PDA

View Full Version : "Only the honor of a paladin is unbreakable..."

theinsulabot
2007-06-07, 10:58 AM
you got to admit, given his track record against that of the other guardians, Soon may have had a point. he would of lost the city its true, but goblins can be eliminated in time, and the gate would have remained safe. and with no help from the PCs either, ...if it wasnt for...the actions...of a fallan paladin....hmm. i just made myself think

truemane
2007-06-07, 11:03 AM
Although now they're going to have to alter that line somewhat.

From now on, when he and his Ghost Martyrs of Doom show up to destroy whatever, he'll have to say:

"Only the Honour of a Paladin AND Miko Miyazaki's conviction that the Universe revolves around her are unbreakable."

Close.

Also, it's true that a Paladin's honour is unbreakable, but only because, once it's broken, the person's not a Paladin anymore. So by definition no Paladin's Honour is broken.

Damn. I just made myself think too....

BobTheDog
2007-06-07, 11:06 AM
How many licks does it take to get to the chewy elven center of a Vaarsuvius pop?

Damn, I made myself think... :smalltongue:

truemane
2007-06-07, 11:08 AM
I just wanted to thank you for THAT mental image...

BobTheDog
2007-06-07, 11:11 AM
I just wanted to thank you for THAT mental image...

No problem, I just wanted to try out my new feat.

mlund
2007-06-07, 11:16 AM
The problem is the Miko is a walking example of the fact that the Honor of a Paladin is breakable. It is her failing that destroys the gate.

Now that there is no gate to protect, I have a suspicion that whatever binds Soon to his deathless existence will no longer apply, so he will wink out of reality without getting to lecture the delusional Miko and she'll go on, self-assured that she's fulfilled her destiny as the 12 gods intended. :P

- Marty Lund

BobTheDog
2007-06-07, 11:20 AM
Now that there is no gate to protect, I have a suspicion that whatever binds Soon to his deathless existence will no longer apply, so he will wink out of reality without getting to lecture the delusional Miko and she'll go on, self-assured that she's fulfilled her destiny as the 12 gods intended. :P

And then the guy will slip in the banana peel?

I think Miko will get lectured by Hinjo, once again. Then, when she resists arrest, she'll break the third window, if it's left unbroken by Elan or Team Evil or whatever could shatter it (Tsukiko casting Shout?)...

theinsulabot
2007-06-07, 04:14 PM
And then the guy will slip in the banana peel?

I think Miko will get lectured by Hinjo, once again. Then, when she resists arrest, she'll break the third window, if it's left unbroken by Elan or Team Evil or whatever could shatter it (Tsukiko casting Shout?)...

i dont think miko will allow herself to be captured again. she is tough enough that she can force the attacker not to be able to worry about taking prisoners.

Kreistor
2007-06-07, 04:32 PM
There's no one capable of capturing her that also has a desire to capture her. Hinjo may want to, but he can't beat her alone. The OotS can beat her, but won't want to capture her. The Sapphire Guard is gone. Xykon and Redcloak probably are too tapped to take her, though they might find it amusing to capture her. The hobgoblin army wouldn't do more than just run her through.

theinsulabot
2007-06-16, 08:44 PM
bump for new thoughts in a post soon/miko world.

Lord_Butters_I
2007-06-16, 09:55 PM
Sorry, but the gate had to be destroyed. There wasn't really any alternative, the only variable was HOW the gate was smashed.

REASONS:
1. Xykon and Redcloak were not going to die. Xykon could have had he body destroyed, but RC would survive and Xykon would grow a new body. They are the main antagonists and the story would die without them. All other antagonists merely support the plot, :xykon: and :redcloak: create it.

2. Xykon and Redcloak were going to fail. If :xykon: and :redcloak: were to succeed in their plans that would innitate the climb to the climax of the story, which will not happen until Rich is ready to end the comic, which will not happen for several years.

3. Xykon and Redcloak would not assault another gate while Soon's continued to exist. Xykon is too impatiant and lazy to go halfway across the world and Redcloak hates the Saphire Guard too much to leave them alive when attacking AC would be feasible in Xykon's plans.

4. Xykon and Redcloak would not lead a second attack on Azure City. This is not an IC reason, but repeating the story arc would be hackneyed, boring, and one of the worst mistakes a storyteller could make. Rich is too smart to undertake such creative suicide.

Therefore, there was no concievable way that the Azure City gate would remain intact after the Attack on Azure City story arc.

Sigbru
2007-06-16, 09:57 PM
Celia talysman seem's unbreakable too, after got marched by hobglobins and a mammoth (at least i think it was) roy head is unbreaakble too, it just have became "censored by high gore"

theinsulabot
2007-06-16, 10:07 PM
Sorry, but the gate had to be destroyed. There wasn't really any alternative, the only variable was HOW the gate was smashed.

REASONS:
1. Xykon and Redcloak were not going to die. Xykon could have had he body destroyed, but RC would survive and Xykon would grow a new body. They are the main antagonists and the story would die without them. All other antagonists merely support the plot, :xykon: and :redcloak: create it.

2. Xykon and Redcloak were going to fail. If :xykon: and :redcloak: were to succeed in their plans that would innitate the climb to the climax of the story, which will not happen until Rich is ready to end the comic, which will not happen for several years.

3. Xykon and Redcloak would not assault another gate while Soon's continued to exist. Xykon is too impatiant and lazy to go halfway across the world and Redcloak hates the Saphire Guard too much to leave them alive when attacking AC would be feasible in Xykon's plans.

4. Xykon and Redcloak would not lead a second attack on Azure City. This is not an IC reason, but repeating the story arc would be hackneyed, boring, and one of the worst mistakes a storyteller could make. Rich is too smart to undertake such creative suicide.

Therefore, there was no concievable way that the Azure City gate would remain intact after the Attack on Azure City story arc.

im not arguing that in the slightest, in fact i quite agree, no actually when i made this thread i was merely pointing out that when the order of the rift were arguing about the best way to guard the gate, soon may have had a point, he and the sapphire guard did MUCH better then the guardian's of the gates whom have come up against :xykon: i am eager to see how the remaining gate defenders do actually. in fact, were it not for miko's actions, i think it wouldn't be a stretch of logic to say that soon was absolutely correct in his methods. as things are, its just worth noting that he did better comparatively, rather then he was absolutly right

Lord_Butters_I
2007-06-16, 10:36 PM
Oh I apologize, I misinterpreted your post.

Atheist_Cleric
2007-06-16, 10:40 PM
Good point. Dorukan couldnt defend his gate agasint Xykon, and Lirians was destroyed simply enough by a fire (the bane of the forest) However, while Soon's method of defence was effective, the remaining two gates also sound interesting. I dont know how effective illusions will be on Xykon, but the description is "an endless series of cunning illusions". That sounds pretty tricky to me. And then there's Kraagors gate...people might think "ooh a whole bunch of random monsters, big deal", but they arnt just normal monsters, Serini had the most powerful monsters in the world sent there. That could mean anything, hell there could be a Tarrasque in that tomb.

theinsulabot
2007-06-16, 10:49 PM
well lirian's gate was trashed, but the implications were that :xykon: had reached that gate to and had accidentally trashed it himself while studying it.

i suppose its actually possible only :redcloak: was at that one there, there is no actual direct link to :xykon: but i cant help but feel had :redcloak: been doing the research he wouldnt of set it off, he either would of successfully gained control of it or backed off till such time as he could gain its power

donkyhotay
2007-06-16, 10:51 PM
Have you read the stats on the tarrasque? I would love to see a tomb big enough to fit a tarrasque in. Also anything powerful enough to get a tarrasque to do whatever you want is powerful enough to not NEED a tarrasque.

Zaragon
2007-06-16, 11:07 PM
The problem is the Miko is a walking example of the fact that the Honor of a Paladin is breakable. It is her failing that destroys the gate.

Yep, so far it looks like each of the gates have been destroyed by something directly related to them. Lirian's gate, by fire; Dorukan's gate, by magic; and Soon's gate, by a fallen paladin.

Makes me wonder what Girard's gate will be destroyed by.

Ringmereth
2007-06-16, 11:38 PM
Yep, so far it looks like each of the gates have been destroyed by something directly related to them. Lirian's gate, by fire; Dorukan's gate, by magic; and Soon's gate, by a fallen paladin.

Makes me wonder what Girard's gate will be destroyed by.

If the pattern sticks, I'm more interested in what could take out Kraagor's, if such is to occur. Maybe the MitD's big appearance will go awry?

enh
2007-06-17, 12:02 AM
Just for the rest of the viewing audience: the quote was introduced during the crayon history in #227, and then revisited when Soon makes his appearance in the throne room.

Atheist_Cleric
2007-06-17, 12:05 AM
As far as "the pattern" goes, I dont see how Girards gate could maintain it. That would mean that an illusion would destroy the Gate, and the only thing an illusion can destroy is the mind.

Unless of course, the power of homebrew comes into effect again and we get some "real" illusions.

theinsulabot
2007-06-17, 12:12 AM
As far as "the pattern" goes, I dont see how Girards gate could maintain it. That would mean that an illusion would destroy the Gate, and the only thing an illusion can destroy is the mind.

Unless of course, the power of homebrew comes into effect again and we get some "real" illusions.

i just blew up my own mind with this thought, so expect it to come out sounding odd and ill-defined, but, if I were to do it and wanted to be a real **** about it, i would rig it so that if someone were to fathom ALL the illusions, especially the ones i had around the gate, it would trigger my version of the self destruct rune and blow the place up, thus, the only way it could be safely interacted with was somebody who was fooled by at least one illusion regarding the gate

theinsulabot
2007-06-17, 12:14 AM
Just for the rest of the viewing audience: the quote was introduced during the crayon history in #227, and then revisited when Soon makes his appearance in the throne room.

hey thanks for mentioning that, i wasn't thinking when i started the thread, and it wasn't to long after soon had shown up so it was still fresh in everyone's mind. my mistake, appreciate you bringing everyone to speed

Spiky
2007-06-17, 08:17 AM
Celia talysman seem's unbreakable too, after got marched by hobglobins and a mammoth (at least i think it was) roy head is unbreaakble too, it just have became "censored by high gore"

Roy fell behind the enemy, not in front of it. He's still lying there.

Just like a chick to give out a booty talisman that can't actually be broken and used. :smallamused: