PDA

View Full Version : I like Miko

Lorde
2007-06-08, 03:15 PM
She is asian, and strong, and smell good.

Don't mind the naysayers Miko-chan, and follow your heart!

<3

Ridureyu
2007-06-08, 03:22 PM
If she follows her heart, she'll stab you in yours.

Yellow
2007-06-08, 03:23 PM
I Hate Miko! Watch Now As I Bore You With An Academic Essay Detailing My Every Minor Quibble With Her As Both A Character And A Person!

Edit: Oh ho! No capslock cruise control on Ootsforum. :O

Spiryt
2007-06-08, 03:25 PM
Not another Miko thread! Yeah! No another Miko thread! No anooother Miko, no another Mikooo, no another Miko thread!

Sing it to your favourite melody.

Dunedain
2007-06-08, 03:28 PM
I don't like Miko, but I like disliking her. And I absolutely LOVE watching her completely lose whatever tenuous grasp she once had on reality. Rich makes that very, very fun. Kudos, Giant! That's entertainment.

MR.PIXIE
2007-06-08, 03:29 PM
You beter cheek in to the clinic I just escaped from then.:smalleek: CRRRAAPPP!!!

Green Bean
2007-06-08, 03:30 PM
I like Miko. Who else can cause twenty different threads on nearly identical subjects to pop up in such a short time? :smalltongue:

TOAOMT
2007-06-08, 03:31 PM
Miko's alright as a character. Miko thread's aren't. On that note though, I think I successfully killed one a little while ago. Just like Miko killed Sam and her Pa... without any provocation at all (that's a joke by the way).

Lorde
2007-06-08, 03:32 PM
If she follows her heart, she'll stab you in yours.

Nah... she don't do that on purpose.

MR.PIXIE
2007-06-08, 03:32 PM
I hate miko:smallyuk: but she's hot:smallamused:

Scarab83
2007-06-08, 03:33 PM
I hate miko:smallyuk: but she's hot:smallamused:

She's a stick figure. :smallconfused:

Yellow
2007-06-08, 03:34 PM

A stick figure with boobies.

Lorde
Not another Miko thread! Yeah! No another Miko thread! No anooother Miko, no another Mikooo, no another Miko thread!

Sing it to your favourite melody.

I blame the lack of female protagonist. Haley just don't do it for me, and I asians with katanas.

Spiryt

Cause she has stick in her ass.
And Mr.Pixie likes disturbing images :smallwink:

Demented
2007-06-08, 03:35 PM

<3

:belkar: Miko, since you're paying for all that, may I suggest maybe spurging on a bath for yourself? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0225.html)

TheAlmightyOne
2007-06-08, 04:07 PM
Yes Mikos cool but the recent losing the plot and going all psyco-bitch on everyone makes me want to transform myself into a stickfigure, walk into the comic and shoot her with a tranquilizer gun. Repeatedly.

Milandros
2007-06-08, 04:29 PM
I'm glad you like her - many men don't like women with unshaven hairy legs and underarms who smell of stale sweat and horse. Let alone those whohave such a high-pitched whiney voice.

Prove I'm wrong :) [ and Sabine's opinion doesn't count, she's kinky and wierd ]

Yes, she's a stick figure, and liking Miko because you feel attracted to the image you have of her in your mind seems a little self-fulfilling to me. You might as well like Thog, because he's really a beautiful valkyrie under that half-orc mask she wears to pretend to be part of the Linear Guild.

And Miko almost certainly wouldn't like you in the slightest. She'd slap almost all of us down so fast it would hurt (slash slash slash hurt, probably).

Runolfr
2007-06-08, 04:31 PM
Lot's of people like Miko. Doesn't mean she isn't somewhere between mind-numbingly stupid and barking mad.

Twilight Jack
2007-06-08, 04:44 PM
I'm glad you like her - many men don't like women with unshaven hairy legs and underarms who smell of stale sweat and horse. Let alone those whohave such a high-pitched whiney voice.

Prove I'm wrong :) [ and Sabine's opinion doesn't count, she's kinky and wierd ]

Yes, she's a stick figure, and liking Miko because you feel attracted to the image you have of her in your mind seems a little self-fulfilling to me. You might as well like Thog, because he's really a beautiful valkyrie under that half-orc mask she wears to pretend to be part of the Linear Guild.

And Miko almost certainly wouldn't like you in the slightest. She'd slap almost all of us down so fast it would hurt (slash slash slash hurt, probably).

Because in D&D, which is based upon a psuedo-medieval setting, women are expected to shave their legs, bathe and perfume themselves daily? Geez. Context matters here. I don't exactly see Haley spending much of her time on the road preening or plucking, and Elan apparently likes her just fine. And Haley is one of the more "girly" women we've seen in the comic, as far as that sort of thing goes. Even she only goes in for a bathing and pampering when time and accommodations permit. Otherwise, she gets every bit as stinky and hirsute. So take it easy on Miko's hygiene. I'm sure she bathes when she's back in Azure City. She just doesn't see a point in beautification and other luxuries when she's on a quest. The mission is a bit more important than smelling pretty. She's arresting criminals, not looking for a date (whatever Roy might've wanted to believe).

RandyRhoads1
2007-06-08, 04:47 PM
People like her are what lead to over-the-top "justice" like the crusades and witch burning.

Alfryd
2007-06-08, 04:52 PM
Miko, since you're paying for all that, may I suggest maybe spurging on a bath for yourself?
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6491&page=2

Belkar is a halfling. ...He can recognize strong scents, like Roy or Miko or other humans. (To him, other races all stink, especially fighter-types.)

Let alone those who have such a high-pitched whiney voice.
Actually, Miko must have a fairly deep voice, since the Order were able to mistake her for male.
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0200.html
I can't comment on her legs, but aside from miscellaneous character testimony, by a process of elimination her high charisma score can only be accounted for by the perfect body. And she is buff! Gloriously buff! With a skinny, uptight ass. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0250.html)

Years' acquaintance witth fantasy literature has lead me to presume that every female adventurer is equipped a ready supply of such ubiquitous magical items as Morning-After Potions and Lotions of Body Waxing. Heck, why not.

Milandros
2007-06-08, 04:56 PM
Because in D&D, which is based upon a psuedo-medieval setting, women are expected to shave their legs, bathe and perfume themselves daily? Geez. Context matters here. I don't exactly see Haley spending much of her time on the road preening or plucking, and Elan apparently likes her just fine. And Haley is one of the more "girly" women we've seen in the comic, as far as that sort of thing goes. Even she only goes in for a bathing and pampering when time and accommodations permit. Otherwise, she gets every bit as stinky and hirsute. So take it easy on Miko's hygiene. I'm sure she bathes when she's back in Azure City. She just doesn't see a point in beautification and other luxuries when she's on a quest. The mission is a bit more important than smelling pretty. She's arresting criminals, not looking for a date (whatever Roy might've wanted to believe).

I think you've mistaken my point. Miko looks exactly like she's drawn - her arms and legs are thin sticks. She's a stick figure. She doesn't have hairy legs - she has stick legs. I have no idea what Rich's image of her is; he's never drawn an anatomically accurate Miko. Any image of her as attractive is purely in the mind of the reader and based on the comments of other stick figures.

People who make excuses for her actions based on the fact that "she's hot!" or "she's so beautiful" or anything else based on how sexy and asian and kunk-fu chicky she is, are only fooling themselves - they're attracted to their own mental image of her. How many people would have a different opinion of her actions, I wonder, if she looked like female Roy, only with some more scars and missing teeth? Or if she finally removed her Hat of Disguise to show that he was, in fact, a balding leprous male dwarf with a hunch?

Scarab83
2007-06-08, 05:07 PM

Your opinion became null and void the moment you used revealed yourself to be a Gaian.

Yellow
2007-06-08, 05:07 PM
tl;dr

She was good enough for Roy.

Lorde
2007-06-08, 05:10 PM

Dungeons and Dragons say Paladins can "walk out of a cesspit as they were fresh from the bath". They have some holy munbo-jumbo which makes then really godly looking. Its all in the book.

Anyway, when you deal with stick figures, you are forced to fill the gaps, can as well fill then with good things. Stick or not, fantasy is a genre which only work if you insert a good deal of suspension of belief... the old ages were full of skin disease, crooked tooth and lice.

And I like Miko, even if she may (or may not) be a bad companion to everyday affairs. I like Haley too, doesn't mind I would enjoy the company of a selfish thief.

Lorde
2007-06-08, 05:30 PM
I think you've mistaken my point. Miko looks exactly like she's drawn - her arms and legs are thin sticks. She's a stick figure. She doesn't have hairy legs - she has stick legs. I have no idea what Rich's image of her is; he's never drawn an anatomically accurate Miko. Any image of her as attractive is purely in the mind of the reader and based on the comments of other stick figures.

People who make excuses for her actions based on the fact that "she's hot!" or "she's so beautiful" or anything else based on how sexy and asian and kunk-fu chicky she is, are only fooling themselves - they're attracted to their own mental image of her. How many people would have a different opinion of her actions, I wonder, if she looked like female Roy, only with some more scars and missing teeth? Or if she finally removed her Hat of Disguise to show that he was, in fact, a balding leprous male dwarf with a hunch?

You know fiction is based on our interpretation of the characters right? In art you are told you can't know what people will think of what you do, this end up being true to any medium.

Let say Roy kill a goblin... is he a adventurer? A savage killer? A hero? Many interpretations are possible and, most of time, they are all correct.. even if a retard think Roy kill thens because he is racist toward green people, if he believes in it, this is true FOR HIM.

A exception can be made if the author says something about the char, but someone can even dismiss the author opinion if he doesn't think his action are coherent.

I like kung-fu chicks... I like Paladins and I hope Miko trial end up nice... if not, tough luck. I can always think on the cruelty of the destiny which gave her a poor hand to play.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-06-08, 05:34 PM
I like Miko mostly because I picture her looking like Lucy Liu. I like Lucy Liu...:smallbiggrin:

Lorde
2007-06-08, 05:38 PM
I like Miko mostly because I picture her looking like Lucy Liu. I like Lucy Liu...:smallbiggrin:

I compare liking her a bit to liking a villain. People can like Xykon, but can't like Miko.

Of course, I won't mind seeing a bit of good fortune raining on her. Her journey is truly tragic.

Twilight Jack
2007-06-08, 05:46 PM

Actually, I understood your point just fine. My point is that the mental image any given Miko-fan has is based upon the context we are given. If the characters were drawn photo-realistic with a mind towards cultural and historical accuracy, Miko would still be beautiful within the world she inhabits (furry legs and all). Even as a stick figure, she is beautiful because that is how she is presented to us by the actions and statements of other characters in the comic. Because we have come to identify with these characters, we project those traits onto our own mental images in relating to them as people. A photo-realistic picture of Miko may or may not be found attractive by any given viewer. A stick figure representation is teh hawtness because it defies our ability to make such a judgement. We are told she's gorgeous, and so we envision as we need to in order to make that true for us. By abstracting the image, we allow this truth to remain outside subjective judgement.

To say then that Miko fans are deluding themselves is true only within the context of the necessary suspension of disbelief that permeates the experience of any work of fiction. The fact that fans actually find themselves crushing on Miko (or Haley, or Tsukiko, or Celia) serves as proof that Rich has succeeded in the tools of his medium. We identify with the characters and project onto them the traits they exhibit in the context of that fictional world in a way that has meaning for us.

Twilight Jack
2007-06-08, 06:07 PM
Your opinion became null and void the moment you used revealed yourself to be a Gaian.

I'm not a Gaian, but thank you for that overarching and quite telling generalization.

You think women should have shaved legs in order to be beautiful only because that is the context you've been fed in the culture we inhabit. Historically speaking, smooth-shaven legs are a relative novelty in most cultures. People fell in love and got it on just find in the millenia prior to legs (or other bits) being shorn to the skin just fine, thank you very much.

Myself, I have loved some ladies who shaved their legs, some who shaved every bit of hair below their necks, one who shaved those bits of hair above her neck too, and a couple of girls who didn't shave at all. On the whole, I think I prefer smooth legs from an aesthetic standpoint. They just feel nice. That said, when I fall in love, I fall in love with a person, not a singular aesthetic standpoint. It's this whole thing I do wherein I have relationships with people and not mass-produced and prepackaged images of people.

And in case you were about to embarass yourself by saying that I've just revealed myself to only date ugly women, let me head you off at the pass. I have dated a few women that you would probably consider ugly. I've also dated plenty who could set a room alight by walking through the door. The thing they had in common was that they were all fascinating and vibrant human beings to whom I found myself wanting to be close.

Also, your opinion became null and void the moment you revealed yourself to be shallow.

Ar-Sakal
2007-06-08, 06:31 PM
I also like Miko... I like her to die in the most horrible and henious way posible....

I fully support Belkar doing something with her that starts with an "S" and ends with "litting their throats"... while she is clad in black leather...

muahahahahahaha

Demented
2007-06-08, 06:50 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6491&page=2

Read in context, that just proves that he's a halfling, not that Miko stinks any less. =P

Admiral_Kelly
2007-06-08, 09:19 PM
I like Miko too. The only thing I don't like about her is how she makes her passions turn to blood wrath.

Oh, and if it weren't for the whole regicide thing/destruction of the gate thing I would totally date her (actually, getting rid of one of my least favorite charachters is definitely a plus but still...).

Nightmarenny
2007-06-08, 10:06 PM

<3Congratulations you like a psycopath that thinks the world revolves around her and that anything she does was destined by the Gods. Im sure you'll be very happy together, don't run out of milk.

Demented
2007-06-08, 11:15 PM
I like Miko too. The only thing I don't like about her is how she makes her passions turn to blood wrath.

Aw come on! That's the best part about her!
I just don't like how she refuses to own up to it. Gods this, duty that... Please, Miko. Don't gimme that, you know better. Well, maybe you don't, but would it hurt to sit down and listen once in a while so someone could tell it to you?

Setra
2007-06-08, 11:16 PM
I like Miko, she makes an excellent antagonist, and an interesting character.

Lorde
2007-06-08, 11:29 PM
Congratulations you like a psycopath that thinks the world revolves around her and that anything she does was destined by the Gods. Im sure you'll be very happy together, don't run out of milk.

Most incredible description of a psycho ever! Destined by the Gods? A fallen Paladin???

I don't care if she is destined by the Gods or not. I don't care if she makes mistakes or not I like her -despite- these flaws as long as she does it with good intentions.

She's a well written character with depth. What's not to like?

And thanks for the Lucy Liu image. Miko, you sexy fallen paladin, you.

Nightmarenny
2007-06-09, 12:19 AM
Most incredible description of a psycho ever! Destined by the Gods? A fallen Paladin???

I don't care if she is destined by the Gods or not. I don't care if she makes mistakes or not I like her -despite- these flaws as long as she does it with good intentions.

(time to cheese-ily Parody both "Scrubs" and a Famous Saying, Ok here I go)

Is it still funny to make a "Road of Good Intentions Joke? I don't care im going for it.

Yeah she's so full of good intentions she could build a road to the infernal plane

*Looks around to see if anyone laughed*

Setra
2007-06-09, 12:24 AM
I've always loathed the phrase "The road to hell was paved with good intentions"

It always makes me want to kill someone. Because if good intentions get me to hell, bad ones might as well get me to heaven.

Nightmarenny
2007-06-09, 12:36 AM
I've always loathed the phrase "The road to hell was paved with good intentions"

It always makes me want to kill someone. Because if good intentions get me to hell, bad ones might as well get me to heaven.

Well it is true. Being blindly intentioned can cause you to do very bad things. Its late so I can't think of alot of good litarary examples but lets see if I can think of a few,

Frankeinstien

Aniken Skywalker

The moms in South Park the movie.

Mynks in Starcraft

Anyone who campains against, Comic books, Video Games, Harry Potter DnD

So on,

Its a true saying though you may louth it(the converse isn't true though) but you should accept it cause Miko is a perfect example.

Lorde
2007-06-09, 12:38 AM
(time to cheese-ily Parody both "Scrubs" and a Famous Saying, Ok here I go)

Is it still funny to make a "Road of Good Intentions Joke? I don't care im going for it.

Yeah she's so full of good intentions she could build a road to the infernal plane

*Looks around to see if anyone laughed*

You are quoting the saying incorrectly. The saying is used to warm of extremely helpful people who probably have 2nd intention behind their helpfulness.

Think of someone who put lots of a sleeping drug on your drink to you sleep and you end up losing a important test for a job.. if you get angry at him he will say "You looked soooo tired, I just wanted to help"

For what you can then reply the saying, because his INTENT, while "good" on the surface, were evil all along. He just wanted you to lose the test, probably because he wanted the spot himself.

Miko, misguided as it may seen, didn't mean harm doing what she did.

Setra
2007-06-09, 12:38 AM
Well it is true. Being blindly intentioned can cause you to do very bad things. Its late so I can't think of alot of good litarary examples but lets see if I can think of a few,

Frankeinstien

Aniken Skywalker

The moms in South Park the movie.

Mynks in Starcraft

Anyone who campains against, Comic books, Video Games, Harry Potter DnD

So on,

Its a true saying though you may louth it(the converse isn't true though) but you should accept it cause Miko is a perfect example.
Oh? So I should never have a good intention?

Ever? Because the saying speaks only of intentions.

So I should never donate to charity? Good intentions are evil after all.

I should never help an old lady across the street?

I should never show common courtesy?

Nightmarenny
2007-06-09, 12:43 AM
Oh? So I should never have a good intention?

Ever? Because the saying speaks only of intentions.

So I should never donate to charity? Good intentions are evil after all.

I should never help an old lady across the street?

I should never show common courtesy?Now see this is why you don't like it. You misinterpreted it. Its not "You should never have good intentions cause they inevitebly lead to evil" its :Just because your looking to be good doesn't mean you are, you must examine your actions because if you go blindly around with good intentioned ou may do evil". its a warning not a fact of life.

Setra
2007-06-09, 01:16 AM
Now see this is why you don't like it. You misinterpreted it. Its not "You should never have good intentions cause they inevitebly lead to evil" its :Just because your looking to be good doesn't mean you are, you must examine your actions because if you go blindly around with good intentioned ou may do evil". its a warning not a fact of life.
I know exactly what is 'meant' to be interpereted.

I just hate it, because I hate what it means at face value. Even if you do something bad, should you tell someone their good intentions were wrong?

The phrase should be entirely replaced with "Think before you act"

Nightmarenny
2007-06-09, 01:32 AM
I know exactly what is 'meant' to be interpereted.

I just hate it, because I hate what it means at face value. Even if you do something bad, should you tell someone their good intentions were wrong?

The phrase should be entirely replaced with "Think before you act"
Oh my God. No that is not what it means at face value. Im not even sure what you arguement is.

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions"

I don't see a "All good intentions are bad" do you? And I don't get what you mean if you do something bad why would go around telling others they messed up?

The Prase is better than "Think before you act" because it implies more.

Setra
2007-06-09, 01:38 AM
Oh my God. No that is not what it means at face value. Im not even sure what you arguement is.

I don't see a "All good intentions are bad" do you? And I don't get what you mean if you do something bad why would go around telling others they messed up?

The Prase is better than "Think before you act" because it implies more.
What I'm saying is...

When you take it literally, not thinking deeper, that's what I meant at face value. If your child, does something wrong, and you tell them that, what do you think the child is going to think?

You're going to hell if your intentions are good. That's what my initial reaction to the phrase is. I KNOW there is deeper meaning, others do too, that doesn't mean the phrase is good.

Maybe my problem with it, is that people always used it wrong. I don't know.

I keep remembering when I was trying to bake a cake for my mom and dad's anniversery when I was young.. made a huge mess, my Dad used the phrase.

So I thought 'fine, I won't clean up the mess then'. I ended up grounded for a month :smallannoyed:

Nightmarenny
2007-06-09, 01:43 AM
What I'm saying is...

When you take it literally, not thinking deeper, that's what I meant at face value. If your child, does something wrong, and you tell them that, what do you think the child is going to think?

You're going to hell if your intentions are good. That's what my initial reaction to the phrase is. I KNOW there is deeper meaning, others do too, that doesn't mean the phrase is good.

Maybe my problem with it, is that people always used it wrong. I don't know.

I keep remembering when I was trying to bake a cake for my mom and dad's anniversery when I was young.. made a huge mess, my Dad used the phrase.

So I thought 'fine, I won't clean up the mess then'. I ended up grounded for a month :smallannoyed:
No at face value thats not what it means, and it isn't a phrase for small children. Seriously Im abit annoyed that your parent would tell a kid that when they try to do something nice.

"The road to hell was paved with good intentions" if you first took that to mean you souldn't have good intentions you must have been a very little kid. And being mad because the phase isn't understandable by children so then must be "seize the Day" "The world is Shrinking" so on.

Setra
2007-06-09, 01:46 AM
It's always what I took it to mean at face value, which is probably why I got confused.

I apologize for being a donkey, if ya know what I mean.

Nightmarenny
2007-06-09, 01:49 AM
It's always what I took it to mean at face value, which is probably why I got confused.

I apologize for being a donkey, if ya know what I mean.
Nagh I over reacted. So ug Democrat stickers all around(don't mean anything Political their mascot is just the donkey so, you know)

hanzo66
2007-06-09, 02:08 AM
I like Miko as a well-written and interesting character, even if she's meant to be hard to like and highly unsympathetic (which she is) at times.

Ashbless
2007-06-09, 02:14 AM
People like her are what lead to over-the-top "justice" like the crusades and witch burning.

er, no...

Without going off into history here about events which had multiple causes, and were not restricted to just Europe, (ever heard of 'jihad?') which you seem intent on doing I would point out that Miko is not the person in authority.

Which other paladins in this strip have you seen behave in similiar fashion? None. Taking one person and assuming their attributes to an entire group of people is just plain wrong.

Nightmarenny
2007-06-09, 02:17 AM
er, no...

Without going off into history here about events which had multiple causes, and were not restricted to just Europe, (ever heard of 'jihad?') which you seem intent on doing I would point out that Miko is not the person in authority.

Which other paladins in this strip have you seen behave in similiar fashion? None. Taking one person and assuming their attributes to an entire group of people is just plain wrong.
Im sorry in what you quoted I don't see him doing that, He specifies Miko not attacking her whole group at all.

Alex Warlorn
2007-06-09, 02:48 AM
I wish Miko would -wake up- already.

The monk who taught her right from wrong must have been Basic D&D First Edition characters.

Why?

BECAUSE --> In Basic D&D First Edition, good and lawful, plus evil and chaotic, WERE the same thing!!! She was taught outdated dogma.

squidthingy
2007-06-11, 08:55 PM
I liked Miko the PALADIN, miko the fallen paladin was horrible though

Daedalus73
2007-06-11, 08:58 PM
I like Miko too!

... in much the same way one might like herpes or a brain tumor.