PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Casting any spells known given a lot of ressources. (PF,3.5,3.0,Homebrew,Gestalt)

unbutu
2015-12-02, 05:39 PM
Given a very large selection of races, 20 lvls of gestalt, most books you can think of, and a lot of homebrew.

This is a Pathfinder game, with all 3.5 content available, along with 3.0 content on request if it was never updated. Paizo, Dreamscarred Press and WotC content is all available - this includes Dragon Magazine stuff - with a reference. Third Party material is conditionally available, so long as it's indicated as such. Homebrew must be approved, but I'm willing to allow some.

Start at 3rd level, 5000xp.
25 point buy, by Pathfinder rules.
Follow wealth by level.
Gestalt characters, with more than one PRC allowed per level. Effective spellcaster level is capped to character level (so no, you can't have 20th level casting ten levels early, but you can make up for lost levels).
3.5 classes should be updated by consolidating skills and pegging hit die to BAB or BAB to hit die, if it would be an improvement. That is, full bab = 1d10 or better, 3/4 = 1d8, 1/2 = 1d6. Also, anyone who can cast level 0 spells casts them like they would in Pathfinder - that is, all day long.
If you want the 3.5 version of something Pathfinder has, please indicate which version you're using.
Commonplace guns, but no advanced firearms.
If you're using a ranged weapon other than a gun, please have an IC reason. It's not that you can't, but it will stand out as odd.
One template per player is allowed for the normal LA cost.
LA buyoff is allowed.
Fractional BAB and saves is in effect.

How would you go about casting every spell on your spell known as fast as possible, while keeping a spell list as large as possible.

The best I can imagine at the moment is:

1. Any spell known after a full round action (Limited by Arcane Pool):
Pathfinder Arcanist (Or exploit Wizard), with the quick study (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/arcanist/arcane-exploits/quick-study-su) exploit. Can change a spell prepared as a full round action, then cast it.

2. Any spell known right away. (Limited by wealth)
Pathfinder Sorcerer. Use pages of spell knowledge (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/m-p/page-of-spell-knowledge) to expand the spells that are consided prepared. Cast them without preparation.

Those examples set a benchmark for the best I know. What can be done better, for less money, with more spells accessible ?

Grod_The_Giant
2015-12-02, 06:30 PM
Half Elf sorcerer/oracle with Paragon Surge into Extra Arcana.

Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, or Warmage/Rainbow Servant 10 gets all Cleric spells spontaneously.

dspeyer
2015-12-02, 11:02 PM
The Uncanny Forethought Feat (http://alcyius.com/dndtools/feats/exemplars-of-evil--64/uncanny-forethought--3009/index.html) seems highly relevant here.

Especially since by RAW it looks like a wizard//archivist could apply it to both.

2015-12-02, 11:25 PM
...is TO allowed for this? Because I've got a build in mind that knows a lot of spells, and can cast a lot of them without having to re-prepare. Half of the build is the standard Rainbow Warsnake mentioned already, while the other half is Khepri.

ben-zayb
2015-12-03, 12:17 AM
If racial spellcasting counts as (Ex), I can easily do this with a Level 1 Commoner, without both your usual TO buzzwords and 9th-level spell shenanigans.

Crake
2015-12-03, 12:50 AM
If we're allowing TO, a single classed chameleon can spontaneously cast any arcane spell in existence at a moment's notice by level 9 (though a fairly limited number of times per day), with a level of archivist thrown in there before entering, they can also spontaneously cast any divine spell., and can do both at level 12.

Rubik
2015-12-03, 02:13 AM
One level of ardent with the Magic Mantle and Supernatural Transformation (Psionics) who then contracts 16 HD of lycanthropy on the night of the full moon (or via the Curse of Lycanthropy spell in Complete Divine). Then go to your level 20 childhood mentor and friend (who just happens to be a StP erudite), and learn every single spell and power he knows via Psychic Chirurgery (which happens to be every spell and power). Soak up the XP costs by convincing him to take one negative level, failing the save, and spending all the XP until he's 500 XP away from level 19, casting Greater Restoration on himself, and repeating until you know every power and spell in the game.

Since Supernatural Transformation gives you ML = HD, you have a ML of 17, which allows you to learn any spell or power up to the highest level you can manifest according to your ML, which is everything non-epic.

Crake
2015-12-03, 02:38 AM
One level of ardent with the Magic Mantle and Supernatural Transformation (Psionics) who then contracts 16 HD of lycanthropy on the night of the full moon (or via the Curse of Lycanthropy spell in Complete Divine). Then go to your level 20 childhood mentor and friend (who just happens to be a StP erudite), and learn every single spell and power he knows via Psychic Chirurgery (which happens to be every spell and power). Soak up the XP costs by convincing him to take one negative level, failing the save, and spending all the XP until he's 500 XP away from level 19, casting Greater Restoration on himself, and repeating until you know every power and spell in the game.

Since Supernatural Transformation gives you ML = HD, you have a ML of 17, which allows you to learn any spell or power up to the highest level you can manifest according to your ML, which is everything non-epic.

Too bad psionics isn't an innate spell like ability, it's derived from class levels, so this doesn't work.

Platymus Pus
2015-12-03, 03:15 AM
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/The_Wish_and_the_Word_%283.5e_Optimized_Character_ Build%29
Something like this?

Rubik
2015-12-03, 03:57 AM
Too bad psionics isn't an innate spell like ability, it's derived from class levels, so this doesn't work.You mean the XPH doesn't actually call out psionics as being explicitly innate?

Simply put, psionics is the art of tapping the mind's potential. A psionic character is blessed with a form of innate ability that enables him or her to use mental power to achieve goals or perform tasks that nonpsionic characters can accomplish -- if they're even capable of doing them at all -- only by using gross physical skills such as brute strength or raw agility, or by using intellect or force of will distinct from the natural power of the mind itself.Huh. Color me surprised that it doesn't say it anywhere.

Nor does it equate psi-like abilities with spell-like abilities when it says:

A creature meeting any one of the following criteria has the psionic subtype:

Creatures with a power point reserve, including characters who have levels in a character class that grants them a power point reserve or creatures who have the Wild Talent feat.
Creatures with psi-like abilities, including characters who have racial psi-like abilities.
Creatures that have spell-like abilities described as “psionics.”

Most psionic monsters have some number of psi-like abilities. These are very similar to spell-like abilities. Naturally, they are psionic and work just like powers or spells. A creature with psi-like abilities does not pay for these abilities with power points and does not pay any XP cost associated with manifesting the power the ability duplicates.

Psi-like abilities do not work in a null psionics field and are subject to power resistance if the power or spell the ability duplicates would be subject to power resistance.

Creatures with access to psi-like abilities can use the feats Empower Spell-Like Ability and Quicken Spell-Like Ability.

Psionic monsters often possess spell-like abilities that are identified as “psionics,” instead of “spell-like abilities.” For all intents and purposes, creatures with spell-like abilities described as psionics are considered to possess psi-like abilities, and they manifest their powers as described above.

...or when the Magic Mantle specifies that magic and psionics are indistinguishable from each other, and that one should be treated as the other in all ways?

Even without the Magic Mantle, the Spell-Like Ability feats can explicitly be used with psi-like abilities, which includes class-based manifesting, since the XPH specifically points out that:

The manifestation of powers by a psionic character is considered a psi-like ability

...with no exceptions made for class-based manifesting.

Crake
2015-12-03, 04:15 AM
words and quotes

None of the things you quoted actually said that you could use all spell like ability feats with psi-like abilities, only two exceptions, empower and quicken SLA. It didn't use terminology like "such as", it explicitly mentions those two feats and nothing else. It also nowhere explicitly said that psi-like abilities are spell like abilities, merely that the two are similar.

I'll concede the innate point from a RAW standpoint, though I personally think it's pretty clear that when they said innate, they meant as a racial feature, otherwise one could start going into arguments like saying the sorcerer's spellcasting ability is also innate and whatnot, and then things just start to get silly. Hell, depending on the campaign setting you're in, magic itself may easily be something that's TECHNICALLY innate, but would still not qualify as such for rules purposes.

Again though, if you want to be super rules lawyer about it, psi-likes are nowhere stated (at least not in the bits you quoted) to count as SLAs (only stated to be similar to them), and do not qualify for things that require spell-like beyond the empower and quicken SLA feats.

unbutu
2015-12-03, 11:29 AM
Thank you everyone for reading and chipping in :)

If we're allowing TO,

without both your usual TO buzzwords

...is TO allowed for this?

I don't know what's TO guys ! Is that a book ? I could not google-fu it.

How would a chameleon cast spells without preparation ? The Arcane Focus and Divine Focus are prepared spells casters, and limited to lvl 6. Are they not ?

If racial spellcasting counts as (Ex)

Does it usually count as (Ex) ? Are DMs inconsistent on that ? What's the answer to that by RAW ? Would that be a houserule ?

Half Elf sorcerer/oracle with Paragon Surge into Extra Arcana
The simplicity of this is pretty sick :) It answers pretty well what I want: That character would have a few spells all the time, and all the spells a few times per day.

I purposely did not state my goal in the OP, but the reason for that quest is pretty much:
-I really love playing control Wizards
-My group hates knowing ahead of time (divination) what's ahead, or backing off just because we are ill prepared.
-When wizards are said to be T1, they are supposed to do those 2 things (prepare ahead and flee when surprised)

Solution to me: Pick pretty broad spells everyday, but have some solution for when we really need that one spell. (Or, like I expected to black tentacle my ennemies today, and they fly. Or they are undead and we don't have undead killing stuff, ect)

You can always argue that you would be better prepared, or that I should not play a wizard if I can't prepared that well. Fact is: I want a casual wizard.I need to accept it.

Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, or Warmage/Rainbow Servant 10 gets all Cleric spells spontaneously

Really simple build as well. It takes at least (hummm?) 13 levels to come online ? I like it still.

Let's say I really want all this easy access to spells, I could Gestalt:

1/2 elf --) Warmage/Rainbow Servant 10 // Sorcerer

Realisitcally, I'll probably just use one side for that, and the other side of the Gestalt for others goals.

The Uncanny Forethought Feat seems highly relevant here.

Ohhhhhhhh. Any spells known in a full round action for a prepared caster. That's really good for 2 feats.

I don't know how much the caster level -2 would affect me. I tried to remember the spells I usually wish I had prepared:

Outside of battle:
-Usually it's because we get in a situation we need something very specific to get out of. Spider climb would need a pretty high level slot to be usefull with a -2 CL.

Inside of battle:
-Usually I see a situation like '' Oh this would be a perfect wall '' and I'd like to try it :) Many of similar spells get bigger with CL, but that might work :)

Nice suggestion, that might be what I end up with.

The Vagabond
2015-12-03, 11:50 AM
Alright, here's what I have in terms of Pathfinder materials:
The Annihilation Spectacles grant the ability for Transmuters to swap Transmutation Spells for any other Transmutation spell.
A universalist wizard can use an Amulet of Magecraft as their bonded object to cast any spell of a single school by sacrificing a spell of that school.
Necromancer’s Athame grants one the ability to convert any necromancy spell to any other necromancy spell you know.
Shadocraft Mage with Earth Spell makes it so you can spontaneously cast any Evocation spell, and any Conjuration (Creation) spell, with your Illusion spells.
For that, I think that a Wizard//Arcanist has the best chance to cast any spell. Check to see if the School Savant archetype let's you qualify as a Transmuter- If so, take it. See if you can get a bonded object from your Arcanist side, go Universalist wizard on the Wizard side, get both Amulet of Magecraft and Necromancer's Athame, go into shadowcraft mage and that double spontaneous theurge. Mage of the Arcane Order will permit you to spontaneously cast any wizard spell by using a spellpool, but is limited. Spontaneous Divination for Divination spells.

If you prepare a spell of every school in Arcanist, and if they interact, you should be able to cast any Divination, Conjuration (Creation), Necromancy, Transmutation, Evocation, and another school (Let's say Abjuration) spontaneously.

Following that up, use the Planar Spellcaster ACF from the planar handbook for Wizards, then Chaotic Spell Recall. See if you can get Wiskers Bloodlines to grab the Inherent (Abberent) bloodline to burn three levels worth of EXP to gain half your levels worth of abyssal heritage feats.

Tome of Arcanists Lore, from Complete Divine, should be your spellbook, to have every wizard spell be considered known.

The Raiment of the Four adds a few spells you can cast spontaneously.

Rary's Arcane Conversion from Complete Mage will let you reprepare any spell.

That's what I have so far, you should be able to do more.

Xethik
2015-12-03, 11:53 AM
TO is theoretical optimization. The alternative is PO, or practical optimization. That should help Google-Fu, but essentially theoretical does things that would not fly in most games.

Chameleon with Uncanny Forethought can cast any spell 6th level or lower off any list, divine or arcane. There are some tricks to get up to 9th level spells, but they are that. Tricks and may not be well-received by the GM. I'll let others explain, but it is commonly referred to as 'bootstrapping', I believe.

Uncanny Forethought also works well with Intelligence increases you can receive from Chameleon levels.
Most 'utility' spells don't scale well with caster level at all. You can cast Spider Climb at -2 CL and just lose out on 20 minutes of duration. You can cast the perfect wall spell and have it just lose a couple hit points or length. Usually once you get the CL ~10, that's enough and you don't need too much more on these sorts of spells. The spell slot of the spell and the caster level aren't really related at all.

Alternatively, you could look into the Easy Bake Wizard build. I think Uncanny Forethought is generally better, but Easy Bake will give you a very spontaneously feeling Wizard. If you then had a Divine half that had full spell knowledge (Cleric, Druid, etc.), you would be quite versatile. Again, Chameleon does this pretty well but you cannot get the Easy Bake feel on Chameleon outside of Uncanny Forethought.