PDA

View Full Version : Red cloak.

Icewalker
2007-06-08, 01:01 AM
Redcloak. We have gotten to know him by his name, and the actual words in it lose their meaning when applied to him.

Red.
Cloak.

Considering that he is the Bearer of the Crimson mantle, and that he certainly wasn't born as the Bearer (he got it from his mentor) it seems unlikely that a goblin would be named 'Redcloak'. Considering that the first to address him as such, for a while, is Xykon (In fact I don't think anyone calls him Redcloak for at least out of the Dungeon of Dorukon.) it seems likely that that might be a nickname. Xykon is lazy/forgetful enough to give him a nickname from first appearance, based on appearance. So if Redcloak was the Bearer before meeting Xykon (likely) then that may be a name Xykon just came up with from appearance, before they knew each other.

I think Redcloak is Xykon's nickname for him. Assuming this is true, Redcloak must have an actual name. I wonder if we ever find out more about him. I think we find out how they meet in Start of Darkness.

kpenguin
2007-06-08, 01:03 AM
errrr... Start of Darkness... release sooner! We'll probably find out then.

Erk
2007-06-08, 01:07 AM
It could just be coincidence. You know, like how my mother was named "Eric's Mom" and then just happened to have a son named Eric.

Icewalker
2007-06-08, 01:17 AM
:smallbiggrin:

(I'll let you in on a secret. It's also to escape from the Miko threads)

kpenguin
2007-06-08, 01:19 AM
Perhaps he was named Redcloak because he was "chosen" to bear the Crimson Mantle. Perhaps other bearers had similar names like "Scarletcape"

Erk
2007-06-08, 01:26 AM
Pinktowel, bearer of the Crimson Mantle.
"What? The dark gods were getting short on monickers, okay?!"

Icewalker
2007-06-08, 01:34 AM
Possible. We'll know when we all go buy SoD.

CardinalFang
2007-06-08, 01:36 AM
Perhaps he was named Redcloak because he was "chosen" to bear the Crimson Mantle. Perhaps other bearers had similar names like "Scarletcape"

I'm sorry, but I can't help thinking of a Sherlock Holmes-esque villain named The Scarlet Cape. Like "Sherlock Holmes and the Scarlet Cape," or "The Scarlet Cape: a radio series on channel 4."

Krytha
2007-06-08, 02:04 AM
What if his mentor WAS his mom who was the previous bearer of the crimson mantle? Knowing that she would pass it on to him eventually, she could have named him Redcloak with that in mind.

CardinalFang
2007-06-08, 02:20 AM
It could be that Redcloak is his last name, and the Bearer of the Crimson Mantle is a hereditary position.

Spiryt
2007-06-08, 02:56 AM
Maybe that was his nickname used by himself? Maybe he was using it so long, that no one remember him having other name? Probably quite many people heard about Gordon Sumner, however certainly much more heard about Sting.

I think that his born name doesn't matter now. He is certainly powerful, he is certainly known among the goblin, so what matter now is his nickname, Redcloak. It was common in Medieval, especially among common people and certain cultures. Ivar Boneless, Erik the Red, Ingvar Far-Travelled.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-06-08, 04:24 AM
Maybe goblins choose a name at adulthood and by this time Redcloak's mentor (who also wore this cloak) had died and passed on the Crimson Mantle.

Skyserpent
2007-06-08, 04:39 AM
The Goblin Diety in D&D is named Magubliyet... that's a little tough to pronounce continuously, so maybe Reddy has a really really wierd Goblin name that Xykon feels is too annoying to try and say without the aid of lips.

Pronounceable
2007-06-08, 07:37 AM
Actually maglubiyet is easy to pronounce after a little practice. You are aware that it means 'defeat' in Arabic, yes? Talk about motivation, no wonder generic goblins are the lowliest of races in standard DnD. (assuming goblins can understand Arabic of course)

Back on topic: I think Redcloak took that name as his own when he assumed his position. Perhaps it's traditional that the high priest of the Dark One (we don't know if it's Maglubiyet or not) is called 'Redcloak'. Or maybe the position is indeed hereditary and he was named Redcloak.

Krytha
2007-06-08, 07:50 AM
yeah well you have different spellings for the same thing. So pronouncing it correctly is going to be hard if there's no common ground.

Coffee
2007-06-08, 07:55 AM
Huh. I always just assumed that it was just what Xykon called him because it was too much bother to actually learn his name.

And Redcloak's such a lackey that he'd have probably given up trying to assert his name and just accepted the new name a long time ago.:smalltongue:

drKarling
2007-06-08, 07:59 AM
I guess his given name is something lame like Rupert Girlsblouse or Gilligan Peachbottom. After years of being teased by gobbos and especially hobbos, he changed his name to Redcloak when he moved from home to become a cleric.

At least this explains his earlier eagerness in sacrificing his underlings.

BisectedBrioche
2007-06-08, 07:59 AM
Pinktowel, bearer of the Crimson Mantle.
"What? The dark gods were getting short on monickers, okay?!"

Never underestimate the power of a towel, you can use it to travel the galaxy world.

Icewalker
2007-06-08, 03:20 PM
Huh. I always just assumed that it was just what Xykon called him because it was too much bother to actually learn his name.

And Redcloak's such a lackey that he'd have probably given up trying to assert his name and just accepted the new name a long time ago.:smalltongue:

That's basically what I was thinking too. We'll know in SoD, but I highly suspect it's just Xykon's nickname for im.

"Hey, you. Yeah, you with the red cloak."

Closet_Skeleton
2007-06-08, 03:56 PM
Maybe Red Cloak was initially designed to be generic NPC and was given a lame name before the Giant decieded to make him be a proper character.

Burrito
2007-06-08, 04:07 PM
Could just be the family name that was taken on after generations of being goblin clerics. I.E. "Norman Redcloak" After all, Roy is named after his family's heirloom sword (Greenhilt).

It was often common prectice to get named after your job, or where you lived etc, that is why there are so many Bakers, Millers, Farmers, Masons, Weavers, etc.

Icewalker
2007-06-08, 05:48 PM
Could just be the family name that was taken on after generations of being goblin clerics. I.E. "Norman Redcloak" After all, Roy is named after his family's heirloom sword (Greenhilt).

It was often common prectice to get named after your job, or where you lived etc, that is why there are so many Bakers, Millers, Farmers, Masons, Weavers, etc.

Yeah, that'd be true if it was hereditary, which it might be.

PlasticSoldier
2007-06-08, 06:06 PM
Yeah, that'd be true if it was hereditary, which it might be.

It wouldn't have to be hereditary it could just Nepotism or the previosly redcloaks have taught their sons so much about redcloaking they just always are the best choice. (like father, like son)