PDA

View Full Version : Optimization paladin/sorcerer build help?

Spiritchaser
2015-12-01, 04:21 PM
So I'm making another character.

The two other players in the party can both be described as dex based melee dps (a rogue and an ek dual wield fighter). Both are more concept builds.

In order to provide something at least approaching tank like durability, heals, anti-magic and some casting utility as well as decent spell dps, I'm thinking paladin sorcerer.

As before we're the bad guys, so oathbreaker will be allowed by the DM
I'm torn

Option 1
Oathbreaker to 12, Dragon sorc 8

Option 2
Really nasty LN vengence paladin to 6, favored soul of Assuran (Aka Hoar) 14

Option 1 is tougher, and does some absolutely unmentionable single target dpr... Even without smites it's... Really almost wrong. Elemental weapon at high level plus Dragon sorc plus aura of hate is... Wow.Option 1 is also mostly melee... Could go dex, and doesn't run Into problems with components for spells, since most of what I'd use for combat are for smites, can be fixed with Warcaster or are paladin spells which can use the holy symbol on his shield. Oh, and option one gets remove curse.

Option 2 might be a better fit for the party. He has fewer HP but still gets the same AC and shield, and still gives everyone great saves... but he brings more utility. He has a fraction of the melee dpr, but a desintegrate will quickly close that gap.

The problem for him is casting. He almost HAS to fight with an arcane focus staff one handed as a quarterstaff, since the mixed functionality only works when I can cast AND hit things. He also needs to go str, since the staff is not a finesse weapon. Option 2 also gets spirit guardians around level 11 (the listed domain for asuran is war) and I love the idea of that spell as an "aura" of death around him (in thinking arc of the covenant face melting goodness (evil?) all around) he'll also need more stat/feat investment in durability.

Option 1 looks like it just works, option two is more interesting, but has some serious challenges and issues.

Can anyone suggest problems I'm not seeing, or other options for casting with option2?

HarrisonF
2015-12-01, 11:29 PM
What level are you starting at or playing to?

I really love paladin 6/sorcerer X. It is one of the few multiclass variants which gets really good stuff at each level and is playable from level 1 and up.

I would generally pick up warcaster to help with component issues (it gives you somatic + verbal). You should check with your DM if he will still be a stickler for material components or not if you have that feat. Most will be fine with shield or shield + crystal or something like that. If he is OK with it, then you can go without the staff and instead go Dex based.

Paeleus
2015-12-02, 01:01 AM
I'm playing a similar character. I settled on basing a lot of my spell choice on non-material component spells such as Mirror Image, Shield, Greater Invis, Counterspell, etc.

But grabbing a feather to cast Fly is not unheard of. And whose to say Hold Person's requirement of a bar of steel is not fulfilled by a sword? The answer is the DM.

What spells are you taking? What level are you currently at?

Spiritchaser
2015-12-02, 01:56 AM
Thanks for the replies
The God of vengence favored soul with vengence pally option is the one I have more of a connection to, but not if it hurts to play.

We are starting at one, though I have a suspicion that we may level a bit faster than would be strictly to code.

The problem with 6/14 is for spells like disintegrate and fireball, hypnotic pattern and web. Those are in combat spells that I'd like to be able to toss around as needed, but can't.

12/8 just has a totally different focus, even if some of the spell options are the same.

Edit: and of course, at 20, the 6/14 gets full time, no questions asked, at will wings.

Spiritchaser
2015-12-02, 10:39 AM
Ok, I took this up with the dm and he suggested that special rapiers as arcane focii made the gods very angry. He also muttered something unintelligible about warlocks hanging dead beetles on strings and dangling them off weapons. Probably just a reference I don't get.

However: after light persistence he did houserule/agree that if I moved down a die size then something might be done.

So: as long as I'm using a short sword I could, eventually, pay/blackmail some sufficiently greedy/drunk/foolish dwarf/elf/horribly manipulative planar creature to make me a sword -focus

Not sure that I'd ever find a magic one but I can hope.

So: this changes things. I'd still love to hear comments concerns or suggestions, but at least this build could also "just work"

As an aside I'd love to hear any thoughts on the advisability of that ruling. It makes this build work the way I see it working, but does it seem too far off?

SharkForce
2015-12-02, 11:43 AM
out of curiosity, is the problem with build 2 that you don't want to use strength, or that you don't like staff?

you could arguably use a rod/scepter instead and treat it as either a club or mace depending on DM discretion, and being a strength build is not a bad thing inherently.

Spiritchaser
2015-12-02, 12:32 PM
A bit of both. I looked into having a staff that looked like Solaris (imperius's spear/staff from D3) and that would have been ok... Though not quite right. The more I thought about it the more I wanted to save THAT for another concept.

The other two characters are stealthy types and I'd prefer to keep that up, I'd also prefer high dex for the better saves and innitiative.

Mostly I'd like him to look like an avenging angel at lvl20 and for that, a sword works best for me. Shortswords can be 24 or 25 inches blade length, so as long as he's not a towering monster, it should "look" ok with a shortsword

MrStabby
2015-12-03, 07:36 PM
A bit of both. I looked into having a staff that looked like Solaris (imperius's spear/staff from D3) and that would have been ok... Though not quite right. The more I thought about it the more I wanted to save THAT for another concept.

The other two characters are stealthy types and I'd prefer to keep that up, I'd also prefer high dex for the better saves and innitiative.

Mostly I'd like him to look like an avenging angel at lvl20 and for that, a sword works best for me. Shortswords can be 24 or 25 inches blade length, so as long as he's not a towering monster, it should "look" ok with a shortsword

Play a halfling. Then he can look like an avenging angel, just far away.