PDA

View Full Version : Player Help DFA Help-Yet Again

JNAProductions
2015-12-02, 03:04 PM
What is this, the fourth thread? But I've fallen head over heels for the Dragonfire Adept, so I come to the forum for assistance.

I'm going to (hopefully) be playing in a gestalt game soon, and I'd like half of the gestalt to be a monster class. (The other half being DFA, of course.) What would be a good fit?

ZamielVanWeber
2015-12-02, 03:10 PM
A nice thing about DFA sits need for a single stat, Con, so any race that boosts it is already off to a good start. Do you want a monstrous race or are templates good?

For a race might I suggest Astral Deva, which has a monster class in Savage Species. It will give you more SLA to work with and has a lot of solid stat buffs, including Con, rocks outsider hitdice for a bunch of levels, and has EX flight.

JNAProductions
2015-12-02, 03:14 PM
Ooh, shiny! Thank you!

nedz
2015-12-02, 03:56 PM
What sort of race do you want (There are many options) ?

What level are you starting at ?

Several races have Saves Species / Savage Progressions, but many do not. How amiable is your DM to homebrewing Savage Progressions for other races ?

Some interesting options:

Fey - lots of possibilities
Dragons - lots of types
Genies - Janni are interesting
Celestials - again many options

JNAProductions
2015-12-02, 05:45 PM
Level 6-9. Homebrew is an option.

glitterbaby
2015-12-02, 05:56 PM
Are you looking at one full 20 level progression racial class like you'd find in Savage Species or would a templated monstrosity be kosher? If the latter you can get to some pretty silly ends as far as your ability scores go.

Mineral Warrior gives a +4 Con (among other things) for a +1 LA and can go on any corporeal creature that isn't undead, elemental, or construct. Any template that increases size (half-minotaur & half-ogre come to mind) increase your Con by 4 (differs based on your starting size). Thomil can apply to any elemental creature with the earth subtype and gives a +4 and sets your Int to at least 10 (so you can apply it last and absolutely destroy your int with other racial modifiers). I'm sure you can find a ton more but I'll stop now, I think I've made my point.

JNAProductions
2015-12-02, 05:57 PM
Link to books? And we're allowed +1 LA with no questions asked.

glitterbaby
2015-12-02, 06:36 PM

Oh gosh.

Well Half-Minotaur and Half-Ogre are on page 94 and 95 of Dragon Magazine Issue #313.
Mineral Warrior I believe is from Underdark but WotC posted it here (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003e).
Thomil is on page 75 of Unapproachable East and I can't remember if it was updated since.

MisterKaws
2015-12-02, 08:11 PM
I don't think any sane DM would let this pass, but you could always go for full LA on one end and full class on the other, so you get TONS of stats and SLAs, and still keep full DFA progression, which is always nice, try getting some template with auto-healing, for lvl 15 breath-spamming.

2015-12-02, 08:23 PM

If you can convince your DM, Vecna-Blooded is pretty useful at the higher levels (although I don't know how high this game is starting). Immunity to divinations is cool.

JNAProductions
2015-12-02, 08:24 PM
Where can one find Vecna Blooded?

Troacctid
2015-12-02, 08:29 PM
Where can one find Vecna Blooded?

Monster Manual V, but it can only be applied to an evil creatures capable of casting 2nd level arcane spells, which you probably can't do.

JNAProductions
2015-12-02, 08:31 PM
Yeah, no. I think I can cast arcane spells via invocations, but evil? Scarlet Cooper is a good person. (I mean, she's an Astral Deva.)

Troacctid
2015-12-02, 08:32 PM
Invocations are spell-like abilities, not spells, so they don't count.