PDA

View Full Version : Jack is Back. ( Cartoon network announces the continuation of Samurai Jack )

Devonix
2015-12-02, 07:02 PM
Ok this is it folks we hoped, we prayed. We gave up hope, we got it back again.

And now after all these years Cartoon Network and Genndy Tartakovsky announce the return of Samurai Jack in new adventures on his continuing quest to defeat Aku. Discuss folks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzIxLwVwtiQ

Dienekes
2015-12-02, 07:08 PM
Cool, hope they wrap up the story.

I wonder who they'll get to voice Aku, since the original voice actor isn't available, for obvious reasons.

Almarck
2015-12-02, 07:20 PM
...and it's on Adult Swim.

Okay, there's gonna be blood I wager.

Also wow, this might actually be one of the things that gets me watching CN stuff again .

Sith_Happens
2015-12-02, 08:23 PM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/d3/fb/86/d3fb865a80510d3dcf716dec2cbea257.gif

DigoDragon
2015-12-02, 08:26 PM
I still need to see the original series at some point, but cool that it's coming back.

Tokay
2015-12-03, 03:30 AM
That ship sailed a long time ago. You can't have Samurai Jack without Aku, and you can't have Aku without Mako.

QED

t209
2015-12-04, 12:24 PM
*pops a cigar*
Hell, it's about time.

Dienekes
2015-12-04, 01:31 PM
*pops a cigar*
Hell, it's about time.

Your tv show awaits, Mr. Finley.

Rodin
2015-12-04, 01:55 PM
That ship sailed a long time ago. You can't have Samurai Jack without Aku, and you can't have Aku without Mako.

QED

Pretty much my thoughts.

I'll still give it a fair shot though, assuming I can get hold of it. I haven't checked on CN's streaming for some time, but I seem to recall that it was terrible enough that I gave up. Was a few years ago, so I'm hoping they've improved since then.

Telonius
2015-12-04, 02:23 PM
Mako's shoes are going to be hard to fill, that's for certain. I wonder if they'll try to get Greg Baldwin for it, or cast somebody entirely new?

Fable Wright
2015-12-04, 02:28 PM
Mako's shoes are going to be hard to fill, that's for certain. I wonder if they'll try to get Greg Baldwin for it, or cast somebody entirely new?

They're already using Greg for Aku's voice in FusionFall, so it's a safe bet he'll be voicing Aku here.

He's still got very big shoes to fill, but he's had practice in them.

Morty
2015-12-05, 08:29 PM
Greg Baldwin did a good job voicing Iroh in ATLA and LoK. Aku is a very different character, though, so it might not work as well. His overwhelming hamminess might be difficult to replicate.

That concern aside, though, this is great news. I do hope the Scotsman shows up again, or else I'll have to write a sternly worded letter.

TheRedFox201
2015-12-08, 02:32 AM
Samurai Jack had the best swordfighting sounds, bar none. It was a downright beautifully made series, and it still managed to have that old school cartoon network feel.

I sincerely hope that this series holds up. Always time for more Jack. I personally want to see the SAM-UH-RAI that Jack beat some sense into show up at some point.

lurkmeister
2015-12-08, 08:36 AM
Holy .................................................. ..................................................

But Mako's kind of, you know, dead. Who's gonna replace him for Aku? The guy who replaced him in ATLA?

This is why Jack is awesome, btw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmkxsQnNujI

Hopeless
2015-12-08, 09:33 AM
Was this ever released on dvd?

BannedInSchool
2015-12-08, 10:15 AM
One of those odd things is that the cartoon could get away with Jack doing horrible things to robots, because that was oil and wires they were spilling, not blood and guts. Because they weren't "alive" they could be subject to graphic violence that didn't count for Broadcast Standards and Practices restrictions. At least that's how I understand it.

Rodin
2015-12-08, 10:23 AM
Was this ever released on dvd?

Yes, I own several of the seasons. Need to go back and watch some now. That Shinobi video just reminded me of what I've been missing. :smallbiggrin:

Aotrs Commander
2015-12-08, 10:38 AM
Colour me dubious.

Given CN's track record on this sort of thing (the last season of Dexter's Lab, the more recent PPG girls... thing, Xiaolin Chronicles)... I am not sure I trust them to be able to maintain the standard of the original.

(TTG could also be an example, for everybody aside from me, since because I am a horrible, horrible monstrous Evil entity, I find TTG rib-splittingly hilarious.)

With Genndy Tartakovsky on board, I suppose it stands a better chance than some.

'Course, it may not matter, since frack knows when or even if CN UK will ever show it...

Giggling Ghast
2015-12-08, 11:01 AM
UNBELIEVABLE. (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xJEU-CuCMkQ)

Y'know, given that all those who watched Samurai Jack when it was on TV are now 10-plus years older, maybe the new series will be a bit grittier?

t209
2015-12-08, 01:04 PM
And not to mention the closest thing to pre-insane Frank Miller.
Anyone read Ronin, which was basis for Samurai Jack?

danzibr
2015-12-08, 02:10 PM
Jack to the Jack, Jack to the Jack, Samurai Jack.

Almarck
2015-12-08, 03:23 PM
UNBELIEVABLE. (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xJEU-CuCMkQ)

Y'know, given that all those who watched Samurai Jack when it was on TV are now 10-plus years older, maybe the new series will be a bit grittier?

Practically confirmed.

Trailer has Adult Swim written on the bottom

Tiffanie Lirle
2015-12-08, 05:48 PM
I loved Jack so much when it was still on!

My favorite episode was the one with the mouse archers ontop of that lonely tower. Those dudes were seriously creepy.

They better not mess this up.. :smalltongue:

Hiro Protagonest
2015-12-08, 06:03 PM
One of those odd things is that the cartoon could get away with Jack doing horrible things to robots, because that was oil and wires they were spilling, not blood and guts. Because they weren't "alive" they could be subject to graphic violence that didn't count for Broadcast Standards and Practices restrictions. At least that's how I understand it.
Aye, I watched a kids' series (Eon Kid/Iron Kid) where the fighting forces were predominantly robots so they could get away with having them be destroyed by the actually important characters on both sides. Incidentally, this also meant that the one small group of human gangers piloting mechs had total plot armor.

I just watched the ultra-bots episode (gotta bingewatch this series on Hulu+ before it starts up again!) and yeah, they got away with showing corpses by having them be robot corpses. The first destroyed town was the only one without corpses because it was populated by humans (or at least human-like people), though the one dude who Jack found was clearly dying.

I loved Jack so much when it was still on!

My favorite episode was the one with the mouse archers ontop of that lonely tower. Those dudes were seriously creepy.

I thought they were jackals. They had pointed ears.

Xefas
2015-12-08, 06:08 PM
Guys. Guys. The Scotsman. Imagine the Scotsman. With Adult Swim freedoms. He was already the best side character. Now imagine.

(TTG could also be an example, for everybody aside from me, since because I am a horrible, horrible monstrous Evil entity, I find TTG rib-splittingly hilarious.)

Me too! There're dozens of us! Dozens!

Tiffanie Lirle
2015-12-08, 06:21 PM
I thought they were jackals. They had pointed ears.

I just looked it up. Apparently they're rats. :smalltongue:

Morty
2015-12-08, 07:12 PM
Even with loosened restrictions, I can't see Jack cleaving through organic beings the way he does with robots in the original series. But smaller wounds are a possibility. In the episode where the six bounty hunters prepare an ambush for Jack, it's heavily implied he killed them all except for the princess - it's just obscured.

Rater202
2015-12-08, 08:36 PM
thought they were jackals. They had pointed ears.

They turned back into regular people either when defeated or when Jack destroyed the wishing well that gave them their skills.(I forget which)

danzibr
2015-12-08, 09:27 PM
This is why Jack is awesome, btw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmkxsQnNujI
Oh man oh man. Forgot about this. So baddonkey.

I'm going to have to rewatch this series.

lurkmeister
2015-12-08, 09:31 PM
And not to mention the closest thing to pre-insane Frank Miller.
Anyone read Ronin, which was basis for Samurai Jack?
Yep! That one had a certifiably insane plot too :smallamused:

Rater202
2015-12-08, 09:36 PM
I'm kind of wondering, with the move to adult swim, that this might not be more targeted to a different demographic than the orignal series was?

Presumably the demographic of "people who were in the demographic the original show was in when it was on but are adults now."

lurkmeister
2015-12-08, 09:40 PM
I'm kind of wondering, with the move to adult swim, that this might not be more targeted to a different demographic than the orignal series was?

Presumably the demographic of "people who were in the demographic the original show was in when it was on but are adults now."
Jack always was a niche show ... that tends to be what happens your core demographic is niche.

That said, this is a niche demographic that appreciates quality. I grew up with Futurama, Powerpuff Girls when they were at their peak, Jack, and ATLA. Younger people grew up with Clone Wars too. I think the idea that animated shows can be adult, too, is becoming accepted in broader society.

Recaiden
2015-12-09, 11:36 AM
This is exciting news.

Almarck
2015-12-09, 11:50 AM

It's arguably targeting the exact same demographic from before... specifically the exact same demographic having aged by atleast a decade.

Definately targeted towards older viewers because quite really everyone has aged.

So yes, you're right. Really for the fans.

everdeenkatniss
2015-12-09, 12:51 PM

BannedInSchool
2015-12-09, 01:02 PM
It's arguably targeting the exact same demographic from before... specifically the exact same demographic having aged by atleast a decade.
They re-aired the original in the Saturday night AS block not too long ago. Thinking of that, I guess it got good ratings then, if the deal for a new run wasn't already made at that time.