PDA

View Full Version : Mecha RPG’s

YPU
2007-06-07, 02:27 PM
So, I am looking for a system to role-play with mecha’s included. The two I have found are the polyhedron D20 version and the later D20 future adaptation of it, has a good start but the first is out of date, missing a lot of things we see these days in series. also its only one mag so a lot is left to your imagination. The later, well I find that mecha and purchase DC really don’t go well together.
The other one I found is the Gurps Mecha, to be honest I haven’t had a good look at it but it also leaves a lot open to your imagination, something that is the good thing of GURPS. It also seems to spot holes here and there, big things left un-ruled.
So, I hope that somebody here can point me a good mecha system. And if truly none exist , perhaps its time to make one, that’s big talk I know.
EDIT: And also, if I were to decide on doing a homebrew, is there anybody who believes this to be a worthy purpose to contribute to?

Ashes
2007-06-07, 02:35 PM
Hmm. I remember reading White Wolf Monthly a couple of years ago, and it had a feature about this d20 system/setting called Dragonmech. Which was like fantasty with Mecha. You might want to look it up.

YPU
2007-06-07, 02:40 PM
Wow, your right I did once lay my eyes upon that. wetter or not it was good I don’t know. A very different setting in any case, high magic mecha fantasy. It also had something with a planar invasion if iirc. I am aiming for a modern/future one, hadn’t specified it indeed.

Jayabalard
2007-06-07, 02:43 PM
there's always the palladium mecha RPGs: Robotech (quite a few, from macross to the sentinels) which is a fairly setting specific RPG, and Rifts more books than you can shake a stick at, with fantasy elements mixed in as well, and slightly less setting specific...

shadowmage
2007-06-07, 02:47 PM
There was also the Mongoose Mech game. I am not sure if they still support it or not but it was D20 if I remember correctly.

YPU
2007-06-07, 02:55 PM
There was also the Mongoose Mech game. I am not sure if they still support it or not but it was D20 if I remember correctly.
Armageddon 2089 : Total War has warmeks, it seems. Is this the game you meant?

Rob Knotts
2007-06-07, 03:13 PM
I'd go with GURPs myself (GURPS Mecha is actually for 3rd Edition, GURPS is now in 4th edition, some pretty significant changes), but if you're looking for an RPG specifically for mecha, I'd have to suggest Mekton Z (http://www.talsorian.com/talsorian/NEWWEBSITE/MEKTON.html). Originally published back in the 90s, character generation might seem simplistic to the average d20 player, on the other hand MZ makes up for it with a strong emphasis on rules for mecha combat and detailed mecha construction. Technically it's compatible with it's sister game Cyberpunk 2020, but to be honest it would be almost as easy importing d20 Modern rules for characters.

The most important books for it are Mekton Zeta (characters, basic rules), & Mekton Zeta Plus (full rules for mecha construction and combat). Both are available as PDFs, but since the game is from the 90s there are still quite a few print copies floating around at a discount price.

Kurobara
2007-06-08, 12:33 AM
Also, while not strictly mecha-focused, Big Eyes Small Mouth has mecha rules in it.

turn.self.off
2007-06-08, 01:52 AM
same publisher (guardians of order iirc) also produced d20 mecha, a product for creating just about any variant of mecha, from worn armor to space stations.

however, they are now belly up...

JellyPooga
2007-06-08, 04:26 AM
Is ths 'Mecha' as in 'big mechanical walky robots of doom that have a pilot and lots of weapons', or am I on completely the wrong track?

If it is, I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Mechwarrior (the RPG of Battletech).

YPU
2007-06-08, 05:06 AM
Yes, that’s the kind of mecha were talking about.
You know, I have been thinking about this, and what I really want is a mecha system that works with the existing d20, one that has the customization of say, the GURPS and tells me what will happen if I put these giant freaking robots in a d20 campaign. What I want is something that doesn’t exist, of course. Thus, I think I need to shove this over to the home brewing section.

YPU
2007-06-08, 05:15 AM
same publisher (guardians of order iirc) also produced d20 mecha, a product for creating just about any variant of mecha, from worn armor to space stations.

however, they are now belly up...

wow, they even have a free SRD for it. i might shut up mow. lets see, even a class that has the mecha as class abilety. wonder if this one is balanced with say, a wizard?:smallbiggrin:

Rob Knotts
2007-06-08, 11:47 AM
Is ths 'Mecha' as in 'big mechanical walky robots of doom that have a pilot and lots of weapons', or am I on completely the wrong track?

If it is, I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Mechwarrior (the RPG of Battletech).Mechwarrior has a distinction compared to anime-based RPGs like Mekton, BESM, or Robotech. Mechwarrior embraces what I guess you could call a "western" view of mecha as large, exotic military vehicles, putting Mechwarrior solidly in the military-scifi genre. In anime-based games, mecha are more like supehero costumes, leading to a more cinematic (aka "goofy") style of game play.

Premier
2007-06-08, 01:37 PM
Mech = giant walking robot.
Mecha = giant walking robot following the visual style of Japanese comics and cartoons.

JellyPooga
2007-06-09, 03:43 AM
Mechwarrior has a distinction compared to anime-based RPGs like Mekton, BESM, or Robotech. Mechwarrior embraces what I guess you could call a "western" view of mecha as large, exotic military vehicles, putting Mechwarrior solidly in the military-scifi genre. In anime-based games, mecha are more like supehero costumes, leading to a more cinematic (aka "goofy") style of game play.

Mech = giant walking robot.
Mecha = giant walking robot following the visual style of Japanese comics and cartoons.

Thanks for the heads up...I'll be sticking with 'Mechs as opposed to Mecha myself...

Dervag
2007-06-09, 04:12 AM
I've never understood mechs/mechas. You'd think they'd make more of a target for enemy artillery than, say, a conventional tank.

JellyPooga
2007-06-09, 04:30 AM
I've never understood mechs/mechas. You'd think they'd make more of a target for enemy artillery than, say, a conventional tank.

Well yes. But they're 'supposed' to be a superior war-machine because of their greater mobility (amongst other things). Personally, I think it's just a cool idea that wasn't realy all that well thought out...we can all pretend they're effective though...

Attilargh
2007-06-09, 08:28 AM
Not to mention the relatively small surface area of the feet and the inherent unstability of a two-legged form. And the often-immense size of the things, which just screams "I'm here, shoot me!" to anyone on the same friggin' continent.

But mechs and mecha are so many forms of sheer awesome, so it really doesn't matter.

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2007-06-09, 08:31 AM
Has anybody brought up Steamjacks/Iron Kingdoms yet?
Because, maybe they should. >.>;

Or, yeah, D20 mecha.

Tengu
2007-06-09, 08:32 AM
Well, the best mechas ever, Evangelions, have a reasonable explanation for their shape...

They are biomechanical creatures based on the Angels that attack the humans, and from which they are supposed to defend against, rather then robots.

Rob Knotts
2007-06-09, 03:08 PM
I've never understood mechs/mechas. You'd think they'd make more of a target for enemy artillery than, say, a conventional tank.That's the distinction I was talking about earlier, "mechs" vs "mecha" as Premier put it. If you want to go by serious, real-world tactics and strategy, large humanoid robots aren't nearly as practical as an armoured helicopter - they might be useful for precise firepower as small units, but as large, towering units they're more a target than anything else.

On the other hand, mecha in anime don't have to be any more realistic than combat sounds in space from Star Wars or the ballet-like gunfighting in Hong Kong action films. Using mecha is just another good way to make the combat feel more dramatic for the viewers (especially for combat in space).
Well, the best mechas ever, Evangelions, have a reasonable explanation for their shape...Personally I prefer the rationale for Valkyries from Macross (or Veritechs in Robotech): we need giant soldiers because the enemy uses them (Zentraedi).

Classicly though, the most realistic sci-fi mecha ever to come out of anime are the Armoured Troopers from VOTOMS (http://www.mahq.net/mecha/votoms/atvotoms/index.htm). Average height: 4 meters (around 12 feet). R. Talsorian put out a VOTOMS game a few years back (loosely based on Mekton Z), and the Heavy Gear license was also heavily based on VOTOMS.

YPU
2007-06-09, 04:27 PM
i have had some looks at mekton and it looks verry good so far, the we dont give weapons specific names becouse you can use this system for any setting really fits me.

Darrin
2007-06-09, 10:04 PM
If it is, I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Mechwarrior (the RPG of Battletech).

That would be because in the latest edition of Mechwarrior (currently being reprinted as _Classic Battletech RPG_), there aren't any rules for piloting 'mecha. Unless they've made significant changes to the 3rd edition rules, you'd best stay away from this one... it's a fabulous trainwreck of a system, overly complicated and obtuse, that should be regarded mostly with nervous glances from a safe distance rather than actually played. (2nd Edition Mechwarrior was the exact opposite, fairly simple and really quick to pick up, but it still carries around one of BattleTech's heavier albatrosses: anything that happens outside of a BattleMech cockpit generally has an excitement rating somewhere around 'watching paint dry'.)

BESM can make a decent mecha game, but requires a lot of tweaking and do-it-yourself playtesting. In particular, the unit speeds and weapon ranges need to be adjusted (or in some cases heavily manhandled) or everyone takes long-range weapons and every battle is over before anyone gets within 1 kilometer or each other.

Mekton Zeta requires the same amount of do-it-yourself construction and playtesting, but the rules and weapons have been designed specifically with mecha in mind, so you can cut down a lot on the abusable loopholes BESM is prone to. I think a decade or so ago, R. Talsorian actually had plans to support the Mekton Zeta line with actual sourcebooks or something like that, but last I checked the company was in a deep coma-like slumber, rousing only long enough to do a reprint every couple of years to keep their copyrights intact.

Your best bet for an anime-style mecha game would probably be Jovian Chronicles. Very Gundam-style setting, solid system (if you get the Silhouette version), plays very quickly, and was getting fairly decent support from DreamPod 9. Not sure what the current status of the system is.

TheOOB
2007-06-09, 11:11 PM
Green Ronin's True20 system comes with a mecha system that works pretty well. Its an anime inspired mecha setting where you fight giant bugs. Pretty interesting overall.

JellyPooga
2007-06-10, 11:23 AM
That would be because in the latest edition of Mechwarrior (currently being reprinted as _Classic Battletech RPG_), there aren't any rules for piloting 'mecha. Unless they've made significant changes to the 3rd edition rules, you'd best stay away from this one... it's a fabulous trainwreck of a system, overly complicated and obtuse, that should be regarded mostly with nervous glances from a safe distance rather than actually played. (2nd Edition Mechwarrior was the exact opposite, fairly simple and really quick to pick up, but it still carries around one of BattleTech's heavier albatrosses: anything that happens outside of a BattleMech cockpit generally has an excitement rating somewhere around 'watching paint dry'.)

I beg to differ. I have a copy of Mechwarrior 3rd Ed. and I think it's probably one of the better systems I know of. Character gen is interesting and character developement is good (not some kind of bizarre 'level' system). As for actual gameplay, the ruleset is complex enough to create realistic scenes (unlike d20), but simple enough not to bog down (like GURPS does). As far as piloting Mechs goes, an RPG probably won't have an awful lot of Mech combat going on, because how often do you spend in the cockpit in comparison to the rest of your life?..not a lot, I would imagine. The rules given in MW 3rd Ed, for piloting Mechs follow the same rules for anything else you do, rather than having a completely different set of rules to remember. Admittedly, they haven't given any specific rules for using Mechs in an RPG, but that's more because they don't anticipate Mech fights in a game...rather, for those fights, you convert your RPG stats into Battletech stats and play a game of tabletop. The synergy between the two games is emphasised and condoned. however, if you don't own a copy of Battletech, the rules given for Mech combat in MW 3rd ed are sufficient to create exciting combat.

Sorry...I'm ranting a bit. I do apologise, but I do disagree with that particular sentiment you hold Darrin.

MaxMahem
2007-06-10, 01:26 PM
I beg to differ. I have a copy of Mechwarrior 3rd Ed. and I think it's probably one of the better systems I know of. Character gen is interesting and character developement is good (not some kind of bizarre 'level' system). As for actual gameplay, the ruleset is complex enough to create realistic scenes (unlike d20), but simple enough not to bog down (like GURPS does). As far as piloting Mechs goes, an RPG probably won't have an awful lot of Mech combat going on, because how often do you spend in the cockpit in comparison to the rest of your life?..not a lot, I would imagine. The rules given in MW 3rd Ed, for piloting Mechs follow the same rules for anything else you do, rather than having a completely different set of rules to remember. Admittedly, they haven't given any specific rules for using Mechs in an RPG, but that's more because they don't anticipate Mech fights in a game...rather, for those fights, you convert your RPG stats into Battletech stats and play a game of tabletop. The synergy between the two games is emphasised and condoned. however, if you don't own a copy of Battletech, the rules given for Mech combat in MW 3rd ed are sufficient to create exciting combat.

Sorry...I'm ranting a bit. I do apologise, but I do disagree with that particular sentiment you hold Darrin.

No I agree with the original statement, the 2ed Mechwarrior rules were heads and tails above 3rd edition. I'm not sure what they were thinking when they re-wrote the character creation section, taking all of the players control of details of character creation, replacing it with sets of templates that may (or may not) fit you're character concept.

While I found that MW2 made for an interesting RPG, I'm not sure if it's actually a good Mecha RPG. PCs out of mechs stand about as much chance in a fight vrs a mech as a snail does against a tiger. I mean they will get cut to shreads easily, while inflicting next to no damage. This is realistic enough I guess, but not all that fun to roleplay. And as said before the rules for mecha-piloting in it are minimal, the assumption being you will use the full blown Battletech rules in these situations (and that foot soldiers stand essentially 0% chance against a mech). Mechwarrior is more fun as a soldier/special forces RPG with Mecha more as window dressing then core elements.