PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Anyone really good with Google Sheets and math mind giving me a hand?

Jpall
2015-12-02, 11:43 AM
So I've created an abomination. It started as a tool for GM's to use to make custom creatures or to figure out how to give the party a real challenge that is a little more in-depth than the simple CR system. If you're quick, you can do it on the fly and it's pretty neat. I haven't used it myself from a GM perspective, but I've heard from a few GM's it's useful but I have no idea if they are really using it or not or if they just don't want to say it sucks or something. So I'm relying on you strangers for feedback.

As a player, it shows you how to really optimize from a DPR perspective or metagame a serious amount. Just remember that is only one aspect of the game. You may hit like a truck but you'll feel pretty dumb when the GM figures out how to shut you down because you only looked at maximizing your damage for the game instead of looking at utility too. This is really more of a tool for fun and to give you a rough idea of what kind of damage you can typically put out. As a GM, it'll tell you how fast this monster is going to last against your party and visa versa plus a bit more.

The sheets are all linked to the Creature tab, so anything you change on any sheet will reflect on the character sheet itself and the creature sheet. Anything you change on the creature sheet will reflect on the character sheets. It's a little difficult to use if you want to make multiple creatures and see how they will fare against the group as a whole but I'm working on it.

If the writing is in blue, you can change it and it will effect one or several of the red numbers. If you change a red number, you've made a mistake and should hit Undo. The red is all based off the blue and follow very specific formulas and most of the formulas rely on one another so if you screw one up you've screwed them all up, which is exactly why I need more eyes on this to make sure I didn't screw one up myself.

The math gets a little wonky at times, so if anyone wants to double check me I would appreciate it very much. What's worse is that I made it in Excel and Google Sheets uses different rules and I'm not 100% familiar with it so I'm not sure what the exact problem is other than a parse error. I'd like to make the sheet public on Google Sheets so any player or GM can use it how they see fit, I just want to make sure that whatever I am putting out there is correct.

Anyone mind giving me a hand? I can't link the sheet apparently but if anyone is interested they can shoot me a PM and I'll send them the link.