PDA

View Full Version : Life Or Death?

kirbsys
2007-06-07, 05:33 PM
Simple question, do you want to see Miko die sometime soon?

My answer: Hell yes.

ssjKammak
2007-06-07, 05:37 PM
LOL no matter what I wouldn't want to see her die, however the dangerous combination of her arrogance and ignorance, mean that it would probably be safer for the OOTS universe if she did.

She has been such a successful and well written character that her end could only be acceptable if it was climatic anything less would not do credit to how much she has invoked a wide range of emotions form readers.

In summary i look forward to her conclusion weather that be death or an even greater punishment.

Just a friendly aussies 2 cents
Cheers

Lord Zentei
2007-06-07, 05:40 PM

My answer: Hell yes.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

If you redeem and/or kill off your antagonists too quickly, you don't have a story anymore.

And if that were to happen to the OOTS, we wouldn't be able to read it and rant about it anymore, right? :smallwink:

kirbsys
2007-06-07, 05:43 PM
If Miko died we'd still have the LG, Team Evil, the Snarl, and I'm sure that someone else will step up before the end of the story.

Kreistor
2007-06-07, 05:45 PM
Miko provides a unique type of enemy. She's an excellent foil, and given teh discussions about her, clearly someone that generates interest in the comic.

She's here for the long haul.

Lord Zentei
2007-06-07, 05:48 PM
If Miko died we'd still have the LG, Team Evil, the Snarl, and I'm sure that someone else will step up before the end of the story.

The Snarl is a McGuffin more than an acutal antagonist.

And though it is true that the Linear Guild and Team Evil would remain, they represent a very different storytelling element that Miko does. None of these three antagonist groups can really replace the others, and things can remain interesting as long as they keep competing and stepping on each others toes.

Shatteredtower
2007-06-07, 05:49 PM
If Miko died we'd still have the LG, Team Evil, the Snarl, and I'm sure that someone else will step up before the end of the story.But you'd only want them dead too. :smallwink:

I find Miko too interesting to want her killed off quickly. I'm most intrigued by what she has to say about fallen dynamics: too many falls in game are either plotted out by the player deliberately seeking blackguard status or lead to an argument between players who insist their characters did nothing wrong and the DM who caused them to lose their status.

Being an NPC, Miko doesn't just have the same option as a PC to say, "Oh, to heck with it. How do I turn this to my advantage?"

tanonev
2007-06-07, 05:51 PM
an argument between players who insist their characters did nothing wrong and the DM who caused them to lose their status.

Wait, isn't that Miko (more or less)?

Icewalker
2007-06-07, 05:53 PM
Broken portal = Snarl = Miko go bye now.

She ain't lasting long. I'd guess. Although it wouldn't be much of a stretch for her to avoid it, then still exist as a character.

But if she lived, what would they DO to her for that.

Lord Zentei
2007-06-07, 05:56 PM

She ain't lasting long. I'd guess. Although it wouldn't be much of a stretch for her to avoid it, then still exist as a character.

But if the Snarl is released isn't the whole world doomed? :smallconfused: I would have thought that more gates would need to be destroyed first.

But if she lived, what would they DO to her for that.

Probably have her stand trial, only she would escape again in order to fulfill the destiny ordained to her (i.e. to cause more unintentional mayhem).

kirbsys
2007-06-07, 06:00 PM
The Snarl can''t necessarily get out, but it can do to Miko what it did to Lirian, and we don't know whther or not the gem will explode now that it's been shattered. But it could be like a water ballon, if the hole is there when you blow it up, water can get out slowly, but if you add the hole, the sudden drop in overall tensions results in a big boom. Which is probably why destorying the gate was a last result.

Quikngruvn
2007-06-07, 06:03 PM

Not necessarily.

Remember there are two people standing next to the Sparkly Dust Formerly Known as the Sapphire-- and one of them has an effective Dex of zero. If the Snarl does pierce through the hole (which, remember, is tiny), it's more likely to take out the paralyzed O-Chul than the wacky kung-fu chick. (This would also deprive everyone of a witness to the events that occurred in the Throne Room, meaning That Fallen Paladin would be able to relate her side of things without fear of contradiction. Unless Invisible V is lurking around the Throne Room.)

Iranon
2007-06-07, 06:12 PM
Hell no. She's the character that has the highest impact on me, for good and bad. I am anxious to see what happens if some of her current illusions are shattered for good, and how she will deal with the consequences of her recent actions.
However, this can't be rushed without cheapening the story arc.

Whether she consistently lives up to LG ideals again or continues to drift towards the dark end of Neutral... I find her an engaging and sympathetic character either way.

@ Shatteredtower: I wholly agree... the rules actively encourage quick and dirty fixes for fallen paladins, most of the time leading to unsatisfying storytelling.

Lord_Butters_I
2007-06-07, 06:13 PM
Miko needs to die. It's that simple. She has been nothing but a pain in the ass and stopped being funny a LONG time ago. I sincerly hope that she dies soon.

Caractacus
2007-06-07, 06:28 PM
Well, she won't be dying soon:

(Below is a comment by Rich from one one of the books - don't read if you don't want to know)

IIRC, Rich has said she'll be around till pretty much the end of the story.

But whether one WANTS her die soon - that's another story.

I have to say, I quite like her. :smalleek:

Mind you, I am safe in my home and she doesn't know my address, so it's safe to like her; if I was within, oh, 200 miles of her, I'd want her dead soon, too - just to preserve my own life... :smalltongue:

jindra34
2007-06-07, 06:30 PM
Life. For the simple reason it will be more punishing in the long run...

Lord Zentei
2007-06-07, 06:34 PM
Miko needs to die. It's that simple. She has been nothing but a pain in the ass and stopped being funny a LONG time ago. I sincerly hope that she dies soon.

Too anticlimatic. Love her or loathe her, she's a driving force in the comic. She'll be there for the final climax.

Of course, she may well die at that point, though -- if so, you have someing to look forwards to. :smalltongue:

As for myself, I'm holding out for the very slim chance for redemption. However, I won't grumble (much) if she doesn't find it, as long as she gets a suitably dramatic end at said climax. Simply killing her just like that would be disapointing to say the least.

Shapechanger
2007-06-07, 06:37 PM
Miko annoys the hell out of me as a character because her personality reflects a lot of arrogant and self-righteous people I have to deal with in the real world. Personally, I would not be the slightest bit upset if the Snarl ran her through in the next strip.

Hephaestus
2007-06-07, 06:42 PM

Not to mention Pompey and Leeky, I believe they will be making a glorious return. And the assassins at the Inn from WAY back.

Nonetheless. Stories with TONS of characters introduced over a long time offer far more interesting and climactic events. Anyone who's ever DM'd might know this. That's why it's important to keep all the characters alive that you can.

Ganurath
2007-06-07, 06:43 PM
If Miko dies, who's going to destroy the fourth gate to postpone the final epic battle long enough for the OOTS to get to the same level as Team Evil? She's a crucial plot catalyst!

Shatteredtower
2007-06-07, 08:10 PM
Wait, isn't that Miko (more or less)?I think so, yes. I realize I didn't make that point clear, and apologize.

Ladorak
2007-06-07, 08:20 PM

Hell no! Who would we argue about? lol. Plus I think she's major fun since dementation kicked in.

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-06-07, 08:33 PM
Darth Vader made it through 6 movies, Miko can make it through 5 or 6 story arcs. Heck, there are plenty of I <3 Miko/I H8 Miko threads to confirm this. Miko starts out as semi-likable but obnoxious, and eventually falls off of the deep end.

Actually, and at the risk of being blasted under a 1000 flamethrowers of Star Wars fanboy anger, I think Rich is turning a Paladin into a Blackguard the RIGHT way, rather than the lame way Lucas used. Anakin went from a gutsy kid to a swashbuckler to a whiny-bioch flopping and flailing because he didn't get the promotion he thought he deserved.

Miko is still driven by her sense of self-worth and megalomania. Since by her reckoning, NOTHING she does is wrong, EVERYTHING she does is "The Will of the 12 Gods," she will probably accept Blackguard status with a smile on her face, and a song in her heart. Once she convinces herself that by accepting Blackguard she will be able to restore the glory and beauty of Azure City.

Then she, like Vader, may later seek redemption. But since she has no children, no visible connection to anything or anyone, I can't imagine what it would take for her to return to the light.

Lord Zentei
2007-06-07, 08:44 PM
Actually, and at the risk of being blasted under a 1000 flamethrowers of Star Wars fanboy anger, I think Rich is turning a Paladin into a Blackguard the RIGHT way, rather than the lame way Lucas used.

Agreement from a Star Wars fan (assuming Blackguard-dom is indeed where she's headed).

Ladorak
2007-06-07, 08:45 PM
Ugh Star Wars ‘character development.’ Rich has more script writing talent in his little finger then Lucas does in his whole ample body.