PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Help with a character

AmbientRaven
2015-12-03, 08:05 AM
Hi Folks!

I'll be joining a pathfinder game soon, and have no idea what to play!
I was originally thinking a Grippli dual pistol gunslinger, but, found out handguns aren't light weapons, and, -4/-4 is pretty bad (even with feats).

So now I am stumped. The setting is naval themed (think 1700's was the description) with limited races and no hybrid classes.
I haven't played much pathfinder (2 sessions is all), and there are /a lot/ of options! I am 5e fluent though so not new to the system (and 3.5 for that matter).

I'm mainly looking for a fun build/idea as opposed to a min-maxed perfect build, though don't want to be useless!

Thanks in advance for any idea's!!

Geddy2112
2015-12-03, 10:01 AM
Well, what do you want to make? What do you define as fun? What do you want your character to do/what is the concept?

Psyren
2015-12-03, 10:58 AM
Hi Folks!

I'll be joining a pathfinder game soon, and have no idea what to play!
I was originally thinking a Grippli dual pistol gunslinger, but, found out handguns aren't light weapons, and, -4/-4 is pretty bad (even with feats).

Not if you're attacking touch AC, which gunslingers usually do (either due to a small battlefield - i.e. most of them - or the Deadeye deed they get at level 1.)

Personally though I would go for an Inquisitor (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/inquisitor) if you want a ranged Grippli. Most of your damage will be coming from your Judgments and Bane, so your size won't matter as much, plus you get spells to back you up. You can even still use guns if you want by taking the Black Powder Inquisition (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/inquisitor/inquisitions/inquistions---paizo/black-powder-inquisition).

AmbientRaven
2015-12-03, 05:36 PM
Well, what do you want to make? What do you define as fun? What do you want your character to do/what is the concept?

I tend to like characters where you can have fun describing their actions. I get a bit bored of full casters and of straight fighters. I enjoy monks because of doing dumb stuff like running off of walls to round house people to the face ect.
It's why i liked the idea of a Grippli dual pistol Gunslinger, jump around dek blasting people, use my tounge to pull me up on ropes while I blast ect.

Psyren
2015-12-03, 05:44 PM
A grippli gunslinger isn't a bad idea. Take Agile Tongue and your tongue can now pick up objects, which means you can either use it to reload, or have it hold one of your guns while you reload the other. Their stat bonuses are in the right place for a gunslinger too.

Geddy2112
2015-12-03, 06:00 PM
Yeah, I second grippli gunslinger as totally awesome, and in no way useless. In a naval pirate campaign it helps to be proficient with cannons, then rifles, then pistols when enemies get close. You also get net proficiency in a setting where netting will be common. A climb speed for the rigging, perfect racial mods...
I would swap toxic skin in for the swamp stride and camo since neither will come up often.

As psyren said, having a negative mod to pistol shots is not that bad since guns hit touch AC at close range. Carry a rifle and dual pistols, so you can be effective at any range.

And grippli pirate...that is really all that needs to be said.

AmbientRaven
2015-12-03, 06:24 PM
Yeah, I second grippli gunslinger as totally awesome, and in no way useless. In a naval pirate campaign it helps to be proficient with cannons, then rifles, then pistols when enemies get close. You also get net proficiency in a setting where netting will be common. A climb speed for the rigging, perfect racial mods...
I would swap toxic skin in for the swamp stride and camo since neither will come up often.

As psyren said, having a negative mod to pistol shots is not that bad since guns hit touch AC at close range. Carry a rifle and dual pistols, so you can be effective at any range.

And grippli pirate...that is really all that needs to be said.

I was going to go Pistolero, would another type be better instead? Firearms are treated as Martial Weapons in the setting, advanced firearms exist but are very rare

Geddy2112
2015-12-04, 01:19 AM
I was going to go Pistolero, would another type be better instead? Firearms are treated as Martial Weapons in the setting, advanced firearms exist but are very rare

It puts you closer to combat, which is inherently more dangerous. Since guns are martial in the setting, the drawback of not being able to us a rifle is negated. The deeds are pretty sweet, although knocking a target prone will make them harder to hit with a gun. It is a good archetype, and since you will be proficient with them, have a long gun for situations where the pistols wont reach, or when you need to stay back, can't get close etc etc.

(Un)Inspired
2015-12-04, 01:26 PM
Oh my god.

I want to be in a party with a grippli gunslinger who reloads with his tongue. That sounds so cool.

Red Fel
2015-12-04, 01:38 PM
Oh my god.

I want to be in a party with a grippli gunslinger who reloads with his tongue. That sounds so cool.

And in a naval campaign, it gives him even more reason to drink all the rum. Gotta wash out the taste of gunpowder somehow, don'cha?

(Un)Inspired
2015-12-04, 01:46 PM
And in a naval campaign, it gives him even more reason to drink all the rum. Gotta wash out the taste of gunpowder somehow, don'cha?

Does anyone know of a bullet large enough that you could take a shot out of its empty casing?

Red Fel
2015-12-04, 01:50 PM
Does anyone know of a bullet large enough that you could take a shot out of its empty casing?

If the beverage is something like scumble, perhaps a small casing is best.

BWR
2015-12-04, 03:27 PM
If the beverage is something like scumble, perhaps a small casing is best.

Make sure to drink it before it eats through the metal.

AmbientRaven
2015-12-05, 09:16 AM
hahaha ok Grippli Pirate Gunsliger it is!

Should I satay base or pick an archetype? And is it worth Dual-wielding, or should i use one handed pistol/rifle?

Topaz
2015-12-05, 11:36 PM
I played a human Gunslinger through the Skull & Shackles AP and it was challenging but fun. I went vanilla though the Pistolero was tempting.

There's a lot of theory about dual-wielding double-barreled guns but I stuck with a pistol (along with cannons) and concentrated on reloading speed (I did eventually get a Range enchantment on the pistol). On the other hand (tongue?) rifles reload more slowly than pistols, so a double-barreled musket might be good if you go that way, or forgo the pistol and go with Musket Master.

The Alchemical Flare Cartridge is surprisingly handy at low levels.

If there's likely to be underwater (or even drenching) action, a Dryload Powder Horn is a must. The Beneficial Bandolier is good for reload but takes your Belt slot; the Endless Bandolier is great for a multiple Firearm user and uses the Chest slot.

(Un)Inspired
2015-12-06, 12:15 PM
hahaha ok Grippli Pirate Gunsliger it is!

Should I satay base or pick an archetype? And is it worth Dual-wielding, or should i use one handed pistol/rifle?

Dual wield all the way.

It hard for most character to dual wield pistols because you need a spare hand to reload (often necessitating dips into alchemist or bard) but you Grippli's got that rad tongue.

Don't lets great tongues go to waste.

Triskavanski
2015-12-06, 12:39 PM
I just kinda imagine this guy

https://41.media.tumblr.com/e161f44811b315d7cc764fccf8f05139/tumblr_mvlyj2w65f1shrp83o1_500.png