PDA

View Full Version : Druid Companions and Wild Shapes?

Lolth
2007-06-07, 03:04 PM
Wondering, what a good Animal Companion for a Tallfellow Halfling Druid might be? I'm thinking Riding Dog if nothing else comes along, though something that can see in the dark might be good.

Also, what are some neat/effective Wild Shapable animals to assume at 5, 6 and 7 Hit Dice?

I usually make Shapeshifting Druids, so I'm kinda in the dark here. Any help welcomed!

RTGoodman
2007-06-07, 03:24 PM
The Druid's Handbook (http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=465005) over on the WotC forums are a good place to look for any Druid-related information.

As far as animal companion, I like dinosaurs and bears. I mean, there may be mechanically better companions, but I like being a Dwarven Druid walking around with a velociraptor or a brown bear or something.

For Wild Shape, I'm not sure. Most of my Druids have been in campaigns that died at around fourth level, and I'm not sure on specific creatures, but some things to think about: (1) if you're looking at laying the smackdown in wildshape form, looking for something that would be good at it; (2) things that can fly can't be a bad choice, especially being able to buff allies and whatnot and then flying up to safety; (3) when in doubt, running is never a bad option, so something with a fast speed is good (and you can carry allies, if need be); and (4) some animals are just cool - pick what you like, and have fun.

Wraithy
2007-06-07, 03:36 PM
riding dogs and halflings are about as origional as elven wizards. i reccomend getting something like a weasle and changeing it in for a giraffe later, basically playing the lankey card every 3 minutes (because lets face it you are now a lankey halfling)
if you are going to play a wild shaper i would reccomend looking at the master of many forms PrC, it comes from the complete adventurer supplemental, it also has some wildshape feats. the master of many forms is the 3.5 adaptation of the shifter, at their first level they gain the ability to change into any humanoid, at other levels they get more and more things to shift into, by their final MoMF level they can shift into anything but outsiders and magical beasts and collossal creatures (so sadly no tarrasque shifting) and some rules need addapting for your tastes (technically your clothes still shift into you after a humanoid shift, so mentally prepare yourself to become a naked half-orc in the middle of battle).
otherwise enjoy being nude, it will be your duty as a druid

Fax Celestis
2007-06-07, 03:49 PM
Giant Owl? Giant Wasp? Something in the Vermin section?

Person_Man
2007-06-07, 03:56 PM
Once you hit mid-level, you'll probably be in Natural Spell buffed Wildshape form most of the time, so it's doubtful you'll want an animal you can ride.

I suggest Wolf (Trip, Scent) to start, followed by Leopard, Deinonychus, and then a Megaraptor (numerous attacks, pounce). Be sure to take the Exalted Companion feat, which can add the Celestial template (SR, damage reduction, energy resistance), making your companion useful at higher levels. Use your Shared Spell ability to buff him as much as you buff yourself, which should be a lot.

Dragonmuncher
2007-06-07, 10:45 PM
Dire Wolverine!

Maybe it's just be, but there's something awesome about an enraged ball of teeth and fur the size of a tank.