PDA

View Full Version : Where have all the Animorph threads gone? [Various]

Bogardan_Mage
2007-06-08, 01:55 AM
Here they are:
Andalite (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37082)
Hork-Bajir (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38103)
Animorph (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44643)

But what's two races and a base class anyway? You can't have an animorphs campaign without Yeerks:

Controller

Controllers are creatures that have been infested with a Yeerk parasite. Yeerks can only infest suitable creatures: they must possess standard brains which are sufficiently complex, they must possess ear canals, and their skulls must be large enough to house the Yeerk parasite.

Controllers are for the most part indistinguishable from other members of their species, due to the controlling Yeerk's ability to read the host's thoughts and imitate their likely actions perfectly. In the presence of their own kind and in battle, however, controllers will throw off this guise and revel themselves as Yeerks.

Creating a Controller

"Controller" is an acquired template that can be added to any living, coporeal creature with an intelligence of 3 or more and suitable physiology to support a Yeerk (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

Special Quality
In addition to sustaining the base creature's need for food and water, a controller must sustain the yeerk parasite as well. Typically the yeerk must leave the host and swim in a yeerk pool that is sufficiently exposed to Kandrona rays for a period of at least 1 minute. Yeerks require no other nutrition and can survive without feeding for a period of three days.

Abilities
A controller's Wisdom, Intelligence, and Charisma are replaced by those of the Yeerk parasite in control (Typically 11, 13, and 12, respectively, although either could be any value from 3 to 18 at the DM's option).

Environment
Same as base creature.

Organization
Same as base creature, or unit (10-24) comprising controllers of various species.

Challenge Rating
As base creature +1.

Treasure
Standard or as base creature, at the DM's option.

Alignment
Same as Yeerk parasite. Usually lawful evil.

Advancement
Same as base creature

Level Adjustment
Same as base creature

And also another race, for those who love both Animorphs and Psionics:

Leeran, 1st-Level Warrior
SMALL ABERRATION (AQUATIC, PSIONIC)
HD 1d8 (4 hp)
Speed 10 ft. (2 squares); swim 40 ft.
Init: +1
AC 11; touch 11; flat-footed 11
(+1 size)
BAB +1; Grp -2
Attack Spear +3 melee (1d6)
Full-Attack Spear +3 melee (1d6)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks
Special Qualities Amphibious, Leeran traits, psi-like ability
Saves Fort +2 Ref +0 Will -1
Abilities Str 13, Dex 10, Con 12, Int 9, Wis 8, Cha 11
Skills Survival +2, Swim +8
Feats Weapon Focus (spear)
Environment Temperate Aquatic
Organization Name (Number appearing)
Challenge Rating ½
Treasure Standard
Alignment Usually neutral good
Advancement by character class; Favored Class Psion
Level Adjustment +0

Leerans as Characters

Aberration: Leerans are not subject to spells or effects that affect humanoids only, such as charm person or dominate person.
Small: As a Small creature, a leeran gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but it uses smaller weapons than humans use, and its lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
Leeran base land speed is 10 feet and base swim speed is 40 feet.
Leerans (unlike most aberrations) do not have darkvision.
Naturally Psionic: Leerans gain 2 bonus power points at 1st level. This benefit does not grant them the ability to manifest powers unless they gain that ability through another source, such as levels in a psionic class.
Psi-Like Ability: 1/day - read thoughts. Manifester level is equal to ½ Hit Dice (minimum 1st). The save DC is Charisma-based.
Amphibious (Ex): Leerans can breathe both air and water, although they rarely travel more than a few feet from the water’s edge.
Automatic Languages: Aquan, Common. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic).
Favoured Class: Psion.
Level Adjustment: +0.

Feel free to post your own Animorphs campaign elements. In fact, feel obligated!

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-06-08, 02:24 AM
...:smallbiggrin:

Edit: I think for the controller they need to have all the mental stats of the yeerk (that means including wisdom). It's usually what happens when one creature takes control of another creature's body directly like that.

Callix
2007-06-08, 02:29 AM
Leerans are so not +0 LA. Detect thoughts at will, swim speed, amphibious? Way too strong. And why doesn't the Wisdom replace? And we need a monster entry for yeerk. And they have access to memory and thought. And SQ: Kandrona Dependency.
Controllers must return to a Yeerk Pool every three days, or the Yeerk starves. Maple-flavoured instant oatmeal negates this, but permanently drives the Yeerk insane, as Insanity, with a 50% chance per round of losing control of the host.
All in all, great idea, but lots of work still to be done.

Bogardan_Mage
2007-06-08, 06:09 AM
...:smallbiggrin:

Edit: I think for the controller they need to have all the mental stats of the yeerk (that means including wisdom). It's usually what happens when one creature takes control of another creature's body directly like that.
Yeah, I've changed that. I think earlier in design I had a reason for not including it, but that reason has long since been forgotten.

Leerans are so not +0 LA. Detect thoughts at will, swim speed, amphibious? Way too strong.
Another one of those reminants from an earlier design. I decided to add some more things, and forgot to update the LA. What would you suggest?

And we need a monster entry for yeerk.
I will do one eventually.

And they have access to memory and thought.
It's a template. I figured the base creature retained their memories unless it specifically stated otherwise.

And SQ: Kandrona Dependency.
Controllers must return to a Yeerk Pool every three days, or the Yeerk starves. Maple-flavoured instant oatmeal negates this, but permanently drives the Yeerk insane, as Insanity, with a 50% chance per round of losing control of the host.
I added the bit about Kandrona dependancy, although I'll go into more detail (like the oatmeal thing) with the Yeerk monster entry. The template just describes how it effects the base creature.

ETA: Ooh, I almost forgot this one:

Andalites have a bizzare (and possibly unhealthy) tendancy to fall in love with members of other species. Hork-Bajir, Humans, Taxxons (I know it's not mentioned in the books, but you can't tell me Arbron wasn't getting any) and could Seerow's Kindness have just been a gift for his sweetheart? I think we all know the answer is yes! Anyway, when you add this tendancy to morphing technology, little Tobiases start popping up all over the galaxy and give rise to:

Andalite Bloodlines
{table=head]Level|Minor

4th|+2 on Spot checks

8th|+2 on saves to control instincts (Ex)

12th|Intelligence +1

16th|Alertness

20th|Andalite Affinity +2[/table]