PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Dragons that Eat People

Thealtruistorc
2015-12-01, 08:10 PM
So I've been looking around for a creature that fits this archetype, but for some odd reason there's no creature like it anywhere in the books. The idea is a dragon (or very dragonesque creature) that devours its foes alive and digests them, letting its bodily fluids finish the hapless victim off. No dragon seems to employ this strategy, and I must say that this omission leaves me rather confused. I am aware of the guardian dragon's existence, but that thing seems too powerful to consider for my party and doesn't really fit what I want the creature to embody.

Is there a people-eating dragon monster that I don't know about, or does a creature like the one I am seeking not exist?

Almarck
2015-12-01, 08:12 PM
Just give a dragon the "Swallow Whole" ability if it doesn't already have it. Literally all you have to do.

PraxisVetli
2015-12-03, 07:06 AM
So I've been looking around for a creature that fits this archetype, but for some odd reason there's no creature like it anywhere in the books. The idea is a dragon (or very dragonesque creature) that devours its foes alive and digests them, letting its bodily fluids finish the hapless victim off. No dragon seems to employ this strategy, and I must say that this omission leaves me rather confused. I am aware of the guardian dragon's existence, but that thing seems too powerful to consider for my party and doesn't really fit what I want the creature to embody.

Is there a people-eating dragon monster that I don't know about, or does a creature like the one I am seeking not exist?

What CR are you looking for?

Crake
2015-12-03, 07:23 AM
the monster manual has the snatch feat (this is in the pathfinder beastiary too) which essentially gives a creature improved grab vs creatures 3 sizes smaller than it (so a gargantuan dragon could snatch a medium creature). The 3.5 draconomicon introduced the feat improved snatch which increased the size category you could snatch by one (so a huge dragon could do it now instead), as well as the snatch and swallow feat, which basically gave the dragon swallow whole for anything that it could snatch. To add even more joy to the whole scenario, there is also the multisnatch feat which allows the dragon to grapple with just it's mouth (or claws) at a -10 bonus instead of a -20 bonus.

Admittedly that's something like 3-4 feats to invest into swallowing people whole, but that's what feats are for, right? Don't forget that enemies inside the dragon's mouth dont get a save vs it's breath weapon.

WalkingTheShade
2015-12-03, 07:29 AM
See, you got it wrong.

Dragons don't eat people, nuh-huh, I eat people, with dragons...

Is a behir (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/behir.htm) dragon-like enough for your purpose?

stack
2015-12-03, 07:39 AM
I think this thread just inspired a template in a project in working on...

Psyren
2015-12-03, 12:30 PM
Note that mythic true dragons get swallow whole, though obviously this makes their CR higher.

SimonMoon6
2015-12-03, 03:25 PM
How about a half dragon purple worm? Make it a purple "wyrm"?

Psyren
2015-12-03, 03:30 PM
How about a half dragon purple worm? Make it a purple "wyrm"?

And poke out one of its eyes/cut off one of its horns.