PDA

View Full Version : Toned down succubus?

Uncle Pine
2015-12-02, 08:01 AM
Hello Playgrounders,

I have this bad guy in my campaign and I would really like to team him up with a succubus, but unfortunately the world my campaign is set in is too low level to afford a generic minor villain with access to a CR 7 extraplanar help so I need a replacement with a lower CR.
So I ask you, is there a CR 4-5 "succubus" somewhere in 3.5?
These are the kind of abilities I'm looking for the "succubus", at the very least:
- Outsider type
- Ability to magically disguise herself as a Humanoid
- Ability to charm or otherwise bend opponents to her will (i.e. a succubus' Charm Monster and Suggestion SLAs)
Defensive or utility abilities like energy resistances, SR, DR, telepathy and teleport are welcome, but not strictly necessary.

3.5 edition, thanks in advance for any help provided.

darksolitaire
2015-12-02, 08:10 AM
I do this sort of thing by simply reducing HD by two, scaling some abilities down and running a test encounter to see if it's not too powerful. There's a Succubus monster class in savage species for pointers.

Fouredged Sword
2015-12-02, 08:57 AM
Yeah, take the monster class, apply levels until roughly in the CR range you desire.

Another way to go about it is the following.

Outsider (no RHD) Changling Sorcerer 5. Boom, done.

nedz
2015-12-02, 10:04 AM
Lesser Tiefling Beguiler
You would need level 6 for suggestion, but level 4 gets you level 2 spells.

prufock
2015-12-02, 10:10 AM
To start, I'd just take the succubus down from 6 HD to 3 HD, basically treating it as if it had 3 negative levels. This gives it 16 hp, -3 to attacks, -3 to saves, and -3 all skills. Additionally, I'd reduce some of her abilities to less powerful versions.

DR 10/magic instead of 10/cold iron or good
Resistance to acid, cold, and fire 5 instead of 10
SR 14 or 15 instead of 18
One less feat (probably Mobility)
Charm Person instead of Charm Monster
Dimension Door instead of Greater Teleport
CL 6
Remove the Suggestion from the Energy Drain effect
Remove Summon Demon (or make it Dretch instead of Vrock)
Replace Change Shape with Disguise Self

That should make it roughly CR 3-4, but you may want to run a test encounter first. Flight and Energy Drain in particular at this CR can be hard to handle.

Uncle Pine
2015-12-02, 10:31 AM
I had forgotten about monster classes from Savage Species. I think I'll use that, except that I'll have to remove some SLAs that a normal 3.5 succubus doesn't get but were most likely present in the 3.0 version (Clairaudience/Clairvoyance, Darkness, etc.). Thanks a bunch everyone!

Telonius
2015-12-02, 11:03 AM
My "fake succubus" won a Villainous Competition a while back; link to the build here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19121436&postcount=65). As long as you're willing to handwave the ritual into the backstory, it could work for the character.

Crake
2015-12-02, 11:41 AM
A half fey changeling has the wings and ability to disguise themselves, along with charm person at will, and immunity to enchantments as well, so it can't be counter charmed. Find some cheap way to gain the outsider type and there's your fake succubus.

Uncle Pine
2015-12-02, 11:44 AM
My "fake succubus" won a Villainous Competition a while back; link to the build here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19121436&postcount=65). As long as you're willing to handwave the ritual into the backstory, it could work for the character.
Oh. Ooooh. This was quite an interesting reading, and just skimming through it gave me a few ideas to connect such a character to a couple of organizations in the setting. I'll strongly consider this build, thank you for pointing it out to me.