PDA

View Full Version : low level pc needs help

Nosta
2015-12-01, 03:57 PM
I have a level 2 pc first level monk so I can snag that alt class feature that lets me do one attack for double damage and 1 level of fighter

I took the mineral warrior tempelate that's why i'm level 2 well everyone else is level 3

my feats are as follows

1 steel wind
H luck devotion
fighter weapon focus nodachi
flaw punishing stance
flaw power attack
flaw luck devotion

my weapon is a steel nodachi
stats are str 18 dex 10 con 18 int 11 wis 8 cha 7
is there any way I can improve this pc?

Flickerdart
2015-12-01, 04:10 PM
Loads of ways.

Get rid of Weapon Focus. You can't even use a nodachi with Decisive Strike. You can't have 3 flaws anyway so just drop this one.
Luck Devotion sucks. Travel Devotion is better for a warrior, especially if you plan to use Decisive Strike.
You cannot take Martial Study yet - your IL is only 1/2 at level 1 when you get these feats, and you need IL 1 to qualify for 1st level strikes. Your only move here is to take Fighter as your 2nd level and use the bonus feat on Martial Study (Steel Wind) but you can't get Martial Stance until next level.
Fighter also sucks. Take barbarian instead - Pounce is awesome, and you can rage to boost your CON and thus your Earth Strike's accuracy. This will let you deliver a very powerful Decisive Strike because you can sink tons of BAB into PA without compromising accuracy.

Nosta
2015-12-01, 04:15 PM
Loads of ways.

Get rid of Weapon Focus. You can't even use a nodachi with Decisive Strike. You can't have 3 flaws anyway so just drop this one.
Luck Devotion sucks. Travel Devotion is better for a warrior, especially if you plan to use Decisive Strike.
You cannot take Martial Study yet - your IL is only 1/2 at level 1 when you get these feats, and you need IL 1 to qualify for 1st level strikes. Your only move here is to take Fighter as your 2nd level and use the bonus feat on Martial Study (Steel Wind) but you can't get Martial Stance until next level.
Fighter also sucks. Take barbarian instead - Pounce is awesome, and you can rage to boost your CON and thus your Earth Strike's accuracy. This will let you deliver a very powerful Decisive Strike because you can sink tons of BAB into PA without compromising accuracy.

Dm is allowig 3 flaws

Red Fel
2015-12-01, 04:17 PM
is there any way I can improve this pc?

Sure there is. The default answer is to roll a Wizard.

If you want a more helpful answer, you need to ask a more helpful question. I would suggest starting with what you want this PC to do. Knowing that can help provide narrow, more detailed answers.

It appears, at first glance, that you want a heavy hitter. Oddly, you have both Monk and Fighter levels, and are using a nodachi. Clearly, you want to hit things hard, but don't quite grasp how to do that, or you might not have taken the Monk level.

I agree with Flickerdart. If your goal is "pick up a weapon and hit things hard," go Barbarian. That's simple and straightforward. If you want more than that, you'll have to tell us what it is you want.

The default answer to "can I improve it" is generally "yes, with Wizard." If you want more than that, give us more to work with.

Nosta
2015-12-01, 04:19 PM
Sure there is. The default answer is to roll a Wizard.

If you want a more helpful answer, you need to ask a more helpful question. I would suggest starting with what you want this PC to do. Knowing that can help provide narrow, more detailed answers.

It appears, at first glance, that you want a heavy hitter. Oddly, you have both Monk and Fighter levels, and are using a nodachi. Clearly, you want to hit things hard, but don't quite grasp how to do that, or you might not have taken the Monk level.

I agree with Flickerdart. If your goal is "pick up a weapon and hit things hard," go Barbarian. That's simple and straightforward. If you want more than that, you'll have to tell us what it is you want.

The default answer to "can I improve it" is generally "yes, with Wizard." If you want more than that, give us more to work with.

Well there are no wizards here lol. Can you give me so ideas for feats?

Red Fel
2015-12-01, 04:20 PM
Well there are no wizards here lol. Can you give me so ideas for feats?

That depends. Can you give me some ideas for what you're trying to do with this PC?

Nosta
2015-12-01, 04:25 PM
That depends. Can you give me some ideas for what you're trying to do with this PC?

Basicly i kinda. Want to be a heavy damage dealer that can soke up damage as well. I dont even now what weapon i should use lol

Red Fel
2015-12-01, 04:27 PM
Basicly i kinda. Want to be a heavy damage dealer that can soke up damage as well. I dont even now what weapon i should use lol

Okay, good. See, that's a good start. Next question: What books, magazines, and assorted resources are available to you? I don't want to come up with a Tome of Battle suggestion, for example, if that option is off of the table.

Nosta
2015-12-01, 04:33 PM
Okay, good. See, that's a good start. Next question: What books, magazines, and assorted resources are available to you? I don't want to come up with a Tome of Battle suggestion, for example, if that option is off of the table.

All books allowed. Fact is were i an oriental adventure game but i,m a forgiener that came from a norse like country
Tob is allowed but no crusader and we all ready have a warblade drg mag allowed as well

Red Fel
2015-12-01, 04:53 PM
All books allowed. Fact is were i an oriental adventure game but i,m a forgiener that came from a norse like country
Tob is allowed but no crusader and we all ready have a warblade drg mag allowed as well

Okay. If you can't use Crusader and you already have a Warblade, then ToB isn't really allowed. You don't want a Swordsage for this.

You want to be able to dish it and take it? We're going to Barbarian country. Step one, you want two ACFs - Spirit Lion Totem (Complete Champion) replaces your Fast Movement with Pounce, meaning you can perform a full attack on a charge, and Whirling Frenzy (Unearthed Arcana, also here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#rageVariantWhirlingFrenzy )) replaces your Rage with the Whirling Frenzy ability, which grants an extra attack and a bonus to AC and Reflex saves. Hit harder, take hits better, achieved.

Want more? There are some great Barbarian PrCs out there. Fist of the Forest stands out, for its ability to get you Con to AC, some serious unarmed brutality, a replacement for your lost Fast Movement, and a stacking source of rage. Frostrager also stands out, for its armor bonus, unarmed strikes and rend. Or go the other direction and grab the Champion of Gwynharwyf, a Barbarian that gets Paladin abilities.

There's still more. Instead of playing a Warblade, you can dip Warblade to qualify for Ironheart Aura and Stormguard Warrior feats. Doing so sets you up to be an absolute monster. With the right source of natural weapons - say, from Totemist - you can do outrageous levels of damage every other round, thanks to Stormguard Warrior's Combat Rhythm function. The list goes on.

If you're playing some kind of viking, a Barbarian "berserker" fits the bill rather nicely. Fluff and crunch line up well on this one. Think it over.

Nosta
2015-12-01, 05:04 PM
Okay. If you can't use Crusader and you already have a Warblade, then ToB isn't really allowed. You don't want a Swordsage for this.

You want to be able to dish it and take it? We're going to Barbarian country. Step one, you want two ACFs - Spirit Lion Totem (Complete Champion) replaces your Fast Movement with Pounce, meaning you can perform a full attack on a charge, and Whirling Frenzy (Unearthed Arcana, also here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#rageVariantWhirlingFrenzy )) replaces your Rage with the Whirling Frenzy ability, which grants an extra attack and a bonus to AC and Reflex saves. Hit harder, take hits better, achieved.

Want more? There are some great Barbarian PrCs out there. Fist of the Forest stands out, for its ability to get you Con to AC, some serious unarmed brutality, a replacement for your lost Fast Movement, and a stacking source of rage. Frostrager also stands out, for its armor bonus, unarmed strikes and rend. Or go the other direction and grab the Champion of Gwynharwyf, a Barbarian that gets Paladin abilities.

There's still more. Instead of playing a Warblade, you can dip Warblade to qualify for Ironheart Aura and Stormguard Warrior feats. Doing so sets you up to be an absolute monster. With the right source of natural weapons - say, from Totemist - you can do outrageous levels of damage every other round, thanks to Stormguard Warrior's Combat Rhythm function. The list goes on.

If you're playing some kind of viking, a Barbarian "berserker" fits the bill rather nicely. Fluff and crunch line up well on this one. Think it over.

Ok. But what feats should i take. I know power attack for sure

jok
2015-12-01, 05:13 PM
A goliath kind of fits the "stone" fluff and has LA+1 aswell.
One level of Goliath babarian.
For pounce and goliath substitution that increases your size while rageing.
2 Level of dungeon crasher fighter.

Feats: power attack, improved bullrush and knockback for the beginning. Later aim for shock trooper and leap attack. Basically an ubercharger with knockback and dungeon crasher. That will keep you on par with the warblade in combat damage wise. Combat reflexes and a reach weapon would give you even more battlefield control.

If you can spare the feat, exotic spiked chain will help alot since you need atleast one power attack to trigger knockback. Doing an attack of oppertunity in 5 ft with a reach weapon is not allowed, one can get around this with amor spikes, but they don't allow power attack. But spiked chain threatenes 5 feet aswell.

Nosta
2015-12-01, 05:46 PM
A goliath kind of fits the "stone" fluff and has LA+1 aswell.
One level of Goliath babarian.
For pounce and goliath substitution that increases your size while rageing.
2 Level of dungeon crasher fighter.

Feats: power attack, improved bullrush and knockback for the beginning. Later aim for shock trooper and leap attack. Basically an ubercharger with knockback and dungeon crasher. That will keep you on par with the warblade in combat damage wise. Combat reflexes and a reach weapon would give you even more battlefield control.

If you can spare the feat, exotic spiked chain will help alot since you need atleast one power attack to trigger knockback. Doing an attack of oppertunity in 5 ft with a reach weapon is not allowed, one can get around this with amor spikes, but they don't allow power attack. But spiked chain threatenes 5 feet aswell.

so I am going to go down the leap attack pounce build and I'd like to now should I use a falchion or should I use a merucal great sword

jok
2015-12-01, 06:02 PM
I recommend a reach weapon. No aoo from large enemy while charging. The damage code of the weapon is not important. Get a +1 reach weapon and amor spikes fast and use whatever other stuff you loot. Don't set the weapon choice in stone with weapon focus feat.