PDA

View Full Version : Few new Feats

Umarth
2007-06-08, 12:20 PM
Three new feat ideas to make mental ability scores more useful in combat and reworks of two feats I'd posted before.

These first three feats need some work on explaining them in a clearer fashion and if anyone has some recommendations I'd appreciate it.

Confidant Strike [General, Fighter]
Your mental dominance of reality allows you to reduce the randomness of combat.
Benefit: You may take 11 on an attack roll rather than rolling a d20. You may use this ability once every 5 minus your charisma modifier rounds. So if your charisma modifier is 3 you would be able to take 11 on an attack roll once every 2 rounds. You may not use this ability more than once a round.

Battle Endurance [General, Fighter]
Fights are less taxing to you than to others.
Prerequisites: Endurance
Benefit: Every round you convert the first two times your wisdom modifier damage you take into non lethal damage. If your wisdom modifier where +3 then the first 6 points of damage you take every round is converted into non lethal damage.

Intelligent Shot [General, Fighter]
You are very good at figuring out exactly when and how to fire your bow at distant targets.
Prerequisites: Far Shot
Benefit: You ignore the range penalties for a number of range increments equal to your intelligence modifier +1 though you take normal penalties for any ranged attacks further away. For example an archer with a +3 intelligence modifier would ignore the range penalties for the first four range increments (normal penalties 0, -2, -4, -6 all reduced to 0) though any shots at further range increments suffer the normal penalties (-8 for the 5th range increment)

Modifications to two feats I already had.

Original:
Lucky Strike [General]
You know that lucky people can make their own luck. By focusing your will you’re somewhat able to reshape reality.
Prerequisites: Cha 13, BAB +1
Benefit: As a Swift Action, you apply your cha modifier to your next and damage roll that round. After that attack you suffer -2 penalty to your charisma score for 4 hours.

Revised:
Lucky Strike [General, Fighter]
You know that lucky people can make their own luck. By focusing your will you’re somewhat able to reshape reality.
Prerequisites: BAB +1
Benefit: As a Swift Action, you apply your cha modifier to your next attack roll. In addition you deal an extra 1d6 damage per point of your cha modifier. After that attack or 1 minute has passed you suffer -2 penalty to your charisma score for 4 hours. For example if you had a +3 cha modifier your next attack would be at +3 and you would deal an extra 3d6 points of damage.

Original:
Improved Lucky Strike [General]
Through long practice you’ve gotten even better at imposing your will in a fight.
Prerequisites: Cha 15, BAB +6
Benefit: As a Swift Action, you apply half your cha modifier, rounded down, to all your attack and damage rolls until your next turn. At the start of your next turn you suffer -2 penalty to your charisma score for 4 hours.

Revised:
Improved Lucky Strike [General, Fighter]
Through long practice you’ve gotten even better at imposing your will in a fight.
Prerequisites: BAB +6, Lucky Strike
Benefit: As a Swift Action, you apply your cha modifier to all your attack rolls until your next turn. You also deal an extra 1d6 points of damage on all attacks made until your next turn per point of your cha modifier. At the start of your next turn you suffer -2 penalty to your charisma score for 4 hours.

magic8BALL
2007-06-08, 06:33 PM
These feats are ok, but Confident Strike is definatly my favourite. I love the idea of this feat. Now it means something to have a force of personality on the battle field (other than Feinting...)

Just a few erks with it, as it seems a little under powered.

Why take 11? I can see that you want consistancy, hence not rolling, but 11? Thats a strange number. Taking 10 is the normal thing to do, but if you want something better than that, 11 is not the way to go. (The mean result of a roll of 1d20 is 10.5, so 11 is just as 'average' as 11)

Here areare some sugestions:
1: You may take 15 on a single attack roll.
Or
2: You may take 10 on a single attack roll, and add your Charisma modifier to the result.

and for the timing,

A: (just a re-wording, I think) You must wait (5-Cha modifier, minimum 1) rounds before you can do this again. (If you have a cha mod of +4 or higher, you can do it every round)
Or
B: You must foucs to gain confidence. This takes a move equivilent action, and last a number of rounds equal to your Charisma modifier. During this time you may expend your confidence to make a conifdent strike.

Umarth
2007-06-09, 09:42 AM
Confidant Strike [General, Fighter]
Your mental dominance of reality allows you to reduce the randomness of combat.
Benefit: You may take 11 on an attack roll rather than rolling a d20. You may use this ability once every (5 - charisma modifier) rounds (minimum of 1). If you wish you may use your charisma modifier rather than your strength modifier when making this attack.

This is losely based off the Aura of Perfect Order (level 6 crusader ability) from the book of nine swords which allows you to take an 11 on any d20 roll.

I'd suspect allowing you to take 15 or 10+cha modifier is a bit over powered. I did change it a little bit so that you can use your charisma rather than strength modifier for the attack.

I also decided to scrap Lucky Strike and change improved lucky strike to Arrogant Strike:

Arrogant Strike [General]
While you may not use your force of will to create fire or lightning from your finger tips that makes you no less dangerous.
Prerequisites: Cha 13, BAB +1
Benefit: As a Swift Action, you apply your cha modifier to all your attack rolls until your next turn. You also deal an extra 1d6 points of damage on all attacks made until your next turn per point of your cha modifier. At the start of your next turn you suffer -2 penalty to your charisma score for 4 hours

Closet_Skeleton
2007-06-09, 12:47 PM
Battle Endurance is too powerful. It's like getting DR 8/-, but it works against energy as well and you'll only get knocked out if you were going to die anyway.

Umarth
2007-06-11, 02:59 PM
I'd agree battle endurance may be unbalanced for your standard d20 game.

That one was actually designed for my homebrew low magic world.

For a normal d20 game I'd recommend having it be just wisdom modifer rather than 2x wis modifier.

Matthew
2007-06-15, 06:36 PM
I think the Lucky Strike Feats are a bit on the odd side. I cannot say that the Feats are overpowered particularly, but I guess it does strike me as odd that a Character with 30 Charisma would be able to do an extra 10D6 Damage, followed by 9D6, 8D6, 7D6, etc... with virtually no conditions or repurcussions attached.