PDA

View Full Version : Multiplatform The Worms Series

8BitNinja
2015-12-01, 05:29 PM
The developers of Team17 have made my favorite strategy game series, Worms

If you have played any of the games, please list which ones and tell a story about you experiences

Sean Mirrsen
2015-12-01, 05:37 PM
Oi. I have played... almost all of them. Armageddon was the most popular for a while here, then World Party. The 3D ones didn't take nearly as well. I've missed out on most of the later ones until recently, when I picked up a whole bundle of most Worms games on a Steam sale. Sadly limited in data plan, so trying out only one of the less recent ones. The different "weight classes" are kind of interesting.

The first Worms game I played, however, was the first Worms game... on the Genesis. I have to say, the differences in bullet physics make the Uzi a much less awesome digging tool in the non-Genesis versions. :P

Psyren
2015-12-02, 09:49 AM
Armageddon was my favorite - the best weapon variety, the best soundpacks, the best custom levels. The scene really fell off after their attempt at 3D failed so spectacularly.

Hotseat with my brother and cousins was always good for a laugh - I put hours into that game.

8BitNinja
2015-12-02, 02:15 PM
I never talked about my experiences with it yet, so here it goes

My first Worms game was Armageddon for the game boy color, I loved that Worms game even though it had about seven weapons, no grid, and an annoying sound when you walk, but it was amazing

My brother and I loved the jungle map, but the funniest thing was about it is that in that map, there was a crevice where you were 1 pixel over the water, and killing someone after landing there gave the best reactions

Psyren
2015-12-02, 03:21 PM
I can't speak to the handheld/console versions as I only ever played on PC. Which was definitely the way to play - randomly generated maps, custom maps/level editor, custom voicepacks, custom skins, massive amounts of worms on screen, the works.

Did the console versions have special game modes? e.g. Sudden Death, Nuke, Flood, Puzzle Missions, Ice, Wind, Caverns etc.

I always loved the dwindling scream when a worm got blasted off the edge of the map too :smallbiggrin:

Gray Mage
2015-12-02, 03:24 PM
My favorite was always using the baseball bat and hearing the homerun tune. Watching the worms hop on water if they're launched horizontally was fun as well.

I believe I have a copy of it in my steam. Never played it online though. But played a lot of hotseat when younger (Worms 2 if I recall).

thorgrim29
2015-12-02, 03:58 PM
Man I played so much worms when I was younger (early teens mostly). I got it on steam but it's a lot less fun over the Internet than it is playing hotseat so I haven't touched it in years.

8BitNinja
2015-12-02, 05:16 PM
About 4-5 weeks ago, I got Worms: Revolution and I think it is amazingly fun. My only problem is the difficulty spike in the campaign and no hotseat

Âmesang
2015-12-06, 09:21 PM
I started with a PC demo for Worms 2, then some years back downloaded the first off of Xbox Arcade. I never did get around to finishing the final challenge level.

Never got around to playing a lot of games before the 360 suffered its final RRoD. :smalltongue:

Morty
2015-12-07, 02:57 PM
I loved Worms, back in the day. Spent hours playing it with my brother and friends. Worms Armageddon was also my favourite. The series kind of started to eat its own tail afterwards, really. The 3D versions were just... not very good.

I got Worms World Party from Good old Games a while back, but it's not quite the same. Worms games are for multiplayer. Playing against the computer isn't a full experience.

8BitNinja
2015-12-07, 08:03 PM
Hey Morty, try out Revolution or Clan Wars

You'll get 2D multiplayer there

Winthur
2015-12-08, 12:38 AM
Worms Armageddon is the only game in the series worth buying. Constantly discounted and worth a couple of pennies on a sale, servers are always full, the game is still patched (unlike Worms World Party) and it's overall best. All the remakes fail in some way, WA still great all the way.

Thespian Worms best Worms.

8BitNinja
2015-12-08, 01:26 PM
Worms Armageddon is the only game in the series worth buying. Constantly discounted and worth a couple of pennies on a sale, servers are always full, the game is still patched (unlike Worms World Party) and it's overall best. All the remakes fail in some way, WA still great all the way.

Thespian Worms best Worms.

I have never played Armageddon on PC, I'll check it out sometime

Domino Quartz
2015-12-08, 03:13 PM
I have never played Armageddon on PC, I'll check it out sometime

You really should. It's pretty much the best of the 2nd-generation Worms games - while it has the same graphics as Worms 2 and Worms World Party, it has more options and features (added through updates by dedicated fans of the game who were recruited by Team17) than either of those.

Psyren
2015-12-08, 03:23 PM
You really should. It's pretty much the best of the 2nd-generation Worms games - while it has the same graphics as Worms 2 and Worms World Party, it has more options and features (added through updates by dedicated fans of the game who were recruited by Team17) than either of those.

This - Armageddon came out at the height of Worms' popularity and it shows. It had tons of custom maps, soundpacks, modded weapons and other goodies. There were whole fansites dedicated to it. It reminds me of the crazy scene that surrounded Mugen for awhile.

Morty
2015-12-08, 04:40 PM
With the holiday Steam sale around the corner, there's a good chance Armageddon will go on sale. If there are still people playing it, I could pick it up.

8BitNinja
2015-12-08, 04:51 PM
With the holiday Steam sale around the corner, there's a good chance Armageddon will go on sale. If there are still people playing it, I could pick it up.

I am probably going to play some Worms games on my YouTube channel

I even dramatically read the Worm Songs on my youtube channel

Gray Mage
2015-12-08, 08:31 PM
I'd be up for a playground wide Worms brawl or sometjing like that. :smallbiggrin:

Yora
2015-12-09, 06:17 AM
My favorite one was always the first one. All the other ones never really did it for me.

danzibr
2015-12-09, 02:01 PM
I played Worms 2 at a friend's house (essentially) and had a blast. Never saw it since.

8BitNinja
2015-12-09, 02:38 PM
I played Worms 2 at a friend's house (essentially) and had a blast. Never saw it since.

If you liked Worms 2, you can get on Steam

Domino Quartz
2015-12-09, 03:00 PM
If you liked Worms 2, you can get on Steam

Which "Worms 2" are you thinking of? I don't see Worms 2 anywhere on Steam. I can see "Worms Reloaded", which was called "Worms 2: Armageddon" on console, but that might not be what danzibr's talking about.

Tvtyrant
2015-12-09, 03:23 PM
Haha, I still play Worms about 1/week with my best friend. I usually use just cluster bombs/mortars because eliminating the map is a viable strategy darn it.

Psyren
2015-12-09, 03:26 PM
Haha, I still play Worms about 1/week with my best friend. I usually use just cluster bombs/mortars because eliminating the map is a viable strategy darn it.

If terraforming is your goal it's hard to beat the Banana Bomb or Concrete Donkey.

Yora
2015-12-09, 03:41 PM
Okay, what's the pun with the concrete donkey? I get the homing pigeon, but I don't get this one.

Winthur
2015-12-09, 05:07 PM
Okay, what's the pun with the concrete donkey? I get the homing pigeon, but I don't get this one.

Not a pun:

This is the face of the real Concrete Donkey! (http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/worms/images/c/cc/The_Real_Concrete_Donkey.png/revision/latest?cb=20100922101024) Andy Davidson, the loony who originally created the concept that we know and love as Worms, was as a young boy led to believe by his parents that this was a real Donkey, encased in concrete and held at their leisure in their garden located in Bournemouth, England. The Concrete Donkey is a most destructive garden ornament and a rare sight to behold in a game of Worms.

RagingKrikkit
2015-12-10, 12:55 AM
Oh, man, Worms. I used to hotseat with my brothers all the time on Armageddon, coming up with crazy loadouts and broken maps before our teams would murder each other again and again. I still remember the three of us rolling on the floor the first time I got the concrete donkey. I've got the Steam collection if anybody wants to have a go sometime.

8BitNinja
2015-12-10, 01:19 PM
Which "Worms 2" are you thinking of? I don't see Worms 2 anywhere on Steam. I can see "Worms Reloaded", which was called "Worms 2: Armageddon" on console, but that might not be what danzibr's talking about.

Worms 2 is Armageddon

Psyren
2015-12-10, 01:39 PM
Worms 2 is Armageddon

They're separate games actually - Armageddon is more like "Worms 2.5." Worms 2 released in 1997, (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worms_2) while Worms Armageddon released in 1999. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worms_Armageddon)

Bruno Carvalho
2015-12-10, 02:24 PM
I played so much hotseat Worms Armageddon... it simply rocks. Best kills were by dropping enemy worms in the water with the FINGER OF DEATH (most useless weapon anyway, but when you got to kill someone with it was beautiful)

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/worms/images/7/70/Weapon_navbox.png/revision/latest?cb=20100923145616

8BitNinja
2015-12-10, 02:26 PM
We are worms we're the best
and we've come to win the war
we'll never turn and run
and stay until it's done
though our comrades may fall
and our world be torn apart
we'll strike with all our might
we'll fight for what is right
till the end

- Wormsong 1995,1999,2003

Psyren
2015-12-13, 02:24 PM
How have I not seen these videos?

Worst. Worms Shots. Ever. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2x4l6Nn3VQ)

8BitNinja
2015-12-17, 06:21 PM
How have I not seen these videos?

Worst. Worms Shots. Ever. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2x4l6Nn3VQ)

Even I'm not that bad