PDA

View Full Version : Best AD&D Books to Convert to 3.5

atemu1234
2015-12-02, 05:56 PM
I've been going through some of my older AD&D books and converting the spells and monsters to 3e and then to 3.5. Unfortunately, I have no clue if any of them have been converted to 3.5 yet.

But I've also got a bit of money I want to spend buying some older books. Any ideas which ones I should get, to perform the above conversion upon?

Âmesang
2015-12-02, 06:43 PM
SPELLJAMMER® comes to mind, if for no other reason than because everyone could use giant space hamsters. :smallbiggrin:

nedz
2015-12-02, 08:07 PM
Have you been through 2E's ToM — there are some interesting spell ideas in there ?

Aleolus
2015-12-02, 08:38 PM
SPELLJAMMER® comes to mind, if for no other reason than because everyone could use giant space hamsters. :smallbiggrin:

Ah yes, Minsc and Boo would be welcome additions to most of my games :-D

daremetoidareyo
2015-12-03, 12:04 AM
Anything from planescape is hella-awesome, fluffwise.

Tinker gnomes from the dragonlance source were a ton of fun as well.

DrMotives
2015-12-03, 12:27 AM
Planescape & Spelljammer I have to 2nd, those are gold mines of cool material. After that, I wish there was more of an update of Al-Qadim other than a couple of sparse articles in Dragon mag, and the Sha'ir class.

atemu1234
2015-12-03, 07:55 AM
Planescape & Spelljammer I have to 2nd, those are gold mines of cool material. After that, I wish there was more of an update of Al-Qadim other than a couple of sparse articles in Dragon mag, and the Sha'ir class.

Maybe I will, Al-Qadim in 3.5 was one of my greatest disappointments.

thorr-kan
2015-12-03, 11:57 AM
Complete Book of Necromancers.
Complete Sha'ir's Handbook.
Any AQ material.
(Yes, you're sensing a pattern here.)

Birthright's Blooded rules.

Red Steel's Red Curse and Legacy rules.

BWR
2015-12-03, 03:32 PM
Seconding Red Curse/Legacy rules. I've wanted to run a Red Steel game and the existing attempt at conversion I've found wasn't too good. Having someone else do all the work sounds nice.

I've done most of the Necromancer's handbook for PF and I've been working on a conversion of the Wizard's and Priest's Spell Compendium but lost about half of it a while back (harddrive just up and died) and have been very slow to redo the work.

Âmesang
2015-12-03, 04:24 PM
I'd like to play a 3rd Edition RED STEEL® game, though for now I'm happy having a character with a simple +1 red steel dagger (even if it's a GREYHAWK® character, but then it shouldn't be too hard to come by such a bauble what with planar travel and whatnot).

atemu1234
2015-12-03, 08:29 PM
Seconding Red Curse/Legacy rules. I've wanted to run a Red Steel game and the existing attempt at conversion I've found wasn't too good. Having someone else do all the work sounds nice.

I've done most of the Necromancer's handbook for PF and I've been working on a conversion of the Wizard's and Priest's Spell Compendium but lost about half of it a while back (harddrive just up and died) and have been very slow to redo the work.

I always have trouble with priest spells. Even with Wizard spells, about 1/3 I just homebrew from scratch. It's occasionally easier that way.

Monsters will probably just be homebrewed but have the same lore.

Ravens_cry
2015-12-03, 11:23 PM
I'd love to see Council of Wyrms properly converted. I saw a conversion online, but it was quite clumsy feeling, to be honest.

BWR
2015-12-04, 04:56 AM
I always have trouble with priest spells. Even with Wizard spells, about 1/3 I just homebrew from scratch. It's occasionally easier that way.

That is a problem. Especially these Ed Greenwood spells often need streamlining because he's way too fond of giving an entire page of spell description with special effects and circumstances on top of what could be a simple effect.

Keld Denar
2015-12-04, 11:49 AM
Not really what you are asking, but I'm running the "A Night Below" boxed set from 2e that I'm mostly spot-converting to 3.5. Some of the stuff exists in converted form in various 3.5 supplements like Grell and Quargoths, but some of it I have to make up like the Ixzen and the stats for any advanced NPCs like the slavers and the various leaders. It's working out pretty well. About 1/2 way through the 3rd and final book. I've posted parts of the campaign journal around here, and I have all the stat blocks if anyone is interested in them.

Tvtyrant
2015-12-04, 01:03 PM
All of the Netheril and Imaskari books. Some of it got ported over but very little, and after Spelljammer they were my favorites.

All of the Greyhawk books, aince Greyhawk kind of faded out.