PDA

View Full Version : Iron Maiden?

Raistlin1040
2007-06-07, 10:09 PM
Anybody here like Iron Maiden? I'm listening to The Trooper right now. Sweet song.

Samurai General
2007-06-07, 10:15 PM
I LOVE Iron Maiden!!!! 2nd favorate!!!! Troopers one of there best!!!!
Try "Aces High" if you have it or "Run To The Hills" there top hit.

Dhavaer
2007-06-07, 10:54 PM
I like some of it. Sun and Steel has a very 'Conan-esque' feel to it.

Nevrmore
2007-06-07, 11:00 PM
Iron Maiden's songs are different from the ones I usually listen to. The songs I usually listen to are abstract and have a deep meaning, Iron Maiden songs aren't "shallow", but they are more straightforward and simply tell a story, which isn't a bad thing. I like a lot of their songs.

Powerslave44
2007-06-07, 11:25 PM
Just glancing across the forum directory and I noticed this post title, happens to be my favorite band. Iron Maiden has had alot of really strong albums considering how many they've released, unlike many similar artists with such a great volume of work. If you're looking for album suggestions, I can't recommend Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind, or Powerslave highly enough. These were the first three albums released with Bruce Dickinson, the bands current singer, and most would agree the best albums released by Maiden to date.

As far as single tracks to look into,
Aces High
The Number of The Beast
Powerslave
Hallowed Be Thy Name
The Evil That Men Do
Dance of Death
Wrathchild
Wasted Years
are all great songs... hope that helps.

Raistlin1040
2007-06-08, 05:43 PM
THE Bruce Dickinson...yes. I watch SNL.

smellie_hippie
2007-06-08, 08:58 PM
Maiden has a high school place in my heart. It's fun from time to time... but I guess most things that are fondly remembered by old people like me bring up fond memories...

Murders in the Rue Morgue...
Aces High...
2 Minutes to Midnight...
Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner...

Where's my Victrola!?

Logic
2007-06-09, 12:06 AM
I have had The Trooper stuck in my head ALL DAY LONG. I love Iron Maiden, so it isn't a bad thing.

By the way, The Trooper, on Guitar Hero 2 is maddeningly difficult. I can only imagine how hard it would be on a real guitar.

Raistlin1040
2007-06-09, 12:15 AM
You think the Trooper is tough? Play Free Bird on Expert, then come talk to me about GHII.

Vaniel
2007-06-09, 12:21 AM
How about playing the real guitar boys? :D

Iron Maiden is good, awesome actually. Not one of my favorite bands at the moment.

I missed their show last time they came to Montreal :smallfrown:

Raistlin1040
2007-06-09, 12:22 AM
I play that too. I'm learning Free Bird in real life too. Hard as hell. Harder than Staiway even.

DraPrime
2007-06-09, 05:55 AM
I personally think that you should get Rock in Rio. It's a live album that has all their good new songs and all their good all songs.

waspsmakejam
2007-06-09, 12:15 PM
I saw Iron Maiden at the Ruskin Arms (pub in East Ham, London) when I was a teenager. They weren't bad, they got better, but just not my cup of tea.

A year or two later everyone locally knew who Bruce was, because it was great fun watching him helping his mum with the shopping. He'd be pushing her trolley around Sainsbury's (a supermarket) in East Ham, and a little clump of metallers would be "casually" following them around, peeking round the end of the aisles.

I mean EVERYONE knew who Bruce was. My Mum and Dad knew the names of three rockers - Ozzy Osbourne ("he's stark staring mad"), Alice Cooper ("he's mad, but he puts on a good show") and Bruce ("aww, he's a lovely boy, helps his mum with the shopping.").

Wasps

FdL
2007-06-09, 12:21 PM
Wow! The kids are getting into Iron Maiden thanks to Guitar Hero...That's so weird and sad.

Guitar Hero is a waste of time IMHO. If you want to play guitar buy a real one and practice (it's called real life, and it can be difficult and not have fancy colors, but it's real).

Neon Knight
2007-06-09, 04:04 PM
Wow! The kids are getting into Iron Maiden thanks to Guitar Hero...That's so weird and sad.

Guitar Hero is a waste of time IMHO. If you want to play guitar buy a real one and practice (it's called real life, and it can be difficult and not have fancy colors, but it's real).

As I understand it, playing Guitar Hero and playing a real guitar have as much in common as Dance Dance Revolutions has with actual dancing; very little. Thus someone who enjoys and is good at Guitar Hero can have little to no skill or enjoyment on a guitar.

In other words, there is no synergy bonus.

FdL
2007-06-09, 04:48 PM
Sure, and that's the problem. Guitar Hero is a proof of how rock culture has been reduced to simple terms of image and devoid of any content. All that matters is what's superficial: looking "cool", posing and acting. Of course, the same happens with real music.

"Rock" has become a product, an image, a fashion style. Something you can wear on a shirt just because it looks cool (no matter if you have actually listened to that particular band).

Guitar Hero is part of this view: you're not playing guitar, you're not dealing with the "fussy" aspects like the sacrifice, the practice, the creativity, the interaction, the actual work that it takes, the cultural aspect of it...You're just doing it the easy lazy way, just pretending to, and sadly that's enough for most people :s

Plus it looks really stupid if you think about it (even by videogame standards):
http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=232

CaptainSam
2007-06-09, 06:43 PM
I first got into Maiden in the early eighties. Caught a small clip of Run to the Hills on TV and was hooked. many years down the line and I finally got to see them when they played in Newcastle.

To be honest, I found them a little....dull. I was gobsmacked. Having finally got to see them, I found I was bored. Admittedly, they only played A Matter of Life and Death, and only did three classic tracks, but I just couldn't muster the stamina to watch all of it, had to have a beer-break about halfway through. I've got a good picture of my friend with a massive cup of PG Tips, very metal. Also, you don't expect at a metal gig to have the lead singer tell the front rows to not crush the ones in the middle 'cause it's naughty and people could get hurt. And their support, Trivium, were crap. At least that's what I thought, and I'm sticking to my opinion. Aaaand...what's with all the teeny kiddies in the audience? I swear some of them were only four!

Maybe I'm just getting old. Maybe I expect my rockers to look like rockers, not just some guys that've wandered onto stage. There wasn't even any spandex, for pity's sake! Maybe my standards are too high after Lordi, Turisas, Rammstein and Apocalyptica.

Maybe, just maybe, I'm getting old. Meh, I remember when Maiden was good! They'll never equal the Number of the Beast! Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, now that was an album! Meh....Kids these days...

TinSoldier
2007-06-09, 08:02 PM
I love Iron Maiden, even though I only have one album -- Live After Death.

Two of my favorites are Powerslave and Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

Regarding GHII -- I had to look it up, and unfortunately The Trooper is 360 only. But it's still a cool game -- doesn't matter if someone can play a real guitar or not. It still leads to appreciation of the music.

It's a cool game, IMO.

Nathander
2007-06-09, 10:48 PM
I adore Iron Maiden. I remember when I was a wee lad of about 16-17, and was initially introduced to them through the song Run to the Hills on a now-defunct hard rock station (curse you, Clearchannel!)

While Run to the Hills has always held a spot in my heart since it was my first introduction to the band, my favorite songs are probably The Wicker Man, Holy Smoke, Fear of the Dark and Man on the Edge. Great band, in my opinion. Are they the deepest band to have walked the earth? No, not really. But I think that the straightforward, simple messages they have work so wonderfully in the way they present them and their brand of music.

Logic
2007-06-09, 11:33 PM

I have to disagree with you here. GH is something that I can enjoy for a few minutes a day if I wish, where a REAL guitar will take far too many hours of frustration to derive any enjoyment out of it.

I say this after having learned to play 2 unrelated real insturments.

And why do you care so passionately about how someone spends their time? I am sure a majority of the population views tabletop gaming as a waste of time, yet that does not stop you from visiting a website that the focus is of tabletop gaming, and comics involving said topic.

Back on topic:

I got into Iron Maiden very late in life, because my family did not permit anything but christian, country and classical music in their home for a long period of time.

Upon hearing it for the first time I wondered "Where has this music been all my life?"

Nevrmore
2007-06-09, 11:59 PM

I'm rolling my eyes right now, if you didn't know.

Some strong language be here. (http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20070509)

Closet_Skeleton
2007-06-10, 04:40 AM
"Rock" has become a product, an image, a fashion style.

Uhm... Rock has always been that. Rock and Roll was basically invented by record companies. It started out purely commercial and then inspired people to form bands and do new stuff so there's no surprise that its commerciality goes in ups and downs throughout the years.

Lycurgus
2007-06-10, 06:12 AM
GH is a video game not a guitar course, let the kids have their fun. Besides that, MAIDEN RULES!! As for their "simple" messages...have you listened to the radio recently? Those are simple messages. I'm forced to listen to pop stations at work, and I'm relatively sure my IQ goes down a little every night. Now, please excuse me while I go get crunk and party like a rockstar. That's why I'm hot.:smallwink:

Lord of the Helms
2007-06-10, 02:27 PM
I love Iron Maiden. They were the second band I ever got into and the first that I became a serious fan of, and I've loved them ever since. There's only one band that affected my musical taste as much as them, and for that alone I will always hold them in the highest regard. Nowadays I like most of their 80s albums best, but I can actually enjoy every album of theirs other than maybe "Dance of Death" to some degree or another, and their last one was my favorite of theirs since X-Factor.

I've also had the pleasure of seeing them live two years ago on their "Early Days" tour and it's tied with Overkill and Gamma Ray for the third best concert I've attended (the first two spots belong to the BLAZE gigs I've been to, but really that's an unfair comparison. NOTHING beats BLAZE live). Aside from Bruce running a half-marathon as he does at every gig, there were so many other instances of brilliance. Yanick Gers! Murder's in the Rue Morgue! Eddie! A giant smoking devil statue! The Trooper! Phantom of the Opera! etc.

I really hope I'll catch them live again some time this year. They better do a north America tour before November :smallfurious:

Guitar Hero is part of this view: you're not playing guitar, you're not dealing with the "fussy" aspects like the sacrifice, the practice, the creativity, the interaction, the actual work that it takes, the cultural aspect of it...You're just doing it the easy lazy way, just pretending to, and sadly that's enough for most people :s

Tell that to those poor fellows who're failing so badly trying to play Hangar 18 :smalltongue:

Guitar Hero is there for fun. Deal with it. Noone actually thinks he's playing the real deal, just like no one who's playing Counterstrike is thinking he could just go out and fight terrorists (I hope).

FdL
2007-06-10, 02:42 PM
GH is a music game, and that's positive in general as to make kids love music if they don't already. But IMHO is quite overrated, and all the attention it gets could well be redirected into something more constructive, like learning to play a real guitar or anything music related. And compared with other games/hobbies, yeah, it's the same in terms of "wasted" time. But GH has a potential that IMHO is being misdirected.

Dunno, it's just my 2 cents, there'll be people who agree and people who don't. I'm open to discussion as long as it's through exhange of supported opinions.

Unlike this next post:

I'm rolling my eyes right now, if you didn't know.

Some strong language be here. (http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20070509)

Roll your eyes blind if you feel like it. Careful, it may hinder your performance at GH, you know. :p

Nevrmore
2007-06-10, 04:37 PM
Roll your eyes blind if you feel like it. Careful, it may hinder your performance at GH, you know. :p
I don't play Guitar Hero

Raistlin1040
2007-06-10, 05:30 PM
Damn you Nevrmore! I was going to link that comic! GH is a great game. And I think it's fun. I also play a real guitar. (A nice Gibson Les Paul, if anyone cares) That's also fun. They're both great. I don't believe someone that 5-stars Free Bird on Expert is going to land a record deal. That's why I also play a real guitar. So, don't rip on GH, because it's ENTERTAINMENT. It's not a record deal simulator.

On topic, I just bought Powerslave and it's amazingly cool. Amazingly.

dabar
2007-06-10, 05:42 PM
yeah iron maiden have some great song, i like their early albums best (iron maiden, killers, powerslave)
and about guitar hero, it looks kinda silly but i think it's probably fun :)
still i would rather spend my time on playing real guitar

Lycurgus
2007-06-11, 11:37 AM
Ever notice that people who overuse IMHO are rarely humble? :smallyuk: The implication that just because you can play a music type video game you have some potential to play the real guitar well is kinda silly. In my case, joint damage in my hands prevents me from having the manual dexterity to play a guitar effectively (even a bass). I can manage a few large buttons though. Some people are just plain tone-deaf. I'm gonna go play some Tekken so I can be a pro fighter.:smalltongue:

Morty
2007-06-11, 11:42 AM
Yeah, Iron Maiden is great. My favorite are probably Loneliness of the long distance runner, The Wicker Man and Fear of The Dark- which sounds awesome on Edward The Great album, where it's live in Dortmund. But there's much Iron Maiden I haven't heard.

FdL
2007-06-11, 01:38 PM
Ever notice that people who overuse IMHO are rarely humble? :smallyuk:

:smallsigh: It's a figure of speech...

The implication that just because you can play a music type video game you have some potential to play the real guitar well is kinda silly.

Yeah, God forbid having a videogame that can generate an actual interest for something outside of it... :rolleyes:
Besides, you missed my point. I'm not at all implying that someone who's good at GH has potential of being a good guitarist.

What I say is that a game like GH has a educational potential to teach kids actual music and something outside playing that particular video game. And because it's related to music, it could be used to spark some interest in kids to make them learn music...

Don't you agree in that?

I'm thinking something along the lines of a real MIDI guitar to play a variation of the GH game. That would be nice.

Hoggy
2007-06-11, 05:54 PM
IMHO, GH is a game. It's meant to be fun, not particularily educational or whatnot, just another way amongst millions to while away your minutes.

That said, and back on track:

Hardehardehar.

I saw 'Maiden at Download yesterday.

Hardehardehar.

'Twas awesome show.

Hardehardehar.

'Twas on webcam.

Hardehardehar.

I think I may still be semi-wasted.

Allandaros
2007-06-11, 06:28 PM
Maiden definitely goes down as my favorite band. No matter what sort of mood I'm feeling in, they generally have an appropriate song for it.

And I don't think I've actually come upon a Maiden song that I've *disliked*, per se. Except for one version of "Can I play with Madness" that just has an awful-sounding intro.

Lord of the Helms
2007-06-11, 08:54 PM
Yeah, Iron Maiden is great. My favorite are probably Loneliness of the long distance runner, The Wicker Man and Fear of The Dark- which sounds awesome on Edward The Great album, where it's live in Dortmund. But there's much Iron Maiden I haven't heard.

Live at Rock in Rio actually :smallwink: But yeah, that song is brilliant live. Also nice to see another who appreciates The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, one of their most underrated songs imao.

Morty
2007-06-12, 11:34 AM
Live at Rock in Rio actually :smallwink: But yeah, that song is brilliant live. Also nice to see another who appreciates The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, one of their most underrated songs imao.

:smallconfused: It says that Fear of The Dark on Edward the Great CD is from Death on The Road, which contains songs performed in Dortmund.
But I agree that The Loneliness of The Long Distance Runner is a bit underrated.

Powerslave44
2007-06-12, 12:06 PM
And I don't think I've actually come upon a Maiden song that I've *disliked*, per se. Except for one version of "Can I play with Madness" that just has an awful-sounding intro.

Heh, that one off of Live After Death sounds like they're all hammered at the beginning, I don't think any two of them are in sync.

Lord of the Helms
2007-06-12, 04:45 PM
:smallconfused: It says that Fear of The Dark on Edward the Great CD is from Death on The Road, which contains songs performed in Dortmund.
But I agree that The Loneliness of The Long Distance Runner is a bit underrated.

Seeing how Edward the Great was released 2002, and Death on the Road recorded in 2003 and released in 2005, that does not make a terrible lot of sense. Nor does Bruce's "Scream for me Braziiiiiiiiiiiiil" fit into Dotmund, either :smallwink:

Hold on, I just checked the official website - did they re-release Edward the Great this year or something? That's definitely not the tracklisting of the CD I bought four years back :smallconfused:

Hoggy
2007-06-12, 05:17 PM
Yarr, 'twas re-released. Re-release is heresy. No Infinite Dreams. :smallmad:

Lord of the Helms
2007-06-12, 09:32 PM
Yarr, 'twas re-released. Re-release is heresy. No Infinite Dreams. :smallmad:
Aye, 'tis a sin that one. Infinite Dreams is arguably the best song Maiden ever did, aside from Hallowed Be Thy Name and Revelations.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-06-13, 02:16 AM
Someone who agrees with me!

Hallowed Be Thy Name and Fear of the Dark are my two favourite Maiden songs.

Powerslave44
2007-06-13, 02:35 AM
Gotta go with Hallowed and The Evil That Men Do... Infinite Dreams is way up there though.

DeBlackDragon
2007-06-13, 04:38 AM
I love Iron Maiden & have all of their studio albums along with some of their live stuff. My favorite album has to be "Seventh Son" and my favorite song is "Hallowed be thy Name", (man Bruce can sure hold that note at the start) although the song "longest day" off their latest album is brilliant aswell. Check out my bebo page for photos from the last concert in Dublin & a cool video based on Saving Private Ryan that somebody did on Youtube for Longest Day.

HERE (http://SG1FAN.bebo.com)

Aston
2007-06-13, 06:24 AM
I still like the two albums they did with Blaze Bailey. X-Factor and Virtual XI were good.

Como Estias Amigos is one of my favourites.
Another good one is Brighter Than a Thousand Suns, even though that is not on either of them. (It is on A Matter of Life and Death)

Think both those albums are under-rated. Except The Angel and the Gambler. Which is too repetitive.

Hoggy
2007-06-13, 07:49 AM
I've heard a few odd Bailey tracks, and liked some of them. Re: Futureal, Virus, Lord of the Flies, Clansman. Clansman is AWESOME.

Strengfellow
2007-06-13, 08:00 AM
I too was at Download but I passed on Maiden (having seen them when both they and I were far more spry) in favour of Billy Talent who rocked and don't need oxygen tanks at stageside :wink:

Morty
2007-06-13, 08:08 AM
Hold on, I just checked the official website - did they re-release Edward the Great this year or something? That's definitely not the tracklisting of the CD I bought four years back :smallconfused:

Considering that it says on my CD that Fear of The Dark on it is from Death From The Road and Dickinson shouts "Dortmund", the apparently did.

Hoggy
2007-06-13, 08:37 AM
I too was at Download but I passed on Maiden (having seen them when both they and I were far more spry) in favour of Billy Talent who rocked and don't need oxygen tanks at stageside :wink:

You, sir, are heretic. Nasty heretic. :smalltongue:

What camp were you in? I should have come and pilfered beer off you.

Lord of the Helms
2007-06-13, 08:58 PM
I still like the two albums they did with Blaze Bailey. X-Factor and Virtual XI were good.

Como Estias Amigos is one of my favourites.
Another good one is Brighter Than a Thousand Suns, even though that is not on either of them. (It is on A Matter of Life and Death)

Think both those albums are under-rated. Except The Angel and the Gambler. Which is too repetitive.

I personally rate X-Factor as the best album Maiden did in the last 18 years. I'm not terribly keen on Virtual XI though, it has about three or four songs I enjoy quite a bit but some that really drag.

I'm a major Blaze fan in general though, especially his solo work post-Maiden and Wolfsbane's live album (I kid you not, that one is THE best live album ever made :smallcool: )

Strengfellow
2007-06-14, 06:36 AM
You, sir, are heretic. Nasty heretic. :smalltongue:

What camp were you in? I should have come and pilfered beer off you.

I was camping on the disabled site with a load of mates from previous Downloads.

If you had come over I'm sure we could have reached an agreement somewhere along the lines of one pint of blood per can of beer or cider :amused:

Lòkki Gallansbayne
2007-06-14, 07:05 AM
But I agree that The Loneliness of The Long Distance Runner is a bit underrated. Hell, that whole album is underrated IMO. Not their best, I wouldn't say, but it's still got some damn good songs on it. Loneliness, Sea of Madness, Alexander the Great, Heaven Can Wait... great album.

I'm going to have to jump on the Hallowed Be Thy Name bandwagon, though. My favourite song of theirs; I loved that they ended their show with it when I saw them play in Cardiff (the recent tour in support of A Matter of Life and Death). Awesome, awesome moment. :smallbiggrin:

Sadly I couldn't make it to Download due to exams. :smallfrown: I really, really want to head off to Belgium next week for Graspop, but to do so would leave me pretty much penniless, which is not a good way to start the summer. Oh well, there'll be other years and other tours. At least I have Wacken (already bought tickets and transport) and possibly Bloodstock Open Air to look forward to later in the summer. :smallbiggrin:

Hoggy
2007-06-14, 10:18 AM
You are going to Wacken?

I hate you with jealousy. :smalltongue:

Strengfellow, I have plenty of blood to go around, not sure it's retained it's wholesome goodness over the years though :smallwink:

Favourite Maiden song? Dunno, there's too many awesome ones to come to a final agreement. Infinite Dreams is just one of those awesome ones. As is Hallowed Be Thy Name. As is Fear Of The Dark. As is Lord Of Light. As is etc etc etc.

Elliot Kane
2007-06-14, 12:58 PM
Maiden absolutely rule :) One of the greatest Metal bands ever :)

Lord of the Helms
2007-06-14, 05:35 PM
You are going to Wacken?

I hate you with jealousy. :smalltongue:

Add me to your hatelist then. W00t! Rage with the Lingua Mortis Orchestra! Stormwarrior featuring Kai Hansen! Blind Guardian! Reiter! Sodom! Possessed! Destruction! Haggard! Therion! Grave Digger! Moonspell! etc etc etc.

Indon
2007-06-15, 09:47 AM
Personally, my favorite Iron Maiden songs are probably Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner, and then everything that so much as references Alvin Maker (Seventh Son, Moonchild, The Evil That Men Do, and to a lesser extent Red Prophet).

GH is a music game, and that's positive in general as to make kids love music if they don't already. But IMHO is quite overrated, and all the attention it gets could well be redirected into something more constructive, like learning to play a real guitar or anything music related. And compared with other games/hobbies, yeah, it's the same in terms of "wasted" time. But GH has a potential that IMHO is being misdirected.

I dunno about you, but I have a full-time job, and a number of hobbies and interests which, while they include listening to music, do not include producing it. As such, I've neither the time nor the inclination to master a musical instrument.

Meanwhile, Guitar Hero games are easy and fun and when I play well, I get to hear awesomely good songs like YYZ (I'm also a Rush fan). No, by playing it I don't think myself a musician. No, I would not rather try and be a 'real' musician.

Lycurgus
2007-06-15, 09:55 AM
:smallsigh:

Yeah, God forbid having a videogame that can generate an actual interest for something outside of it... :rolleyes:
Besides, you missed my point. I'm not at all implying that someone who's good at GH has potential of being a good guitarist.

What I say is that a game like GH has a educational potential to teach kids actual music and something outside playing that particular video game. And because it's related to music, it could be used to spark some interest in kids to make them learn music...

Don't you agree in that?

I'm thinking something along the lines of a real MIDI guitar to play a variation of the GH game. That would be nice.

Yeah, they could call it Guitar Amateur, and it would sell 13 copies. The sales department would then fire the R&D department as a unit for the massive loss of money. :smallyuk:

Saithis Bladewing
2007-06-15, 10:44 AM
There is only one proper response to this thread.

*Looks at the title.*

Iron Maiden? Excellent! *Air Guitar!*

(Reference cookie up for grabs.)

Hoggy
2007-06-15, 11:23 AM
Bill & Ted? I think it is, but I could always be wrong. Couldn't have me being positive for once now, could we? :smallsmile:

Saithis Bladewing
2007-06-15, 11:56 AM
Bill & Ted? I think it is, but I could always be wrong. Couldn't have me being positive for once now, could we? :smallsmile:

You couldn't be any more right, my friend.

SO remember kids, this whole Guitar Hero thing? It doesn't matter.

Be excellent to each other! <3