PDA

View Full Version : First time making a BBEG

The J Pizzel
2007-06-08, 04:04 PM
Hey guys, I always run a campaign based on lots of little missions and mini quests that usually have a BBEG at the end whom is usually just an upper level wizard or sorcerer or something. I'm running a campaign right now where the PC's are getting mixed up in an ancient forgotten prophecy that is so outdated, it's only found in one book, in one library, in one city. Here's the prophecy:

From the Tome of Recorded Ages
Fifth translation – Elven
2nd Age of Elves

On the Chosen…

When He That Dwells In Shadows treads the breath of the Alendia,
The Chosen shall be borne.

The Chosen will then seek out their Guardians, and bestow upon them their gift.

They shall journey to the Forgotten Realm, to the City of Lost Souls and there,
The fall of the Chosen shall be the rise of the Guardians.

The bane of He That Dwells In Shadows will be re-forged
And the Guardians will, once again, be asked to battle one who won’t be vanquished.

In a nutshell, (PC's are level 10) they're gonna find the 5 chosen(one for each race: Elf, Dwarf, Ghome, Halfling, Human) whom will give them each a gift, and together they travel to an underground forgotten city (all the while being chased by BBEG's armies) where there will be lots of baddies. PC's should be around level 12-14 now. There the chosen will be sacrificed and their blood will form some pretty bad ass weapons. Next the PC's will have to travel to an arctic fortress (similar to Superman ice caves) and destroy a crystal the size of a greatsword, which is the source of BBEG's power. Level 15-17 now. They will then be able to find BBEG and destroy him. All these travels will traverse my homebrew world (Oerth with a few alterations) and wil include sea travel, a quick romp in a desert setting, and a large trek through the underdark. More underdark baddies then Drow though.

Need help on following ideas:
What gift should the Chosen bestow on the Gaurdians (the PC's). There's one for each race. I was thinking that maybe the chosen would give all the racial abilities of their race, to their respected Gaurdians. Is that too lame or not powerful enough or too powerful.

What type of main baddie can have occupied to the lost forgotten underground city. It's going to be deep in the earth. The PC's will even have to find away through a drow city to reach it. I don't want a dragon, the party will be fighting plenty of those...although a Dracolich might be cool...anyway... thoughts on that would be nice.

Next and foremost - what can the BBEG be. I need a Dark Evil Sauron type guy. I'd like to PC's to encounter him once and I want him to mop the floor with them. I know players don't usually like to lose, but I hardly ever throw this type of encounter at them and I want them to understand that his power is too great for them right now. I have no idea what to even make him. His army includes all classic beasties, a few summons, and a typical undead horde. Oh, he also has several dragons in league with him. He favors militarized minataurs, orgres and giants. Uses manticores and gargoyles as scouts and uses barbarians hordes and skeleton hordes as fodder. Dragons and High level Undead lead his armies.

Sorry if I gave too much info. I just wanted to make it clear what I'm looking for. Please help me out, I've hit some horrible DMers block and I can't think of anything cool. I've seen you guys make some pretty nifty bad guy combos so any help would be extremely appreciated.

pizzel

TheLogman
2007-06-08, 04:24 PM
Okay, I myself am not experienced, but I get some good ideas sometimes.

#1 These guys are Level 12+ by the time they get the gifts, racial abilities are too weak, maybe an item tied to each Race?

-Elf: Something like the Oathbow, but with some bigger bonuses
-Dwarf: A warhammer, a reallllly nice warhammer with some Earth-based enchantments
-Gnome: Something fun and whimsical, maybe a Rod of Wonder, but with some actually useful stuff instead of the stupid color changing things. Like for 3/4ths of the useless effects given by the Rod, assign a good buff or attack spell
-Halfling: Something wearable and acrobatic, something like a hat of disguise, but instead of a hat, it's like armor, that can change into any kind of armor with a +3 bonus,
-Human: The ultimate pinnacle of versatility, the Human gives a kickass staff, which is similar to the Staff of the magi, but with less spells, that gives more buffs to the user.

#2 MindFlayers Give some of them magic items, and make a whole settlement of them, or at least a hunting Party. MindFlayers are cool, and they eat brains, plus, they live right in that area.

#3 Liches are fun for baddies, a Wizard lich with some home-brewed spells for darkenss, something like a Fireball, but make it deal cold and slicing damage.
Another idea is a Demon/devil of some sort.
Or even better, this is where you put the DracoLich, but give him Wizard levels with the whole slicing-cloud/cold fireballs going on.
Shadowmancer is also fun, just give him like 19 levels in that, and let him hit the PC's with distance spells, and point and laugh while he uses battle control, or make him Binder, and let him be a front runner in the battle, with like 3 vestiges on, giving him absurd abilities, ooooor, make him a truenamer who uses the Map utterances, for near complete battle-field control.

Xuincherguixe
2007-06-09, 01:05 AM
One thing you could do is find a good monster, and give it class levels. Especially if it's something that really throws people for a loop. Like say, a Dwarf Assassin. Something with low magic like that is rarely a main villain. This means that you can focus on aspects of the character that don't involve magic. It could be cruel, charismatic, relentless, vicious, all kinds of things. The thing isn't so much a threat because it can turn people inside out with the power of it's mind, it's just planned things out well. You know how heros seem to have that strange power to get things done that isn't necessarily magic? The BBEG could have that instead.

If turning people inside out with the power of ones mind is your thing, psionics may be the thing. If it's not something that you use often, it might have the desired affect of producing something terrible and difficult to fight.

For the game I'm coming up with, I've been trying to make some fairly unique creatures. Homebrewed BBEG may be a good way to go as it may well stay in their minds. Feel free to use any of this stuff (and figure out the stats :P)

-Evil Cloud: Could be acidic for extra fun, maybe breathing it in makes people evil. Could have weather control, psionics, or any combination of all of the above. Go to town)
-Shoggoth: Shoggoths are always fun. If you don't know what a Shoggoth is, well it doesn't really matter anyways since it's going to only be based on them. Think of something that's slimely, has a bunch of tentacles, eyes, and mouths and you have a Shoggoth. Err. Maybe. Seems to be a fair amount of variation on them. Either way it doesn't matter. Their bodies are acidic, and convential weapons tend to be absolutely useless. Electricty and Fire are said to work good on Shoggoths. They're gigantic, and they tend to regenerate too. Throw on anything else you feel like.
-Warped Space/Portals: Your BBEG doesn't have to exist as a physical being. Maybe it's presence is simply twisted space. Throw something in the area and find that all the sudden proceeds to zip around in a bunch of different directions and finally land somewhere on a completely different trajectory. Only affects that target across dimensions would be able to harm it.
-Wind: BBEG that's just a bunch of blowing wind. It could be colored if you're feeling generous enough to let the players see it. It could carry debris too. It could have strange powers, but it could also just be a malevolent thing that blows viciously into the players and uses itself to throw objects at them.
-Pile of weapons: Has a disadvantage of not being especially unique. But maybe it's a series of weapons that fly, as if being controlled with telekinesis. Kind of cliche, but rarely is it a significant enemy
-Big puddle of mercury: It's a big puddle of mercury. Think anything that applies to slime monsters, but it's heavier.
-Electricty: The BBEG is an electrical being. Should probably have electric attacks. Yeah sorry, I'm running out of the really strange ideas.
-Black Hole: Black Holes make for great monsters because they lend themselves so well to symbolism. Dead Star, consumes everything that approaches it, not even light can escape. Give it the ability to think and act, and you've got yourself a pretty good supreme evil. It converts very easily to 'demon', and for this reason lends itself more to magic than psionics.
-Crytals: Could be a crystalline being, or something that's being is contained in some. Crystals as enemies have been done before, but something about the idea seems to lend itself well to strangeness. Eh, may not be such hot idea but I'm throwing it out anyways.
-Evil Fungus: Turns out that sometimes there can be gigantic fungi. I'm thinking less the mushroom kind so much as one that just kind of stretches out a bunch.

I also had the idea that a dungeon itself could be some kind of malevolent entity, but this probably isn't what you're looking for. There's one more too, but it's pretty horrible. The thing would grab people and impale them on spikes, on it's gigantic body. In addition to providing an additional, probably unnecessary defense adding to how horrible the thing is. It would draw strength from the suffering of the people impaled, but it would also channel negative energy into the bodies and turning them into the undead. Which it would then eat.

My thought for how to beat it, would be that people would have to cut out their hearts and throw them into it's mouth, while still beating.

Yeah, I'm pretty twisted. Which probably helps for coming up with antagonists. Still, hope this helped.

If you're looking for something less out there? Evil Druid dedicated to destruction works well.

PinkysBrain
2007-06-09, 01:34 AM
How are you planning to mop the floor with them without just TPK'ing them? Dream sequence? Astral projection? (Personally I'd use the latter, railroad the PCs into finding an artifact which can perform astral projection and which can lead them to the BBEGs lair which I would make extraplanar ... they take the artifact, go there, get slaughtered and return to their body minus the artifact, being forced to track down a portal to his lair by normal travel for a second shot at it.)

I'd have the guardians give them some nice 1/day Sp abilities.

A Rakshasha sorcerer is a good caster BBEG. He could just say "I don't need spells to deal with the likes of you" cast Tenser's Transformation and waste them (it's unlikely they have weapons which can pierce his DR, they have poor odds of affecting him with spells and his AC is skyhigh).

Call Me Siggy
2007-06-09, 10:37 AM
Hmm...For the gifts, I'd say to look into Complete Divine, under the Relics section, and have each guardian give the relic that corresponds to their race's patron god.

Remember, if you have a problem-there's probably a splatbook that can help. :smalltongue:

Quietus
2007-06-09, 11:01 AM
-Evil Fungus: Turns out that sometimes there can be gigantic fungi. I'm thinking less the mushroom kind so much as one that just kind of stretches out a bunch.

Wacky idea... awakened ... is it brown mold, that grows when hit with fire? Then make it a Sorceror (fudge the cha as needed) that specializes in Fire area of effect spells. Doesn't need to be a BBEG, long as it's annoying.

Matthew
2007-06-10, 01:03 PM
A Death Knight is always a fun adversary to use. Otherwise, various Demons and Devils would probably fit the bill.

Skjaldbakka
2007-06-10, 03:10 PM
Raksasha Liches are fun (not technically legal, but meh). They take a magic, good, bludgeoning and piercing weapon to penetrate their DR. I ran one in an Eberrron game. The archer with blessed arrows was sad.

Ceres
2007-06-10, 03:27 PM
Whatever you decide that your BBEG is, you should probably read this (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/rTKEivnsYuZrh94H1Sn.html).

Toliudar
2007-06-10, 04:37 PM
What I look for in a good recurring villain:

A powerful emotion driving their actions - doesn't have to be hatred - mirth, love, and terror can work just fine.
The ability to escape a confrontation with the PC's.
The ability to shut one or more PC's down without killing them.
Enough intelligence to make them an interesting opponent (less intelligence and they're less a villain than an obstacle to be overcome).
Some kind of personal tie to one or more of the PC's. Either established in backstory.
A clearly defined modus operandi. Which can make for a great moment if/when they choose to deviate later.

Sorcerer, cleric and druid levels can be great to assist with the survival factor of the BBEG. I love tieflings and half-fiends, but that's a personal taste thing.

The J Pizzel
2007-06-11, 09:05 AM
I've read the villian workshop, it's helped. I'm trying to stay away from Demons and Devils cause I use them a lot in the army. As well as half-fiends and half-dragons. I'm really digging the idea of a Raksasha. I've never thrown a single one in a game and the PC's will never expect it. Now, how do I optomize him. What class and gear should I give him. I've never made a upper level BBEG. I'll use the Magic Item Compendium to equip him, but what toys do I use. He's gonna need to be around level...hmmm...18-20.

Oh, for the "bestow upon them their gifts" part. I didn't want weapons cause they'll be getting weapons in the lost city. I like the idea of some spells per day. Any advice - i'm thinking they should relate to the race. Like 3/day:

Gnome - speak with animals, dancing lights, prestigi....
Elf - detect secret doors, cats grace,
Dwarf - some stone stuff, I don't know
etc.

Thoughtbot360
2007-06-11, 02:04 PM
Okay, I myself am not experienced, but I get some good ideas sometimes.

#1 These guys are Level 12+ by the time they get the gifts, racial abilities are too weak, maybe an item tied to each Race?

-Elf: Something like the Oathbow, but with some bigger bonuses
-Dwarf: A warhammer, a reallllly nice warhammer with some Earth-based enchantments
-Gnome: Something fun and whimsical, maybe a Rod of Wonder, but with some actually useful stuff instead of the stupid color changing things. Like for 3/4ths of the useless effects given by the Rod, assign a good buff or attack spell
-Halfling: Something wearable and acrobatic, something like a hat of disguise, but instead of a hat, it's like armor, that can change into any kind of armor with a +3 bonus,
-Human: The ultimate pinnacle of versatility, the Human gives a kickass staff, which is similar to the Staff of the magi, but with less spells, that gives more buffs to the user.

#2 MindFlayers Give some of them magic items, and make a whole settlement of them, or at least a hunting Party. MindFlayers are cool, and they eat brains, plus, they live right in that area.

#3 Liches are fun for baddies, a Wizard lich with some home-brewed spells for darkenss, something like a Fireball, but make it deal cold and slicing damage.
Another idea is a Demon/devil of some sort.
Or even better, this is where you put the DracoLich, but give him Wizard levels with the whole slicing-cloud/cold fireballs going on.
Shadowmancer is also fun, just give him like 19 levels in that, and let him hit the PC's with distance spells, and point and laugh while he uses battle control, or make him Binder, and let him be a front runner in the battle, with like 3 vestiges on, giving him absurd abilities, ooooor, make him a truenamer who uses the Map utterances, for near complete battle-field control.

Or a Tunneling Half-fiend Dracolich!

What?

...Eh?
2007-06-11, 04:20 PM
As far as BBEG, a Master Transmorgifist (sp?) can be an absolute bastard to fight, especially since it can become most of the ideas other people have had, although it would have less spells. You could have him show up the first time as something with the cold subtype, then when the PCs show up in his lair ready to burn him do death, he turns into a monster with the fire subtype.

Jothki
2007-06-11, 04:38 PM
How about making the crystal itself be the BBEG? You could have it either directly control its forces through one or more projected avatars, or have it offer power to LBEGs while slowly warping their minds.