PDA

View Full Version : Destroyed gate?

Emperor Ing
2007-06-08, 05:12 AM
I found a bunch of loopholes...HELP ME!!

1st, the gate was already damaged by Miko slaying Shojo, so why was it necessary to slash it again?
2nd, Is the 'gate' really the throne itself? Because otherwise, the oracle was wrong that the next gate that Xykon would come within 1000 ft of is not the azure city gate, unless the Azure City gate is Garridan's Gate (I spelled it wrong didnt i?)
3rd, Wouldnt destroying a gate just make it easier for whatever its blocking (the snarl in this case) to get out? I mean you can pick the lock, or you could smash it down, or "destroy the gate".
4th, how did (on crap im gonna say it!) Miko know to, 'damage' the throne when she was in prison all this time? Is the telepathic or something like that?

Im curious as to these plot loops, so some1 plz help

yay its not a miko thread! (somewhat)

Rhyeira
2007-06-08, 05:21 AM
The gate is not the throne, just the tiny hole sealed by the sapphire on the throne.
And since Miko didn't damage the sapphire when she killed Shojo, the gate wasn't damaged either.

In fact, Hinjo explained that quite clearly in No. 411.

And of course the oracle wasn't wrong - Roy explicitly asked if Xykon would first be near Girard's Gate or Kraagor's Gate, leaving out the possibility that it could be Azure City's Gate... perhaps you should re-read No. 331, it's all in there.

RMS Oceanic
2007-06-08, 05:23 AM

1st, the gate was already damaged by Miko slaying Shojo, so why was it necessary to slash it again?
The throne is not the gate. Only the Sapphire Embedded in the Throne (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0411.html) is the gate, and it was not touched in Miko's attack.

2nd, Is the 'gate' really the throne itself? Because otherwise, the oracle was wrong that the next gate that Xykon would come within 1000 ft of is not the azure city gate, unless the Azure City gate is Garridan's Gate (I spelled it wrong didnt i?)
Roy gave the Oracle a very specific choice: between Girard's Gate and Kraagor's Gate, which one would Xykon arrive at first? My asking it like that, he eliminated Azure City as a target, so the Oracle couldn't tell him if Xykon would get near Azure City.

3rd, Wouldnt destroying a gate just make it easier for whatever its blocking (the snarl in this case) to get out? I mean you can pick the lock, or you could smash it down, or "destroy the gate".
Um, yeah. That's kind of why the good guys don't want the gates destroyed.

4th, how did (on crap im gonna say it!) Miko know to, 'damage' the throne when she was in prison all this time? Is the telepathic or something like that?

We don't know how her reasoning works exactly. Hopefully she'll explain it in the next strip. We can only assume that she saw O-Chul, a trusted paladin, hindered from destroying the gate, so she assumed that must be the right thing to do.

Rhyeira
2007-06-08, 05:35 AM
It seems quite likely that she could have figured out by herself that the right thing to do would be to destroy the gate before it could fall into Xykon's hands... after all, others have figured it out, too, like the girl in No. 448.

Snake-Aes
2007-06-08, 06:47 AM
The gate itself is just the sapphire in that blue circle in the throne, and this is the first time someone damages that fraction of the throne. Roy worded his question in a way that Azure City couldn't be the answer, so the oracle said the exact answer: Next OOTS Trip is to Girard's gate, in a desert.

Miko, and the whole sapphire guard, swore an oath to protect the gate, alongside with regular paladin comandments, it's rather obvious that they should know WHAT they're defending(or not, in Miko's case).

And yes, destroying the gates mean the holes they guard are open again, thus allowing the snarl to affect the surroundings(that's how Soon's mate died, snarl clawed through a rift in a forest). Some people react to it as if destroying the gate equals to end of the world: NO, it DOES NOT happen like that. Or else the snarl would have undone creation AGAIN.

Oh cool i'm a barbarian now

TheOtherMC
2007-06-08, 08:04 AM
Wow...thats some hardcore ninja action you guys have there...

Lavidor
2007-06-08, 10:40 AM

Im curious as to these plot loops, so some1 plz help

yay its not a miko thread! (somewhat)

1st: The Sapphire is the gate, not the throne
2nd: If you'd look you'd see Roy doesn't include Azure in his question, there is even a joke about it.
3rd: Yes, thats obvious.
4th: She didn't have to destroy it, she made a dumb judgement.