PDA

View Full Version : How would you do the Spiked Chain in 5e?

Reosoul
2015-12-02, 07:21 PM
5e weapons are pretty standard, and while some weapons can be easily reflavored as something else, exotic weapons like the spiked chain tend to require more finesse to make sense in flavor and in mechanic.

Assuming one had to spend a feat to obtain the training and skill to wield a Spiked Chain, what would it's mechanical benefits be?

To me, it'd be a 10 ft. reach melee weapon, 2d4 damage, and maybe the light property(not sure how much this opens it up to rogue abuse)? Some of these I'm unsure on, which is why I'm looking to you guys!

JumboWheat01
2015-12-02, 07:31 PM
Light is for dual-wielding, finesse is what Rogues abuse. And I would definitely NOT consider a spiked chain a finesse weapon, or light. It should probably be two-handed, though not heavy, unless you think it best to not allow halflings or gnomes use it.

2d4 sounds good, maybe piercing damage, or bludgeoning, if it's more ball-and-chain. I wish 5e had dual-type attacks for weapons like 3.5, then it could be both at the same time, make things easier. Reach would be useful too, though I'm not sure it should work with Polearm mastery, which seems to be more about staff-based weaponry.

Kane0
2015-12-02, 07:59 PM
Martial two handed reach weapon, 1d8 piercing damage.

Magic Myrmidon
2015-12-02, 11:50 PM
If it doesn't require a feat, then nothing that crazy. 2d4 or so damage, finesse probably, and two handed probably. Martial weapon.

If it requires a feat though, I'd say there would have to be a significant advantage. Much more than the privelige of using a unique weapon. Something like the ability to choke whip people, or maybe let them disarm or trip without using maneuver dice. Feats are a huge investment in this game.

DracoKnight
2015-12-02, 11:56 PM
My group stats them out as follows:

Spiked Chain 15gp 1d8 slashing 5lbs reach, finesse, exotic

They were made using Easy_Lee's homebrew weapon guide.

Exotic is a weapon trait my group uses - it basically means that you have to take the Weapon Master feat to gain proficiency with that weapon, and you have disadvantage with any attack rolls using that weapon, unless you are proficient.

Steampunkette
2015-12-03, 01:00 AM
2d4 Two Handed and Reach seems good to me. It separates it from most martial weapons, having you roll two dice, and supports it with nice functions. However, I'd like to make a suggestion.

Ditch Two Handed and make it Versatile. 1d6/2d4.

That way more visual archetypes can make use of it for flair and style. One handed plus shield, dual wielding, etc.

georgie_leech
2015-12-03, 02:59 AM
My group stats them out as follows:

Spiked Chain 15gp 1d8 slashing 5lbs reach, finesse, exotic

They were made using Easy_Lee's homebrew weapon guide.

Exotic is a weapon trait my group uses - it basically means that you have to take the Weapon Master feat to gain proficiency with that weapon, and you have disadvantage with any attack rolls using that weapon, unless you are proficient.

Is dealing 1d8 instead of 1d4 really worth a feat? That's the only benefit this has over a Whip, which is just Martial, giving Fighters and the like access to it anyway.

DracoKnight
2015-12-03, 03:48 AM
Is dealing 1d8 instead of 1d4 really worth a feat? That's the only benefit this has over a Whip, which is just Martial, giving Fighters and the like access to it anyway.

There are other weapons that fall under the exotic tag that my group uses. The reason for the exotic tag on this weapon is that a rogue could potentially abuse the reach and finesse combination, with a d8 damage die.

georgie_leech
2015-12-03, 03:54 AM
There are other weapons that fall under the exotic tag that my group uses. The reason for the exotic tag on this weapon is that a rogue could potentially abuse the reach and finesse combination, with a d8 damage die.

As oppose to taking a level of Fighter and doing the exact same thing with a Whip? :smallconfused: The difference between a d4 and d8 is only 2 points of damage. Heck, a Fighter gets a fighting style at level 1, so Duelist bumps that up to d4+2, for the same average damage. The bulk of a Rogue's damage comes from Sneak Attack anyway, which is flat d6's independent of weapon choice.

Coidzor
2015-12-03, 04:42 AM

I'm not really seeing how there's potential for abuse. Especially in comparison with acquiring whip proficiency or just using a ranged weapon.

TheTeaMustFlow
2015-12-03, 04:53 AM
I think disintegrate should do it nicely. Might need to follow it up with gust of wind, just to be sure.