PDA

View Full Version : Good, easy to use voice software for online play?

WarKitty
2015-12-01, 08:19 PM
So skype recently started crashing on us and not being stable, and roll20's voice system inexplicably won't work for one of our players. Anyone have other suggestions?

Dren Nas
2015-12-01, 08:38 PM
Ventrilo - it's one of my favorite voip programs (voice over internet protocol iirc)

I think you can get a free server for up to 5 or 6 people, but the codecs aren't as good as the pay versions. They pay servers are pretty cheap. Low bandwidth. No video. Push to talk. The better the codecs you use the more bandwidth is used, and the better it sounds. I'm sure if you look it up you can find a lot of more info about it.

GoldfishBowl
2015-12-02, 12:06 AM
I usually use Skype myself. Haven't been running into any issues whatsoever, wonder what could be causing them...

Anyway, Teamspeak 3 is very good now. In my experience it's become generally superior to Ventrilo.

AceOfFools
2015-12-02, 10:15 AM
I've gad good luck running Hangouts.

Being able to see people (Webcam and bandwidth permitting, I've found very helpful.

Joe the Rat
2015-12-02, 01:40 PM
We use teamspeak3. I have been contemplating trying hangouts - anyone use the roll20 app there want to share their experiences?

PrincessCupcake
2015-12-02, 02:21 PM
Discord is my group's voice chat of choice, mainly because it can be run from anything that has a browser or you can download the program. We had been using raidcall but several members got put off by the default language being russian.

Haven't tried roll20 via Google Hangouts, but I've had weird problems with their normal voice chat.

Flickerdart
2015-12-02, 02:46 PM
How many are you? WebEx is a very solid system, but the free version only supports 3 people or something like that.

EccentricCircle
2015-12-04, 11:59 AM
We use Zoom, which is a program designed for professional video conferencing.
Pros:
It has really crisp sound and video, and the ability to share screens. One person needs an account, they log in and start the meeting, then they just send a URL to everyone else, which will quickly install enough of the software to get them into the meeting, so its really easy to get started with.
Cons:
The free version can only run 40 minute meetings for multiple people. So if your game is longer (ours tend to be) you have to restart a few times.

Hunter Noventa
2015-12-04, 02:04 PM
My group uses hangouts and it's great for the voice side of things. We use Roll20, but I think most of us just open that in a browser rather than trying to mush it into the hangouts window.

Hangouts integration with Google Drive however, is great, since we take a lot of notes about the session as we go.