PDA

View Full Version : gold and paltium weapons

Nosta
2015-12-01, 11:05 PM
are they worth it

I was thinking of giving an npc a gold keen falchion but i'm not sure if its worth the feat

can some one help me find a way to get the best out of my favorite weapon (falchion)

what is the best material and other ways to get the best out of that two handed crit 15 20 (with keen) goodness

SangoProduction
2015-12-01, 11:16 PM
It's an NPC. Being "worth it" doesn't matter. You aren't bound by the rules of character creation. But, no, it isn't worth it. Maybe Alchemical Gold...but...well...nothing has DR/gold...and they still aren't worth a feat. But as mentioned, it doesn't matter.

DrMotives
2015-12-01, 11:42 PM
Gold is softer than even bronze, so it makes terrible weapons. Any real arms & armor made from precious metals ( and I have seen a beautiful suit of electrum scale mail in a museum once) is purely ceremonial, as it's worse in all ways than cheaper bronze, iron, or steel.

There are some things with DR/gold in Ravenloft, but that's the only place you could possibly justify having it, unless you're leading a parade.

Dusk Raven
2015-12-01, 11:44 PM
Gold is also rather heavy. It doesn't make for a bad bullet, unlike silver, but it's still worse than metals which are actually historically used. Soft and heavy don't make for good weapons of any sort...

ZamielVanWeber
2015-12-02, 12:33 AM
If you want a weapon made out of a cool weapon DnD has you covered: adamantine is a classic and can cut through most materials (cool) and the DR of some golems; it is also incredibly difficult to sunder which is nice (although rarely relevant).

Mr Adventurer
2015-12-02, 02:42 AM
There are gold weapons in one of the Faerūn books. They increase the weapon's effective size category for damage purposes, but make it an Exotic weapon.

I always thought, therefore, that they were best applied to weapons that are already Exotic. Given you like falchions, I think there's an exotic falchion in Sandstorm? Or maybe the Planar Handbook?

Alternatively if you're dead set against spending a feat, look at the Aptitude weapon enhancement.

Fouredged Sword
2015-12-02, 07:46 AM
There is a great falchion in sandstorm. If I remember right it's 1d12 2x19-20. A gold one would be 3d6 2x19-20. This isn't a bad exotic weapon really. Slap keen on it and it's pretty deadly for levels 6-10.

Āmesang
2015-12-02, 10:30 AM
There are gold weapons in one of the Faerūn books. They increase the weapon's effective size category for damage purposes, but make it an Exotic weapon.

I always thought, therefore, that they were best applied to weapons that are already Exotic. Given you like falchions, I think there's an exotic falchion in Sandstorm? Or maybe the Planar Handbook?
Yeah, I recall mentioning that in another Nosta thread regarding a golden great axe. :smallyuk: Magic of Faerūn, p. 179 has the rules on gold/platinum (heavy) weapons — specifically they require "Exotic Weapon Proficiency (heavy [insert weapon here])."

I'm a half-fashion/half-function kind of guy, so I am the type who'd have a character wield a gold or platinum weapon just because… well, if I didn't already have a character wielding a red steel (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Steel_(boxed_set)) dagger, anyway. At the very least it'd make for some interesting treasure if there's a PC that doesn't care about cashing in everything.

(Actually looking up the rules gave me the idea of giving that red steel wielder a gem-stone mounted wand; the particular wand came out more expensive than a normal version with the same stats, but it looks fabulous!)

Mr Adventurer
2015-12-02, 12:18 PM
Congratulations.

ahenobarbi
2015-12-02, 12:37 PM
Yeah, I recall mentioning that in another Nosta thread regarding a golden great axe. :smallyuk: Magic of Faerūn, p. 179 has the rules on gold/platinum (heavy) weapons — specifically they require "Exotic Weapon Proficiency (heavy [insert weapon here])."

They can be pretty good by the way. Golden Minotaur Greathammer under effects of Mighty Wallop (greater) has pretty nice base damage (I'm AFB so I can't give an exact number but it's something like 10d8).

If you don't plan to stack base damage increasers the materiał sucks though.