PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Need help with Pathfinder Diplomancer

TheNivMizzet
2015-12-01, 09:36 PM
Hey again, started playing D&D again after a hiatus during the summer and my friend will be starting a pathfinder game soon. Background to the world is that magic is feared because it caused a huge war, no magic items and any spellcasters are usually feared and burnt at the stake. We're building level 7 characters with 4d6k3 for stats and we can port things over from 3.5 if its really needed with GM discretion. Now I was going to bring a Van Helsing to the table to hunt monsters, breaking one of the rules of Mr Welch, staking a vampire through an engine block. Considering the raw DPS I could pump out I told my GM I would make a second character since it would horribly tip the balance of monsters if he was introduced.
So I want to bring a diplomancer to the table. It'll be a subtler change on the dynamics of the group, and aslong as I don't do much damage it'll seem like I've stepped down as the power house of the group. How much is there in Pathfinder which can abuse Diplomacy, and how high can we get diplomacy/bluff checks at level 7?

Psyren
2015-12-01, 09:41 PM
Diplomacy was severely nerfed in Pathfinder; you can't use it in combat or even imminent combat, you can't get a creature higher than Helpful, and you can't swing a creature more than two rungs in 24 hours without GM fiat. This means that even when you are allowed to make the check, the average monster (Hostile or Unfriendly) can't get to Helpful at all. Even if you do get an enemy to Helpful over a period of days, requests can still "automatically fail" if they "go against the creature's values or nature."

So while you can make a diplomat, a "diplomancer" may be beyond your reach unless your GM is very permissive.

TheNivMizzet
2015-12-01, 09:42 PM
Thank you for the quick reply, I'm going to go back to banging my head against the wall and thinking of something stupid I can do in his game.

Fouredged Sword
2015-12-02, 08:02 AM
There is a good item in the game. Be a cleric. There is a set of cheap scales that let you burn a channel use to preform diplomacy checks as a swift action. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/goods-and-services/toys-games-puzzles#TOC-Just-Scale) This is really useful when dealing with people who are neutral and you don't have time to work them to helpful. You know that guard who is protecting the door? He's now an old friend who will write you into the guest list. That merchant who has the item you need on reserve. He lets you move to the top of the list. The king, well he just likes the cut of your jib the moment he saw you.

Azoth
2015-12-02, 09:12 AM
450gp Authorative Vestments 1 channel energy use to standard or move action (with quicken channel for 2 channel energy uses) diplomacy check everyone who can see you withing 60ft. Can only affect any given creature 1/day.

Silver Tongued alternate racial trait for humans. +2 diplomacy and can shift creatures attitudes by 3 steps in one check. All for the low low price of 1skill point/level.