PDA

View Full Version : Did they have to make this movie?

Steve_the_ERB
2007-06-08, 01:08 PM
I know everything old is new again, and heaven forbid anyone in Hollywood have an original idea, but this time I think they've gone too far. A great american classic cartoon reduced to a cheesy live-action movie.

I'm not speaking of a bird, a plane, or even frog
but of your friend and mine, Underdog!

Saw the trailer yesterday when I went to see Pirates. So trailer one was Trasnformers followed by Underdog and which point I commented, "throw in a G.I. Joe movie and we'll corrupt 80% of my childhood right there".

Anything to try and wring an additional dollar out of people.

Dib
2007-06-08, 01:44 PM
I've... heard of underdog... I think? :smallconfused: what is it?

Flying Elephant
2007-06-08, 01:54 PM
"Have no fear! Underdog is here!" I think it's about a dog superhero who is kind of unlucky... It was all before I was born.

Lemur
2007-06-08, 02:02 PM
I thought they already made a G.I. Joe movie, only it never made it to theaters or something.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-06-08, 02:45 PM
In a way, every hollywood action flick is G.I. Joe the movie.

Just with more people dying.

Then again, I only know G.I. Joe from the "knowing is half the battle" OotS strip.

Nightmarenny
2007-06-08, 03:45 PM
I know everything old is new again, and heaven forbid anyone in Hollywood have an original idea, but this time I think they've gone too far. A great american classic cartoon reduced to a cheesy live-action movie.

I'm not speaking of a bird, a plane, or even frog
but of your friend and mine, Underdog!

Saw the trailer yesterday when I went to see Pirates. So trailer one was Trasnformers followed by Underdog and which point I commented, "throw in a G.I. Joe movie and we'll corrupt 80% of my childhood right there".

Anything to try and wring an additional dollar out of people.
This post as I read it.

Hello Im a pretencious forum-goer who automatically assumes everyone thinks how I do. A show I watched as a kid and assume it was a huge global phenomonon is about to be turned into a movie. As I see through only rose-colored glasses when looking into the past, and automatically think any adaption thatis made in the present sucks weather it does or not, or if Ive even seen it or not im upset.

I thus assume both Transformers and Underdog will be a disaster dispite not seeing enough of either to make such an assumtion. Also as a grown adult I take personal offense to this as I feel that sinse I watched them as a kid I own these products and watching anything now wont seem as good as when I watched them as a dumb easilly amused child(They all are).

Also I believe Capitalism is wrong and people shouldn't be allowed to make new thing for the kids of today because it might not be the same as what I had.

Seriously man chill out. This will be a cheesy little comedy, just like the TV show was. And if you childhood survived Energon it will the surivive the Transformers movie. Its looking very good.

Om
2007-06-08, 04:37 PM
I thought they already made a G.I. Joe movie, only it never made it to theaters or something.That was G.I. Jane and, unfortunately, it made it to the theatres :smallwink:

Nightmarenny
2007-06-08, 04:44 PM
That was G.I. Jane and, unfortunately, it made it to the theatres :smallwink:

There was a GI joes cartoon movie.

Dr._Weird
2007-06-08, 05:20 PM
This post as I read it.

Seriously man chill out. This will be a cheesy little comedy, just like the TV show was. And if you childhood survived Energon it will the surivive the Transformers movie. Its looking very good.

QFT. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Steve_the_ERB
2007-06-11, 09:01 AM
[QUOTE=Nightmarenny;2713889]This post as I read it.

Assumptions follow...

[QUOTE]

Thank you for assuming how I think. I have failed to convey I was more bemused rather than actually insulted at the making of an Underdog movie. It was more a comment on how far back Hollywood will go in recycling old ideas. I will not see Underdog because I simply don't have the time or inclination for cheesy comidies, not because it shatters my rose colored glasses.

But this brings up perhaps a valid question, does the Underdog name add or detract to the appeal of the movie? What if it was just another generic superhero dog movie?

blade_runner
2007-06-11, 09:09 AM
Well, I do think that it is going a little too far. It might not be so bad, but making it "live action"? Anyway, I saw the show on early morning cable, so I can say that it was funny, in a juvenile sort of way.

There were about two G.I. Joe movies made. They were CG animated, and showed on Cartoon Network about 2 years ago, right about the same time as the Hotwheels TV show (When these things came out, I was the right age to watch them).

ravenkith
2007-06-11, 10:02 AM
Let's face it: hollywood is getting pretty desperate for ideas lately.

They've already made every single Shakespeare play into a teen drama...

Reissued movies based around comic book phenomena (Yes, I liked some of them, but it isn't 'original' by any means).

...and completely co-opted anything resembling a possibly 'hot' property from the 80s, with a few notable exceptions.

They're stripmining popular culture and making a film out of everything that moved in the 80s because it's easier than coming up with something new.

<shrug>.

It's really only a matter of time before we get a live-action Thundercats movie.

Speaking of which, casting thoughts?

If Snipes wasn't persona-non-grata in the US, by the time the movie gets made, he'd make an excellent Panthro.

Larrin
2007-06-11, 04:38 PM
Hollywood scraping the bottom of the barrel for ideas is old news, and this is harldy the ifrst time a childrens cartoon has been the scrapings. Rocky and bullwinkle, George of the jungle, dudley doRight....these are fairly "old"(in hollywood years) movies that have subjects that are pretty in the same genre as Underdog. At least Transformers is something you can make a movie out of, Underdog really isn't something you'd think you can derive a plot worth making a movie about....but that has NEVER stopped anyone, now has it.

Just remember, you saw these previews before a movie that is based on a disney amusement park ride. The first time i heard that i thought it was the most desperate money wringing attempt yet.....

Gavin Sage
2007-06-11, 04:50 PM
My problem with seeing the Underdog trailers was he was actually a dog. I'm sure that sounds kinda dumb for an objection but anthromorphized cartoon animals are more human then they are an animal. Actually making him into a live action dog completely misses the point and looses the charm. How the heck is a dog supposed to be a Shoeshine Boy? I really don't want to see a hero being somebody's pet, much with all the "Look at that dog!" vibe. Ick!

ravenkith
2007-06-12, 08:44 AM
Hey, look on the bright side.

At least Uwe Boll is nowhere near the thing, right? ;)

tetsubo
2007-06-12, 09:15 AM
It's really only a matter of time before we get a live-action Thundercats movie.

Speaking of which, casting thoughts?

If Snipes wasn't persona-non-grata in the US, by the time the movie gets made, he'd make an excellent Panthro.

Too late. Saw this the other day.

http://www.filmwad.com/-i-thundercats-i-film-on-the-way-2797-p.html

Matthew
2007-06-12, 10:39 AM
I so hope that's true... "Thundercats are on the loose, Thundercats are loose, feel the magic, hear the roar, thundercats are loose..."

Masters of the Universe was pretty good, as I recall, we might get lucky here as well. "Sword of Ages, give me sight beyond sight..."

"Thunder! Thunder! Thunder Cats....Hooooah!"

ravenkith
2007-06-12, 11:35 AM
MAsters of the Universe.

Oh god. The horror!

Cosmic Key?

our world?

Dolph effin Lundgren?

This is what you would make of the thundercats?

<cue vader>.

VAder: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!ONE!!

elliott20
2007-06-12, 11:36 AM
Masters of the Universe was pretty good,
Lie. of. the. century.

Roderick_BR
2007-06-12, 12:07 PM
I just watched the trailer...
He's not a anthro dog in a anthro world. He's a common dog in a human world.
And his powers came from some lab accident, not some magic pill stuff.
It's like Krypto meets Alex Mack :\

Masters of the Universe was cool, though it had almost nothing to do with He-man, other than having a big blonde guy with a sword.

elliott20
2007-06-12, 12:21 PM
it was movies like master of the universe that made me feel REALLY sorry for Skeletor. Seriously, his henchmen are all idiots. The best of his henchmen couldn't even grab and deliver a 17 year old girl, how bad do you think the guy in the kitchen washing dishes are?

Steve_the_ERB
2007-06-12, 01:09 PM
Just remember, you saw these previews before a movie that is based on a disney amusement park ride. The first time i heard that i thought it was the most desperate money wringing attempt yet.....

Its pretty sad when you put it that way but when I think about it more its not so bad. The pirates ride is just a visual display, while Underdog (or others) has some body of "literary work" (although I use the term loosely) behind it. Its like me going to a museum and seeing a painting of pirates and deciding to write a story vs me reading a pirate story and writing my own. One is inspiration and one is...not sure what...just lazy I guess.

Side question: what is the point of a pirate ride? Scary, humerous, a little of both? Been so long since I've been on one.

I remember very little of the Masters of the Universe movie, for which I think I'm thankful.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-06-12, 02:11 PM
The point of the ride is comedy. At least it is in Florida. Its rather amusing.

As for the debate of remakes not being like the original, I find it rather insulting to the original work whenever something comes along with the same name and same character names and changes the characters greatly.

The movie exploits your childhood by saying "Hey look! Remember the characters you loved as kids. We're bringing them to a movie! Relive a classic part of your childhood and for those 2 hours, we'll remind you of when times were simpler and it was great. Come on!" Then it ignores all the continuity and memorable character traits that lured you to the theatre in the first place.

I have not seen Inspector Gadget because in the previews they flashed around the villianous Claw's face with no regard to the cartoon. In the cartoon, you never saw Claw's face...ever! It was a mystery. Who was this evil man? Now I admit that I may be wrong in my assumption, since I have not seen it.

There are other examples, but I'm not going to go into them. The bottom line for me is that if you are going to use the name and the characters to convince me to watch your movie, then have the decency to make them the characters you are claiming them to be.

Just as an aside, to further illustrate my feelings
if 10 years after Rich finishes OotS, you hear that Cold Iron comics has picked up the rights to OotS and is going to release a 4 issue mini series, and you ran out to buy it, I assume you would be upset if Belkar was a half-minx female fur and she and Haley were lovers (box of Oreo's for anyone who gets that reference) and also that V was displayed on the cover, his gender clearly explained. I'd be upset because I'd feel digusted with the company for telling me this was going to be Order of the Stick when it wasn't.

Midnight Son
2007-06-12, 02:21 PM
The Pirates of the Carribean ride was not ever scary, though it had moments of thrill when you'd shoot down a dark tunnel to the next part of the ride. It was full of piratey stuff, though. Many of the scenes from the first movie were lifted right from the ride. For example, the scene in the jail with the pirates trying to get the keys from the dog.

As for Hollywood taking from old TV shows for their ideas, it's not a new phenomenon, nor does it mean Hollywood has run out of ideas. I see it as the current Hollywood generation saying, "Hey, I liked this show as a kid. I bet I can do something with the idea." I very much expect that the Transformers movie will not be ripping off the original show except in that they'll have the same names and general appearance. I agree that The Masters of the Universe was bad. I blame that on it being made, not by fans of a show from their childhood, but by someone looking to make a buck on a popular kids show. I'd bet that a He-Man movie today would be vastly superior. As for Underdog, well, I didn't much care for him as a kid. I can't see myself changing my mind now.

bluish_wolf
2007-06-13, 03:08 PM
I don't see why there is a trend to make live action movies out of comics and cartoon and such forth. They should just make them animated movies. That would be way better.