PDA

View Full Version : DnD/MTG/Drinking Game Mashup EXTRAVAGANZA

DragonBaneDM
2015-12-03, 11:51 AM
So I've been made Best Man for a friend's wedding! This puts me in charge of the bachelor party. I wanted to plan something truly special for my groom, so here's what I'm trying to put together:

I had my friend list his five favorite Magic the Gathering creature cards, and I'm going to build a DnD party based around them. He knows I'm doing something with this info, but I haven't given him any clues beyond that.

The scenario I'm putting them in is the defense of a mystical brewery that produces alcoholic drinks with potion-like effects as wave after waves of (also MTG themed) minions attack it. So, not only do I get to make my own PCs up with various abilities outside of what would be found in the 4E books, but I get to design benefits for different drinks that the players have to consume when they say their characters do! Here's the ideas I've come up with:

http://static.tappedout.net/mtg-cards/planechase-2012-edition/bloodbraid-elf.jpg

http://s.mtgprice.com/sets/Duel_Decks_Knights_vs_Dragons/img/Knight%20of%20the%20Reliquary.full.jpg

http://i.tcgplayer.com/35563.jpg

http://s.mtgprice.com/sets/M11/img/Sun%20Titan.full.jpg

http://i.tcgplayer.com/96604.jpg

I am currently planning to base them on the math of Level 5 characters. Decent number of HP, a good amount of powers, nothing too-too confusing that people who have never played 4E/drunk people couldn't deal with.

Sun Titan: Based on a Str/Cha Baladin. Has some healing abilities but is mainly there to deal melee damage. Ability to get permanents back from the graveyard can be reflected in a daily resurrection power.

Fauna Shaman: Based on a Con heavy Shaman. Tarmagoyf is her Spirit Companion. Ability to replace Goyf with more powerful creatures that have various effects.

Tarmagoyf: Spirit Companion. Gets powered up based on how many at-wills or encounters Fauna has used.

Knight of the Reliquary: Based on a Sword and Board Fighter. Definitely a challenge. My current plan is to have her enter different stances named after land cards that give different effects. For instance "Stance of the Sacred Forge" or "Temple Garden Stance" are things I have planned.

Bloodbraid Elf: Based on a spear Barbarian with a strong elemental theme. This is gonna be fun. Her Cascading Strike power(s?) are basically going to just result in her using different elemental attacks at random. Might want to "dumb it down" a little bit in case people want to avoid math.

Two kinds of drinks! Shots are "potions" and drinks you sip from are "flasks". Before each encounter everyone can get one of each from the brewery they are protecting.
Shots are one time uses for immediate, encounter power level effects like dealing damage to enemies in a burst or healing a large group of people.
Sipping drinks provide more of a long term benefit, like a +1 to AC or attack rolls until you switch drinks.
I'll probably just have 3 of each.

What do you think? I'm looking for critique of the idea, what I might want to consider for the PCs/drinking aspect, and ways to simplify it so that it's easily understood by drunk people who, while having played DnD before, may not know the 4E rolls too well.

PCs:

Large.

HP: 53
Surges: 12
AC: 21
Fort: 19
Reflex: 14
Will: 16
Initiative: +1
Speed: 6
Str: 20 Con: 14 Dex: 8 Int: 10 Wis: 15 Cha: 10
Attack Bonus: +11
Damage Die: 1d10 + 6
At Wills:
Sanction Strike:
Standard Action. One creature. Melee 2.
+11 vs AC
Hit: 1d10 + 6 damage and the target is subject to your sun’s sanction until the end of your next turn.
Special: When charging you can use this power in place of a melee basic attack.

Righteous Blow:
+11 vs AC
Hit: 2d10 + 6 damage, and you push the target 2 squares.
Second Sunrise:
+11 vs AC
Hit: 3d10 + 6 damage
Effect: One ally within 5 squares of you can spend a healing surge.

At-Will: Light of Sanction:
Once per turn, as a minor action, you may impose your sun’s sanction on a target. That target is marked. A marked target takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls that do not include you as a target. Until the mark ends, the target takes 5 radiant damage the first time each round it makes an attack that doesn’t include you as a target. Unless noted by a power, this mark ends at the end of your next turn.

At-Will (2/Day): Healing Hands
Minor Action.
Melee 2. One creature.
Useable 2 times per day.
You spend a healing surge but regain no hit points. Instead, the target regains hit points as if it had spent a healing surge. You must have at least one healing surge remaining to use this power.

HP: 47
Surges: 9
AC: 17
Fort: 16
Reflex: 15
Will: 19
Initiative: +4
Speed: 7
Str 8 Con 14 Dex 15 Int 10 Wis 20 Cha 10
Attack Bonus: +8
Damage Die: X + 6
At Wills:

Primal Bellow:
At-Will. Standard Action. Beast Companion Melee 1
+8 vs. Reflex: Hit: 1d8 + 6 damage. Until the end of your next turn, you and your allies gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls and your beast companion gains a +2 bonus to AC.

Tarmo-nate:
At-Will. Standard Action. Tarmagoyf Only Melee 1
+8 vs Fortitude: Hit: 1d10 + 6 damage. If you have uses an encounter power already this fight, you gain a +2 to this damage roll. If you have already used a Daily power this day, the bonus to damage is +4 instead. Tarmogoyf uses this power as it’s opportunity attack.

Siege Rhino Assault:
Encounter. Standard Action. Baloth Melee 1
+8 vs. Fortitude: Hit: 1d10 + 6 damage and the target is pushed 2 squares.
Effect: Effect: When you use this power, replace your beast companion with a Large Rhino. It returns to its previous form at the end of your next turn. Any ally adjacent to the Rhino when you use this attack may spend a healing surge.

Behemoth’s Rampage:
Daily. Standard Action. Spirit close burst 2
Make this attack against all enemies within the burst: +8 vs Fortitude: 2d8 + 6 damage.
Effect: Push all creatures within the zone 2 sqares, and replace your beast companion with a Huge behemoth until the end of the encounter. While in this form, you gain a +2 bonus to attack powers that use your beast companion. Enemies adjacent to the Behemoth take a -2 penalty to attack rolls.

Life’s Roar:
Two per encounter. Minor action. Close burst 5 centered on Fauna Shaman. Targets you or one ally.
The target spends a healing surge. One other target adjacent to your beast companion regains 1d6 hit points.

I figure base HP for the "spirit companion" is easier than the core Shaman rules.
HP: 50
Surges: 10
AC: 17
Fort: 16
Will: 19
Uses Tarmo-nate as an OA.s

AC: 22
Fort: 20
Will: 15
Str 20 Con 14 Dex 10 Int 10 Wis 15 Cha 8
Initiative: +2
Speed: 5
Damage Die: 1d8 + 6

Savannah Strike: At-Will. Standard Action. Melee 1.+11 vs AC: Hit: 1d8+ 6 damage and you push a Large or smaller creature 1 square. You may shift into the square that the target occupied.

Taiga’s Grasp: Encounter. Standard Action. Melee 1. +11 vs AC: Hit: 2d8+6 damage and the target is slowed and cannot shift until the end of your next turn.

Sacred Foundry Stance: Daily. Minor Action. Until the end of the encounter, any enemy that starts its turn adjacent to you takes 1d8 fire and radiant damage. This does not mark.

Reliquary Retribution: When Knight of the Reliquary makes an attack roll against an enemy, she may choose to mark that target until the end of her next turn. A creature can only be marked by one character at a time. A creature marked by Knight of the Reliquary takes a -2 penalty to any attack rolls that don’t include her as a target. In addition, whenever an adjacent creature makes an attack roll that does not include Knight of the Reliquary as a target or shifts, she may use Savannah Strike against them as an immediate interrupt.

HP: 54
Surges: 10
AC: 18
Fort: 20
Reflex: 16
Will: 13
Str 20 Con 15 Dex 14 Int 8 Wis 10 Cha 10
Initiative: +2
Speed: 7
Damage Die: 1d10 + 7
Violent Outburst: At-Will. Melee 2. +11 vs AC: 1d10+1d6+7. This power can be used on a charge.

Bituminous Blast: Encounter. Melee 2. +11 vs AC: 2d10+7 damage. If Bloodbraid Elf or the target is bloodied, this attack deals an additional 1d10 damage.

Maelstrom Rage: Daily. Close burst 1. Targets enemies in burst: +11 vs AC: 1d10+7 damage. Effect: Each target takes ongoing 5 damage (save ends). Until the end of the encounter, whenever Bloodbraid Elf hits an enemy, each enemy adjacent to him takes 5 damage.

Cascading Strike: Any time Bloodbraid Elf drops a creature to 0 hit points or scores a critical hit, she may immediately use Violent Outburst and may charge as part of the attack.

Sipping Drinks:
1. Stout and Strong: +1 bonus to AC, Fort, Reflex, and Will.
2. IPSlay: +2 bonus to damage rolls.
3. Fast as Ale: +1 bonus to speed and initiative. (Need a better pun...)

Shots: (Minor Action to use)
1. Firespout: Deals 2d12 fire damage to all creatures in close burst 2.
2. Healing Leaves: You and each ally within 2 squares can spend a healing surge.
3. Flashfreeze: Each enemy within 2 squares of you is immobilized until the end of your next turn.

Monsters/Encounters:

700 XP
4x Memnite: Level 1 Skirmisher Minions 100 XP. Small
1x Master of Etherium: Level 5 Controller/Leader that gets weaker the more minions die. Galvanic Blast. 200 XP (300)
1x Arcbound Ravager: Level 3 Brute 150 XP (450) Large.
2x Vault Skirges: Level 2 Flying Skirmishers. 250 XP (700) Medium.

Memnite: Level 1 Soldier Minion
Small construct
HP: 1
AC 16, Fort 13, Reflex 13, Will 13
Initiative: +4
Speed 5
Traits:
March of the Machines: Enemies adjacent to two or more Memnites grant combat advantage.
Standard Actions:
Pincer: +6 vs AC: 8 damage.

Master of Etherium: Level 5 Controller
Medium construct
HP: 63 Bloodied: 31
AC: 19, Fort 15, Reflex 17, Will 18
Speed 6
Initiative: +6
Traits:
Affinity Aura: Aura 5. Any construct creatures within the zone gain a +1 to attack rolls and defenses.
Standard Actions:
Artificer’s Hex: Melee 1. +8 vs. Fortitude: 2d6+3 psychic damage and the target is dazed (save ends).
Galvanic Blast: Ranged 5 (one creature): 2d8+4 lightning damage.
Galvanic Burst: Recharge (4, 5, 6): Area burst 1 within 10: +8 vs. Reflex: 2d8+4 lightning damage.
Assert Authority: Close blast 3: +8 vs Will: 2d6+3 psychic damage.
Minor Action:
Cranial Plating: (Recharge 5, 6)Targets one other construct within 5 squares. That creature gains a +2 to attack and damage rolls until the end of its next turn and makes a melee basic attack as a free action.

Arcbound Ravager: Level 3 Brute
Large Construct
HP: 56 Bloodied: 28
AC: 15, Fort: 16, Reflex 15, Will 14
Speed 6 Initiative: +3
To Hit: 8
Average Damage: 14
Traits:
Modular Momentum: Whenever a construct creature dies within 3 squares of the Arcbound Ravager, it gains a cumulative +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls.
Standard Actions:
Bite: +6 vs AC: 2d6+5 damage.
Thrash: Close burst 1. Targets enemies. +4 vs Fortitude: 1d6+5 damage.
Free Actions:
Morbid Modular: When Arcbound Ravager dies, it’s bonuses from Modular Momentum transfer to one construct creature within 3 squares.

Vault Skirge: Level 2 Skirmisher
Medium Construct
HP: 39 Bloodied: 19
AC: 16 Fortitude: 13, Reflex: 14, Will 13
Speed: 6 Fly 6 Initiative: +7 To Hit: +7 Damage: 10 Go for two attacks and a minor/move.
Standard Actions:
Vampiric Link: Melee 1: +7 vs AC: 1d10+5 necrotic damage and the Vault Skirge gains 2 temporary hit points.
Swooping Fangs: Recharge (4, 5, 6): The Vault Skirge shifts up to 3 squares, uses Vampiric Link, then shifts up to 3 more squares.
Interrupt:
Batwing Brume: Immediate Reaction. Encounter. Triggers when the Vault Skirge is hit by a melee attack. The Vault Skirge gains resist 5 damage to the triggering attack, shifts 3 squares, and the attacking creature takes 5 necrotic damage.

Splinter Twin: 800
4x Pestermites: Level 1 Skirmisher Minions 100 XP.
2x Deceiver Exarch-Level 3 Controller 300 XP (425)
1x Kiki Jiki-Elite. Level 5 Elite Artillery/Leader. Makes Pestermite Copies or allows Deceiver Exarchs to attack. 400 XP (800)

Pestermite: Level 1 Skirmisher Minion
Small fey
HP: 1
AC 15, Fort 12, Reflex 14, Will 13
Initiative: +5
Fly speed 5
Traits:
Faerie Trickery: Opportunity attack rolls made by enemies adjacent to the Pestermite take a -2 penalty.
Standard Actions:
Needle Blade: +4 vs Reflex: 8 damage.

Deceiver Exarch: Level 3 Controller
Medium aberration
HP: 45 Bloodied: 22
AC 16, Fortitude 15, Reflex 14, Will 16
Speed 6 Initiative: +4
Standard Actions:
Gitaxian Axe: +8 vs AC: 1d6+6 damage.
Gridlock: +6 vs Will: Close blast 3, targets enemies: 1d8+4 psychic damage and the target is dazed until the end of the Deceiver Exarch’s next turn.
Curse of Inertia: (Recharge 4, 5, 6): Ranged 5: One creature. 1d10+5 force damage and the target is knocked prone.
Minor Actions:
Burst of Energy: (Recharge 5, 6): One ally within 5 squares makes a basic attack.

Kiki Jiki, Mirror Breaker: Level 5 Elite Artillery

Fiery Conclusion: Sacrifice a copy to deal damage.
Lightning Bolt:
Splinter Twin:
Act of Betrayal:
Dragonstorm:

Tron: 1000
1x Worm and tokens: Level 2 Brute to Brute and Controller Large and then Medium.(125)
1x Emrakul!: Level 4 Solo Controller. Shows up a couple rounds into the fight. Huge. (875+125=1000)
Consume the Meek: Grab attack.
Pyroclasm Attack
All is Dust:
Not of this World: Allows Emrakul to shake effects.
Skittering Invasion: Makes 5 Eldrazi Spawn.

Hawk7915
2015-12-03, 03:38 PM
This. Sounds. AWESOME!

Your loose ideas for PCs sounds good so far. I think it makes a ton of sense for a one-shot like this to start with a class as the "skeleton" of each character, then staple on some homebrew or stolen features from other classes to make things work and refluff everything.

For Knight of the Reliquary, I know its weird, but what if you used the Monk as your chassis? The full discipline thing could work as the constant "exploring" of new lands. Additionally the Monk is a striker but leans controller, and it that way would balance your party nicely.

Since you'll have numerous new players and they may get a little tipsy, I suggest limited all the players to just 4-5 powers (they'd normally have 8-9 at this level when you consider racials, utilities, and themes). You want to avoid choice paralysis as much as possible and the option to "drink" each round covers a lot of the ground that racials and utility powers would normally provide. I'd also avoid any fiddily bonuses as much as possible (another reason to avoid using a stance-based class for KotR) since it can really bog the game down.

If you want to get really crazy, you could give everyone a "deck" of powers that they draw from all game, rather than having set powers available. Then, you can do a few crazy things to play up each character...

- The Sun Titan can pull Encounter/At-will powers back out of "discard", re-using techniques over and over again to have more consistency.
- The Fauna Shaman can discard powers to search for specific powers, powering up their Tarmogoyf and ensuring they always have the right power for the task.
- The Knight can use their powers for a basic effect and keep them around ("Basic lands"), or destroy them to search for powerful one-shot dailies.
- The Bloodbraid Elf has less cards in hand, but every time they use a "Cascade" power they also get to use another random power from the top of their deck. This can chain reaction if they keep hitting "Cascade" powers.

Hope that helps!

DragonBaneDM
2015-12-08, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the advice! I think I'm going to make the power cards look like MTG cards, which will be fun but also gives me enough room to explain all of the necessary powers.

Originally designed 2 at-wills, 2 encounters, 2 utilities, and 2 dailies for the Sun Titan, but I cut back to 1 each, keeping the 2 utilities as a simplified mark and lay on hands. I think it's easy enough to remember!

Large.

Surges: 12
AC: 21
Fort: 19
Reflex: 14
Will: 16
Initiative: +1
Str: 20 Con: 14 Dex: 8 Int: 10 Wis: 15 Cha: 10
Weapon Die: 1d10 + 6

Sanction Strike:
At-Will. Standard Action. One creature. Melee 2.
+11 vs AC
Hit: 1d10 + 6 damage and the target is subject to your sun’s sanction until the end of your next turn.
Special: When charging you can use this power in place of a melee basic attack.

Righteous Blow:
Encounter. Standard Action. One creature. Melee 2.
+11 vs AC
Hit: 2d10 + 6 damage, and you push the target 2 squares.

Second Sunrise:
Daily. Standard Action. One creature. Melee 2.
+11 vs AC
Hit: 3d10 + 6 damage
Effect: One ally within 5 squares of you can spend a healing surge.

Utilities:
Light of Sanction: At-Will:
Once per turn, as a minor action, you may impose your sun’s sanction on a target. That target is marked. A marked target takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls that do not include you as a target. Until the mark ends, the target takes 5 radiant damage the first time each round it makes an attack that doesn’t include you as a target. Unless noted by a power, this mark ends at the end of your next turn.

Healing Hands At-Will (2/Day):
Minor Action.
Melee 2. One creature.
Useable 2 times per day.
You spend a healing surge but regain no hit points. Instead, the target regains hit points as if it had spent a healing surge. You must have at least one healing surge remaining to use this power.

windgate
2015-12-15, 11:44 AM
Ya'll are going to get drunk. Its a pretty safe bet any memory of rules or "stats" will go out the window after the first two hours.

With that in mind, the rules (and powers) need to be extremely simple and limited in number or setup visually.

I second the idea of a draw pile of powers. Create a single stack of power cards that the players create a hand from. When they use one of these cards for an attack, it is discarded and they draw another one. Even better if you can make the powers similar to d&D yet goofy/strange. In addition each player has two to three fixed powers they can use instead of a drawn power (and don't discard) but have limited usage (Encounter and daily powers).

I would find a way to make the work without paper and pencils since transporting everything might become problematic that night. Also in keeping the complexity down (remember, getting the groom drunk is sometimes the goal of a bachelor party) you need to eliminate any statistics you can.

If you can, create either a peice or paper (or better yet draw a card) that contains the following for each character and monster.

Hit points (keep it small)
1 - 2 Defense stats (maybe just use AC and WIllpower)
Name
1 -2 Special Abilities/Features

You can combine things further but putting the looted treasure on the monster "card" itself. The player that kill the monster gets to use or do whatever the "treasure" line says on the card.

Or you could just play munchkin......

DragonBaneDM
2015-12-16, 08:00 AM
Or you could just play munchkin......

DEATH FIRST!

But seriously, I like these ideas, but I wanna keep it DnD at heart so that I (the sober one) will be able to make corrections as needed. Plus these guys all know how to play, and a few of them aren't big drinkers, so they'll be fineeeeee.

Oh, I HAVE finished a large number of monster statistics (I'm about halfway there!), AND every single PC, so I'll update the OP later today!