PDA

View Full Version : What would be a fair LA for a Nimblewright?

Heliomance
2015-12-02, 03:40 AM
I'm planning on running a short level 20 campaign, and I have a player interested in playing a Nimblewright. Nimblewrights are a 10HD construct from MM2, but they have no listed LA. I'm minded to allow it anyway - they don't seem to be unsuitable for a player - but I'm not really sure how to eyeball how much LA is appropriate. Thoughts?

Forrestfire
2015-12-02, 04:02 AM
According to the Monster Manual II update booklet, nimblewrights have an LA of +6. They also get errata'd to only have a 15-20 crit ratio. Their alter self SLA was not updated to something else, though, so they can only turn into constructs with it (which is neat, because animated objects are a valid choice, but not what the fluff says).

This is much too high in my opinion; their stats are good and their SLAs are fairly strong, but nowhere near 16 levels worth. I would honestly be tempted to give them no LA at all, and keep the construct hit dice, because construct hit dice are terrible and it's a campaign starting at 20. A nimblewright 10/other classes 10 would be a fairly decent character in combat, with a couple good utility abilities and one good native buff for the party. It's potentially worth considering letting them into Swiftblade, with other benefits instead of casting increases (or maybe welding the Suel Arcanamach's 1 to 5 casting to it, and replacing the capstone with something else).

Heliomance
2015-12-02, 04:15 AM
According to the Monster Manual II update booklet, nimblewrights have an LA of +6. They also get errata'd to only have a 15-20 crit ratio. Their alter self SLA was not updated to something else, though, so they can only turn into constructs with it (which is neat, because animated objects are a valid choice, but not what the fluff says).

This is much too high in my opinion; their stats are good and their SLAs are fairly strong, but nowhere near 16 levels worth. I would honestly be tempted to give them no LA at all, and keep the construct hit dice, because construct hit dice are terrible and it's a campaign starting at 20. A nimblewright 10/other classes 10 would be a fairly decent character in combat, with a couple good utility abilities and one good native buff for the party. It's potentially worth considering letting them into Swiftblade, with other benefits instead of casting increases (or maybe welding the Suel Arcanamach's 1 to 5 casting to it, and replacing the capstone with something else).

The MM2 errata replaced Alter Self with Disguise Self, as a note. I was wondering about no LA, especially as they're apparently CR7.

OldTrees1
2015-12-02, 08:14 AM
Nimblewright gets:
Nice stats (+8/+14/-/+0/+6/+8)
SR 27
A nice 15-20 natural crit range
A knock-down effect
At Will haste
Construct type
1 decent bonus feat(combat reflexes) and a potentially useful bonus feat(combat expertise)
Vulnerabilities(Cold damage slows for 3 rounds, Fire damage stuns for 1 round)

7-1 = 6 points
Race(1) + 10RHD(5) + LA +0(0) = 6 points
LA +0 sounds fine

Heliomance
2015-12-02, 08:41 AM
I do find it interesting that fire stuns for a round seeing as how constructs are immune to stun...

OldTrees1
2015-12-02, 12:08 PM
I do find it interesting that fire stuns for a round seeing as how constructs are immune to stun...

Ooh, good point. That means only the cold vulnerability has any weight. Due to the At will haste, I think it might be worth LA +1(since the vulnerability is not severe enough to reduce it).

Although cutting RHD down to 8 and giving +2LA would be another option.

Fouredged Sword
2015-12-02, 12:21 PM
In a game starting at level 20, I would just say no LA or assume that it was bought off with spare EXP along the way.

Flickerdart
2015-12-02, 12:33 PM
I would give it no LA, and drop it to 7 HD to match its CR.

Forrestfire
2015-12-02, 12:48 PM
The MM2 errata replaced Alter Self with Disguise Self, as a note. I was wondering about no LA, especially as they're apparently CR7.

Oh, interesting. The rules I was remembering were from the update booklet (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a); I didn't actually realize it had errata as well.

PraxisVetli
2015-12-02, 05:06 PM
A question that if needed, I'll start a seperate thread.
It says the elemental force is of water, but what's stopping the player from building the nimblewright and putting themselves into it instead?
Something akin to the Skyshadow (is that right?), the flying Nightwing construct that the bodak flies during the Atropus event from Elder Evils.
Then it would only cost the 1,600 xp from making the body. With of course, needing 18th level casting and the appropriate spells.

Jeff the Green
2015-12-02, 05:44 PM
Ooh, good point. That means only the cold vulnerability has any weight. Due to the At will haste, I think it might be worth LA +1(since the vulnerability is not severe enough to reduce it).

Although cutting RHD down to 8 and giving +2LA would be another option.

Pretty sure specific > general applies here.