PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Let's Build a Character! Arahain Minraith, the Waywatcher

Stormthroe
2015-12-02, 09:21 AM
Hello fellow Playgrounders!

In my last Build a Character thread, we put together C'tan, a Drow Ninja who worshipped Bhaal, the Lord of Murder. He survived well, although its true; Sunlight Sensitivity is a heck of a downfall. While I enjoyed the character, we've reached a point in the campaign where he can not only not take more than one or two hits without getting put down, but his damage output is weak at best and he'd become more of a skill jockey and alarm system with a +7 to perception for the rest of the party. Last game, he went down and while our cleric wished to burn yet more spell slots into keeping him on his feet, I politely asked him to not waste the spells and I would simply rebuild a new character for the next game after the holiday week.

So, without further ado, I am looking to build Arahain Minraith, one of the Border Rangers of Elven Tree, known as Waywatchers. He is a Wood Elf Ranger 1/Rogue 2 who specializes with the bow, but carries a pair of hunting knives and a bolo (net) as alternative weapons.

While he follows many of the normal tropes you see for Elven Rangers (think Legolas), I am trying extremely hard not to make him a clone through his roleplaying, and here is where I need your help. After using it for a couple of one shots, I've become fond of the 10 minute background method to setting up a brief history of the character and try to capture what I envision to be his personality. While reading it, I would like to know which alignment you folks feel he should fall under; I was thinking Neutral Good, but as an Elf, they tend to fall Chaotic Good. However, a friend pointed out that some of his traits definitely have a more Lawful streak without being a zealot of Good, leading him to possibly be Lawful Neutral. I look forward to your thoughts.

10 Minute Background
Arahain Minraith, the Waywatcher

Concepts and Background
1.) Arahain is devoted to all of the Seldarine, but holds Solonor Thelandira, the Great Archer, as his patron. He follows the Way of the Hunter and its three main tenets; The Way of the Arrow, The Way of the Bow, and the Way of the Forest. The Way of the Arrow states to fly straight and do not waver, essentially to be as Good as possible but be willing to do what is necessary. The Way of the Bow states to bend but do not break, essentially to remain flexible in your thinking and find strength and resilience in that flexibility. The Way of the Forest states that like the woods, together, we are stronger than one, and includes living harmoniously with nature and having close ties to ones own tribe.
2.) Arahain holds a primal hatred for Gnolls and Orcs and they are his favored enemies. Tribes of these marauding races are the reason Waywatchers exist.
3.) Arahain's bow and warhorn were gifts from Mirel, an Elven woman he fell in love with before he became a Waywatcher. He treasures these above all else.
4.) Arahain is a patient and kind being, but does not hesitate to cross swords with any who act against his people or against the forest in which he lives.
5.) As an Elf, Arahain can seem cold and aloof to outsiders, and is much more comfortable being in nature than being around large groups of people, especially non-elves.
6.) Arahain does not believe in material wealth; he sees an object's value as a combination of its usefulness and its importance to its current owner. Money is a foreign concept to him, and in truth, he sees it as an unneccessary one. He prefers to barter goods for goods when dealing with outsiders, and has little interest in looting or acquiring material wealth.
7.) Arahain abhors slavery and those who allow it to exist, even legally. It is the right of all living things to be free from dominion. He believes all can peaceably live aside one another in the natural world.
8.) Arahain had heard that slavers attacked his village, and fears for the safety of Mirel.

Goals - Since we play Adventurer's League games, goals are more personal goals than anything that can really be worked into the story. Based on our current place in Out of the Abyss, the goals are based around the enemies we've fought so far. It also leaves little room for things to change in the written adventures, and I will ask my DM if he wants me to do the other sections or create more unique goals.
1.) Arahain wishes to know that Mirel is safe, and seeks to find her again. We know that the Redcloaks have bartered slaves with the Duergar; she may have already been sold, or she may be safe at home having survived the attacks. Who knows.
2.) I would like to see Arahain's prowess as a scout and assassin put to good use in the game. Up until now, our party does a whole lot of kick the door in and resort to violence; maybe a dissenting voice will help.

Thoughts? Opinions? Questions?

Dimolyth
2015-12-02, 01:29 PM
Lawful means "tolerate community opinion above individual". Which is not the case (seeing slavery passage).
"Devotion" thing bring no alignment on its own. Cleric of Sune could be perfectly devoted by being totaly chaotic by altitude.

Your character seems to value community/forest/beloved one above himself - so he is rather good (will he sacrifise his well being for them? If yes, he is definitely good). Good in alignment system means "definitely selfless or rather selfless" - and that`s all.

So, NG or CG (depend how often you will tolerate your own jugement above community traditions) fits your concept.

And as for mechanics... From your point (ranger1/rogue2) I`d go to ranger5/rogue2. Every level increase in power - you will get "break the horde" in time when others got their extra attack, so your real extra attacking delay won`t hurt very much. Then I would definitely go 3rd level of rogue - for thief (hello, legolas tree topper) or mastermind (comando team player). From ranger5/rogue3 - you can choose whatever you think: Fighter for action surges, manneuvres, third extra attack; Rogue for skill mastery, sneak attack, defencive features; Ranger for spellcasting progression, fluff, volley, or whatever else you want.
Back in 3e there was Initiate of Bow prestige class - for archers using ki. A dip in monk will increase your speed, make an option Dodge as bonus action, and grant you ability to catch arrows of your opponents and fire them back - which is really cool at archer duels.
Wood Elf defending his forest can become a druid - if you like ranger theme spellcasting - druid will get it faster. That is mainly good for wall of fur tactics, if it appeals to you.

Stormthroe
2015-12-02, 01:43 PM
Hey, thanks for the reply!

I am leaning Neutral Good at this point; it allows for him to hold onto traditions a bit more than I feel someone Chaotic Good might. Thanks for the input.

From a mechanics perspective, I had planned to do just that, taking rogue to three and ranger at least to five. We will cross that road when we reach it though; I've noticed a trend that my usual gaming group gets drawn into TPK's due to the actions of our own beloved dastardly duo. Not a negative thing, its usually fun, just means that I don't plan character progression too far in advance.

Hudsonian
2015-12-02, 04:50 PM
While I haven't run OotA I have heard that it get's super squirrely. Not being tied to your characters seems like a good thing for that campaign.

So did you already choose your proficiencies? stealth, and perception being obvious, Deception and survival are pretty nice for scouts also.

I'd say take level progression, ranger 2, rogue 3, full ranger

picking up Assassin for rogue and colossus slayer and the extra terrain/enemy (talk to your DM), multi attack Defense, sharp shooter at 8 and volley at 11.

That means that even if you end up going Kick down and see, if you get that surprise round, you might be able to oneshot some enemy's even at lvl 5. (a.k.a. run in, BA HuntersMark, Surprise AutoCrit Attack with 4d6SA + 2d8 LB + 2d6 HM + Dex, +2d8 colossus Slayer at character lvl 6)

Spells:
Hunters Mark and Goodberry at ranger 2
Alarm or Absorb Elements at ranger 3
Pass Without a Trace at Ranger 5
idk at ranger 7
conjure animals and Daylight at lvl 9

Stormthroe
2015-12-03, 07:33 AM
OotA is pretty rough; the Drow Ninja was squishy and we were burning spell slots on our healers each game to keep me alive, and while this is the first time he's died-died, two other players have had to reroll at least once. One was due to an amazing crit thanks to our DM's dice in a miniboss fight, and the other had a slip up in one of the dungeons we entered. All in good fun though. :smallbiggrin:

I have chosen proficiencies and there are quite a few of them thanks to the way backgrounds and the Ranger/Rogue builds correlate. Stealth and Perception will still be my main two, each with a +7 thanks to Expertise and the way I placed my stats, and other Elfy things like Animal Handling, Survival, Acrobatics, and Athletics are a couple of the others as I'm away from the sheet for the moment. You and I have the same spell progression as well up to where I think we will reach before we get slaughtered so that works too!

I have the game tonight where I'll be introducing Arahain to the group and we will be delving into some dungeon we've yet to explore in the campaign; I'll put up a post to let y'all know how it goes.

Stormthroe
2015-12-04, 07:22 AM
Update on the game; Arahain worked out great, despite the little combat in this session. Did all he was supposed to on my end, and the rest of the party seemed to react well to him. We shall see next week in a more combat heavy session.

Thanks for the help folks, and see you next time on Let's Build a Character!