PDA

View Full Version : Building new Magic Missiles.

StickMan
2007-06-07, 10:14 PM
So as you may know or have figured out from my Avatar/Sig, I'm very fond of the spell magic Missile and the Force Missile Mage from dragon (The picture of the class is what my sig is based off of). What you may be surprised to learn is that I've honestly never got to play the character my Avatar represents, but I am now finally making him for a game I'm hoping to be getting in to soon.

Right now I'm trying to make up a number of new spells based off magic missile that I can use. I'm working on a few right now, including on that has a group of missile surrounding the caster and blocking in coming range attacks.
Does anyone have any variant of magic missile or any ideas that I could use? I would be most great full.

MeklorIlavator
2007-06-07, 10:19 PM
I know that there is a third level version of Magic Missle in the Spell Compenduim. Besides that, nothing rings any bells.

HomerHT
2007-06-07, 10:21 PM
There's always the Neverwinter Night spells Isaac's Lesser/Greater Missile Storm. Maximized Greater MS + Time Stop is the level 20 sorceror win combo in PvP. The following descriptions are ripped off of Bioware's website.

Lesser:
A number of energy missiles (one per caster level but to a maximum of 10) appear and randomly target and hit any hostile creature in the area of effect. If there are more creatures than missiles, only the closest targets will be damaged. If there are more missiles than creatures, one of the creatures will be hit with multiple missiles. Each missile does 1d6 points of damage.
Caster Level(s): Wizard / Sorcerer 4
Innate Level: 4
School: Evocation
Components: Verbal, Somatic
Range: Long
Area of Effect/ Target: Gargantuan
Duration: Instant
Additional Counter Spells:
Save: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

Greater:
A number of energy missiles (one per caster level but to a maximum of 20) appear and randomly target and hit any hostile creature in the area of effect. If there are more creatures than missiles, only the closest targets will be damaged. If there are more missiles than creatures, one of the creatures will be hit with multiple missiles. Each missile does 2d6 points of damage.
Caster Level(s): Wizard / Sorcerer 6
Innate Level: 6
School: Evocation
Components: Verbal, Somatic
Range: Long
Area of Effect/ Target: Gargantuan
Duration: Instant
Additional Counter Spells:
Save: None

LoopyZebra
2007-06-07, 10:32 PM
While trying to do research on whether or not there were 3.5 versions of two NWN spells (The Issac's Missile Storm series; turns out there wasn't), I ran across this (http://boards1.wizards.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-365908.html). It's an old homebrew thread and contains some ideas. It may or may not be useful; some of the suggested spells seem unbalanced, but a couple seem reasonable.

SurlySeraph
2007-06-07, 10:37 PM
Note that Isaac's Greater Missile Storm can be insanely powerful, especially when empowered or maximized, and especially especially when you use it against a single target.

MeklorIlavator
2007-06-07, 10:46 PM
Oo! That remind me of the other magic missle spells from the spell compenduim, specifically chain Missle.

Callix
2007-06-08, 12:25 AM
NWN 2 has a new version of the Greater Missile Storm that is horribly, horribly broken... take the old one and empower it at no cost... 3d6/level divided amongst all targets... That's right: Sor20 casts 6th level spell, deals 60d6 damage to one target, if there's no-one else there. But if you're after ideas, how about a 4th level spell that deals 1d8/two levels, Fort save or knock prone?

Icewalker
2007-06-08, 01:28 AM
Make your own! woo!

How bout one huge missile that makes a bull-rush attempt and deals damage? So they have to make a str check against it or be pushed back 5 ft. Great for knocking people off cliffs.

Blunted missiles for higher damage but non-lethal?

StickMan
2007-06-08, 07:43 AM
I like the Missile storm a lot I'm going to work with that, also the knock back Idea is good.

I've been looking at chain missile and I've been wondering is should it really be a 3rd level spell. Now I know auto hit and no save is worth a lot but even with that its damage out put seem really low to me. The main target takes 1d4+1 per 2 caster levels and then others in the area up to the number of missiles take 1d4+1. You don't even get up to the spells full power till level 20. But this next to fire ball or lightningbolt that effect an area they have a much higher damage out put. But they do blow up every thing even the party. Any ideas or am I just crazy. I don't normally play overly damage dealing casters normally I'm more of the "Hey how did I just go from the battle to timbucto" caster.

Well one easy spell done:

Magic Darts
Evocation [Force]
Level: Wiz/Sor 0
Components: V,S
Casting time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium
Targets up to five, no two can be more that 5 feet apart
Duration : Instantaneous
Saving throw: None

As magic missile but deals only one damage per missile. Magic Darts are effected by any effect that effects magic missile.

The Point of this beyond a damage dealing cantrip, is that you can show of you magic missile skill with out wasting the first level spell so you can target of row of cans or the like.

drkmirror
2007-06-08, 09:42 AM
impacting missile.

The missile storm is a good idea.

as a high level version a siege version.

a version that allows you to fire one per attack for x number of rounds.

elliott20
2007-06-08, 10:28 AM
when it comes to spells like these, there really isn't too much you can do with it.

you either make spells that deal more damage per missile, or make spells that throws out more missiles, and then add effects on top.

Of course, you can always go with the "one big missile" idea and call it a "meteor missile" or something too. That would be cool.

But I think a good side thing is to focus on force effects.

Tengu
2007-06-08, 10:38 AM
Don't use Isaac's missile storms, I beg you! Even the lesser one, and the toned down greater one from NWN2 (which caps at 20d6) are still overpowered as hell.

StickMan
2007-06-08, 10:43 AM
OK now I really think Chain Missile is under powered. I was reading my SC looking up spells to get a power gage for some I was writing when I saw ManyJaws. Its a force spell 3rd level that allows you to summon one par of jaws of force per caster level. They fly at a speed of 40feet per round and you can split the jaws among as many targets as you want they automatically hit, but there is a Reflex save for half damage. But this is the kicker you can keep it going for up to 3 rounds.

Side by side as cast by a level 6 caster
Chain missile
3d4+3 to main target (Average Damage 10.5)
1d4+1 to 3 secondary targets (Average Damage 3.5)

Many Jaws: (Splitting the damage to attack the same targets as Chain missile)
Turn one
3d6 to primary target (Average damage 10.5 makes save 5.25)
1d6 to 3 other targets (Average damage 3.5 makes save 1.75)
Turn two
Turn three

Am I the only one that sees a power difference here. If the target manages to make the save on all 3 turns that is still more powerful than Chain Missile!

I'm starting to think Chain Missile should be a second level spell.

StickMan
2007-06-08, 11:53 AM
OK another Cantrip and it really is nothing innovative

Light Missiles
Evocation [light]
Level: Sor/Wiz 0
Components: V,M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Short
Duration: 10 mins/level
Saving Throw none

You summon one orb, that looks shockingly like a magic missile, of light plus one per two caster levels up to a max of 5 orbs. Each orb sheds light in a 5 foot radius and dim light in an additional 5 feet. Over lapping areas of dim light from orbs make an area of bright light. The caster may move all the orbs with in the spells range once each turn as a free action.

StickMan
2007-06-08, 12:12 PM
Inspired by Couyan's Combat Contrivance by Darklight120 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10106)

Sheild of Missiles
Evocation [Force]
Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 2
Components: V,S
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Personal
Target: Caster
Duration: 1 Minute/level
Saving Throw: None

before you appears a shield made out of magic missiles, when you are attacked some of the missile fly off at your attacker

Shield of missiles works as the spell shield. In addition to acting as the spell shield, when ever you take damage from an attack a number of missiles fly off the shield and deal damage to the attacker as if you had cast Magic Missile. When you cast Magic Missile you gain a +2 on concentration checks while the spell is active. Lastly if you are attacked by a magic missile spell the shield sends a number of Magic missile back at the caster as if you had cast Magic Missile plus the number of Missiles you were attacked with.

Triaxx
2007-06-08, 01:16 PM
I did have an idea lying around on the forum, prior to the server change, and the bandwidth, proposing a more powerful magic missile and a feat allowing it to interrupt opposing casters or even defend against missiles. It also allowed for up more missiles, while still increasing into epic.

Yakk
2007-06-08, 05:03 PM
If you want to fix missile storm, change it:

Duration: variable.

"If there are more missiles than creatures, one of the creatures will be hit with multiple missiles" -> "If there are more missiles than creatures, one of the creatures will be hit with multiple missiles. Only one missile will hit a creature per round from a casting of this spell -- so if there are more missiles than targets, the remaining missiles will orbit around the caster and attack on subsiquent rounds. If there are no valid targets, 1 missile will dissipate each round until they are all gone, or a valid target appears. Missiles will not target a creature with total cover or concealment from the caster."

Viola: now when you cast it on a single target, it isn't an instant kill. Instead you get a damage over time spell. If more targets appear, it swarms them.

SurlySeraph
2007-06-08, 05:30 PM
Make your own! woo!

How bout one huge missile that makes a bull-rush attempt and deals damage? So they have to make a str check against it or be pushed back 5 ft. Great for knocking people off cliffs.

The Bigby's Hand spells are basically like that

D Knight
2007-06-08, 06:49 PM
combine arcane and psionics (kineticists) then u can realy unload some kick on to the bad guys. since wisards need int it double with kineticists realy well cause the higher your int is the more pp u get. if you do not belive me go here http://www.wizards.com/d20/files/v35/PsionicClasses.rtf and look at ABILITIES AND MANIFESTERS.

StickMan
2007-06-08, 08:12 PM
So what do you all think about Sheild of Missiles and should Chain Missile be a second level spell?

Yakk
2007-06-09, 07:24 AM
Shield of Missiles doesn't say what happens when someone attacks you, in any degree of precision.