PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Sneaky Thrower.

D4rkh0rus
2015-12-01, 02:56 PM
Hi Playground, I've recently been wanting to play PF, Since I've never played that system before. I wanted to make a Sneaky Character Focused on throwing weapons (Shuriken, Kunai, etc) Kind of as a nod to my first 3.5 character (A rogue that threw daggers)

But, I've no idea what class to take, Ninja or Unleashed Rogue.

They both have cool things, but they're mutually exclusive apparently. (I like the Ki stuff that ninja Has, and the Trapfinding and the Sneak attack extra effects of the rogue) I read that as an Advanced Talent, rogues can get a mini-Ki pool, but Its a Talent that competing with other good ones and it comes rather late.

whats the general consensus Playground? ninja or U-Rogue?

Geddy2112
2015-12-01, 04:19 PM
You could go far strike monk. You can spend a ki point per round to make your thrown weapons do unarmed strike damage. Far strike monk also gets a lot of bonus feats you would be taking anyways, and a very critical ability to stealth post sniping with only a -10 instead of a -20 at level 3.

Urogue gets dex to damage at level 3, and the ability to add sneak attack. Potentially more than unarmed strike damage unless creatures are immune or resistant. You can take the advanced talent at level 10 to give you the -10 to stealth post sniping.

Ninja has invisibility, and flurry of stars, but shurikens won't do as much damage as other thrown weapons.

For any sneaky thrower, carry a crossbow to have a long ranged sniping option.

D4rkh0rus
2015-12-01, 04:29 PM
You could go far strike monk. You can spend a ki point per round to make your thrown weapons do unarmed strike damage. Far strike monk also gets a lot of bonus feats you would be taking anyways, and a very critical ability to stealth post sniping with only a -10 instead of a -20 at level 3.

Urogue gets dex to damage at level 3, and the ability to add sneak attack. Potentially more than unarmed strike damage unless creatures are immune or resistant. You can take the advanced talent at level 10 to give you the -10 to stealth post sniping.

Ninja has invisibility, and flurry of stars, but shurikens won't do as much damage as other thrown weapons.

For any sneaky thrower, carry a crossbow to have a long ranged sniping option.

I considered Monk, but I want to have a lot of skills, with a monk I would be missing a few, or so it seems.
The U-Rogue gets Dex to Damage on melee attacks, not thrown weapons, So its not that great. I mean, for finessing daggers or shortswords to have a melee option is not a bad idea, but yeah (Since they both have the TWF feat line)

Either way, Damage is not much of a concern, since Sneak attack. Sure, some enemies may be immune, but its the price to pay. Also, I highly doubt that a DM will be putting enough Immune enemies to warrant changing classes.

stanprollyright
2015-12-01, 04:33 PM
Ask if you can use the Master Thrower PrC in 3.5's Complete Warrior.

There is a Knife Master archetype that makes your Sneak Attack dice into d8s with knife weapons. Combine that with URogue, maybe the Scout archetype as well, and you can do a lot of damage throwing knives at folks.

Khosan
2015-12-01, 04:51 PM
If DSP stuff is on the table, a Stalker using primarily Solar Wind maneuvers makes for a pretty good sneaky thrower type.

D4rkh0rus
2015-12-01, 04:56 PM
If DSP stuff is on the table, a Stalker using primarily Solar Wind maneuvers makes for a pretty good sneaky thrower type.

Sadly Its only Pathfinder stuff, no 3rd party, nor 3.5

Psyren
2015-12-01, 04:56 PM
I recommend Rope Dart as your throwing weapon of choice. You can do all the cool thrown tricks with it, and you won't be tossing your gold away.

Also the new Weapon Master's Handbook has Startoss Style and a number of other goodies for a thrower build.