PDA

View Full Version : What magic items to give out at level 4 (or similarly low level)?

NiklasWB
2015-12-01, 10:52 AM
I’m DMing a group of 4 people and I’d like some advice on what type of magic items you give out at level 4? I know one of the great parts about 5e is that you don’t need to hand out magic items at all, but I feel that my players may be a bit disappointed if they don’t get their “shinies”.

The problem I’m having right now is that the party has barely gotten any items at all so far from adventuring. They have gotten gold and gemstones etc, and have bought a few better armor types and some backup weapons. They are all still pretty much in their starting gear however.

Here are the players:

1. Half-elf Bard (Lore). Has a rapier, studded leather armor, a backup shortsword, shortbow and a musical instrument.
2. Wood Elf Ranger (Hunter). Has a longbow, lots of arrows, studded leather armor and a backup shortsword.
3. Human Warlock (Great Old One, pact of the Blade). Has a spear pact weapon (which has the finesse property, turning it basically into a fluffed rapier), studded leather, light crossbow and a backup dagger.
4. Goliath Barbarian (Totem). Has a great axe, two handaxes, a mace, some javelins, a shield and no armor (if I remember correctly).

They also have maybe 4 potions of healing among them and a one “one-use magic stones” each that give them +5 to stealth for 5 minutes.

To me, none of them seem to have a good natural progression from what they have now in terms of items (that aren’t magical). If they were fighters or paladins and whatnot I could give them some better armor, but as of right now, the only gear progressions seems to be giving them magic items.

So my question is this: Is it too early to give them +1 weapons or +1 armor at level 4? Should I give them items with only minor properties (like a sword that gives you +1 initiative once a day, or a maul that gives you +1 to AC if you don’t take an attack action)?

What magic items from the Dungeon Master’s Guide would you say are appropriate for level 4? Do you have any suggestions?

I don’t have the DMG with me (so the names may be wrong), but a few I had thought about were Boots of Elvenkind, Cloak of Elvenkind, Boots of striding and springing, Thieves’ gloves, Brooch of defending… The items will be coming from a castle armory btw, so preferably armor, weapons or apparel of some sort.

I have no idea if the items that I listed are too powerful or not. I’d also like the players to feel that they got something they can use for their class, and that the reward is about equal for all players.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.

GWJ_DanyBoy
2015-12-01, 11:23 AM
The problem I’m having right now is that the party has barely gotten any items at all so far from adventuring. They have gotten gold and gemstones etc, and have bought a few better armor types and some backup weapons. They are all still pretty much in their starting gear however.

This is normal in my experience.

To me, none of them seem to have a good natural progression from what they have now in terms of items (that aren’t magical). If they were fighters or paladins and whatnot I could give them some better armor, but as of right now, the only gear progressions seems to be giving them magic items.

Again, normal. Most classes provide sufficient starting gear, and the players will need only 1 or 2 armor upgrades and maybe an additional weapon to achieve optimal mundane gear for their build.

At this level, most of the published adventures would have one (maybe 2 if the party is lucky or extremely thorough) permanent magic item for the entire party. And usually the most common sorts, like a +1 dagger or longsword.

Personally I would lean towards something interesting but not powerful, and that isn't particularly geared towards any of the party members.

Shining Wrath
2015-12-01, 11:32 AM
Healing potions are common and helpful.

Low level scrolls for everyone but the barbarian. Some of these scrolls might be buff scrolls that someone else would use on the barbarian, of course.

For the ranger, +1 ammo; half a dozen arrows to use for "this better work" shots.

For the barbarian, some strength boosting potions. Or "barkskin" potions.

For everyone: you are the DM. There are rumors of a greataxe of unusual sharpness which was lost when the owner pursued werewolves into the nearby Wood of Sharp Point Teeth. Perform quest; get shiny.

DireSickFish
2015-12-01, 11:39 AM
I've been rolling for most my loot and at level 0-4 you're likely to land on item table A and it's reasonable to land on item table B. Table A is 50% common healing potions and the best item on it is a greater healing potion. Table B is also mostly consumables, you want to figure out a way for generating spells scrolls.

MrStabby
2015-12-01, 01:14 PM
At level 4 a lot of these items seem very powerful. I would (by my own tastes) start to give out +1 items at about level 6+.

Some items are more appropriate than others though. For example a wand of magic missiles at level 5 wont break anything but it may allow some redundancy or a way to push through some sure damage on a tough target. I would use some weak but permanent magic items to signal that magic items do exist in your world (if you want them to) to keep people excited.

NiklasWB
2015-12-01, 01:16 PM
Perhaps I should have made it clear that the quest they are on now will grant them access to pick one item each from their questgiver's castle armory. That's why I need like 10-15 solid options for them to chose from. So they will all get one item, which should preferably be a weapon, armor or clothing of some sort.

But it seems like +1 weapons and armor may be a bit too powerful at this stage. So again, what magic items from the Dungeon Master’s Guide would you guys say are appropriate for level 4?

JellyPooga
2015-12-01, 01:42 PM
Definitely have a couple of minor wands in the mix; Magic Missile and Web, perhaps (thinking of the Bard and Warlock, respectively).

A [Weapon] of Warning is a tidy piece of kit; the Barbarian might like it (going with the whole "feral senses" thing).

As a "for anyone" type choice, perhaps a Luckstone, Rope of Climbing, Ring of Jumping, Warmth or Swimming, Periapt of Health or a Driftglobe.

A Pearl of Power might suit the Bard.

The Warlock might enjoy a Javelin of Lightning if you allow it to conform with the rules you have for his Pact Weapon. The Ranger or Barbarian might also snap this up.

Armour of Resistance would be suitable for anyone.

If this is to be a "choose your poison" type deal, I would make it less targeted. Instead of items that are blatantly for one character or another, give the players an actual choice by having the choices be general and applicable to several or all the characters. Then sit back and watch them argue over who gets what!

Just have a ganders through the Uncommon Items in the DMG; most of them are pretty generic, don't give a static bonus (like a +1 weapon does) but have some kind of situational or "handy but not overpowered" ability. I did just that and came up with the 13 items I've listed above.

Shining Wrath
2015-12-01, 02:09 PM
I think you could justify +1 weapons if the patron is already grateful and they are going to be using them on his behalf.

Some other things: Goggles of Darkvision if the warlock doesn't have it via invocation; Cloak of Resistance might be OP or not.

Erk
2015-12-01, 02:11 PM
I used the random items tables, we got a nice selection of interesting items that were mostly not powerful, and a few powerful ones that have helped define the characters with them (the rogue getting boots of elvenkind was stupid good though)

It depends a little on how much magic you want in your campaign. By level 3, my players have quite a bit more magic than yours and it hasn't made them unsustainably powerful or anything. I just throw a few more cannon fodder enemies into encounters.

Zman
2015-12-01, 03:43 PM
Don't be afraid to use other magical arms and armor that aren't +1 items if you don't want to start numerical escalation just yet. I definitely second something like a Wand of Magic Missiles, or powerful for the level single use items like an Elemental Gem, or something like the Quiver of Ehlonna, or something just plain cool like an Immovable Rod.

There are quite a few uncommon items in the DMG to choose from, or you can create some. Just a couple of Magical arms and armor to choose from...

Firebrand: A magical blade that bursts into flame when you speak the command word, it also provides light equivalent to a Torch. It deals an additional D4 points of Fire Damage. Roll a D8 1-2 Dagger, 3-4 Shortsword, 5-6 Longsword, 7 Scimitar, 8 Rapier, 9 Two Handed Sword, 10 Roll again.

Thunderstick: A magical blunt weapon that cracks with thunder when ever it hits something. Randomly determine the type of blunt weapon. It deals an additional D4 points of Thunder Damage and every time it hits an enemy it creates an audible boom that can be heard hundreds of feat away.

Mirrorswords: A Pair of magical scimitars that grant the bearer the equivalent of the Two Weapon Fighting Style when wielded. Mirrorswords count as nonmagical scimitars when not in the possession of a single individual.

Lucky Bow: A magical bow that is unusually lucky. When an attack roll of a 1 with a Lucky bow is made count that roll as a 10 instead.

Lucky Arrow: A magical Arrow that always seems to find its mark and seems to find its way back to its owner. When firing a shot with the lucky arrow it had advantage and never suffers disadvantage due to range. Also it is virtually indestructible and is generally recoverable.

Minotaur Hide Armor: Hide armor made from layers of Minotaur Hide and adorned with a Minotaur horn on each shoulder. After a Dash action a character wearing Minotaur Hide can made a single attack as a bonus action. You could even make this a Proficient Gore attack with the Shoulder horns for a D8+Str.

Shield of Readiness: Shield that always seems to be there when you need it. A Shield of Readiness can be donned or doffed ie equipped/unequipped as a bonus action.

Shield of Throwing: Sheild that can be thrown and always returns to its owner(Yes Captain America's Shield). Shield is 20/60', deals d4+Str, can be returned to the Thrower with a bonus action. The Shield of Throwing must be equipped to be thrown and returned.

Dagger of Returning: A magical Dagger than returns to its owner's hand when a command word is uttered. As a bonus action call the dagger to your hand, similar to the Eldritch Knight Bonded Weapon.

Spear/Axe of Gruumsch: A gruesome spear/battleaxe/greataxe usually intended for servants of the One-Eyed Orc God. Grand +2 Strength to a maximum of 20. One eye becomes blind(closed) granting Disadvantage on Perception Checks where sight is advantageous. Also, while wielding a Axe of Gruumsch the bearer cannot end a Dash action further away from an enemy than they started.

Now, none but the Lucky Bow or the Spear/Axe of Gruumsch offer a direct numerical benefit as far as bounded Accuracy is concerned, although each item is fun, interesting, and something many different characters could imagine using. Even the Lucky bow effectively is only a +1 to hit bow, but damn would it be fun in play, you could describe the arrows ricocheting to hit their target etc. Or the Lucky Arrow, an archer could see them selves holding onto that prized possession pulling it out when it really counts and really putting a lot of stock into getting it back. The Spear of Gruumsch, well it is thematic for a Forgotten Realms game, even though it does grant a numberical benefit, +2 Str which is effectively what a +1 weapon does, by 8th level for most Str characters will hit 20 Str so that would mean it loses it's benefit and is likely to be upgraded but it'd still make one hell of a story piece.

None of these items should really be imbalancing, but all should grant a tangible and likely fun benefit that feels special. I mean who wouldn't want to basically do a flying tackle and impale an enemy with Minotaur Hide armor, or draw their Mirroswords and wield them with a skill far beyond their own. Eventually almost every item will be replaced except the Lucky Arrow, which could be lost and is never used more than once in an encounter, or the Dagger of Returning which could be left and summoned when captured without gear, etc.

Daishain
2015-12-01, 04:45 PM
anything that adds to attack rolls, damage, AC, or saves are preferably to be avoided for now. These items can disrupt the rather delicate game balance.

I would instead suggest utility items such as a bag of holding or immovable rod, or flavor items with minimal mechanical benefit. (IE. a sword that emits 30' of bright light when drawn)

If the party suffers from a particular weakness, you could also act to alleviate it. For instance, a magic wand of cure wounds with a limited number of charges that refresh daily can greatly aid a group with limited out of combat healing resources.

snacksmoto
2015-12-01, 05:42 PM
How about some less-than-minor magical items that don't give a straight up +1, minor magic items that are based around one use per short or long rest.

Perhaps weapons that can deal +1d4 damage of a predetermined element once per short rest. This could be triggered at any time they wish, even after they've rolled to determine a hit. If you require it to consume a reaction action, then maybe bump it up to +1d6.

Perhaps a weapon or armour (or armband for the barbarian) that can parry an attack at +3 AC once per long rest, triggered with a reaction. Perhaps armour that resists an element once per long rest. Perhaps armour that gives an AC advantage roll, consuming a reaction action, once per long rest.

As someone else mentioned, perhaps something that is more of a utility magic item than a combat magic item like the aformented item that can emit light at will. I'm fond of personal "container" type magic items like Bags of Holding and Quiver of Ehlonna. You could make something similar but smaller with a Belt Pouch. If your group is more roleplay orientated, perhaps a small pot that can cook food in one minute without the need of a fire that would betray their location and insures whatever it cooks is nutritious. The less actual "food" it prepares, the more the resulting gruel is bland and tasteless, though still magically nutritious. Perhaps a tent or other campsite item that wards off encounters in the night.
Maybe someone can come up with some other useful but still minor magical equipment.

NiklasWB
2015-12-02, 09:02 AM
I've been making a list of potential weapons and items that could work in this instance. I'd appreciate any comments or critique.

Weapons:

1. Stonewall’s Defender Maul (grants +1 to AC until the start of your next turn if you don’t take the attack action.
2. Twilight shortsword (+1 to damage when in dim light or darker)
3. Swiftfinger shortsword (+1 to initiative when drawn)
4. Balanced Elven Longblade (finesse longsword that can deal piercing or slashing damage)
5. Saving Grace longsword (grants advantage on one saving throw per day)
6. Quiver of Endless Spring (magically replenishes up to 20 non-magical arrows every morning if the quiver has less than 20 arrows. The quiver can hold no more than 20 arrows)
7. Bull’s Greataxe (Adds +10 to walking speed when sprinting. Also if you move at least 15 feet in a straight line before taking the attack action, you can add +1 bludgeoning damage to the first attack)

Armor/Clothing:

1. Studded leather of Luck (once per day you can use your reaction to add +1 to AC until the start of your next turn)
2. Bracers of Steady Aim (one can use one’s bonus action to once per day add +3 to hit on an attack with a shortbow or a longbow)
3. Boots of Elvenkind (from DMG)
4. Boots of Striding and Springing (from DMG)
5. Brooch of Shielding (from DMG)
6. Gloves of thievery (from DMG)

Any of them too good or too bad? Are they about equal or are some far better/worse than the others?

Tanarii
2015-12-02, 10:24 AM
At level four they're expected to have about 200gp. That's enough to get a better/backup weapon, but not to upgrade armor or get battle mounts. Part of the problem is you've got party that's topping out at Studded Leather. If they're not interested in mounts & boarding, Healing Potions, or other PHB gimmick equipment, you'll need to start finding interesting in-game things other than adventuring gear for them to spend money on much earlier than normal. Or come up with reasons other than loot for them to adventure.

Goober4473
2015-12-02, 12:16 PM
Here are some items I created for my current campaign that might be the sort you're looking for:

Ring of Shocking Grasp (Uncommon): While attuned, this ring made of shocker lizard bone carved into the shape of jagged lightning bolts allows the wearer to cast shocking grasp as a cantrip, using Charisma as a magic ability. It can also cause any melee attack by the wearer to deal lightning damage instead of its normal type. When used, the ring shifts rapidly into a new configuration of lightning bolts. These rings were once used by the priests of primitive human tribes in the Storm Lands, though those tribes are now only a distant memory.

Rod of Naming (Uncommon): This simple iron rod is inscribed with very tiny text: a list of names. When held, the holder's (true) name is added to the end of the list, if it is not on the list already. The rod already contains the names of a few hundred people, and the true names of a dozen or so of fiends (which may or may not be long dead), and has room for many thousands more. The rod was created by a cabal of gnomish warlocks in ages past to trick fiends into giving up their true names, and a fiend has a small chance (DC 25 Intelligence (History) check) to recognize it on sight, though even if they do not, close inspection of the text may reveal the item's nature. Reading the text usually requires a magnifying glass, though a successful Wisdom (Perception) check, DC 15, can make out a single name.

Orb of Memory (Uncommon): This simple crystal orb glows dimly and always looks somehow familiar to anyone that sees it. While attuned and on your person, the orb grants you a +2 bonus to Intelligence saves and Intelligence checks to remember information, such as with Arcana, History, Nature, or Religion. The orb has a notable drawback: while attuned, any decision or course of action begins to look incorrect, as thoughts of why it might not work, why it might be immoral, why it might be too risky for you, and how alternatives would be better, all fill your head over the course of a few minutes.

Everflowing Cloak (Uncommon): While attuned, this majestic cloak flows with emphatic wind whenever the wearer poses, speaks dramatically, or otherwise acts cool. Such a wearer can add their proficiency bonus to Charisma checks, or twice their proficiency bonus if they already would add it, so long as the check is part of a dramatic speech, final showdown, desperate plea, etc.
In addition, the cloak carries a single charge, which can be expended in order to gain advantage on one attack roll, saving throw, or ability check. The cloak regains this charge whenever an attuned wearer performs a needlessly risky or dramatic action, such as wasting a turn monologuing, casting a spell of unreasonable power on a weak or already defeated foe, or boldly striding into a necromancer queen’s court and challenging her to a duel.

Flamboyant Hat (Uncommon): This wide-brimmed, bright red hat is covered in ornate feathers. An attuned wearer can cast disguise self at will (DC 18), but the hat never changes appearance, and the spell ends if the hat is removed.

Lucky Copper (Uncommon): This copper piece is covered in dents and chips, having blocked many a fatal attack. While kept in a front pocket or similar location that is likely to be struck, if you would be reduced to 0 hit points by piercing or slashing damage, roll a d20. On a 20, you are reduced to 1 hit point instead, as the copper piece takes some of the hit.

kaoskonfety
2015-12-02, 12:29 PM
My group has just hit level 3 and they are about to get their first item, a magic dagger (no pluses) that can pierce the flesh of the otherwise immune beasty in the dungeon, that incidentally bears the curse of lycanthopy (Werewolf - DC 12 on injury or be affected the following full moon).

I expect them to notice it is magic and use it. They do not have identify between them. I expect to get many laughs before they figure it out. I expect them to be stuck resolving to keep it anyway because I'm going to be stingy as HELLS with further permanent magical weapons and several of the planned bads are resistant or immune to non-magical weapons. And if they dispose of it by any means other than "melting it to slag" it will turn back up in hostile hands (or claws whatever)

I'm not handing out what they need (magical rapier, a wisdom buff item, something neat for the wrestler monk, and a magic ax) I'm handing them what makes sense for their foes to have that MAY be useful to them (a cult worshipping the moon, night and holding were-creatures sacred/ a desirable state? Super evil dagger time!)

As far as reasonable?
+1 weapons do mess with the bound accuracy, but not much. These being available from level 1 does not break the game open. But still favour tricks over +1, the players remember it more (returning axes, swords that deal an added fire damage and glow, a bow that lets you ignore cover from living plants)

Almost anything single use is fine and often alot of fun (handing a level 3 party a scroll of Meteor Swarm was the BEST DAY EVER, they kept acting like if I gave it to them the were going to NEED it sooner or later, I had no such plans. They eventually, nearly a year of play and 6 levels later, used it as a "Knock" spell on some castle gates... and the guards incidentally, to get into the big bad fight. The big bad was immune to fire... it made me sad, and then laugh for hours with the players afterwards.)

Non-recharging variant low level wands will almost never mess anything up for long, I'm a bit hesitant on the current recharging type.

Magic armor with tricks not +1's - glamours, heavy armour that doesn't impose disadvantage on stealth etc.

EvilAnagram
2015-12-02, 12:54 PM
I'm giving my level 4 group a cursed artifact of pretty intense power. Of course, it's going to cause some massive problems in the long run, but a spear that drips with the poison flowing from the mouth of a halfling's skull should probably tip them off.

Logosloki
2015-12-02, 05:49 PM
What do you anticipate the lifespan of the items to be? Are they meant to be rewards or stepping stones? Level-wise they are at the stage where a +1 weapon would be appropriate to be made available. I'd suggest two items. a general +1 weapon or focus (the comforter of DnD), maybe with a minor property and a amulet, ring or some other small accessory that gives their classes more opportunities to use their strengths.

AbyssStalker
2015-12-02, 06:54 PM
I'm surprised someone hasn't posted a link to the thread of Mostly Useless Magic Items:smallbiggrin:.

And no love for the Gloves of Missile Snaring? Almost everyone can have a use for them.

Vogonjeltz
2015-12-02, 06:55 PM
Perhaps I should have made it clear that the quest they are on now will grant them access to pick one item each from their questgiver's castle armory. That's why I need like 10-15 solid options for them to chose from. So they will all get one item, which should preferably be a weapon, armor or clothing of some sort.

But it seems like +1 weapons and armor may be a bit too powerful at this stage. So again, what magic items from the Dungeon Master’s Guide would you guys say are appropriate for level 4?

Give magic weapons that have no bonus, but instead employ the Special Features (DMG 141-143).

Some Examples:

Battleaxe crafted by the Dwarves, it is Ornamented, with gold inlaid Dwarven Runes of the words: "By my light, ye shall gain wealth".
- Attributes: Dwarven creator, Ornament history, Beacon property (bonus action to shed light, details in DMG), Covetous Quirk (bearer becomes obsessed with material wealth).

The Elven Shortsword, Goblinbane. This lightweight (1/2 a normal shortsword) sword is adorned with a pattern of falling stars, and simply holding it makes the wielder feel good, like they can achieve anything. When any goblinoids are within 120 feet, the stars pattern begins to glow a faint blue, and is known by goblins as a dangerous weapon.

A bow of unknown provenance, possibly from an ancient Human kingdom. It appears to be made of glass, yet is unbreakable and floats on water and other liquids (also gives the bearer advantage on Strength (Athletics) checks to swim.

For the GOO Warlock: He sees an amulet bearing the image of many eyes looking in all directions. The eyes appear to be made of jade inlaid on fine silver. When you turn your gaze to look at other things, from the corner of your eye you swear that you can see some of the eyes on the amulet blinking. The quest giver offers up this backstory when he sees you examining the amulet: Ah, yes, that belonged to my great uncle Kelvin. He was a bit...strange, always staring into the skies and always telling others about how it was so important to be watchful. When he died we found that among his things. At first I thought it should be kept as a family heirloom, but...perhaps you should take it. (If pressed for details, the quest giver admits that he had never seen the amulet before Kelvin's death under strange circumstances, and he feels at times as if the amulet is...watching him. Previous attempts to pass the amulet off or sell it have failed owing to the unease it creates in those who bear it.) If worn, the amulet will whisper warnings to the wearer.

(Aberration made, Sinister history, Guardian (+2 bonus to initiative if the bearer isn't incapacitated), Repulsive quirk (wearer feels a sense of distate in contact with the item and continues to sense discomfort while bearing it), possibly Hidden Message depending on how much you want to creep out your player.)

You might phrase the reward phase as something like this: You are escorted to the castle's armory. Festooned along the walls are racks of weapons and some spare armor. As you peruse the possible rewards you come across an unusual item (present the item to the player along with some backstory by the quest giver, presumably they would take it).

If you want these to be lifelong items, you could provide upgrades to them over time as the players discover new facets and powers (much like the sentient items later in the DMG).

AeonsShadow
2015-12-02, 10:59 PM
I’m DMing a group of 4 people and I’d like some advice on what type of magic items you give out at level 4? I know one of the great parts about 5e is that you don’t need to hand out magic items at all, but I feel that my players may be a bit disappointed if they don’t get their “shinies”.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you.

I think I should direct you to this list (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?399328-List-of-Mostly-Useless-Magic-Items) for some fun ones you can use as hand outs,

of the list I suggest for them as follows:

Bard: Cloak of Dramatic Billowing (+1 to Cha included, possible minus to sneak)
Ranger:Howard's Handy Haversack - A normal Haversack that always appears when you seem to need it, usually just as you turn around and start to look.
Warlock: Arsonist's Tinderbox: An otherwise innocuous tinderbox that sets fire to everything - flammable or not - in a 20' radius.
Barbarian: The THINGY (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19026954&postcount=195) Or the Pinky Ring (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18972489&postcount=174)

other possibilities: The Magic Ring of Magic Detection (glows if within five feet of a magic item.)

Cat Ring: This ring turns you into a cat while worn. Also improves attitudes towards you from other cats

Portable Pool: Looks and acts like a Portable Hole, but when thrown on the ground, this item becomes a nice Swimming Pool.

this one looks fun for a group~ Gorilla Glass- This elegant looking wineglass does nothing unusual until it is filled with liquid and someone attempts to drink from it. The drinker must make a dc15 dex save or take 8d6 bludgeoning damage when the liquid turns into an enraged adult gorilla mid-sip. The gorilla tries to kill the drinker until one of them is slain, at which point the gorilla evaporates.

NiklasWB
2015-12-03, 03:26 AM
It seems to be a schism in terms of what items are appropriate for level 4. Some seem to think that +1 items are alright at this level, while some seem to think that they are too powerful and that I should give out items with only minor properties (such as light, or a property once per day). Overall, I think these items are supposed to be viable for the party up until maybe level 7, and then they will probaly find something better. They will also probably find more varied types of items before that point.

Also, could someone give these listed items a look and tell me if they are any good/too good and fairly equal in terms of usefulness:

I've been making a list of potential weapons and items that could work in this instance. I'd appreciate any comments or critique.

Weapons:

1. Stonewall’s Defender Maul (grants +1 to AC until the start of your next turn if you don’t take the attack action.
2. Twilight shortsword (+1 to damage when in dim light or darker)
3. Swiftfinger shortsword (+1 to initiative when drawn)
4. Balanced Elven Longblade (finesse longsword that can deal piercing or slashing damage)
5. Saving Grace longsword (grants advantage on one saving throw per day)
6. Quiver of Endless Spring (magically replenishes up to 20 non-magical arrows every morning if the quiver has less than 20 arrows. The quiver can hold no more than 20 arrows)
7. Bull’s Greataxe (Adds +10 to walking speed when sprinting. Also if you move at least 15 feet in a straight line before taking the attack action, you can add +1 bludgeoning damage to the first attack)

Armor/Clothing:

1. Studded leather of Luck (once per day you can use your reaction to add +1 to AC until the start of your next turn)
2. Bracers of Steady Aim (one can use one’s bonus action to once per day add +3 to hit on an attack with a shortbow or a longbow)
3. Boots of Elvenkind (from DMG)
4. Boots of Striding and Springing (from DMG)
5. Brooch of Shielding (from DMG)
6. Gloves of thievery (from DMG)

Any of them too good or too bad? Are they about equal or are some far better/worse than the others?

kaoskonfety
2015-12-03, 09:46 AM
It seems to be a schism in terms of what items are appropriate for level 4. Some seem to think that +1 items are alright at this level, while some seem to think that they are too powerful and that I should give out items with only minor properties (such as light, or a property once per day). Overall, I think these items are supposed to be viable for the party up until maybe level 7, and then they will probaly find something better. They will also probably find more varied types of items before that point.

Also, could someone give these listed items a look and tell me if they are any good/too good and fairly equal in terms of usefulness:

All excellent choices. I'd be more inclined to provide an assortment to the players (as above) and say "one each" and let them sort it out, because you are going to get alot of argument about relative balance. Some of it goo arguement. But alot of time and opinion involved

The whole "do you care about the weapons +1" split is there for alot of reasons. I for instance do not care about a few pluses. I'm not running meat-grinder, combat as part of the puzzle dungeons, or very carefully sculpted combats. Half the time I'm seat of pants'ing the whole session.

Anyway, more in line with "no +1 required" items:

Weapons that overcome certain situations of disadvantage - a bow that ignores cover/concealment/disadvantage) from a type of thing (darkness, stone, weather, being drunk), melee weapons with neat side effects (1 fire damage, can light normals fires, illuminates as a torch), thrown weapons with a bit of both (returning at the start of you next turn, and arching though foes if needed - make it a bonus action or reaction attack without stat bonuses)

Armour that overcome certain situations of disadvantage - Heavy armour that doesn't penalize stealth/has no STR requirement/floats in water, medium armor that allows greater DEx bonus applied/can be worn comfortably while sleeping/keeps you warm or cool in extreem weather

Single use, instant effect, nearly anything - short of wishes there is not too much that will seriously screw you as DM and lots that will make the players feel AWESOME, when they drop the hammer a single bead from a necklace of fireballs (packed with GREAT care and issued with manny cautions), Qualls Feather tokens (my favourites)

Utility - anything with no immediate combat value thats kinda neat - Folding Boat, extradimentional storage, a ring that gives you a permanent unseen servant/tensors floating disc at will (concentration)/rope trick once a day

Kinda combat related - back to "overcoming disadvantage" items - Eyes of Night (or similar perception item the gives 30' blind sight, say the echolocation version, boots of tremorsence might also be fun), movement boosts - either flat +5' or ignore difficult terrain (or a certain type if your like - like Web spells, sure, maybe walking on deep snow or thought dense foliage)

EvilAnagram
2015-12-03, 10:27 AM
Those are all perfectly nice items, but to me am item should be significant. I like to imbue my items with greater significance, and that means making them unique in a way that will always be useful.