PDA

View Full Version : Card Hearthstone 14: We're Gonna be Rich!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Zevox
2015-12-02, 07:40 PM
Welcome to fourteenth GitP thread for Hearthstone. For anyone who doesn't know, Hearthstone is a video card game from Blizzard, based on the Warcraft series. The game is free to play and available here (http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/), so if you're interested, give it a shot. You've got nothing to lose but your free time. :smallwink:

For new players, something to be aware of is that there are a number of hidden "quests" you can complete which will give you free gold, dust, or even a pack. A complete list can be found here (http://www.hearthpwn.com/forums/hearthstone-general/general-discussion/1088-list-of-quests-and-daily-quests-in-hearthstone). Be aware that not quite all of those are ones you'll be able to complete quickly though.

And here is a list of Playgrounders currently in the game, for both NA and EU servers:

GitP UsernameBattle.net ID (US)
aethernoxethernox#1948
AgentPaperAgentPaper#1193
AmberVaelAmberVael#1225
AnarionAnarion55#1254
AntonokAntonok#1704
AnxeGoCorral#1879
BaelotBaelot#1149
CogwheelOmegaNixon#1123
banthesunbanthesun#1782
Dancing OwlbearOwlbear#1586
Destro YersulDestroYersul#1239
D_LordVolrock#1367
Duck999Duck999#1349
DuosDoctorDapper#1491
Firedaemon33Firedaemon#1486
Fleeing CowardScorch#1432
GAADGAAD#1126
GaelbertSamHouston#1563
GamerlordGamerlord#1612
GandarielCiabatta#2958
GanorenasGanorenas#1457
GomipileGlodd#1784
Gray MageGrayMage#1723
GrytormGrytorm#1777
HamsteTheorules#1234
Haruspex_PariahHaruspexPari#1254
HatevahHatevah#1405
HircineIllusiveMan#1616
jindra34JinRia #1770
JohnjimcoJohnJimco#1482
KarohtKaroht#1505
KishGrazzt#1417
KradeKrade#1266
LegoShrimplegoshrimp#1722
Landis963Landis963#1789
Loreweaver15Loreweaver#1199
Lunix VandalLunixVandal#1952
MacGiollaMacGiolla#1982
MathMageMathMage#1797
MCerberusMCerberus#1734
mistformsquirrlmistformsqrl#1430
Mystic MuseNSFJunkblade#1400
Neon KnightVultureCrook#1434
Neriractorneriractor#1483
NerociteJoeKage#1852
nhbdyNohbdy#1927
OlinserOlinser#1393
OnionbreathGiantSquid#1845
otakuryogaScootaloo#1471
Pokonicpokonic#1166
QwertystopQwertystop#1897
r2d2gor2d2go#1262
RosstinRosstin#1609
SamBurkeSamBurke#1486
ShishnarfneGruschenka#1375
SholosVeebeebee#1383
Stabbity Rabbit StabityRabit#1362
TemoteiTemotei#1507
Tesla_pastateslapasta#1973
Thanatos 51-50Thanatos5150#1407
TheGlyphstoneGlyphstone#1419
The Hellbugthehellbug#1216
The_JackalTheJackal#1499
TogarthAsparag#1680
Trouble BrewingHairyPoppins#1949
UserCloneUserClone #1545
VolatarVolatar#1750
YanaRaltis#1807
ZeroNumerousZeroNumerous#1913
ZevoxZevox#1522
ZmekJadeReaver #1783

GitP UsernameBattle.net ID (EU)
AdumbrationAdumbration#2419
Aran ThuleAranThule#2780
AvarisAvaris#2378
Avilan the GreyBeardedgeek#2355
boomwolfBoomWolf#1169
DadaScrattlebear#2863
D-naras Dinos #2811
Epinephrine_SynSilverSeraph #2931
Fleeing CowardScorch#1432
Frog DragonVasemmasti#2618
FyreByrdFyreByrd#2962
GandarielCiabatta#2958
GolemsVoiceCrazyCat#29897
HewhosaysfishHeWhoSezFish#2503
Hippie_VikingHippieViking#2866
Infernally ClayWinny#1904
JormengandTrianna#2529
LionheartLionheart#2440
MurmaiderMurmaider#2273
PoscaMazura#2636
RaddishRaddish#2730
ScionoftheVoidJayPsi#2775
ShinyRocksMoodyTuskarr#2790
SianSian#2690
SilfirSilfir#2863
SlyGuyMcFlySlGuyMcFly#2562
TokayTokay#2518
VolthawkVolthawk#1214
WeimannWeimann#2716
WraithIllusionist#2224
XianderXiander#2814

moossabi
2015-12-02, 07:47 PM
Should the tournament announcement still be up there? It started a while back, and doesn't seem accepting new players.

Rodin
2015-12-02, 07:53 PM
This week's Brawl makes my head hurt. I did it as Priest, and used basically no class cards. It took a while before the mechanics of it sank in.

The match I played was also LONG. As in, like 20 minutes, going past 20 turns long. Having multiple copies of every card you draft come back over and over will do that, I guess.

What finally won it for me was Brann Bronzebeard + Bomb Lobber. Two 4 damage bombs, yes please. Having to kill Illidan 4 times in the same match, not so much.

Not sure if I'm going to do more or not. The mode is certainly fun, but if all the matches are that long I'm not sure how much I can take.

Zevox
2015-12-02, 07:58 PM
Should the tournament announcement still be up there? It started a while back, and doesn't seem accepting new players.
The link to the sheet is still useful for those participating.

Corlindale
2015-12-02, 08:14 PM
This brawl makes a lot more sense if you've played the card game Dominion. The mechanics are very similar (build your deck as you play, start with crap cards that dilute your deck and discard your hand after every turn).

Weimann
2015-12-02, 08:44 PM
So the ideal case would be to play a high-value on-curve card each turn, correct? You want to avoid playing stuff like chickens since that'll put more of them in your deck.

The Glyphstone
2015-12-02, 08:53 PM
Can you not Discover weapons? I've yet to see one, in 10 consecutive Rogue or Warrior matches so far.

Mando Knight
2015-12-02, 08:55 PM
So the ideal case would be to play a high-value on-curve card each turn, correct? You want to avoid playing stuff like chickens since that'll put more of them in your deck.

No, the chickens (and everything else in your hand) go back into your deck regardless (unless you're discarding them or putting them on the board without playing them), so you want to play as much of your hand as possible every turn.

This is why in the last thread I said Mage is a good class for this: besides the Chickens, the deck also contains two kinds of Spare Parts (Whirling Blades and Armor Plating) and two Tarnished Coins, so you have plenty of cheap spells to trigger Mana Wyrm or Flamewaker (or if the game drags on long enough, Antonidas). Rogue's Combo cards are also potential goodies here.

Corlindale
2015-12-02, 08:56 PM
I believe cards go back in your deck whether you play them or not, so it's all about discovering good cards and making the most of each hand.

Haruspex_Pariah
2015-12-02, 09:10 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've drafted a card that I didn't get to play due to mana, and then drew that card a few turns later.

I've always liked these kind of tavern brawls that let people with small card pools play with stuff they'd otherwise never get their hands on.

The Glyphstone
2015-12-02, 09:13 PM
But any card you play does also clone itself. If it's still in hand at end of turn, it gets shuffled into the deck. If you play it, it goes to the field AND a copy of it goes into your deck.

moossabi
2015-12-02, 09:14 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I've drafted a card that I didn't get to play due to mana, and then drew that card a few turns later.

I've always liked these kind of tavern brawls that let people with small card pools play with stuff they'd otherwise never get their hands on.

Agreed. This is why random brawls are my favorite, you can always complete quests regardless of if you have cards for/care about a certain class.

Hamste
2015-12-02, 09:28 PM
I personally found the easiest way to victory is to stack the deck. Cards that make more cards are specifically good at this. I had 4-5 Malornes in a single deck before and another I discovered a lot of three drops with that 2 drop 1/1. The more cards that are not chickens in your hand the better though cheaper cards are better for card and mana efficiency (because of this AoE is also a lot better but pretty rare).

Rodin
2015-12-02, 09:44 PM
One card I don't particularly recommend is Gallywix. I played him without really thinking about it, but it can get terrifying really fast. If your opponent got a load of Coins, they can spend them all...and then double down with the coins you just gave them. And sure, you wind up with a full hand of coins and their spells....which then promptly vanish the following turn, so unless you can spend them....

Anything with a Divine Shield is pretty boss. Argent Commanders and Silvermoon Guardians in particular seem really powerful, since you can just spam them and they have really good board presence.

The Glyphstone
2015-12-02, 09:45 PM
Troggs are also nice if they become available.

Nerocite
2015-12-02, 09:49 PM
One of my opponents got Gazlowe, and that card put in a lot of work. Anything that likes lots of spells is really good in this Brawl.

Anarion
2015-12-02, 11:32 PM
Got my gold mage today in ranked. :smallbiggrin:

CarpeGuitarrem
2015-12-02, 11:32 PM
This brawl makes a lot more sense if you've played the card game Dominion. The mechanics are very similar (build your deck as you play, start with crap cards that dilute your deck and discard your hand after every turn).

I personally found the easiest way to victory is to stack the deck. Cards that make more cards are specifically good at this. I had 4-5 Malornes in a single deck before and another I discovered a lot of three drops with that 2 drop 1/1. The more cards that are not chickens in your hand the better though cheaper cards are better for card and mana efficiency (because of this AoE is also a lot better but pretty rare).
All very good and correct views on the brawl. It's fashioned after deckbuilding games, where you're upgrading your deck as you play. Here, since you get a copy of any card you play in your deck, you want to gravitate towards playing big, high-value minions so that you put more copies of them into your deck to replace the ones you play. And yeah, avoid chickens. That just clogs up your deck. They're basically the equivalent of Estates in Dominion, except that they don't give you points.

EDIT: Okay, thought about it some more.

It's true that cloning the card only really serves to make sure that you can play it again, since the minion on the board doesn't go back into your deck. However, any cards you don't play that turn...do you draw before or after shuffling them in? Because that can let you filter your draw.

GolemsVoice
2015-12-03, 01:08 AM
I think you shuffle first and then draw.

I had a fun experience with that one minion who gets divine shield everytime you play a buff on her. My opponent made the mistake of playing Mukla twice which, coupled with the spare parts, made for infinite divine shields.

otakuryoga
2015-12-03, 01:27 AM
I like the brawl
got the worst rare in the game in my pack for 1st win but I wasn't even mad..i mean come on, Angry Chicken as a reward for this brawl just makes too much thematic sense

Gandariel
2015-12-03, 02:13 AM
I announce the end of the first part of the tournament!

I don't have access to the spreadsheet right now, I'll edit in later.
In any case, For both regions, 1st ranked goes vs 4th ranked, 2nd vs 3rd, and then grand final!

Compete for eternal glory and our immeasurable prize pool!

And for anyone interested, my own decks for the tournament.
(I'll edit in the lists)
A Defense Druid, which is basically an aggro deck. Innervate, Power of the Wild, Unstable Ghoul,Nerubar Web Lord, Mark of the Wild. Follow up with Violet Teacher for token shenanigans and double combo to close.

A Defense Priest, which was my answer to a little thing I found out during deck building:
Oh, there is basically no Silence?
And half people are gonna lack hard removal?
Inner Fire priest time, then!!
Priest buffs, Deathlord, Lightspawn, even the new Djinni for mega combo wombos.
Was pretty fun and surprisingly solid.

Haruspex_Pariah
2015-12-03, 03:35 AM
Anyone have issues with Paladin secrets in the tbrawl? My hunter secrets worked fine but when I tried Avenge as a Pal it refused to activate despite many minion deaths.

EDIT: Disregard, I just found out that secrets only trigger on the opponent's turn. I've been playing a month and only just learned that lol

ChaosOS
2015-12-03, 04:08 AM
Deck I got a nice win streak today in ranked that moved me from rank 19 to rank 15

2 Hunter's Mark
2 Arcane Shot
2 Tracking
1 Bear Trap
1 Flare
2 Freezing Trap
2 Lock and Load
2 Quick Shot
2 King's Elekk
2 Mad Scientist
1 Eaglehorn Bow
2 Animal Companion
1 Deadly Shot
1 Powershot
2 Unleash the Hounds
1 Antique Healbot
1 Emperer Thaurissan
2 Savannah Highmane
1 Dr. Boom

-D-
2015-12-03, 05:39 AM
I won this brawl, with Infinite annoyatrons. I just kept playing Annoy-a-tron,after Annoy-a-tron,after Annoy-a-tron, after Annoy-a-tron, after Cogmaster, and buffing Annoy-a-trons with spare parts. It was hilarious.

Hamste
2015-12-03, 05:44 AM
First time I didn't even make the semi finals in one of these tournaments. Got beaten out for 4th place by someone who only played three games.

Incidentally, won a brawl just by playing mana wraith after mana wraith. I had three on the board before the Druid conceded having only been able to play chickens.

Destro_Yersul
2015-12-03, 05:58 AM
Anyone have issues with Paladin secrets in the tbrawl? My hunter secrets worked fine but when I tried Avenge as a Pal it refused to activate despite many minion deaths.

EDIT: Disregard, I just found out that secrets only trigger on the opponent's turn. I've been playing a month and only just learned that lol

It didn't used to work that way. There was a funny thing with Eye for an Eye where Paladins would play it and then use a weapon to hit the opponent's biggest minion, doing a lot of damage for only one mana. This, amongst other things, prompted a change to the mechanics.

Gandariel
2015-12-03, 07:21 AM
A little gem a friend sent me, from this week's brawlhttp://i.imgur.com/5YWYWDR.jpg

Chen
2015-12-03, 08:48 AM
Yeah the brawl is very similar to Dominion card game, though it seems you always draw from the full deck since there's never any "discard" pile shuffling in. This means you probably want to limit your early game picks unless they're quite strong and sticky (Annoy-o-tron is a good one). Just taking a low cost creature to play on curve is NOT a good idea. Notable strong cards I saw were Abusive Sergeant and Dark Iron Dwarf. Both always resulted in a lot of value whenever I played them. I picked up Bolvar as a first pick during my first game. That turned out to be pretty terrible once I figured out what the rules were lol.

Tokay
2015-12-03, 10:53 AM
Does anyone else feel like Millhouse and Elite Tauren Chieftain pop up way more than you would expect in the random tavern brawls? So far I've had Millhouse twice and the Chieftain once in four games, and it seems to be the same in the other random tavern brawls as well.

CarpeGuitarrem
2015-12-03, 12:30 PM
A little gem a friend sent me, from this week's brawlhttp://i.imgur.com/5YWYWDR.jpg
A VanCleef that gets put back in your deck is kiiiiiiiiiinda OP. :smallbiggrin:

I started Rogue because of quests, stayed with Rogue because of silliness like this.

Anarion
2015-12-03, 02:44 PM

Actually, that kind of thing is making me dislike this brawl. All the games I've played so far have been determined by who pulls a synergy card first. I won a mage one where I pulled a flamewaker on turn 3. I lost against a rogue who pulled violet teacher turn 3 and had multiple coins in hand. I lost another one against a druid that got a turn 1 power of the wild and then got it again on turn 2 and suddenly was buffing chickens every turn. It's a bit frustrating.

The Glyphstone
2015-12-03, 04:07 PM
So I clobbered Heroic Giantfin with Patron Warrior after a few tries (while cursing my lack of Baron Geddon, who is basically auto-win in this match), and I lucked out immensely on my second try vs Naz'jar - I used Warlock, but she barely played any minions at all, I think I would have won that with any aggro-oriented deck. Still puzzled over Heroic Slitherspear...thinking a Silence Priest deck might be best, since he's got too much health/armor to aggro burst before the Hungry Naga get impossibly large.

Wraith
2015-12-03, 04:30 PM
I've yet to see someone lose, having pulled Questing Adventurer.

I'm not a fan of this brawl. Randomness has it's place, I don't mind that, but having that AND having to constantly keep in mind a mini-version of the Arena's Tier list.... Too much like hard work, and then the guy opposite throws down three Yeti's anyway. :smallyuk:

TechnoWarforged
2015-12-03, 06:02 PM
I'm still not understanding this brawl. :( I did win 5 games with it via rogue. I figured the combo nature of this brawl makes rogue better

The Normal is pretty easy. Any normal deck can beat him
I used Raptor Deathrattle Rogue (I nicked named my deck RaptureJesus) for Lord Slitherspear. I think I won because the AI attacked my Egg and popped me a 4/4

Giantfin is also simple. Any aggro deck will do because all you need to do is keep your hand's number down. I think I used my aggro Hunter.

The only boss that needs a specially crafted deck is Lady Naz'jar. You need to have minions with weak stat but good battlecry and pray to the RNG God. Keeping her board clear is key. Cards that spawn more cards is also good like echo ooze, Razorfin hunter, and that 2/1 Murloc that spawn a 1/1 murloc. Feral Spirit is also good but I wont play too many overload because you need tempo to keep up with her minions.

Heroic I only took out Lady Naz'jar and Giantfin. I used an OTK shaman for Lady Naz'jar. Mana-Tide is essentially a 3 drop that also gives you a card. Board clear like lightning storm and elemental destruction is also key.

For Giant Fin I used a mill rogue. Rogue got decent board key for weak minion like fan of knives, blade fury, and the skulker. I just weather the storm out and then use brann and oracle/gang up to mill him out at the end. You don't need sap. Deathlord is also good here as well. I would think that hungry crab is also good here but I don't have any.

P.S Skulker with brann doesn't work :(

Grytorm
2015-12-03, 06:20 PM
Is it worthwhile to pick Mukla in order to fill their deck with Bananas? I did it once and it was definitely amusing. Although that might of worked because big early game minions with drawbacks can snowball you.

Destro_Yersul
2015-12-03, 07:03 PM
I ran up against a guy who played Mukla. You end up with a handful of nothing but bananas all the time and it is infuriating.

Zevox
2015-12-03, 07:09 PM
I announce the end of the first part of the tournament!

I don't have access to the spreadsheet right now, I'll edit in later.
In any case, For both regions, 1st ranked goes vs 4th ranked, 2nd vs 3rd, and then grand final!
For reference, those matchups would be:

NA:
Zevox (1st) vs Hircine (4th)
Anarion (2nd) vs Togarth (3rd)

EU:
Murmaider (1st) vs Frog Dragon (4th)
Thirsting (2nd) vs Volthawk (2nd)
[Thirsting and Volthawk tied]

I'll be most available come the weekend, but you might be able to catch me in the evening today or tomorrow. Best of luck to everyone!

Destro_Yersul
2015-12-03, 07:33 PM
New Wing SCIENCE!

Finley Mrrgleton is not a good idea if you've replaced your hero power with Justicar Trueheart, since he saddles you with the basic version again.

Finley has a unique bit of dialogue if you play him and he dies in the Slitherspear fight.

Giantfin draws, then uses his hero power, so you can always keep one card in hand. In normal, anyways. Haven't tried Heroic yet.

Paladin, and probably shaman, are quite hilarious vs Lady Naz'jar, since the hero power tokens count. Muster for battle is ludicrously good. So is Trueheart, in Paladin.

Other "end of turn" effects happen BEFORE Naz'jar's hero power goes off.

Heroic mode still to come.

TechnoWarforged
2015-12-03, 08:38 PM
Had to use OTK Priest to do the job. Even then you need a perfect draw of Northshire cleric, heal, and Deathlord to have a chance.

Ofcourse it'll get hard when he hero power, coin and get the 2/2 that does 2 damage to each enemy... then you can pratically kiss your Northshire goodbye.

However if you are lucky enough to get the deathlord running you should be okay.

Needless to say that silence, owl, mass dispel, and spellbreaker is a must. Save the Shadowword Death for the taunt. Circle is huge value late game especially if your cleric is still alive.

Zevox
2015-12-03, 08:39 PM
Note to self: next time you post the link to the new thread in the old one, do so in large font size and bold it.

Landis963
2015-12-03, 09:13 PM
I clobbered all three with my aggro paladin, and the Naz'jar fight was the most fun I'd had with that deck in a long time, let me tell you (For a few, brief, golden moments, Murloc Knight is once again insane). However, I've been having trouble with the Heroic versions. Especially Naz'jar, since her deck seems to change drastically between Normal and Heroic. Not to mention, of course, the fact that you don't get the upgrades from her Hero power on Heroic.

EDIT: Also, do not do a Reno deck vs. Heroic Naz'jar - it doesn't work.

Haruspex_Pariah
2015-12-03, 09:43 PM
Actually, that kind of thing is making me dislike this brawl. All the games I've played so far have been determined by who pulls a synergy card first. I won a mage one where I pulled a flamewaker on turn 3. I lost against a rogue who pulled violet teacher turn 3 and had multiple coins in hand. I lost another one against a druid that got a turn 1 power of the wild and then got it again on turn 2 and suddenly was buffing chickens every turn. It's a bit frustrating.

Yeah, the fact that your draft effect is essentially doubled due to the card also going into your deck can lead to some serious spam. What you draft early on, combined with the number of Coins you have in your hand at that moment, can often be the deciding factor. I've been on both ends of that.

If you can't say "whatev" and ride the rollercoaster of randomness, this brawl is probably not your cup of tea.

Anarion
2015-12-03, 09:55 PM
For reference, those matchups would be:

NA:
Zevox (1st) vs Hircine (4th)
Anarion (2nd) vs Togarth (3rd)

EU:
Murmaider (1st) vs Frog Dragon (4th)
Thirsting (2nd) vs Volthawk (2nd)
[Thirsting and Volthawk tied]

I'll be most available come the weekend, but you might be able to catch me in the evening today or tomorrow. Best of luck to everyone!

Thanks Zevox. Togath, I'm available tomorrow night (Friday pacific time) or during the afternoon Saturday and Sunday.

Destro_Yersul
2015-12-04, 12:52 AM
Heroic Giantfin is my bane. I want to shred his entire deck, and see how well he beats me with NO CARDS.

Edit: mage with nothing but freeze and board wipes did the trick. I shredded his deck. He did not beat me once he had no cards. Counterspell hitting Anyfin Can Happen is amazingly satisfying.

Togath
2015-12-04, 01:37 AM
Ok... Is it just me, or does siltherspear always target minions with 2hp first?(including ones like nerubian eggs)

Haruspex_Pariah
2015-12-04, 01:50 AM
I learned something new today. If you steal something with Shadow Madness, and it dies before it can return to it's original owner, its deathrattle treats you as the owner. I learned this by stealing the enemy's Harvest Golem, and using it to mutual kill another of its minions. Turns out I also got to keep a Damaged Golem out of the deal. That's a 3-1 trade? By accident, even.

Gandariel
2015-12-04, 03:00 AM
Yup, that's one of the best uses. Loot Hoarder and Mad Scientist are great too (you deny him the free secret)

Also, if you Recombobulate the Shadow Madness'd minion you get to keep it.

Silence will not work, however.

Avaris
2015-12-04, 04:04 AM
Question for those who are probability minded: I'm currently working on a handlock variant which uses Reno Jackson as a mid to late game restorative (I have no molten giants). Currently I have 10 2 of cards, which is clearly too many to reliably have Reno be playable soon after drawing. Question is, how many can be played, and what should they be?

vickyjohns
2015-12-04, 04:18 AM

stack the deck

Anarion
2015-12-04, 04:41 AM
Question for those who are probability minded: I'm currently working on a handlock variant which uses Reno Jackson as a mid to late game restorative (I have no molten giants). Currently I have 10 2 of cards, which is clearly too many to reliably have Reno be playable soon after drawing. Question is, how many can be played, and what should they be?

The standard Reno-lock deck (https://tempostorm.com/hearthstone/decks/renolock-meta-snapshot-39) actually runs only singletons, based on the idea that there are simply enough good cards that you can do well and heal with Reno when you get him. That said, a few doubles is typically fine. I'm running a freeze mage list at the moment that has 7 dupes: frost nova, doomsayer, ice block, ice barrier, ice lance, frostbolt, mad scientist. It's a bit mitigated by the fact that mad scientist pulls the secrets when he dies and by the fact that the deck runs a lot of draw, but I find Reno is usable by the end of the game in most cases. As a warlock, I'd say 6 max, though, since you might need him when you haven't had a chance to draw more than a couple extra cards.

Sian
2015-12-04, 05:27 AM
Giantfin have a unique dialogue if you play Old Murk-eye (even if summoned by Murloc Knight)

Destro_Yersul
2015-12-04, 06:07 AM
Heroic Mode:

Slitherspear: Stealing his cards can actually be pretty good. MCT is great. Mass Dispel is great. Thoughtsteal is occassionally great, if you get the 2 mana consecrate + 2/2 minion or the 5/7 taunt. It's less good if you get other stuff. He does not start with the Finley Cauldron.

Giantfin: Is my nemesis of this adventure so far. The only way I found to beat him was to pack nothing but stall and AOE and pray. I was at 3HP when he finally ran out of sodding murlocs. There's probably a better way.

EDIT: It only just occured to me that I should have been running Hungry Crab. I kinda forgot that card existed. :smallredface:

Lady Naz'jar: Incredibly easy, pushover-level fight. Beat it first go with paladin. Summon guys, play cards that summon other cards, and play cards with great battlecries and bad stats. Always, always control the board.

turbo164
2015-12-04, 10:31 AM
Yup, that's one of the best uses. Loot Hoarder and Mad Scientist are great too (you deny him the free secret)

Also, if you Recombobulate the Shadow Madness'd minion you get to keep it.

Silence will not work, however.

Brewmasters can put it in your hand too :)

Regarding brawl, lost a few when I get choices like "Magma Rager vs Windfury Harpy vs Ancient Mage, which do you want to clog your hand for the rest of the game" while the enemy got Water Elementals and stuff.

Won one with a turn 1 Coin, Coin, Coin, Violet Teacher. Turn 2 coins, spare parts, enemy concedes.

ShinyRocks
2015-12-04, 12:07 PM
Using Cabal Shadowpriest on one of Giantfin's Murloc Tidecallers is pretty hilarious. Thanks for all the buffs, buddy!

Anarion
2015-12-04, 03:16 PM
Oh wow, I didn't realize fallen hero (spawned via piloted shredder) makes warlocks deal extra damage to themselves. I was just playing a warlock who killed himself by hero powering at 3 life.

GolemsVoice
2015-12-04, 06:20 PM
Heh, that's actually pretty hilarious.

EDIT: I wonder if it works on a priest in shadowform (likely) and a priest with Auchenai Soulpriest out.

Mystic Muse
2015-12-04, 06:33 PM
Trying to decide which legend to craft: Aviana, Fizzlebang, Rhonin, True heart, or Sneed's Old Shredder?

GolemsVoice
2015-12-04, 06:35 PM
What deck do you want to play? There's an Aviana Ramp Druid floating around, and while every class can make use of Trueheart, Control Warrior benefits immensely from her.

Mystic Muse
2015-12-04, 06:40 PM
What deck do you want to play? There's an Aviana Ramp Druid floating around, and while every class can make use of Trueheart, Control Warrior benefits immensely from her.

The answer is "all of them" :smalltongue:

My collection is huge and I have the cards to make a deck for any class.

Hamste
2015-12-04, 06:42 PM
Trying to decide which legend to craft: Aviana, Fizzlebang, Rhonin, or True heart?

Probably True Heart or Rhonin. True Heart is so good in most control decks and Rhonin is so nice in mage.

Zevox
2015-12-04, 06:44 PM
Trying to decide which legend to craft: Aviana, Fizzlebang, Rhonin, True heart, or Sneed's Old Shredder?
Of those, only Justicar Trueheart sees play in top-end competitive decks (Paladin and Warrior mainly, occasionally Priest), so she'd be my default answer. Rhonin I think sometimes shows up in Tempo Mage, but not always. Next best I'd say is Sneed's. I'm not sure that Aviana or Fizzlebang are any good at all, really.

Mystic Muse
2015-12-04, 06:53 PM
Kinda figured Trueheart was probably best, just wanted to confirm.

Anarion
2015-12-04, 07:09 PM
Of those, only Justicar Trueheart sees play in top-end competitive decks (Paladin and Warrior mainly, occasionally Priest), so she'd be my default answer. Rhonin I think sometimes shows up in Tempo Mage, but not always. Next best I'd say is Sneed's. I'm not sure that Aviana or Fizzlebang are any good at all, really.

Rhonin would appear in tempo and potentially mech mage if the meta slows down. It's no good right now because most decks have too much pressure to be able to spend your turn 8 playing a card that doesn't actually do anything for at least a turn.

Sholos
2015-12-04, 09:12 PM
Having just played this week's Brawl, I must say I can see the potential for lots of frustration. But then you draft Sorcerer's Apprentice in the first round followed by Forgotten Torch in the second and laugh like an idiot as your deck swiftly contains nothing but Roaring Torches.

moossabi
2015-12-04, 10:03 PM
Just beat Razuvious at full health as a paladin. :smalltongue:

Nerocite
2015-12-05, 03:38 AM
Double Cho in Brawl is madness.

thirsting
2015-12-05, 04:50 AM
Most played brawl for me so far, I've had a victory or two with every class, and numerous losses of course, and I still want to play it more.

Is there a maximum size the deck can't exceed? Don't think I've managed to go over 30 cards yet without either player conceding..

Haruspex_Pariah
2015-12-05, 08:21 AM
At this point I'm just using the Brawl to farm the 10 gold per 3 wins quest and to level up my neglected classes.

No need to worry about ranking, meta, deckbuilding. Just make it up as you go along. And if the enemy drops a turn 1 Questing Adventurer or Violet Teacher, well, that's what the concede button is for. Next time might be your turn.

That said, I'm not sad to see it end. The novelty's probably wearing a bit thin for some, and I'm excited to see what they think of next.

CarpeGuitarrem
2015-12-05, 12:30 PM
The only Brawl fight I've been pretty annoyed by was one that I should've conceded on long before: a Control Warrior who picked up Trueheart and Grommash. It was just a matter of attrition, no matter what I picked.

Lunix Vandal
2015-12-05, 01:19 PM
One question I had was whether discarding cards made them get shuffled back into your deck -- for example, if you play Doomguard and discard two Chickens, are the Chickens gone forever? The Brawl I had this morning against a Warlock that drew three Soulfires in as many turns had me wondering ...

Of course, then my next Brawl after that was just as silly in my favor. Turn 4 Coin + Loatheb, Turn 5 Duplicate + Hero Power, Turn 6 Coin + Antonidas + Coin + Armor Plating on Loatheb. My opponent conceded immediately. :smalltongue:

Hamste
2015-12-05, 01:21 PM
One question I had was whether discarding cards made them get shuffled back into your deck -- for example, if you play Doomguard and discard two Chickens, are the Chickens gone forever? The Brawl I had this morning against a Warlock that drew three Soulfires in as many turns had me wondering ...

Of course, then my next Brawl after that was just as silly in my favor. Turn 4 Coin + Loatheb, Turn 5 Duplicate + Hero Power, Turn 6 Coin + Antonidas + Coin + Armor Plating on Loatheb. My opponent conceded immediately. :smalltongue:

I know Fel Reaver actually destroys the cards at least. Trump got one and it resulted in him drawing the same cards everyturn as it destroyed every other card in his deck.

The Glyphstone
2015-12-05, 01:54 PM
The recent Hearthstone patch had some data about upcoming brawls pre-loaded into it, apparently. Blizzwatch had a short article about the patch contents, spoilered if you don't want to know what potential Brawls we'll be seeing.

There is also a Winter Veil Wreath card back for participating in the Winter Veil Brawl that will start on December 9th. In that Brawl, crates will drop onto a special Winter Veil board and smashing your opponent’s crate will grant you a gift, though it’s unclear what that gift will be.

There are three other new Brawls in this patch as well. Battle of the Builds asks you to build a deck around a single theme like Battlecry or Murlocs. Deal Your Fate uses the new Discover mechanic, but the cards you choose are from the all new set called Fate cards. Blingtron’s Beauteous Brawl has the overly generous robot changing your hero power to Equip A Random Weapon and gives you weapons as well.

otakuryoga
2015-12-05, 02:51 PM

no..cards go away..i lost a sylvanus that way 8(

Zevox
2015-12-05, 07:07 PM
Challengestone Tournament report: Myself vs Hircine goes 2-1 in his favor. All three games were quite close, with me pulling a comeback in the first game and him just managing to pull enough damage to kill me before I could stabilize in the second and third.

My decks were a Dragon Mage (offensive spells) and Control Warrior (defensive spells). I wonder if I'm the only one who noticed, but Control Warrior actually doesn't lose a lot to the restrictions of the format. Firey War Axe, but that matters less because so many low-cost minions are unplayable. Shield Slam, which is very unfortunate, but there are other cards that can be run in their place and become better with these rules slowing games down, like Crush and a second Brawl. Shield Maiden, but that matters less without Shield Slam. Taskmaster, but he matters less when the game is slower too. Some legendaries, but there are other legendaries, some of which become better due to the format, such as Sneed's Old Shredder.

Deck lists, in case anyone's curious:
2x Mana Wyrm
2x Flamecannon
2x Frostbolt
1x Forgotten Torch
2x Acolyte of Pain
1x Big Game Hunter
2x Blackwing Technician
2x Dragonkin Sorcerer
2x Twilight Drake
2x Twilight Guardian
1x Flame Lance
2x Sludge Belcher
2x Piloted Sky Golem
1x Volcanic Drake
2x Flamestrike
Red Blackhand
Chrommagus
Kel'Thuzad
Ysera
2x Execute
2x Heroic Strike
2x Unstable Ghoul
1x Ogre Warmaul
1x Shield Block
2x Acolyte of Pain
1x Big Game Hunter
2x Death's Bite
2x Refreshment Vendor
2x Twilight Drake
2x Brawl
2x Sludge Belcher
Justicar Trueheart
2x Piloted Sky Golem
1x Gorehowl
1x Crush
Chrommagus
Grommash Hellscream
Sneed's Old Shredder
Ysera

Togath
2015-12-06, 06:31 AM
To Anarion: sorry about not being available much >_<
I really should be available today.

Gandariel
2015-12-06, 09:00 AM
I wonder if I'm the only one who noticed, but Control Warrior actually doesn't lose a lot to the restrictions of the format.

Yeah, i thought about it a bit, and you're mostly correct.
But then again, anything that favours control will favour Control warrior.

Other than the ones you listed, i think the main thing Warrior loses is its finisher (Alex + an activator for Grom)

Anyways, my Challengestone decks.

Simple reasoning.
All decks are slow, so all decks have less early game tools.
This is more or less the most aggressive thing i could make, in the hopes of catching people off-guard
http://i.imgur.com/em4VLBd.png

More simple reasoning:
Almost noone has silence, half people don't have hard removal....
Sounds like a perfect time for a cheesy Inner Fire Priest! The new Djinni card even came out just in time.
Fun fact: If you copy PW:S you get two card draws !

http://i.imgur.com/VGkpAwX.png

Zevox
2015-12-06, 12:04 PM

Other than the ones you listed, i think the main thing Warrior loses is its finisher (Alex + an activator for Grom)

Simple reasoning.
This is more or less the most aggressive thing i could make, in the hopes of catching people off-guard

More simple reasoning:
Sounds like a perfect time for a cheesy Inner Fire Priest! The new Djinni card even came out just in time.

Seeing a BGH in that first deck reminds me: I came to conclusion that running that was a mistake, myself. Most of his targets are banned by the rules - no Giants, no Boom, no Ragnaros, etc - and most of the things that replace them can't be hit by him (Chrommagus, Kel'Thuzad, Ysera, Sneed's, etc). I think I managed to hit something with mine exactly once during the tournament, and it was just an Emerald Drake created by Ysera.

Hamste
2015-12-06, 12:15 PM
Yeah, I didn't have most of the big legendaries that fit or late game cards so I decided to go with a heavy aggro approach myself. I used a defensive spells hunter who tempoed out the opponent and an offensive mage which I played horribly. My biggest weakness was that I actually tried to stay with in the 30 minute time limit for making the deck meaning I missed some extremely good cards specifically a few draw cards and it heavily cost my mage who continuously ran out of steam.

Gandariel
2015-12-06, 12:31 PM
Seeing a BGH in that first deck reminds me: I came to conclusion that running that was a mistake, myself. Most of his targets are banned by the rules - no Giants, no Boom, no Ragnaros, etc - and most of the things that replace them can't be hit by him (Chrommagus, Kel'Thuzad, Ysera, Sneed's, etc). I think I managed to hit something with mine exactly once during the tournament, and it was just an Emerald Drake created by Ysera.

Eh, BGH has such a small risk for its reward, i put one in just in the off-chance

Haruspex_Pariah
2015-12-06, 04:47 PM
I don't have any form of recording software, so I started keeping text logs of my ranked matches. It's...interesting reading. The enemy's class, and whether or not there's a noticeable theme to their deck. If there isn't, I note down any cards they played that stand out.

47% win rate ever since I started keeping track. I also try to keep a track of my own misplays, and any interesting combos the enemy used. I ran into both a Murloc Shaman and an Overload Shaman, which are relevant to my interests.

Landis963
2015-12-07, 04:50 PM
I'm trying to do the heroic battles for LoE, and I'm running into quite a bit of trouble with Slitherspear. I tried an aggro paladin, no luck. I tried zoo, no luck. I'm currently trying a Spirit Priest combo deck (Divine Spirit+Inner Fire), and I got the closest to lethal I ever got, but still haven't cracked that particular nut. Any pointers?

Also, I'm looking for Heroic Archaedas, Giantfin, Scarvash, and Phaerix inspiration. (I've done the others)

Hamste
2015-12-07, 05:04 PM
I'm trying to do the heroic battles for LoE, and I'm running into quite a bit of trouble with Slitherspear. I tried an aggro paladin, no luck. I tried zoo, no luck. I'm currently trying a Spirit Priest combo deck (Divine Spirit+Inner Fire), and I got the closest to lethal I ever got, but still haven't cracked that particular nut. Any pointers?

Also, I'm looking for Heroic Archaedas, Giantfin, Scarvash, and Phaerix inspiration. (I've done the others)

Try mill, sending the minions back to his hand is really good as he plays them as 1/1 and with Bran plus cold light you can make him over draw so much.

Landis963
2015-12-07, 05:14 PM
Try mill, sending the minions back to his hand is really good as he plays them as 1/1 and with Bran plus cold light you can make him over draw so much.

He does use Overwhelming presence quite a lot. And I think that's how I eventually took out Heroic Naz'jar. Can you point me towards a decklist?

Hamste
2015-12-07, 05:21 PM
Backstabx2
Preperationx2
Shadowstepx2
Betrayalx2
Evisceratex2
Gang upx2
sapx2
ironbeak owlx2
Fan of Knivesx2
Big Game Hunterx2
Brann Bronzebeard
Coldlight oraclex2
Deathlord
Refreshment Vendor
Antique Healbotx2
Azure Drake
Vanishx2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBgXRDX78hY

Kripp explains it a bit here as well as showed his winning game.

Landis963
2015-12-07, 05:34 PM
Backstabx2
Preperationx2
Shadowstepx2
Betrayalx2
Evisceratex2
Gang upx2
sapx2
ironbeak owlx2
Fan of Knivesx2
Big Game Hunterx2
Brann Bronzebeard
Coldlight oraclex2
Deathlord
Refreshment Vendor
Antique Healbotx2
Azure Drake
Vanishx2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBgXRDX78hY

Kripp explains it a bit here as well as showed his winning game.

I have most of that, but what I know I don't have are the Big Game Hunters and the Gang Ups. I might also be missing the Antique Healbot, I'll need to check.

EDIT: :smallannoyed: I'm missing the g**d**n Coldlight Oracles. The backbone of the mill rogue strat. :smallsigh:

gomipile
2015-12-07, 10:19 PM
I'm looking for some more friends to get "Watch and Learn" quests done. My BattleTag is Glodd#1784. Yes, you have my permission to add that to the thread's top post.

Joran
2015-12-07, 10:40 PM

Simple reasoning.

More simple reasoning:

In a totally uncreative manner, I thought about which minions were going to not be banned, with a specific emphasis on early game minions. Then I thought up of meta decks that would use those minions. I ended up only playing 3 games, so no clue how good my decks were.

I did create a third deck, which was a druid deck, since Combo was still allowed, but I didn't record what cards I put in it.

Mage had Mana Wyrm + Flamewaker, so I thought Tempo Mage. Loaded a bunch of offensive spells + minions that benefited from spells.

2 Arcane Missiles
2 Mana Wyrm
2 Flamecannon
2 Frostbolt
2 Forgotten Torch
1 BGH
2 Flamewaker
2 Scarlet Crusader
2 Fireball
2 Burly Rockjaw Trogg
2 Violet Teacher
2 Water Elemental
Feugen
Stalagg
2 Sludge Belcher
1 Flamestrike
1 Antoidas
1 Chromaggus
1 Kel'Thuzad

I also thought of Priest, since Wrymrest Agent was still available as was a lot of the dragons. Hence, a dragon priest.

2 PWS
2 Cleric
1 Shadow Word Pain
2 Wyrmrest Agent
2 Shadow Word:Death
1 Thoughtsteal
2 Velen's Chosen
2 Blackwing Technician
1 Mindgames
1 Shadow Magness
2 Dragonkin Sorcerer
2 Twilight Drake
2 Twilight Guardian
Feugen
Stalagg
2 Sludge Belcher
1 Rend Blackhand
1 Chromaggus
1 Kel'Thuzad
1 Mind Control

Heroic Mode:

Slitherspear: Stealing his cards can actually be pretty good. MCT is great. Mass Dispel is great. Thoughtsteal is occassionally great, if you get the 2 mana consecrate + 2/2 minion or the 5/7 taunt. It's less good if you get other stuff. He does not start with the Finley Cauldron.

Giantfin: Is my nemesis of this adventure so far. The only way I found to beat him was to pack nothing but stall and AOE and pray. I was at 3HP when he finally ran out of sodding murlocs. There's probably a better way.

EDIT: It only just occured to me that I should have been running Hungry Crab. I kinda forgot that card existed. :smallredface:

Lady Naz'jar: Incredibly easy, pushover-level fight. Beat it first go with paladin. Summon guys, play cards that summon other cards, and play cards with great battlecries and bad stats. Always, always control the board.

Slitherspear: Put together a really gimmicky Inner Fire Priest deck. Mass Dispel takes out his hero power minions, Deathlord trades well with his early minions. Ragnaros and The Black Knight were really good at the late game. This one was the really difficult one for me.

Giantfin: I queued in with my zoo deck just to see what was different with the heroic. Knife Juggler was an absolute sniper this entire game. Got pretty lucky with my draws and won; he also never drew into any murloc that wasn't the 2/1s, 3/2, 1/2, or the 1/1, so I'm not sure if that's normal.

Lady Naz'jar: Grabbed a bunch of token minions, traded a bunch, won pretty easily.

Someone on Reddit put together a fancy graph of probabilities:
https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/3sedmw/reno_jackson_science/

Haruspex_Pariah
2015-12-07, 11:41 PM
I ran into a Warlock who used Tournament Medic to turn Life Tap into a super safe card draw. Then he played Succubus and lost his Reno Jackson. I actually felt bad for the guy.

Zevox
2015-12-08, 12:04 AM
I'm looking for some more friends to get "Watch and Learn" quests done. My BattleTag is Glodd#1784. Yes, you have my permission to add that to the thread's top post.
I'll need to know which server you're on as well.

GAAD
2015-12-08, 12:37 AM
So I tried out a Control Mage based around Brann Bronzebeard, Ethereal Conjurer, Jewelled Scarab, and Duplicate/Effigy. With some Sludge Belchers, Healbots, Chow, and removal thrown in for good measure.

CONTROL MAGE
16-5
Druid: 2-1
Combo Druid: 1-1
Aggro Druid: 1-0
Hunter: 0-1
Face Hunter: 0-0
Midrange Hunter: 0-1
Mage: 3-1
Mech Mage: 0-0
Tempo Mage: 2-1
Freeze Mage: 0-0
Control Mage: 1-0
Paladin: 0-0
Secret Paladin: 0-0
Midrange Paladin: 0-0
Priest: 1-0
Dragon Priest 0-0
Control Priest 1-0
Rogue: 2-0
Raptor Rogue 1-0
Oil Rogue 0-0
Mill Rogue 1-0
Shaman: 1-1
Face Shaman 0-1
Midrange Shaman 1-0
Warlock: 4-1
Flood Warlock 1-0
Zoo Warlock 2-0
Malygos Warlock 0-1
Hand Warlock 1-0
Warrior: 3-0
Patron Warrior 0-0
Control Warrior 2-0
Fatigue Warrior 1-0

So, interesting thing while laddering was that I faced no Paladins. Zero.
Also, I fought my first Face Shaman. I lost the game to Totemroll Wrath of Air into topdeck Ancestral Knowledge into double maximized Crackle for exact 14 lethal, but I do believe it to be a favored matchup in absence of god draws from the Shammy.
Interesting thing is this deck absolutely CRUSHED the Control Warriors I fought against. At no point did they ever have the advantage; I just keep discovering Secret after Secret after removal after burn after Secret. It was glorious, and nice to know I have a hard counter to them in my favored deck spots.

Rosstin
2015-12-08, 03:00 AM
Trogg Aggro Shaman is soooooo fun

Earth Shock
Lightning Bolt
Lightning Bolt
Rockbiter Weapon
Rockbiter Weapon
Abusive Sergeant
Leper Gnome
Leper Gnome
Sir Finley Mrrgglton
Tunnel Trogg
Tunnel Trogg
Ancestral Knowledge
Ancestral Knowledge
Crackle
Crackle
Lava Shock
Lava Shock
Flametongue Totem
Knife Juggler
Totem Golem
Totem Golem
Feral Spirit
Feral Spirit
Lava Burst
Lava Burst
Argent Horserider
Argent Horserider
Wolfrider
Doomhammer
Doomhammer

Astrella
2015-12-08, 05:22 AM
I run a Mech version with Tunnel Trogg, but yeah it's fun. :)

Destro_Yersul
2015-12-08, 05:24 AM
I like Shaman, so I'm happy to see it get some good cards. If Tunnel Trogg is the one thing that was really needed to make a meta-viable shaman deck archetype, that's cool!

Now, if only it wasn't face deck...

Anxe
2015-12-08, 01:33 PM
Just got a $25 promotional appstore credit on Amazon. I used it for Hearthstone obviously. Came away with:

Final Wing of League of Explorers
An Arena ticket
11 Grand Tournament Packs

Notables from the packs were:
Eadric the Pure
Mysterious Challenger (my second)
Beneath the Grounds
A smattering of commons and rares to get me closer to a complete collection
Enough random garbage I already had duplicates of to get 400 dust.

Hamste
2015-12-08, 02:10 PM
So the text on the sword of justice, djinni and ships cannon has been changed to be more consistent that they happen after. Jaraxxus also can't be silenced by Light's Champion anymore.

The Glyphstone
2015-12-08, 02:23 PM
You could silence Jaraxxus? What happened?

Hamste
2015-12-08, 02:26 PM
You could silence Jaraxxus? What happened?
A fair bit depending on what is affecting you. Here is Disguised Toast's video on the subject when it worked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zotCRXe22tc

The Glyphstone
2015-12-08, 02:31 PM
Okay, but it didn't like shut off his hero power or return him to being Gul'dan or anything.

Hamste
2015-12-08, 02:46 PM
Okay, but it didn't like shut off his hero power or return him to being Gul'dan or anything.

Nope, nothing like that. Though it is interesting that it used to be able to counter freezing or repentance.

CarpeGuitarrem
2015-12-08, 03:24 PM
So the text on the sword of justice, djinni and ships cannon has been changed to be more consistent that they happen after. Jaraxxus also can't be silenced by Light's Champion anymore.
I also heard that now Sacred Trial works on Jaraxxus.

Landis963
2015-12-08, 04:57 PM
Just beat Phaerix earlier today (Beat him up with his own rod, buffed to high heaven with a Spirit-Fire combo). I've heard tell of Shaman beating Heroic Archaedas, but I haven't had a chance to try it out myself. Also, I had to abandon my plans of beating heroic Slitherspear with mill rogue, because I have neither half of the combo that makes it work, namely, neither Gang Up (which requires Wave 1 of BRM) nor Coldlight Oracle (which requires 75 dust to craft 1).

EDIT: Shaman beat Archaedas first try. All that matters is flooding the board so he can't put his claymore minions onto your side of the field.

gomipile
2015-12-08, 07:35 PM
I'll need to know which server you're on as well.

Oops. That's Glodd#1784 on US.

Grytorm
2015-12-08, 08:11 PM
Trogg Aggro Shaman is soooooo fun

Earth Shock
Lightning Bolt
Lightning Bolt
Rockbiter Weapon
Rockbiter Weapon
Abusive Sergeant
Leper Gnome
Leper Gnome
Sir Finley Mrrgglton
Tunnel Trogg
Tunnel Trogg
Ancestral Knowledge
Ancestral Knowledge
Crackle
Crackle
Lava Shock
Lava Shock
Flametongue Totem
Knife Juggler
Totem Golem
Totem Golem
Feral Spirit
Feral Spirit
Lava Burst
Lava Burst
Argent Horserider
Argent Horserider
Wolfrider
Doomhammer
Doomhammer

I'm playing a Mech version of the deck. I am a horrible person, first character I get to gold is Hunter. Now I am playing Face Mech Shaman and Secret Paladin.

Togath
2015-12-08, 11:44 PM
Not quite sure how to announce the results for the most recent challengestone thing.
Ended up with 2 wins/0 losses vs Anarion.

Also, does anyone have advice for what sort of decks to use Nexus-Champion Saarad in?

Anxe
2015-12-08, 11:57 PM
Not quite sure how to announce the results for the most recent challengestone thing.

Also, does anyone have advice for what sort of decks to use Nexus-Champion Saarad in?

Seen it in Priest Control a fair amount.

Zevox
2015-12-09, 12:03 AM
Which makes our finals Togath vs Hircine!

Control decks in general. I've seen people try it in Warrior, Paladin, and Priest. It's never really become a popular thing, though. Just not consistently good enough, I suspect.

ChaosOS
2015-12-09, 01:18 AM
Saraad's issue is that he's slow enough value that he's not really viable outside of control decks (Maybe a VERY controlling version of tempo mage), but is too fragile to really be worth 7 mana for one random spell+eating removal+hero power effect. If you need persistent value Ysera and Confessor Paletress are significantly stronger finishers. Ysera is extremely hard to kill while Paletress can generate a SIGNIFICANT amount of value off of even one activation (She suffers consistency issues sometimes when all she does is pull somewhere between a 2/2 and a 4/4 but still on average drops something huge). Warrior-wise cards such as Baron Geddon and Alextrasza/Gromm eat up your big finisher slots.

TLDR; Too fragile and too inconsistent value for one activation

Haruspex_Pariah
2015-12-09, 02:01 AM
Frankly speaking, is there a significant power gulf between those that have access to adventures and those that don't? It seems that every enemy is taunting me with their fancy adventure exclusives while I glower at them like some discontent peasant.

I guess what I want to ask is, which heroes do best on a budget.

Anxe
2015-12-09, 02:44 AM
Hunter and Warlock do well on budget, but adventures definitely have some cards that will improve both of those decks. Warlock's Zoo archetype is probably the easiest to pull off without going too deep into the expensive train.

ChaosOS
2015-12-09, 03:35 AM
Even then Zoo really really likes its Nerubian eggs and Imp Gang Bosses.

Epinephrine_Syn
2015-12-09, 03:58 AM
So I've played arena, even idly and while doing other things I've played too much I feel. But I think this might be a serious contender for my second ever 12-0 deck. 10-0 right now, and I'm hoping to hit The Dream.

http://i.imgur.com/OF0k9za.jpg

Not Pictured: Volcanic Drake
Captured Jorumgar
Dr. Boom
Northsea Kraken

Haruspex_Pariah
2015-12-09, 04:03 AM
Ugh Nerubian Eggs. You want to waste a silence on a 2-drop or wait for the inevitable activator which gives it double value or just hit it to give the enemy a cheap 4/4. There are no good answers.

Gandariel
2015-12-09, 04:46 AM
Frankly speaking, is there a significant power gulf between those that have access to adventures and those that don't? It seems that every enemy is taunting me with their fancy adventure exclusives while I glower at them like some discontent peasant.

No-secrets-variant of Mech Mage. Solid, reliable and aggressive. Go for the aggressive variant, skip Antonidas and get either Flamestrikes or Fel Reavers.

Face Hunter: the lack of Quick shot doesn't hurt, the lack of Mad Scientist kinda does. But not really in a serious way.

Anti aggro Priest. Good old Circle - Northshire - Blademaster - Auchenai- Wild Pyro core, sprinkle random cards until your deck is filled. You'll be sad at the lack of Dark Cultist, but you'll survive.

Ramp Druid works well without Adventure cards. Well it does use Shades of Naxx, but you can replace those. And the whole deck is kinda cheap as well (two Ancients of Lore and one or two Force of Nature)

Zevox
2015-12-09, 08:16 AM

Certain decks do really want select adventure cards - most control decks like Sludge Belcher, some like Zombie Chow, Zoo and similar decks like Haunted Creeper and Nerubian Egg, Mage and Hunter in general auto-include Mad Scientist, Freeze Mage and some other control decks want Thaurissan, and Dragon Priest of course needs Blackrock Mountain in general.

But not all, no. Mech Mage and Face Hunter can work without Mad Scientist (and Creeper in Hunter's case), though they definitely prefer to have him, as can Zoo without Creeper/Egg, and all three are viable on a budet. Chow is sometimes even removed from decks that normally run it when there's not enough aggro in the meta. Handlock doesn't need adventure cards at all, though it wants a few too many higher-rarity cards to truly be a budget deck (you can skip the legendaries, but the four Giants are a must).

CarpeGuitarrem
2015-12-09, 12:00 PM

In my experience, adventures see a much higher density of unique design ideas and effectiveness. Expansions that booster packs come from are usually filled with a good amount of chaff and pack fodder.

Rodin
2015-12-09, 01:01 PM
In my experience, adventures see a much higher density of unique design ideas and effectiveness. Expansions that booster packs come from are usually filled with a good amount of chaff and pack fodder.

I generally consider the adventures to be better pound-for-pound value too.

Consider Blackwing Lair: 31 cards, and you are guaranteed two of each. Minus missing 2nd Legendaries, it comes out to 57 cards. It includes 11 cards listed as Rare, doubled, for 22 guaranteed Rares. 5 guaranteed Legendaries. No Epics, oddly - I guess they decided to just stick with one randomly chosen rarity.

It's $25 for the whole lot, which comes out to roughly 20 packs. 20 packs is ~20 rares and 80 commons, with 0 guaranteed Epics and Legendaries. There's also a high chance of the cards you get being ones you already own two of, making them a wasted slot. For instance, Hearthstone apparently insists that I have two Hungry Crabs at all times, despite me constantly dusting them. I think I'm up to 4 of the buggers now.

Overall, I'd say you get slightly fewer cards from an Adventure, but you are guaranteed to get two of everything, guaranteed to get multiple Legendaries...etc. etc. It's a great way to get a core base of cards to build from.

ChaosOS
2015-12-09, 01:13 PM
Face Hunter minus Mad Scientists is reasonably good but you really sacrifice your aggro matchups because Scientist pulling Explosive trap is brutal versus most other aggro decks. Quick Shot and Haunted Creeper are pretty good but replaceable.

Tempo Mage really really wants Flamewakers, but otherwise even the Mad Scientists are replaceable (I'm currently running a Tempo Mage without the secret package instead using Spellslingers and a Poly: Boar)

Control Priest doesn't even really run Dark Cultist in my experience, Dark Cultist feels more like a Dragon Priest card at this point. If it wasn't for Control Priest being surprisingly expensive I'd really recommend it (Although the new Excavated Evil and Entomb both feel really good in it).

I feel like a lot of decks just generally want Naxx and the few that don't like BRM.

EDIT: IF you want a really high skill cap deck Oil Rogue I'm pretty sure barely uses adventure cards

Lunix Vandal
2015-12-09, 09:56 PM
EDIT: IF you want a really high skill cap deck Oil Rogue I'm pretty sure barely uses adventure cardsYeah, TempoStorm's most recent Oil Rogue netdeck (https://tempostorm.com/hearthstone/decks/oil-rogue-meta-snapshot-40) uses only one adventure card -- Loatheb, who can probably be subbed out for a second Shredder or Healbot. The Bloodmage Thalnos can similarly be dropped for either a Kobold or a Loot Hoarder, depending on whether you value the card-draw Deathrattle or the +1 Spell Damage more. BGH can be dropped in favor of Earthen Ring Farseer if you aren't seeing targets. The two Preparations are must-have, however. Everything else is Rare or below, and no TGT cards are involved at all.

Zevox
2015-12-09, 10:08 PM
So, I have just acquired enough dust to craft a legendary, but am unsure which one to make. So, looking for opinions. What I already have (not counting adventure legends or Gelbin Mekkatorque, though I have all of them anyway):
Mage: Archmage Antonidas
Paladin: Tirion Fordring
Priest: Vol'jin
Rogue: Trade Prince Gallywix
Warlock: Lord Jaraxxus, Mal'ganis
Warrior: Grommash Hellscream, Varian Wrynn

Neutral: Bloodmage Thalnos
Harrison Jones
Cairne Bloodhoof
Justicar Trueheart
Sylvanas Windrunner
The Black Knight
Chillmaw
Doctor Boom
Ragnaros the Firelord
Sneed's Old Shredder
Alexstraza
Malygos
Onyxia
Ysera
The four I'm mainly considering are Cenarius (yes I still play Druid with no combo), Confessor Paletress (seems good, but not sure if I could fit her into my Dragon Priest), Baron Geddon (the one Control Warrior legend I still lack, though it's hardly essential), and Rhonin (because I like Mage). With some small consideration to Edwin Van Cleef because I still want to experiment with Rogue decks, and he could help there.

ChaosOS
2015-12-10, 12:55 AM
Yeah, TempoStorm's most recent Oil Rogue netdeck (https://tempostorm.com/hearthstone/decks/oil-rogue-meta-snapshot-40) uses only one adventure card -- Loatheb, who can probably be subbed out for a second Shredder or Healbot. The Bloodmage Thalnos can similarly be dropped for either a Kobold or a Loot Hoarder, depending on whether you value the card-draw Deathrattle or the +1 Spell Damage more. BGH can be dropped in favor of Earthen Ring Farseer if you aren't seeing targets. The two Preparations are must-have, however. Everything else is Rare or below, and no TGT cards are involved at all.

Loatheb for Piloted Shredder, Bloodmage Thalnos for another Healbot, BGH for Earthen Ring Farseer. Improves your aggro matchup and should drop cost considerably. Thalnos can't really be replaced by loot hoarder or Kobold as the cycle+spell power is uniquely powerful.

GAAD
2015-12-10, 01:01 AM
So, I have just acquired enough dust to craft a legendary, but am unsure which one to make. So, looking for opinions. What I already have (not counting adventure legends or Gelbin Mekkatorque, though I have all of them anyway):

Harrison Jones
Cairne Bloodhoof
Justicar Trueheart
Sylvanas Windrunner
The Black Knight
Chillmaw
Doctor Boom
Ragnaros the Firelord
Sneed's Old Shredder
Alexstraza
Malygos
Onyxia
Ysera
The four I'm mainly considering are Cenarius (yes I still play Druid with no combo), Confessor Paletress (seems good, but not sure if I could fit her into my Dragon Priest), Baron Geddon (the one Control Warrior legend I still lack, though it's hardly essential), and Rhonin (because I like Mage). With some small consideration to Edwin Van Cleef because I still want to experiment with Rogue decks, and he could help there.
Well, the obvious answer is Millhouse Manastorm. How do you not have him yet?
And if for some reason you don't want him, Tinkmaster Overspark works fantastically as a replacement.
Although I've seen some experimentation with Lorewalker Cho...

Gandariel
2015-12-10, 02:19 AM

Harrison Jones
Cairne Bloodhoof
Justicar Trueheart
Sylvanas Windrunner
The Black Knight
Chillmaw
Doctor Boom
Ragnaros the Firelord
Sneed's Old Shredder
Alexstraza
Malygos
Onyxia
Ysera

Well the obvious one you're missing is Leeroy. It fits very well in aggro decks
/sarcasm

On a serious note, the last I crafted was Gormok the Impaler for my flood deck. And it is actually pretty great!

I genuinely had a ton of fun playing that deck, and I advise it to you.
And hey, maybe Gormok can be good in Paladin too?

Of the four you've mentioned, I probably suggest Geddon, because he's good and useful.

Edwin is cool, but I've dropped him from my Rogue list, so I wouldn't craft him right now.

Sholos
2015-12-10, 04:15 AM
Crossroads Brawl is back. The RNGiest of the RNG Brawls, I think. No strategy, just hope that you've got some good cards. Managed to win a few games, but don't think I'll play it much. I liked last week's level of RNG where your actions had some sort of impact but you weren't punished for not having a huge collection.

otakuryoga
2015-12-10, 05:48 AM
yep..got my one win and that's it for brawling this week

Mystic Muse
2015-12-10, 08:56 AM
I got the "Win 5 brawls" quest.

I wasn't particularly happy, as you might imagine. :smallannoyed:

I don't mind the brawls where you don't build your own deck, but I hate the ones that are this swingy.

EDIT: Gah, no, screw this brawl, I'm not doing it. I've lost three times, one where the person topdecked EXACTLY what they needed to kill me, and no matter what I play,t hey just straight up out quality me. It's a complete waste of time, and even though it'll do nothing, I'm going to email Blizzard to tell them EXACTLY why this brawl is awful.

Haruspex_Pariah
2015-12-10, 10:16 AM
Huh. I got two packs today and each contained a golden card. Is that a feature of the Winterveil thing or mere coincidence.

About the Tavern Brawl, hmm. I appreciate the ability to just drop in and have a lark with randomly generated randomness, and the free pack after 1 win is always handy, but this one seems kind of...uninspired. Pick a class, now here's a random deck. That's it? When compared to what came before, where we became Ragnaros/Nefarian, where we drafted cards on the fly, and other crazy things, this one just seems dull.

moossabi
2015-12-10, 10:25 AM
Huh. I got two packs today and each contained a golden card. Is that a feature of the Winterveil thing or mere coincidence.

About the Tavern Brawl, hmm. I appreciate the ability to just drop in and have a lark with randomly generated randomness, and the free pack after 1 win is always handy, but this one seems kind of...uninspired. Pick a class, now here's a random deck. That's it? When compared to what came before, where we became Ragnaros/Nefarian, where we drafted cards on the fly, and other crazy things, this one just seems dull.

This one was actually one of the first few brawls to be implemented. I'd say that Randomonium is better be cause of the altered costs, but I haven't played this one yet. I actually like this kind of brawl, as it allows for easy completion of quests for classes that you don't have any good decks for.

Chen
2015-12-10, 10:26 AM
I got the "Win 5 brawls" quest.

I wasn't particularly happy, as you might imagine. :smallannoyed:

I don't mind the brawls where you don't build your own deck, but I hate the ones that are this swingy.

EDIT: Gah, no, screw this brawl, I'm not doing it. I've lost three times, one where the person topdecked EXACTLY what they needed to kill me, and no matter what I play,t hey just straight up out quality me. It's a complete waste of time, and even though it'll do nothing, I'm going to email Blizzard to tell them EXACTLY why this brawl is awful.

I suspect it's actually one of the more popular brawls considering they repeat it so often. I imagine they look at the number of people playing them over the brawl timespan. I think this is the one that's been repeated the most actually.

Haruspex_Pariah
2015-12-10, 10:35 AM
This one was actually one of the first few brawls to be implemented. I'd say that Randomonium is better be cause of the altered costs, but I haven't played this one yet. I actually like this kind of brawl, as it allows for easy completion of quests for classes that you don't have any good decks for.

That's interesting. I started about a month ago, so I imagine that I missed a lot of those earlier brawls. Repeating them puts less pressure to develop new ones from scratch I suppose.

You just know that one day they're going to design a brawl that has an unknown interaction with an obscure card to completely crash Hearthstone. :smalltongue:

GolemsVoice
2015-12-10, 10:44 AM
I like these Brawls because I can just drop in and have some fun, make a quick pack. However, this one is VERY random. Have a Mechwarper and no Mechs, have Alexstrasza's Champion and no Dragons, and so on.

Rodin
2015-12-10, 12:54 PM

I'd say it really depends on what class you get, and the quality of cards you get for that class. I got Warlock for my daily, and figured I'd just Brawl it up.

First hand (after mulliganing a hand that did not dip below 5 mana): 1x Reliquary Seeker, 2x Felguard, 1x Demonfuse. So I can play a 1/1 for 1...or destroy my mana crystals...or give my opponent mana crystals.

Yaaaaaay.

The draws didn't improve much in subsequent games, and after 6 straight losses I just went into ranked and Renolocked the wins instead.

The Glyphstone
2015-12-10, 01:02 PM
I actually lost a Brawl to a Reno play - that went off, to boot. Now that is RNG.

Anxe
2015-12-10, 01:40 PM
Yeah, as uninspired as this Brawl is I probably played it more than any of the others except the Nefarian/Ragnaros style ones.

I think they do this one as an easy repeat because a lot of people like it and because coming up with and coding a new idea every week is probably too much for them to do.

Landis963
2015-12-10, 03:01 PM
Last wave of the adventure just showed up. Skelesaurus and Sentinel aren't much to write home about (actually, that's not quite fair, the Sentinel fight's got a pretty interesting wrinkle) but Rafaam. OMG Rafaam.

He TAKES your DECK! Outright moves it from your slot to his! You need to fight one of your decks (and like an idiot, I went into the fight thinking "hurr durr aggro paladin beats everything durr") with a deck that one of the explorers threw together for a tournament ages ago and hadn't updated since. It has wisps in it. That's how bad it is.

Actually, in retrospect, that particular twist shouldn't have been as surprising as it was.

EDIT: I'm having a bit of trouble with that one, actually. Any pointers?

Anxe
2015-12-10, 03:16 PM
Last wave of the adventure just showed up. Skelesaurus and Sentinel aren't much to write home about (actually, that's not quite fair, the Sentinel fight's got a pretty interesting wrinkle) but Rafaam. OMG Rafaam.

He TAKES your DECK! Outright moves it from your slot to his! You need to fight one of your decks (and like an idiot, I went into the fight thinking "hurr durr aggro paladin beats everything durr") with a deck that one of the explorers threw together for a tournament ages ago and hadn't updated since. It has wisps in it. That's how bad it is.

Actually, in retrospect, that particular twist shouldn't have been as surprising as it was.

Yeah, it is foreshadowed a little bit when you're choosing your deck. I thought he would have a different deck that counters whatever class you pick, but it turned out so much better. I was using a Shaman Battlecry deck and the AI was just clueless as to how to use it. Easily won.

Togath
2015-12-10, 04:55 PM
From what I've seen, he has trouble knowing how to use mill decks, or you could try what I did, and build as bad of a deck as you can(along with any many bad rares as possible, and Finly).

Landis963
2015-12-10, 05:22 PM
Yeah, it is foreshadowed a little bit when you're choosing your deck. I thought he would have a different deck that counters whatever class you pick, but it turned out so much better. I was using a Shaman Battlecry deck and the AI was just clueless as to how to use it. Easily won.

My brother won with a Hat hunter deck. I'm also thinking of making a mill rogue for him to use.

Rodin
2015-12-10, 07:08 PM
Got some awesome accidental comedy in the final round of the adventure:

I'm getting ready to finish him off the next time the staff powers down, and Rafaam has exactly 7 HP remaining. When the staff goes down, he plays that minion that re-rolls every minion on the board. And what does my Ysera turn into?

Rafaam.

I got to make Rafaam murder himself!

Zevox
2015-12-10, 07:26 PM

The deck you're given seems to contain a lot of anti-secret tech - Ke'zan Mystics and Flare at the very least. Perhaps you give him a Mage deck with secrets (but no Scientists, obviously) to take advantage of that? I just kind of won by getting lucky with my regular Paladin, honestly. I didn't want to delete a deck just to make a bad one to give him.

The Glyphstone
2015-12-10, 07:35 PM
I just made a knuckledragger deck of the worst cards i had.

Fun fact: If you give him Magma Rager and he plays it, he has special dialogue complaining about how terrible it is.

Ok this isn't funny. The deck you get is the most garbage thing I've ever seen, and I build Rafaam a deck with no minion over 1 health and 0-mana taunts. He is killing me with his free Portal minions alone, because the Explorers have never heard of 'removal' or 'don't use 2x Ancient Shades+2x Eeerie Statue".

Landis963
2015-12-10, 09:39 PM
Ok this isn't funny. The deck you get is the most garbage thing I've ever seen, and I build Rafaam a deck with no minion over 1 health and 0-mana taunts. He is killing me with his free Portal minions alone, because the Explorers have never heard of 'removal' or 'don't use 2x Ancient Shades+2x Eeerie Statue".

I figured it'd be something like that. I mean the only way to make that matchup harder is to nerf your deck. And it was already nerfed to h**l the first time.

Anyway, That'll be fun to tackle when I get around to it. Any good ideas for Heroic Scarvash that don't involve Doomsayer?

Rodin
2015-12-10, 11:37 PM
While I don't know if this will work on Heroic, it proved successful for me on Normal...

Give him Majordomo Executus. If you can survive long enough, he'll eventually drop his HP down to 8 for you - and if you didn't provide him any Taunts, he won't have any reliable way to protect himself. As long as you have 8 damage on the board when he does so, BOOM!

The other thing to do is to fill his deck with Rares, then go for the weapon early. You get loads of damage on the Spear, and it helps when you have to get the 8 damage at the end.

Rosstin
2015-12-10, 11:45 PM
Loving "Trogg Aggro Shaman" right now

Destro_Yersul
2015-12-11, 01:50 AM
Heroic Science:
Funny enough, the devilsaur was really easy to kill with Hunter. Pack Flares and Kezan Mystic and go face. Maybe I got lucky, but I managed to kill him before his hero power got him anything I couldn't deal with.

Armour guy: Easy mode. Play paladin and flood the board with guys. Avenging Wrath and Equality are really good in this matchup, as is Knife Juggler.

Rafaam: Took a few tries. I managed it with priest, eventually. Load the deck with rares, play the weapon early. Alarm-o-bot is actually really funny, because it usually gets him something bad, and it triggers the weapon every time he plays it. I don't know if he'll play Shadowform, but I can confirm he WILL NOT play Finley Mrrglton.

EDIT: using Burgle or the like on Rafaam gets you coins.

Togath
2015-12-11, 02:43 AM
Even if he doesn't play it, Finly does still act as a dead card for him, which is sorta good.
Are things like the "cannot attack" cards good to give him too? What about Ancient Shade?

Managed to beat him with this deck, though it could probably be improved.
Aim was to give him as many bad/dead cards as possible. No weapons, so weapon boosting cards are dead unless he gets a Blingtron, and he likes to play eerie statues onto full boards.
http://img.prntscr.com/img?url=http://i.imgur.com/urMtivi.png

Destro_Yersul
2015-12-11, 03:33 AM
Rafaam
Stuff that can't attack is great to give him. Ancient Shade... not so much. A 7/4 is something you have to actually deal with on top of his portal minions.

Finally got Rafaam Form 2 with Priest. Stole all his big stuff, eventually he ran out of answers.

Gandariel
2015-12-11, 03:45 AM
So, my words are being eaten more.

Listened reynad talking about Elise Starseeker and how she's actually great, and now I do agree with him.
Dammit.

Motivations:
the effect is unblockable.
It's inevitable
It's a win condition that only requires one card.
You can run 29 removal spells and one Elise.

gomipile
2015-12-11, 03:50 AM
I actually lost a Brawl to a Reno play - that went off, to boot. Now that is RNG.

That's a hell of a thing.

Also, thank you to the forum members who accepted my friend invites. It's good to be able to clear out the "Watch and Learn" quest within a day or two.

Destro_Yersul
2015-12-11, 04:22 AM
So, my words are being eaten more.

Listened reynad talking about Elise Starseeker and how she's actually great, and now I do agree with him.
Dammit.

Motivations:
the effect is unblockable.
It's inevitable
It's a win condition that only requires one card.
You can run 29 removal spells and one Elise.

I think it's better to view Elise as interesting, potentially great, but probably too slow unless the meta becomes less aggro. I intend to try her out, in any case.

Additional Science:
In Razaam 2, Lady Naz'jar does NOT hit the other adventure boss cards.

ChaosOS
2015-12-11, 04:31 AM
Elise feels good in Priest to me, you can devote the majority of the deck to anti-aggro and she'll carry you in the control matchup. Random legendaries are pretty good even if you wouldn't normally give them the deck slot as a lot of them are just big dumb bodies.

Wraith
2015-12-11, 04:58 AM
Rafaam
Stuff that can't attack is great to give him. Ancient Shade... not so much. A 7/4 is something you have to actually deal with on top of his portal minions.

Possibly they were thinking of Ancient Watcher - Rafaam doesn't have any silence unless you give him some, so it's another couple of dead cards.

That's how I won - playing Mage, I filled his deck with Ancient Watchers, Nerubian Eggs and similar stuff that I could avoid until he had filled up his board with nothing bigger than 1/2, at which point I ignored it and just went face with whatever I had to hand. Anything that wasn't a dead card was a 1/1, which got ping'd until it became something useless, and it went great. :smallbiggrin:

TechnoWarforged
2015-12-11, 06:04 AM
As expected the Wing Wings are pretty hard, even for normal I had to net decked some of the stuff.

Skelesaurus Hex: Normal is easy for me. I used the Raptor Rogue deck to catch up on value and beat him.

The Steel Sentinel: It's pretty annoying even on normal. Ended up using Paladin to make dudes. Avenging Wrath, Knife Juggler, Muster for Battle helps. I could see Tempo Mage working here too

Arch-Thief Rafaam: Seriously didn't expect him to steal your deck. Just make a crapy deck and give it to him. Ancient Watcher, Watchmen, Target dummy works. Also the AI seem to favour casting the garbage cards you gave him then using his hero power so Alarmbot works because he keep using Alarmbot and won't hero power better minions. Coldlight Oracle and Jeeves helps as well.

Rafaam Unleashed: Beat it. Netdecked a deathrattle focus deck to get a lot of value.

Heroics: So far only lucked out with Rafaam(1). Gave him a similar deck filled with rares and mulligan for a weapon that gives you +1/+1 for each rare he summons. It's still a heck of a fight because somehow he unstable portaled an Argent defender on a eerie statue. In the end thou I got my weapon to 10/8 and start going face for the win.

Heroic The Steel Sentinel: the popular netdeck suggested the warlock 1/1 that respawns. Makes sense but I don't have that card... a pally equality repetence deck also works but requires a lot of RNG. I think you still need Alex and deathwing to win... but I don't have either cards sadly. I think hard removals like Emperor Cobra would work wonders in this boss as well.

Legoshrimp
2015-12-11, 06:11 AM
Hmm I could see some aggro decks running Elise. She isn't that bad as just a 4 drop, and if the game goes on it could really help close out games.

Actually the more I think about it, I think it might only be good in decks that are early game focused. There are a lot of bad legendaries so I think that a lot of decks either will not want to use it because they are combo or control decks. Where for control, the card quality will most likely go down.

Gandariel
2015-12-11, 06:31 AM
No, aggro decks can't use her.
Simply because they don't ever see turn 15+.

It has to be a fatigue focused, antiaggro / control deck.

Sian
2015-12-11, 07:39 AM
Elise seems that it would do acceptable in a Reno Warrior for recycling the card draw you end up not using.

Legoshrimp
2015-12-11, 07:44 AM
No, aggro decks can't use her.
Simply because they don't ever see turn 15+.

It has to be a fatigue focused, antiaggro / control deck.

It doesn't seem very helpful in control decks or antiaggro. In antiaggro it will never see play vs aggro(At least assuming your statement about aggro using it is true) And vs non aggro the deck will probably just lose.

Although yeah in aggro it seems unlikely to actually be useful, just because how many turns it is likely to take to see it. Since you need to draw 3 cards in order.

Also in fatigue focused decks how would it be helpful? They tend to really rely on their mechanics to force card draw//add cards into their deck.

I guess I might be ignoring a bit that you do control when you play it. But a deck that's win condition is fatigue will either have so few cards its unlikely to change much, or won't want to use it because they still have important combo cards. I think the main thing she brings to fatigue is the +1 card in the deck.

Edit:
Yeah, thinking about it more it isn't really bad, but it seems its use cases are very specific to what classes can make use of it AND only for match ups that don't involve anything that doesn't go to fatigue.

Anxe
2015-12-11, 10:31 AM
Average chances of Golden Monkey

You draw Elise as the 15th or 16th card in your deck on average. Play her right away. Map is put in your deck.
There are 15-16 cards left in your deck (Map got put in increasing count by 1). On average you draw Map as the 7th or 8th card after playing Elise. Play Map right away. Golden Monkey goes in deck.
There are about 8 cards left in your deck (Golden Monkey increased count as well). On average you draw Golden Monkey as the 4th or 5th card after playing the Map. Play Golden Monkey right away.
Bottom 3 or 4 cards of your deck turn into Legendaries.

OOOORRRR If you're playing Rogue you can add more cards to your deck with Gangup and increase the number of Legendaries created a little bit.

CarpeGuitarrem
2015-12-11, 11:21 AM
Average chances of Golden Monkey

You draw Elise as the 15th or 16th card in your deck on average. Play her right away. Map is put in your deck.
Is that accounting for mulligans and extra card draw?

Chen
2015-12-11, 11:28 AM
Is that accounting for mulligans and extra card draw?

Extra card draw is somewhat irrelevant, since it's talking about what rank it is in terms of the cards in your deck. I would imagine mulligan would let you skew it to be appear earlier though, but only if you keep it in your mulliganed hand. It's not an even distribution though. You'd reduce the average spot in the deck, but the discrete chances would still either be: in opening hand or not. If it's not in the opening hand, then you're back to considering it somewhere in the middle of the deck basically.

CarpeGuitarrem
2015-12-11, 12:08 PM
I also had it pointed out that Shadowstep and Pandarens can bounce even more Maps into your deck, which means you draw it earlier AND have more cards in your deck. So mix in Gang Up to use on Elise, and maybe that's a really cool thing. Sir Mrrglton to mulligan for Armor Up or Life Tap or Lesser Heal?

Also, don't forget that your hand becomes Legendaries, so you get an extra few Legendaries along with your deck Legendaries.

Rosstin
2015-12-11, 12:37 PM
Ha ha... Elise so crazy. I have a hard time imagining her being good but we'll see.

Chen
2015-12-11, 12:38 PM
The problem is a lot of legendaries kinda suck. Building it as a late game win condition, sure. But tailoring your deck around is still going to be a pretty big crapshoot even if everything becomes a legendary.

The Glyphstone
2015-12-11, 02:12 PM
Heroic Rafaam 1 caved to the rare-spam Pally netdeck with Rare Spear.

I lucked out amazingly with Heroic Rafaam Rematch; his first free monster was Skelasaurus Hex, who gave him a 0-cost LORD JARAXXUS that he played immediately, shutting off his hero power immunity. Tempo Mage shredded him after that.

Heroic Skelasaurus and Heroic Sentinel are immensely difficult though, I have no idea how to handle either of them without Alex/Deathwing.

CarpeGuitarrem
2015-12-11, 03:27 PM
The problem is a lot of legendaries kinda suck. Building it as a late game win condition, sure. But tailoring your deck around is still going to be a pretty big crapshoot even if everything becomes a legendary.
I assume the main point of the deck is to get into a topdecking situation, which brings up the question: what are the odds that you get a decent-to-good topdeck? May have to run those numbers.

So, here's a list to work from... (http://www.hearthpwn.com/cards?display=1&filter-premium=1&filter-rarity=32)

Well. That's a LOT of cards. Wonder how the mana costs break down.

10 mana: two cards
9 mana: sixteen cards
8 mana: ten cards
7 mana: fifteen cards
6 mana: twenty cards
5 mana: thirteen cards
4 mana: four cards
3 mana: six cards
2 mana: four cards
1 mana: one card

That's 43 cards which are 7 mana or more, 48 cards which are 6 mana or less. If we include 6 mana in the "expensive" category, that's 63 cards that are 6 mana or more, 28 that are 5 mana or less. Now, the big thing is that the 6-mana legendaries are the bulk of the "ehhhh" legendaries. So maybe it's better to split them out separately. 43 that are 7+ mana cost (because most of those are pretty good), 20 that are ehhhh 6-mana cost, and 28 that are not terribly useful for the most part, although Lorewalker Cho is actually very useful since you don't have any spells in your deck anymore.

Once I get the last wing, I think I'll try a gimmick Rogue Elise deck.

EDIT: interesting legendaries for Starseeker...

Varian Wrynn: your deck is nothing but minions; his battlecry will always give you 3 more minions on the board
Anub'Arak: in the Topdeck Wars, having a big minion that recurs to your hand is really really good, in case you draw a low-cost minion on a future turn
Aviana: lets you play a bunch of big minions next turn
Mal'Ganis: really nice stall card while you put more big minions on the field, though lacking in synergy
Nefarian: now you can have spells again!
Chromaggus: more minions for you!
Kel'Thuzad: normally very good, now he'll draw heavy fire or else resurrect your field of expensive cards
Tirion Fordring: provides you with another source of removal or direct face damage if you need it
Thaurissan: makes it even easier to play multiple minions on the board
Iron Juggernaut: acts as a potential finishing blow
Reno Jackson: not guaranteed to trigger, but still a pretty safe bet, given how many legendaries there are
Skeleton Knight: see Anub'Arak; also, you're highly likely to win the Joust, given the odds of 6+ cost minions
Saraad: another way to get spells
Lorewalker Cho: since you probably don't have spells, you're going to probably get at least one removal spell (the one they cast to remove Cho)
Mrrgglton: get a hero power to help you survive through the rest of the game; also, 1 mana, so you can play Finley + a 9-mana legendary

Mystic Muse
2015-12-11, 03:40 PM
The one opponent I played outright LOST because they played it, and their deck was subsequently barren of any sort of removal, so I had plenty of time to kill them with a board they couldn't appreciably interact with.

The Glyphstone
2015-12-11, 03:47 PM
Brawled vs. a mage who plays 4 copies of Rhonin, without Duplicate or Echo. Wat.

CarpeGuitarrem
2015-12-11, 04:05 PM
Brawled vs. a mage who plays 4 copies of Rhonin, without Duplicate or Echo. Wat.
Reminds me of the time this Brawl I got double Palutress. Of course, they were a Mage with Antonidas, so I died.

Rodin
2015-12-11, 05:08 PM
Reminds me of the time this Brawl I got double Palutress. Of course, they were a Mage with Antonidas, so I died.

I got back-to-back Paletress in a match earlier today. My opponent amazingly managed to deal with both and the summoned Legendaries, but burned their entire hand to do so.

When I followed that up with Ysera, they surrendered. Can't blame them, either.

Landis963
2015-12-11, 05:16 PM

I lucked out amazingly with Heroic Rafaam Rematch; his first free monster was Skelasaurus Hex, who gave him a 0-cost LORD JARAXXUS that he played immediately, shutting off his hero power immunity. Tempo Mage shredded him after that.

Heroic Skelasaurus and Heroic Sentinel are immensely difficult though, I have no idea how to handle either of them without Alex/Deathwing.

He doesn't shut those down immediately a la Heroic Loatheb KelThuzad, right?

The Glyphstone
2015-12-11, 06:39 PM
He might shut down Alex, I don't know.

Destro_Yersul
2015-12-11, 08:16 PM

Hunter and Paladin respectively. For skelesaurus, you just have to try and kill him ASAP before he gets too much value. Hunter's Mark is very helpful, and Flare + Mystic can deal with his secrets.

For Sentinel, don't worry about anything that does more than one damage at a time: what you want is things that do lots of damage, 1 at a time. Avenging Wrath, muster for battle, knife juggler, equality... Consecration is good. Mad Bombers might be good, but I didn't use them. Annoy-o-tron is good, argent squire is good. Justicar Trueheart is probably good, if you have her. Just flood the board repeatedly and be strategic with your taunts.

The one opponent I played outright LOST because they played it, and their deck was subsequently barren of any sort of removal, so I had plenty of time to kill them with a board they couldn't appreciably interact with.

I ran into someone playing Elise today. They died the turn they played it, because I had board control.

The Glyphstone
2015-12-11, 08:58 PM
I tried doing Facehunter, but his 45 effective health was just too much to burn through before he got out super-good stuff.

Destro_Yersul
2015-12-11, 09:32 PM
yeah, you want to try a more midrangy bent, with Savannah Highmane and stuff like that. Also, Dart Trap is actually pretty good, since his hero power is on autocast.

TechnoWarforged
2015-12-12, 12:10 AM
Hi guys!

Heroic Sentinel: Netdecked http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/391820-loe-heroic-steel-sentinel

I cut a tournament medic and warden for two emperor Cobras. Cut a healbot for Kel'Thuzad. Still took me two tries.

I think if he has weapon but he got max health plus armor you shouldn't use the ooze. He usually just go face anyways. Save the Ooze when you desperately need it. Max value is when you have Kel'thuzad on board with knife juggler... you sac all your creatures and when they respawn at the end of turn the knife also starts throwing. Another option is the Kel'Thuzad abuse with taunt.

I've also seen Freeze Mage OTK with echo Sorceress. There's no Rope in adventure so you can spam fireball to your heart's content with Antondias until he does.

Heroic Skelasaurus is annoying but I also netdecked it

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/391898-loe-heroic-skelesaurus

Basically freeze mage with animated Armor. It's another Ai abuse because this Ai always attack face (but will use spells to get rid of your Animated Armor) You freeze and have duplicate/mirror entity up and just kill him.

I think Rafaam 2 is toughest because of RNG. At one point I had a 28/28 Deathlord up but then Rafaam summoned Lady Naz’jar and poof went all my buffs :( Another time he got another 10/10 that made all my cards cost two more. I had BGH in hand but just don't have the mana to kill him.

I went about it with Priest... entomb and Mind Control whatever he summoned later, and BGH, SW;D whatever that comes first if possible. Summoning Stones and Deathlord is just another win condition but it all helped in my single win.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd228/lonewanderer666/Hearthstone%20Screenshot%2012-11-15%2023.47.28_zpsjuqogotx.png

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd228/lonewanderer666/Hearthstone%20Screenshot%2012-12-15%2000.04.45_zpsih0ukzi0.png

I also tried running miracle Rogue today with Elise... but I suck at miracle and killed myself when I had lethal. Elise is good, but it's complicated because if the monkey comes out too late then it's pretty much pointless. It is a card made for Control Warriors thou.

Haruspex_Pariah
2015-12-12, 02:22 AM
Came into some holiday money, so I decided to get Curse of Naxxramas.

Done with Arachnid and Plague Quarter on Normal. Loatheb was particularly infuriating, but once you get a read of their cards and hero powers it's not so bad. Playing around Poison Seeds and Spores seemed to be the key.

Kel'thuzad's random banter is also pretty funny.

ChaosOS
2015-12-12, 03:05 AM
After a day of playing with Elise in fatigue priest, I think the biggest risk is getting out-tempoed. I've consistently ended up with a hand of 6, 7, and 8 mana legendaries, and assuming your opponent has any pressure you can end up in a pretty big risk of fatigue because you end up with only 1 or two big swings per turn. Still though a very good card, but monkey is by no means an instant win.

Mystic Muse
2015-12-12, 05:25 AM
Well, I know it's going to be about as good as my Murloc deck, but I decided to finally craft Captain Greenskin, so that I can actually build a pirate deck soon. Only missing a few things, other than Skycap'n Kragg who is awful regardless.

TechnoWarforged
2015-12-12, 12:03 PM
Arena today and accepted a friend request after I beat this guy.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd228/lonewanderer666/Hearthstone%20Screenshot%2012-12-15%2011.08.59_zpspfv4yw19.png

I got my first Hearthstone BM ever! So proud lolz.

moossabi
2015-12-12, 04:58 PM
Came into some holiday money, so I decided to get Curse of Naxxramas.

Done with Arachnid and Plague Quarter on Normal. Loatheb was particularly infuriating, but once you get a read of their cards and hero powers it's not so bad. Playing around Poison Seeds and Spores seemed to be the key.

Kel'thuzad's random banter is also pretty funny.

For Loatheb, I just used my multiplayer swarm deck and hit a spore when I had as many minions as I could available.

For Raz, just use a bunch of buffs on the 0/7s and then faceless manipulator the strongest one. Add in some additional taunts, and he's really easy to kill.

For Patchwerk, taunts and freezes all the way. If you can get a decent opening, he's not too big of a problem. That's as far I've gotten.

In other news, I unpacked Tirion from the brawl pack. That means that I now have four legendaries (Maexxna, Loatheb, Rivendare, and as of yesterday Tirion).

Wraith
2015-12-12, 07:58 PM
I got my first Hearthstone BM ever! So proud lolz.

Congrats? :smalltongue::smallbiggrin:

Were I in your position, I wouldn't hesitate for a second in utterly ruining his day by reporting him for abuse and getting his account suspended. Some people just can't be helped, but take those folks out of the genepool and the rest of us tend to be eternally grateful. :smallwink:

Anxe
2015-12-12, 09:11 PM
Congrats? :smalltongue::smallbiggrin:

Were I in your position, I wouldn't hesitate for a second in utterly ruining his day by reporting him for abuse and getting his account suspended. Some people just can't be helped, but take those folks out of the genepool and the rest of us tend to be eternally grateful. :smallwink:

I'm unsure how much that does for Blizzard games. Even their mvp members on their forums are pretty rude sometimes.

Rosstin
2015-12-13, 02:16 AM
Sadly, yeah. But no harm in reporting it.

People are such twerps. Wah, I lost at this game. So what? Jeez. Hearthstone especially... this is like one of the least competitive multiplayer games ever. You play your best and you either win or you don't.

Haruspex_Pariah
2015-12-13, 05:31 AM
One of the reasons I stuck to Hearthstone over all the other free to play games on offer is how low pressure it is.

It's only as stressful as your own goals dictate. You want to be the best in your region, win 12 Arena games, or just hit 20 each month, only you will know or care.

TechnoWarforged
2015-12-13, 08:05 AM
There's two reasons why I won't report this guy:

1. I've been a customer of Blizzard for over a decade... starting with Diablo 2, then WoW, and Starcraft. Even if I reported this guy Blizzard won't do anything about it because screenshots can be doctored. Also there's probably a million people like him playing Blizzard's game every day and Blizzard would have go to through a lot of Chat logs everyday to ban a significant portion of their player's base

2. I've also heard worst... and after so many years of Playing WoW and Sc2 you kinda get immune to the salt. Like I said if you picture the other guy being a 13 year old and saying this stuff in real life, it'll sound very funny! :smallbiggrin::smallwink:

Landis963
2015-12-13, 09:45 AM
Even if I reported this guy Blizzard won't do anything about it because screenshots can be doctored. Also there's probably a million people like him playing Blizzard's game every day and Blizzard would have go to through a lot of Chat logs everyday to ban a significant portion of their player's base.

They can corroborate your report, though, can't they? If you include the date and both party's usernames, they'd be able to find the right timestamp and see the offending message. Of course, if they cared to.

EDIT: Besides, even if it doesn't help, it certainly won't hurt.

Haruspex_Pariah
2015-12-13, 09:48 AM
There's two reasons why I won't report this guy:

1. I've been a customer of Blizzard for over a decade... starting with Diablo 2, then WoW, and Starcraft. Even if I reported this guy Blizzard won't do anything about it because screenshots can be doctored. Also there's probably a million people like him playing Blizzard's game every day and Blizzard would have go to through a lot of Chat logs everyday to ban a significant portion of their player's base

2. I've also heard worst... and after so many years of Playing WoW and Sc2 you kinda get immune to the salt. Like I said if you picture the other guy being a 13 year old and saying this stuff in real life, it'll sound very funny! :smallbiggrin::smallwink:

That's the problem with FTP games in general I think. Massive potential player base with massive potential turnover, makes community standards a nightmare to uphold even if they wanted to. The fact that communication requires the additional step of making friends (ironically in these cases) and you can unfriend them equally quick is probably enough for Blizzard's standards.

I had a game of LOL where we got hassled by our own team-mate, in a Normal (i.e. unranked) game, after we won. The BM in Hearthstone is unfortunate, but the limited communication and the fact that it's a 1v1 game mitigate it somewhat. I wonder if the limited communication was a conscious decision to cut back on trolls, or simply a technical(?) limitation.

Now that I'm on a computer instead of my phone and can actually read the screenshot, I have to agree with you. I can't even tell what your opponent is trying to say.

Gandariel
2015-12-13, 10:06 AM
AND i'm pretty convinced you're making too much of a big deal about this.

You can Squelch and Not accept a friend request, and you'll just simply not ever have interaction with people.

And frankly, i believe i've accepted all the friend requests i've ever gotten, and i've been insulted maybe 2-3 times, over a year and a half.
Many more times it's just been friendly banter or reciprocal deck suggestions

AgentPaper
2015-12-13, 10:28 AM
I wonder if the limited communication was a conscious decision to cut back on trolls, or simply a technical(?) limitation.

Absolutely a conscious decision, I think they've even outright stated it a few times in the past.

TechnoWarforged
2015-12-13, 11:25 AM
AND i'm pretty convinced you're making too much of a big deal about this.

You can Squelch and Not accept a friend request, and you'll just simply not ever have interaction with people.

And frankly, i believe i've accepted all the friend requests i've ever gotten, and i've been insulted maybe 2-3 times, over a year and a half.
Many more times it's just been friendly banter or reciprocal deck suggestions

Sorry If I sound like I'm whinning, but it's absolutely not the case.

I just found the BM funny and wanted to share. To be honest I was reading a thread on Reddit about how people don't accept friend request anymore because of BM, which is sad because some Redditors honestly wanted to talk about their opponent's deck because they found it interesting, or wanted to ask about decisions made in the game, or what card they had in their hand, etc.

I didn't Squelch the guy and that's the only and last message he sent me. He probably unfriended me or blocked me afterwards anyways. The drawback of Blizzard's kiddie gloving us with emotes is that Hearthstone lacks player's interaction, which is kinda sad :(

Wraith
2015-12-13, 12:04 PM
That.... greatly disappoints me that a company as big as Blizzard has little to no interest in upholding their own Code of Conduct.

I know it's easy enough to squash a friend invite or something, but I really shouldn't have to - Microsoft is quick enough to ban XBox accounts for the same sort of activity, and their userbase is certainly no smaller than Hearthstone's, with significant amounts of free content too. Especially since, as in Technowarforged's case, the guy deliberately and actively logged the username, the number, made the invite and waited for it to be accepted in order to intentionally be rude. That's not casual BM, it's actively vindictive and there shouldn't be any place for that in any game.

Having said that, I'm the one who is advocating ruining his day by taking his imaginary cards away from him just for one typed sentence, so perhaps I'm not the one to be talking about reasonable responses... :smalltongue: I stand by the sentiment though - if you can't learn to play nice with strangers on your own then it should be taught, one way or the other.

Zevox
2015-12-13, 12:12 PM
Okay, I've only played that new Shaman aggro deck a few times, and I already despise it with a burning passion. I'd rather the class have stayed dead than turn into another blind face deck class. :smallsigh:

To be honest I was reading a thread on Reddit about how people don't accept friend request anymore because of BM, which is sad because some Redditors honestly wanted to talk about their opponent's deck because they found it interesting, or wanted to ask about decisions made in the game, or what card they had in their hand, etc.
I've actually never accepted friend requests from anyone I don't know from this forum, just because I don't want to deal with that sort of thing. Every online game gets those kinds of people, and competitive ones tend to bring out the worst in people sometimes.

Tokay
2015-12-13, 03:38 PM
So I just fought the same guy twice in a row in casual mode. Same name, same class, same opening card even. What are the actual odds of that happening? I suppose you are both queueing up for a new match at about the same time but still, with a player base as large as hearthstones it has to be pretty rare.

Fleeing Coward
2015-12-13, 04:11 PM
Not sure about casual but playing the same person twice in a row happens pretty regularly at the high end of ranked and arena.

Rodin
2015-12-13, 07:52 PM
I think my new favorite deck is the "Anyfin Can Happen" deck. Play mid-range Paladin with a smattering of Murlocs (specifically, 2x Warleader, 2x Grimscale Oracle, 2x Bluegill Warrior, 1x Murkeye), then on turn 10 one-shot them by playing Anyfin and dealing 20 damage to their face with buffed charging Murlocs.

CarpeGuitarrem
2015-12-13, 09:43 PM
I think my new favorite deck is the "Anyfin Can Happen" deck. Play mid-range Paladin with a smattering of Murlocs (specifically, 2x Warleader, 2x Grimscale Oracle, 2x Bluegill Warrior, 1x Murkeye), then on turn 10 one-shot them by playing Anyfin and dealing 20 damage to their face with buffed charging Murlocs.
Enjoy it before Blizzard nerfs it into oblivion. :smalltongue:

Destro_Yersul
2015-12-13, 09:49 PM
I somehow doubt it's good enough to warrant nerfing. It's ultimately an 8-card combo that can't go off til turn 10, and is broken almost completely by either opposing murlocs dying, or nonstandard methods of murloc death like Polymorph/Hex.

ChaosOS
2015-12-13, 09:56 PM
I think Anyfin can Happen combo is a viable deck but unlikely to need nerfs, if you apply pressure it's generally worse than standard paladin. The main benefit of the combo is sometimes you luck out and get a strong murloc curve, or up against control priest or a taunt-less handlock. Control warrior, if it saves its brawls, should be able to survive the burst through its armor gain (Although that's not guaranteed).

Mando Knight
2015-12-13, 09:56 PM
I somehow doubt it's good enough to warrant nerfing. It's ultimately an 8-card combo that can't go off til turn 10, and is broken almost completely by either opposing murlocs dying, or nonstandard methods of murloc death like Polymorph/Hex.

You can also block it with Belcher or Annoy-o-Tron, anything other than a completely empty board on the Paladin's part risks messing up the combo as well, and Counterspell completely destroys Anyfin... which means the Paladin has to delay the OTK by a turn (giving up valuable tempo again) to test traps or otherwise risk losing the combo entirely (and some Anyfin decks run it as a one-of).

Destro_Yersul
2015-12-13, 09:58 PM
Plus it does 30 damage exactly, so Control Warrior and Freeze Mage wreck it.

Sholos
2015-12-13, 10:16 PM
Just sent out friend requests to the entire NA list earlier today. I figure I'll eventually get that one quest and if nothing else it's good to have people on my list.

As for the Anyfin Paladin, Day9 made a deck based around it, using Sir Finley and two copies. Seemed to do pretty decently with it, admittedly at lower ranks. Probably not competitive, but it looks fun to play.

Rodin
2015-12-14, 12:43 AM
One thing I like about it is that you aren't utterly dependent on the full combo to win. A turn 10 Anyfin with only 4 Murlocs dead still works out as "discover 4 minions and put them into play", and since you know which 4 it can still work very well as fast removal + board presence. And if you have both Anyfins in hand, you can do so deliberately - use the first one to clear the board and force your opponent to deal with all the cards you dropped on the board, then immediately follow with another that is twice as powerful.

It does get pretty wrecked by face decks though. I've seen some variants that basically run masses of removal with lots of healing and card draw, with the hope that they can control the opponent long enough to get the OTK out.

Chen
2015-12-14, 08:01 AM
I'm not sure its worth putting all those murlocs in for the one shot kill. 2 warleaders + old murk-eye is not terrible in terms of card value to begin with. Then you just throw a mid-range paladin shell around it with 2 anyfins. The first anyfin is still two 5/4s and an 8/6 charger. The second anyfin results in 4 9/6s and 2 15/8 chargers.

Xiander
2015-12-14, 10:25 AM
I'm not sure its worth putting all those murlocs in for the one shot kill. 2 warleaders + old murk-eye is not terrible in terms of card value to begin with. Then you just throw a mid-range paladin shell around it with 2 anyfins. The first anyfin is still two 5/4s and an 8/6 charger. The second anyfin results in 4 9/6s and 2 15/8 chargers.

Does murlock knight not fit in this deck?

Sholos
2015-12-14, 10:37 AM
Ironically, no. Because he summons random murlocs and the strength of Anyfin is being able to control what comes back.

CarpeGuitarrem
2015-12-14, 12:22 PM
Yes, but it's still an OTK, and we know how Blizz feels about those. :smalltongue:

ChaosOS
2015-12-14, 01:54 PM
Raging Worgen Warrior OTK has lived on quite a while, as have the various charge minion+buffs+faceless OTKs

Avaris
2015-12-14, 01:56 PM
Figure I play enough to get added to the list (and I need to spectate to complete a quest): Avaris#2378 on EU

Anxe
2015-12-14, 06:06 PM
Raging Worgen Warrior OTK has lived on quite a while, as have the various charge minion+buffs+faceless OTKs

Emperor Thaurrisan makes all those decks even better. It doesn't help much for the Murloc one.

I think the difference is that the Murloc OTK deck doesn't require anything on the board and only one card in your hand. You still get complete mileage out of all those Murloc cards before unleashing the OTK. The other OTK decks can't say the same.

Destro_Yersul
2015-12-14, 07:32 PM
Yes, but it's still an OTK, and we know how Blizz feels about those. :smalltongue:

The ones that dominate ladder, anyways. :smalltongue:

Emperor Thaurrisan makes all those decks even better. It doesn't help much for the Murloc one.

I think the difference is that the Murloc OTK deck doesn't require anything on the board and only one card in your hand. You still get complete mileage out of all those Murloc cards before unleashing the OTK. The other OTK decks can't say the same.

You do still have to draw the murlocs, though. You only need one card in hand on ten mana, but you have to have played seven cards to get the OTK. It's an 8-card combo in disguise!

I've not run into it yet, but I main midrange paladin, so I'm running 2x murloc knight. Even one activation of that can steal a ton of damage from the combo, since it doesn't count just your murlocs.

Mando Knight
2015-12-14, 08:59 PM
I've not run into it yet, but I main midrange paladin, so I'm running 2x murloc knight. Even one activation of that can steal a ton of damage from the combo, since it doesn't count just your murlocs.

If nothing else, the Tinyfin + Hungry Crab combo would be a hilarious anti-Anyfin-OTK tech.

Togath
2015-12-14, 09:13 PM
So Murlocadin is a bit funky...
How is Murloc Shaman though?
Everyfin seems a lot more reliable than Anyfin, since at worst, it's still +2/+2 to all of your stuff(and Tidehunter or any 1 mana murloc can be placed during the same turn as it, while Babyfin actively reduces it's cost)

Mystic Muse
2015-12-14, 09:18 PM
I'm not sure about Tinyfin, since it's basically just a slightly better wisp, and Wisp SUCKS.

I don't have it though, so I can't say.

Togath
2015-12-14, 09:43 PM
"murloc" does add some benefits. It reduces the cost of Everyfin by 1, and it can get buffed by the buff-murlocs.

Mando Knight
2015-12-14, 10:24 PM
Yeah, the thing about Tinyfin is less that it's a 0-mana 1/1 and more that it's a 0-mana Murloc. Alone, it's a bad card. With a Warleader, it's a 3/2. Hungry Crab can eat it to become a 3/4.

It's a bad card on its own, but it can pose a threat when used in a Murloc deck.

Togath
2015-12-15, 12:33 AM
Battled Hircine, ended up with 2 wins, and 1 loss.

Anxe
2015-12-15, 02:32 AM
I can say with confidence that Anyfin was an amazing catch from my Spellslinger in Arena. Doesn't matter if it costs 7, it's amazing in that format.

ShinyRocks
2015-12-15, 03:41 AM
I've been running some Murloc Shaman. You're still reliant on it all coming together and good draw, but Tinyfin and Everyfin make it even more snowbally if it gets going. It's not too difficult to get a 2, 1 or 0 mana 'give all your minions +2/2', which is crazy.

Crackle, Rockbiter and Stormforged Axe are important - you want to clear without using your Murlocs for a bit until you can get them all buffed and exciting.

Sir Finley's good as well because Mage (help clearing), Warlock (better draw), Priest (save your Murlocs!) and Paladin (free dudes to help with clearing/get an Everyfin buff) are probably all more useful than the shammy hero power.

Haruspex_Pariah
2015-12-15, 04:39 AM
After dusting Thermaplugg a little over a week ago, I get my third Legendary out of a pack.

It's Nozdormu.

Ugh. His power is weird to begin with, and the only strategy I see involving him has to do with exploiting animation length (and apparently that's been hotfixed too).

Might be useful against players who drag their feet, but is that really worth a card slot.

Anyone know a deck or strategy that uses Nozdormu well, or is he just another bag of 400 dust.

Gandariel
2015-12-15, 06:12 AM
Battled Hircine, ended up with 2 wins, and 1 loss.

Then you are the official champion of our first Challenge stone tournament! !!!!

Congrats :)

Also, sorry if I kind of let the tournament go a little, I've had some stuff to do.

So, I apologise for my organisation, and I hope we can do this again soon :D

Zevox
2015-12-15, 06:49 AM
After dusting Thermaplugg a little over a week ago, I get my third Legendary out of a pack.

It's Nozdormu.

Ugh. His power is weird to begin with, and the only strategy I see involving him has to do with exploiting animation length (and apparently that's been hotfixed too).

Might be useful against players who drag their feet, but is that really worth a card slot.

Anyone know a deck or strategy that uses Nozdormu well, or is he just another bag of 400 dust.
Unless you're the type who wants him just for collecting's sake, he's 400 dust.

Destro_Yersul
2015-12-15, 07:09 AM
If you ever go pro, Nozdormu hard-counters Trump.

Gandariel
2015-12-15, 07:26 AM
If you ever go pro, Nozdormu hard-counters Trump Lifecoach.

There, corrected

Posca
2015-12-15, 08:22 AM
hey everybody, I have just started playing hearthstone again and noticed there is a good community in my favorite site to stalk in. My battlenet ID is Mazura#2636 and I play on EU servers, you can add me to first post.

Now I must confess I feel a little lost. I have most of the original basic and rares and 1 wing of Naxx and thats not enough to go very high in ranked apparently. I used to mostly play arena but even there I seem to be very rusty. I was generally getting 5-6 wins at worst, often getting 10 or more wins but now, 3-4 is hat I get mostly. I now it will improve with time as I learn new cards and get off the rust but still not encouraging.

What I wanted to ask was, can you recommend a deck which doesn't use much of the adventure cards and doesn't cost too much dust(have around 3000 right now) to get my feet wet again? I especially like Shaman, Paladin and Warlocks. I used to have a zoolock but it seems outdated now with all the new cards.

Gandariel
2015-12-15, 09:29 AM
Midrange Pally doesn't need many new or adventure-locked things, so I'd go with that.

Zoo can work well, the only thing you're missing is the (admittedly great) Imp Gang Boss.

Other cheap and good decks:

Mech mage (you're gonna miss out on Mad Scientist, but heh)
Face Hunter
Control priest (Circle,Northshire,Auchenai,Blademaster,Pyromancer ,Cabal, and whatever you have)

Also. You got 5-6 wins at WORST? I don't think even pros get that. I consider myself pretty good at Arena, and my average is a little over 5

Posca
2015-12-15, 10:57 AM
Midrange Pally doesn't need many new or adventure-locked things, so I'd go with that.

Zoo can work well, the only thing you're missing is the (admittedly great) Imp Gang Boss.

Other cheap and good decks:

Mech mage (you're gonna miss out on Mad Scientist, but heh)
Face Hunter
Control priest (Circle,Northshire,Auchenai,Blademaster,Pyromancer ,Cabal, and whatever you have)

Also. You got 5-6 wins at WORST? I don't think even pros get that. I consider myself pretty good at Arena, and my average is a little over 5

Well, its been around a year since I played last, I may be remembering my performance with rose tinted glasses maybe :) I was certainly much better than 2-3 streak I have going on right now.

From the decks you mentioned, Mech Mage seems interesting though I have to get all the GvG cards from zero.
Zoo is always fun, especially Mal'Ganis seems like a fun legendary to get for that.
I always seem to get bored with midrange pally decks, I will stil try it though.

That brings me to my other question, if I decide to spend some cash at the game, what would be best bang for my buck? Buying decks seems to random as they may only become dust in the end. I'm thinking Blackrock right now.

Chen
2015-12-15, 11:03 AM
Buying adventures with real money is the best bang for your buck. The single player encounters are fun in and of themselves and you get a good number of cards ranging from useless (Stoneskin gargoyal) to exceedingly valuable (Mad Scientist, Sludge Belcher, Emperor Thaurissan etc).

I'd go Naxx -> Blackrock -> League if you were going to get them all. Naxx has some strong staples that fit in many decks. Blackrock is good for dragon decks (Priest notably) and for Emperor and Grim Patron. League is still new but has some promising cards in it, Reno, Anyfin etc.

Sian
2015-12-15, 11:45 AM
Reno in and of himself, makes control decks viable and puts the question to hyperaggessive decks, as they might well end up lacking punching power to kill someone. He might well be the single most game changing card around at the moment

Gandariel
2015-12-15, 11:55 AM
Get Naxx first. Full stop. Mad Scientist, Sludge belcher, Death's bite, Dark Cultist, and so many more.

Then.
Blackrock wing 1 gets you some great cards, like Emperor Thaurissan (really good in many decks), Quick Shot (pretty strong) and Grim Patron (center of a powerful Warrior deck) and is absolutely worth the gold / cash.

Blackrock wings 2 through 5 give you a few nice cards (mainly Flamewaker and Imp Gang Boss) and a lot of essential cards for Dragon decks (the most important is arguably Blackwing Corruptor).

LoE gives you a LOT of usable-to-great cards, all throughout. This adventure has only 4 wings and gives something like twice as many cards as the other adventures.

So, personally, i'd get Naxx first.
Then Blackrock 1.
Then LoE
Then the rest of Blackrock.

Chen
2015-12-15, 12:38 PM
Reno in and of himself, makes control decks viable and puts the question to hyperaggessive decks, as they might well end up lacking punching power to kill someone. He might well be the single most game changing card around at the moment

There are some decks that can use him, but the all singleton ones where he actually makes a difference vs agro aren't as strong or consistent as others. He works in some existing control decks (can work in Fatigue warrior) but I'm seeing far less Reno decks around now that a few weeks have passed. The most viable control decks were viable before Reno and probably don't use him now anyways.

Togath
2015-12-15, 12:41 PM
The challenge decks I ended up using;
Uses summoning stone+spell power(I also had no mana wyrms when I made it)
http://i.imgur.com/rcQ0oAd.png

Uses summoning stone, weblords, and card stealing
http://i.imgur.com/Ep7wlit.png

ChaosOS
2015-12-15, 05:40 PM
There are some decks that can use him, but the all singleton ones where he actually makes a difference vs agro aren't as strong or consistent as others. He works in some existing control decks (can work in Fatigue warrior) but I'm seeing far less Reno decks around now that a few weeks have passed. The most viable control decks were viable before Reno and probably don't use him now anyways.

RenoLock I think was the ultimate winner there, as Warlock not only has multiple redundant spells (Hellfire/Demonwrath for example) but also is capable of going through its deck very quickly with Life Tap. Plus, reno completely negates the cost of early life taps when he comes down.

Anarion
2015-12-15, 05:44 PM

RenoLock I think was the ultimate winner there, as Warlock not only has multiple redundant spells (Hellfire/Demonwrath for example) but also is capable of going through its deck very quickly with Life Tap. Plus, reno completely negates the cost of early life taps when he comes down.

ChaosOS shares my experience. Every warlock I've faced in the past several days that has gone late has played a Reno.

ChaosOS
2015-12-15, 06:16 PM
I think Noxious was right when he said that traditional HandLock is dead, you should either be playing the Reno Highlander version or Demon Handlock with Mal'Ganis popping out of voidcallers.

Anxe
2015-12-15, 07:32 PM
I still play it. Traditional Handlock is still good. Is it better than the new version? Definitely not. It's just less expensive.
The new version throws in a few legendaries that weren't in the original. It's even more cost prohibitive for a lot of people than the original deck.

Joran
2015-12-16, 02:44 AM
Well, its been around a year since I played last, I may be remembering my performance with rose tinted glasses maybe :) I was certainly much better than 2-3 streak I have going on right now.

From the decks you mentioned, Mech Mage seems interesting though I have to get all the GvG cards from zero.
Zoo is always fun, especially Mal'Ganis seems like a fun legendary to get for that.
I always seem to get bored with midrange pally decks, I will stil try it though.

That brings me to my other question, if I decide to spend some cash at the game, what would be best bang for my buck? Buying decks seems to random as they may only become dust in the end. I'm thinking Blackrock right now.

As everyone mentioned before, buying the Adventures is the best move if you're going to spend money. Your gold can be used to buy GvG packs, since there's a lot more staples there than in TGT.

Zoo's good. It doesn't require many non-classic cards and you got most of them in Naxx Wing 1. The key card you're missing is Imp-losion, but otherwise, you could probably make a pretty decent aggro Zoo deck. For the meta Midrange Zoo, you need a few more cards like Voidcaller, Mal'ganis, Dr. Boom, Imp Gang Boss, and Dark Peddler.

Haruspex_Pariah
2015-12-16, 04:36 AM
Finally hit Rank 15 with my newly-crafted Sylvanas. I didn't draw Reincarnate that game, but Ancestral Spirit works just as well. You kill Sylvanas, she steals your minion and then comes back for another round.

Gandariel
2015-12-16, 04:46 AM
Finally hit Rank 15 with my newly-crafted Sylvanas. I didn't draw Reincarnate that game, but Ancestral Spirit works just as well. You kill Sylvanas, she steals your minion and then comes back for another round.

Ha! Toldya she's good :D

Tokay
2015-12-16, 06:45 AM
Entombing Sylvanas is my new favourite thing to do in Hearthstone. And then playing the entombed one alongside my own.

Also, priest is now my favourite class.

Thialfi
2015-12-16, 09:37 AM
Entombing Sylvanas is my new favourite thing to do in Hearthstone. And then playing the entombed one alongside my own.

Also, priest is now my favourite class.

Mage is still my favorite but I'm liking my priest deck as well. Entomb is a wonderful card and the early results with the museum curator are rather encouraging.

I still use dragon priest as my base and I'm basically running at least a 36 card deck with two curators, entomb, Ysera, and Nefarian.

Rodin
2015-12-16, 10:47 AM
Mage is still my favorite but I'm liking my priest deck as well. Entomb is a wonderful card and the early results with the museum curator are rather encouraging.

I still use dragon priest as my base and I'm basically running at least a 36 card deck with two curators, entomb, Ysera, and Nefarian.

How do you fit Curator in? I love what I've seen of the dude from Arena but there's not a lot I can take out from my Dragon Priest without wrecking some of the synergy.

From my current Arena run:

Echoing Ooze + Velen's Chosen + PW: Shield + Inner Fire.

THE DREAM.

Thialfi
2015-12-16, 11:27 AM
My Dragon Priest

Power Word: Shield x2
Northshire Cleric x2
Twilight Whelp x2
Meseum Curator x2
Wyrmrest Agent x2
Shadow Word: Death x2
Velen's Chosen x2
Brann Bronzebeard
Eydis Darkbane
Twilight Guardian x2
Holy Nova x2
Azure Drake x2
Blackwing Corruptor x2
Entomb
Cabal Shadow Priest
Sylvanas Windrunner
Confessor Paletress
Nefarian
Ysera

Tokay
2015-12-16, 11:55 AM
How do you fit Curator in? I love what I've seen of the dude from Arena but there's not a lot I can take out from my Dragon Priest without wrecking some of the synergy.

From my current Arena run:

Echoing Ooze + Velen's Chosen + PW: Shield + Inner Fire.

THE DREAM.

Shrinkmeisters would be the obvious candidates, assuming you have them. You lose the synergy with the shadow priests, but in my (limited) experience that didn't come up that much anyway and when it comes to helping your minions stay alive your hero power basically does the same thing as the shrinkmeister.

Haruspex_Pariah
2015-12-16, 12:55 PM
The bad news is we get no card pack for the first win. I don't really value card backs all that highly, since my attention is mostly on the game itself, but sure why not.

The Brawl itself is crazy fun. You can play it real Grinch-like by destroying the boxes on your side, or even buffing them to make it harder for the enemy to destroy. The mana discounts on the Discovered cards are literally game-changing. Because my opponent was pretty dedicated about breaking boxes before I realized just how powerful they were, he ended up with a generally stronger board. I had to bypass his defenses with Iron Juggernauts, wipe the board with 0-mana Brawls, return his minions to hand with snowballs, and hit his face with Fire Elementals. For his part he played so many Earth Elementals I got tired of seeing them*

*I was Shaman and he was Warrior; I'm not entirely sure, but I think the boxes on your enemy's side contain cards of your class and vice versa.

The Glyphstone
2015-12-16, 02:03 PM
Boxes on your side contain your cards, boxes on their side contain theirs. So if you are a Shaman, any box you smash gives the current player a Shaman card.

MacGiolla
2015-12-16, 03:20 PM
Haven't played the brawl yet but it seems like Priest will be the way to go.
Must use cards:
Confuse,
Soulpriest/Circle,
Crazed alchemist,
Doomsayer.

For those not aware the boxes are 0/4 minions that give you cards based on whose side of the board they are on.

Hamste
2015-12-16, 03:36 PM
Must use cards:
Confuse,
Soulpriest/Circle,
Crazed alchemist,
Doomsayer.

For those not aware the boxes are 0/4 minions that give you cards based on whose side of the board they are on.

Warlock is so good as well with twisting nether, void terror, power overwhelming and void crusher. Those are just the warlock only cards of course crazed alchemist and doom sayer are pretty good in it as well.

The Glyphstone
2015-12-16, 03:55 PM
And pray that you get paired up against a Mage, because landing Antonidas in a gift-box is basically game over. I played modified Tempo Mage, and wasn't above nuking my own boxes on a semi-regular basis - got Anty several times and he won me the game every play.

Posca
2015-12-16, 04:28 PM
Must use cards:
Confuse,
Soulpriest/Circle,
Crazed alchemist,
Doomsayer.

Priest worked out best for me also. Especially with how much gifts love giving velen and velen+soulpriest+hero power making it super easy to starve opponent from gifts.

Warlock and mage would be my other alternatives, lock being the better one with his ability to sacrifice own minions.

And it doesn't matter which side they are on, it matters on whose turn they die actually. Just a minor correction. If they die on your turn, you get the gift.

ChaosOS
2015-12-16, 04:37 PM
So I just pulled a Millhouse Manastorm. Dust or no? He seems to be actually viable every once in a few brawls, so I'm not sure.

Hamste
2015-12-16, 04:38 PM
Priest worked out best for me also. Especially with how much gifts love giving velen and velen+soulpriest+hero power making it super easy to starve opponent from gifts.

Warlock and mage would be my other alternatives, lock being the better one with his ability to sacrifice own minions.

And it doesn't matter which side they are on, it matters on whose turn they die actually. Just a minor correction. If they die on your turn, you get the gift.

What they meant is if you are a priest fighting a warlock and kill the warlocks box the gift will be based off the warlock card pool I believe and if you kill your own box you get one from the priest pool...or vice versa (I can never remember how exactly it went despite playing this brawl a fair bit).