PDA

View Full Version : A list of mage’s stereotypes.

Amazon
2015-12-02, 02:24 PM
Hey I really want to make a list of stenotypes associated with magic user. Like all evil mages are ugly, all fire mages wear red and and explosive behavior, all good wizards are old with a long white beard. All druids are friends with the animals. This kind of stuff.

DaveSonOfDave
2015-12-02, 02:35 PM
-All mages are reclusive and bookish, who shun any meaningful conversation with people in public settings.
-The mage should feel a sense of superiority for using their brains over their brawn, and hold this over the fighter classes.
-They don't drink booze.

Fable Wright
2015-12-02, 02:36 PM
*Druids are dangerously effective ecoterrorists that are not above using Animal Messenger to create directed suicide bombers.
(At least, that's the stereotype that my group functions under.)

*Necromancers always have a skull ring.
(As Sir Terry Pratchett has observed, chicks dig the skull ring.)

*The alchemist will have a stuffed alligator lying around.
(Do not question how or why, it's absolutely necessary.)

*Fire Mages tend to be cool and calculating.
(Roy Mustang has forever changed my group's portrayal of them.)

*Priests of the Tempest are some of the most hot-blooded people you will ever meet.
(They also tend to kick a lot of butt.)

*Bards dress fabulously and should not be that good at everything they do.

Flickerdart
2015-12-02, 02:43 PM
Mages are deeply traditionalist, and will go for candles and obsidian daggers over much more practical lamps and carbon steel.

The Fury
2015-12-02, 02:45 PM
-The mage should feel a sense of superiority for using their brains over their brawn, and hold this over the fighter classes.

Although depending on the magic user in question using "brains over brawn" might be defined as using a spell to blow up a building. It counts as using brains because it was a spell, see?

Kid Jake
2015-12-02, 02:52 PM
They're terrible drivers. Just wearing a wizard hat raises your insurance rate 8%.

AMFV
2015-12-02, 02:59 PM
Pointed hats and fancy sticks.

Also beards,all human Mages have long flowing beards, unless they're young and they lack a beard to emphasize their youth and inexperience.

Geddy2112
2015-12-02, 03:03 PM
Mages are generally aloof goodie goodies, amoral weirdos, or evil psychopaths corrupted by arcane power.

All Clerics wear hoods or some kind of headcovering. All mages wear robes, color coded to their magical power of choice. Druids never bathe and dress in leaves, hides, and dirt.

Also beards,all human Mages have long flowing beards, unless they're young and they lack a beard to emphasize their youth and inexperience.
And most/all mages are old, young mages are by default inexperienced n00bs.

The Fury
2015-12-02, 03:08 PM
Pointed hats and fancy sticks.

Maybe the beard is a visual cue for being enlightened. When the inexperienced mage has an epiphany and gains wisdom and understanding-- POOF! A beard!

AMFV
2015-12-02, 03:09 PM
Maybe the beard is a visual cue for being enlightened. When the inexperienced mage has an epiphany and gains wisdom and understanding-- POOF! A beard!

They also age rapidly.

Steampunkette
2015-12-02, 03:10 PM
Male Wizards are often happy to show their age. And most have beards of varying lengths. Young male wizards have goatees or vandykes and later grow the full white beard.

Female Wizards, regardless of age, must be physically attractive and youthful in appearance: Especially if it requires magic to maintain.

Female Wizards are Enchanters, Illusionists, and Necromancers. Most will have a dagger.

Male Wizards are Evokers, Conjurers, and Abjurers. Most will have a staff.

Wizards of any gender can be Diviners, who all must have a crystal ball or deck of cards.

Adventuring wizards who are men tend to wear either heavy robes or practical adventuring clothing. Women adventuring wizards will wear whatever makes them sexiest, often ignoring the region's climate in favor of cleavage.

Any spell which bears it's creator's name will have been made by a Guy. While female spellcasters create new spells they typically don't get named billing.

Wizards who do drink booze will almost invariably aim for Wine. Preferably Elven. Those who don't drink Booze will drink Tea. Preferably Elven.

Evil male wizards will run the gamut of style and appearance from obsequious toady to formidable sovereign with more than a few disgusting spellcasters who have too long engaged in the dark arts that warp the soul and the body in turn.

Female evil wizards will either be beautiful as they are deadly, or old ugly crones and witches. There is no middle ground.

For some reasons, curves are always in the right place when it comes to female wizards. You'll never find a female wizard with noneuclidean anatomy (which is a shame).

nrg89
2015-12-02, 03:17 PM
For some reason, the mages I keep meeting up with are all really calculating when it comes to their motivations all the time. I understand that they should be focused and able to look at big pictures if they are to graduate the Magic Academy but you can reconcile that with an idealistic person too. The benevolent doctor who tells patients to fight ("goddammit!"), the hotshot lawyer who stirs up emotions in a court room speech and the "computer wiz" who tries to break stuff because it's fun have all gone through years of extreme focus and boring studies to get good at what they do but are still portrayed as relatable humans in fiction.

Anonymouswizard
2015-12-02, 03:30 PM
*Fire Mages tend to be cool and calculating.
(Roy Mustang has forever changed my group's portrayal of them.)

I wish I had your group. Although, now I think of it, Roy is why I consider there to be a difference between the BATTLEmage and the WARmage. The battlemage lives for magical conflict and lays waste to their enemies with their overwhelming magical firepower. A warmage can have any level of magic power, as long as they have the stragetic mind to apply it effectively (if I remember Roy rarely has a reason to use his full destructive potential, and actually benefits from limiting it). I do really and to play a fire mage with Roy's calculating mind though.

-Mages are bad with people. Just don't ask.

-My mages are always shifty...okay, this is more due to how I play mages than any stereotype.

-Summoners are concerned with power.

-Mages wear robes or long coats.

I am planning an Anima game that subverts many expectations though. Druids aren't ecoterrorists, and in areas more excepting of magic a druid can help keep a city healthy. Necromancers might use a perversion of magic, but most of them are nice people who just want to study death. The main villain is a light mage who wields a rapier. The Gift does give a tendency towards headwear, but the hat is never a tall, pointed, wide-brimmed affair.

The Fury
2015-12-02, 03:39 PM
Male Wizards are often happy to show their age. And most have beards of varying lengths. Young male wizards have goatees or vandykes and later grow the full white beard.

Female Wizards, regardless of age, must be physically attractive and youthful in appearance: Especially if it requires magic to maintain.

Female Wizards are Enchanters, Illusionists, and Necromancers. Most will have a dagger.

Wizards of any gender can be Diviners, who all must have a crystal ball or deck of cards.

Adventuring wizards who are men tend to wear either heavy robes or practical adventuring clothing. Women adventuring wizards will wear whatever makes them sexiest, often ignoring the region's climate in favor of cleavage.

Any spell which bears it's creator's name will have been made by a Guy. While female spellcasters create new spells they typically don't get named billing.

Wizards who do drink booze will almost invariably aim for Wine. Preferably Elven. Those who don't drink Booze will drink Tea. Preferably Elven.

Evil male wizards will run the gamut of style and appearance from obsequious toady to formidable sovereign with more than a few disgusting spellcasters who have too long engaged in the dark arts that warp the soul and the body in turn.

Female evil wizards will either be beautiful as they are deadly, or old ugly crones and witches. There is no middle ground.

For some reasons, curves are always in the right place when it comes to female wizards. You'll never find a female wizard with noneuclidean anatomy (which is a shame).

I'd like to see a female wizard get her Epiphany Beard. And maybe experiment with different facial hair styles afterward.

Red Fel
2015-12-02, 03:54 PM
Going to challenge some of yours, Steampunkette, because they're so comprehensive.

Alternatives:
Young male wizards are universally adolescent or young teen, and comically inept. They specialize in destructive spells, inasmuch as whatever they do tends to explode, whether intended or otherwise.
Older male wizards are divided into two groups - the sage and the grit. The sage is Dumbledore or Gandalf - long, white beard, flowing robes, pretense aplenty. The grit is Harry Dresden, unkempt, scarred, lean and athletic. The grit snarks at properly groomed facial hair.

Alternatives:
Good female wizards are universally young and attractive. They fall into three groups.
The ones who do not care about their appearance, and are annoyed if you bring it up.
The ones who care about their appearance, and are constantly comparing themselves to others, to their disappointment. In Japanese media, this will frequently involve sadly eyeing another woman's chest.
The ones who care about their appearance, and are obsessed with using their magic to improve it.
Evil female wizards are initially young and attractive, but either:
They are truly young and attractive, but sickeningly evil, so much so that they disgust pretty much everybody, even their allies.
They are in fact hideous and deformed crones, who conceal their ghastly visages under massive amounts of transmutation or illusion.

Alternative: A female wizard may be an Action Girl (or Dark Action Girl). If so, she will specialize in powerful destructive spells, and if she uses any weapon, it will be a sword. If she is evil, it may be a whip.

With a knob at the end.

The aged evil wizard, regardless of gender, will use a cauldron or mirror for this purpose. S/he's not as mobile as s/he used to be.

Addendum: Action Girl wizards may wear goggles (http://roxiecards.com/planeswalker-profile-chandra-nalaar/).

I object, but only because it's true.

Aged male wizards will begrudgingly drink milk. Non-elderly male wizards will enjoy coffee or cheap beer. Ancient witches will enjoy a beverage made from apples. Well, mostly apples.

And we love them for it.

Already covered this. Notable exception: Moderately evil one-off witches (as opposed to hideously evil ones or recurring antagonists) will likely be illusionists with middling looks who just want to be adored.

Exception: Priestess of the Old Ones. I'm kidding. Even Madame Squidface has legs that run until tomorrow.

NRSASD
2015-12-02, 05:27 PM
Dang, I've been playing mages wrong this whole time! Male and female wizards (witches?) are hard to differentiate between, due to the short scorched hair, wide eyes, and layer of soot completely coating their blast suits.

Seriously though, male good clerics either wear heavy armor or robes.
Good female clerics wear (usually revealing) robes mostly, occasionally armor.
Evil male clerics wear ridiculous evil plate or a caravansary worth of cloth.
Female evil clerics wear nothing that qualifies as clothing.

*Druids are dangerously effective ecoterrorists that are not above using Animal Messenger to create directed suicide bombers.
(At least, that's the stereotype that my group functions under.)

Thank you DMofDarkness, for making me chortle at work and alarm my colleagues

Anonymouswizard
2015-12-02, 05:38 PM
Seriously though, male good clerics either wear heavy armor or robes.

And this is exactly why my current character wears robes and armour, despite them being a couple of centuries out of date in-setting.

nedz
2015-12-02, 05:53 PM
All Wizards have big knobs, on the end of their staffs.

All Clerics are religious fanatics.

All Druids are Hippies.

All Enchanters are Hipsters, except Tim.

All Illusionists are Gnomes.

All Necromancers wear Black.

All Firemages wear Red, Frostmages Blue, Airmages Violet and Earthmages Brown.

goto124
2015-12-02, 05:53 PM
I thought female clerics wear modest robes because religion?

NRSASD
2015-12-02, 06:11 PM
@goto Fairly sure they're supposed to, but that's not how it frequently works out (at least in fantasy art)

Âmesang
2015-12-02, 06:31 PM
Aww, no love for Transmuters? Guess they're all jealous of their hasted flying and whatnot. Though to be fair, I like daggers because they're not as obvious as staffs or as ostentatious as bigger weapons so, in my mind, they seem the most appropriate for traversing around "polite society." That's why my sorceress for goes the classic robes and instead wears a luxurious noble's outfit. Don't want to attract too much attention, after all!

C'mon, that's what endure elements is for! Or just walk out into a blizzard in a bikini and boots of the winterlands. "White Queen" indeed.

That reminds me, Glinda needs a good scolding. "Only bad witches are ugly!" :smalltongue: Uhuh. Sure. Though on that note…

As a sign of my sorceress' evilness I wad fond of the line, "only ugly women use enchantment." Likewise, when comparing her snow-white hair to her drow companions: "It's not who did it first, it's who did it best."

Yeah, I was going to say, they (especially sorceresses …es) always seem to have "huge tracts of land." Well, until the Dungeon Master destroys it in a flood because he thought her alchemy shoppe was "creepy." C'mon, so it had an unhallow spell cast on it, so what? Didn't even get to install a cool, re-animated dragon skeleton or nuthin'…

They are truly young and attractive, but sickeningly evil, so much so that they disgust pretty much everybody, even their allies.
You trick one guy into drinking acid and they never let you live it down. :smalltongue: Though I suppose carting around a vial of perfume "distilled from dryad's blood" doesn't help, either.

Alternative: A female wizard may be an Action Girl (or Dark Action Girl). If so, she will specialize in powerful destructive spells, and if she uses any weapon, it will be a sword. If she is evil, it may be a whip.
Almost went down that road with a succubus cohort until I realize that whips suck, so I gave her a +5 unholy shocking burst spiked chain called "Thunder Kiss" that raised anyone killed by it into a zombie.

By the way… where does the iconic sorcerer, Hennet (http://i13.tinypic.com/6gjdvo8.jpg), fit into all of this? What with those belts upon belts upon belts upon belts upon… I mean there's chaotic, and then there's just… that.

Red Fel
2015-12-02, 09:26 PM
By the way… where does the iconic sorcerer, Hennet (http://i13.tinypic.com/6gjdvo8.jpg), fit into all of this? What with those belts upon belts upon belts upon belts upon… I mean there's chaotic, and then there's just… that.

He plays too much Final Fantasy. It's the JRPG School of Fashion, and there are only three rules.
No two garment items from the same era. Variety is the spice of life, so wear a breastplate over those sweats!
No color may be used twice. There's no such thing as clashing.
Belts. Belts everywhere.

Âmesang
2015-12-02, 09:45 PM
Should have gone with Rob Liefeld's X-Treme!™ clothing line — a mountain of pouches for all of his spell components. :smallbiggrin:

Steampunkette
2015-12-03, 12:37 AM
I'd argue that, as a sorceror, Hennet represents a new series of stereotypes apart from the standard mage in an attempt to distinguish two similar classes.

It also bears out nicely between 3e and Pathfinder. Hennet and the Pathfinder sorceress iconic both wear ridiculous and minimal clothing. While Mialee, elf wizard, wears next to nothing while the Pathfinder wizard is a fully robed old white guy with a beard...

Most of the time, at least!

DaveSonOfDave
2015-12-03, 01:14 AM
I think more mages should take the wardrobe advice of Big Hat Logan into account: wide brimmed wizard hat, and nothing else.

Gravitron5000
2015-12-03, 09:11 AM
Exception: Priestess of the Old Ones. I'm kidding. Even Madame Squidface has legs that run until tomorrow.

Yes, but those curves are 5th dimensional hyperbolic splines in p-space.

Âmesang
2015-12-03, 10:02 AM
Part of me wants to know what was going through the artists' minds when they came up with Mialee's outfit.

The other part wishes the thought had never even crossed my mind…

goto124
2015-12-03, 10:23 AM
Her outfit does not surprise me in the slightest.

I mean... Female. Caster.

AMFV
2015-12-03, 10:43 AM
Part of me wants to know what was going through the artists' minds when they came up with Mialee's outfit.

I know, definitely not enough belts.

Anonymouswizard
2015-12-03, 11:30 AM

I just want to know what they thought when designing her looks*. It's great for the subtly unattractive, but the outfit seems to clash with that. I think she might be the reason I make official 'wizard' clothes as unisex as possible (as in, officially sanctioned mage, my planned Anima campaign has no way to tell a wizard from a normal person because it's technically illegal in the city I'm designing, although it's far enough away from Abel to be rarely punished).

* despite what it looks like, she is clearly not Asian. Putting it out there.

Âmesang
2015-12-03, 05:00 PM
Her outfit does not surprise me in the slightest.
I mean... Female. Caster.
More like female insect. Maybe she took Arcane Thesis (summon swarm)?

I know, definitely not enough belts.
I know, right? Honestly I was thinking of using the gun options from Dragon Magazine #321 to give a wizard a bandoleer filled with potions, antitoxins, and other such vial-like objects… combined with a rough-and-rugged adventurer's outfit. Maybe something like a finely tailored safari attire, minus the pith helmet.

MrStabby
2015-12-03, 08:06 PM
All divination wizards practice their art by spying on members of the opposite sex in the shower.

GorinichSerpant
2015-12-03, 08:49 PM
All divination wizards practice their art by spying on members of the opposite sex in the shower.

Of course they all do that, it's so obvious there's hardly a point mentioning it. Why else would anyone become a Diviner?

Rater202
2015-12-03, 08:54 PM
Regardless of focus, even the most dedicated specialist mage has at least one way of spying on you, one way of blowing you up, one way of summoning something to deal with you, and one way to get the hell out of dodge. Sometimes two or more of those are the same spell.

The kind of person who is dedicated enough to become an Archmage(literal archmage, meta magic expert, or similar "master of magic type) also tend to have a slightly more than healthy love of watching things burn.

Most dedicated Wizards that live long enough tend to build up a stock friendships, favors, boons,and/or pacts among various fae, outsider, dragon and/or spirit type beings, and thus have magical energies, inherent abilities, or even just spells beyond the normal wizard package. Those of a certain age who do not can easily acquire them if they need it

MidnightOne
2015-12-05, 11:30 AM

Women adventuring wizards will wear whatever makes them sexiest, often ignoring the region's climate in favor of cleavage.

And I give you, Streeaka. Aside from the dagger, she breaks all the tropes.

Appearing be in her early twenties and standing just above five feet tall, Streeaka's Elvish heritage is distinct through-and-through, although her skin isn't Drow-black but has more of a warm duskiness to it. Her hair is near-white blond and her eyes are a curious red-flecked blue which in the right light look almost amber.
She's dressed in a fleur-de-lei patterned burnt-orange dress that sweeps to just above her knees. The back of her right leg forces you to do a double-take - there's a tattoo of a demon's spaded tail done so skillfully it gives the illusion of being real at first glance. She wears a delicate silver necklace that bears a passing resemblence of a slave's collar.
Her gleaming-polished low boots have a low heel that clicks on the floor with an almost-defiant sound. Tucked in the obsidian-black narrow belt is a single thin dagger.
She's not impossibly chesty, doesn't have mile-long legs and her backside won't make you swoon - if any description could be given to her body, "plain" would seem to fit. Her smile seems to have flashes of mischief to it.

http://unlikely-heroes.com/chat/nick_image/2028.jpg

NRSASD
2015-12-05, 01:48 PM
Yes, but those curves are 5th dimensional hyperbolic splines in p-space.

And will leave you a gibbering, quivering wreck as your mind struggles to comprehend the cosmic horrors implied by such curves, hinting at the terrible, insanity-inducing beauty of things man was not meant to know

Anonymouswizard
2015-12-05, 01:58 PM

Now don't be homophobic. A small number of them practice by spying on members of the same sex in the shower.

I also have a character I plan who's based around two assumptions made by dungeon designers: 1) adventurers are male or 2) female adventurers are lesbian/bisexual, based on all these traps with illusions of beautiful women (what, your GMs don't use those?). This character is very much a 'straight gay' man, and thus is immune to illusions of beautiful women.

And will leave you a gibbering, quivering wreck as your mind struggles to comprehend the cosmic horrors implied by such curves, hinting at the terrible, insanity-inducing beauty of things man was not meant to know

Okay, I admit it, that's only become a thing because my characters insisting on 'biblically knowing' with all the cultists they could find. :smalltongue: Apparently the goal of Call of Cthulhu is not to go mad and die, that's just a side effect.

MrStabby
2015-12-05, 02:41 PM
Now don't be homophobic. A small number of them practice by spying on members of the same sex in the shower.

But this is the stereotype thread isn't it? I will admit I have not seen Gay Divination Wizards are part of the stereotype before (but happy to be contradicted if they are a common trope).

Anonymouswizard
2015-12-05, 05:39 PM
But this is the stereotype thread isn't it? I will admit I have not seen Gay Divination Wizards are part of the stereotype before (but happy to be contradicted if they are a common trope).

Sorry, I was just being silly. Too much coursework to keep sane right now.

Zurvan
2015-12-05, 07:13 PM
All wizards are Squishy.

-Fire mages wear red or orange and sometimes they have fire instead of hair( I think that looks silly but it is very popular)

-Water mages wear blue, unless there are ice mages. Then they wear green.

-Earth mages are strong and muscular. They may or may not still be squishy. Most are shirtless, they wear brown if they deal with dirty kind of earth, grey if they use rocks and green if they use "nature" kind of earth.

-Air mages are boring and wear purple unless there are storm mages then they wear white. If it is japanese they wear green.

-Shadow mages use black or purple.

-All storm mages act like raiden. if they have blue lighting bolts, if it is purple they are most of the time evil.

I also have a character I plan who's based around two assumptions made by dungeon designers: 1) adventurers are male or 2) female adventurers are lesbian/bisexual, based on all these traps with illusions of beautiful women (what, your GMs don't use those?). This character is very much a 'straight gay' man, and thus is immune to illusions of beautiful women.

WTH is a straight gay man?

MrStabby
2015-12-05, 07:38 PM
Sorry, I was just being silly. Too much coursework to keep sane right now.

Hah. Not at all. My fault - I was worried I had caused offense.

Anonymouswizard
2015-12-05, 08:03 PM

Sorry, a gay man who doesn't act 'camp'.

Hah. Not at all. My fault - I was worried I had caused offense.

It's fine, I worry if I cause offense all the time.

As for more stereotypes:

-Only evil mages summon demons, good mages summon fairies or elementals.

-The first thing every male apprentice wizard tries to summon is a succubus. I believe, if successful, they try for two succubi.

Rater202
2015-12-05, 08:58 PM

A homosexual male who does not conform to the expected stereotypes of homosexual males to the point that you would never know that the male in question was homosexual unless they came out and said so.

Sometimes fictional depictions are depicted as acting stereotypically heterosexual for the purpose of humor via subversion of expectations.

Fictionalized depictions are considered a trope (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/StraightGay)

goto124
2015-12-05, 11:21 PM
It does rely on expectations of a homosexual man to act according to 'gay' stereotypes.