PDA

View Full Version : Thread Ending Comments

8BitNinja
2015-12-03, 01:27 PM
Every thread will come to an end, someday, this forum will be history, we know that, so we make the most out of this by posting things that act for a cataclysm for that day.

Face it, we have done it, I have done it too, many times, made a comment that probably stopped the conversation.

Have you ever done this act? If you remember the comment, post it here, that is if it does not go against the forum rules.

Ravens_cry
2015-12-03, 03:00 PM
A recent example is a thread on "Gender in DND" (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?464200-Gender-in-DND&p=20125761#post20125761). It looked really neat, was already at two pages and I posted my own two cents worth, and . . . nothing, zilch, nada.

I think it could be something interesting explore, as long as all players are on-board with it.
Something that tends to be forgotten is that men also usually had 'place' in society, that was pretty much as regimented as a woman's 'place'.
A man might be thought to no more likely to be, say, a weaver than to be a mother!*
Also, I think you can do much more things with sexism than to show a baddie is bad.
It can also broaden out ostensibly good, but a little conservative characters. Say you get a contract from a king to kill a giant, and when you come back with the giant's head, he asks who gave the killing blow, and when the female fighter steps forward, he has to come to terms with this clashing with his world view. Or you could have a priestess, who you go to to get healed, scolding the female party members for getting hurt and the male ones for letting females get hurt. Maybe an ordinary inn-keeper is scandalized by a male magic user, and is reluctant to serve him in the public room.
As long as everyone is OK with it, I think you can do far more interesting and nuanced things than FATAL ever even dreamed!
I mean, the bar's pretty damn <expletive redacted/> low!

*Yes, I get the double irony of that with transmen who keep their XX rated plumbing intact.

Haruki-kun
2015-12-03, 04:51 PM
Yeah, I make posts that put an end to the conversation sometimes. But I'm not sure if it's what you were thinking of. :smallconfused:

DataNinja
2015-12-03, 04:56 PM
Yeah, I make posts that put an end to the conversation sometimes. But I'm not sure if it's what you were thinking of. :smallconfused:

Well, you and your colleagues certainly have a way with words... :smallbiggrin:

Grinner
2015-12-03, 04:58 PM
I'm afraid I share the angel's confusion. Are you talking about comments intended to shut down discussion, possibly by trying to out-logic or shout down someone else? Or are you talking about the well-meaning comments that seem to kill threads?

8BitNinja
2015-12-03, 05:01 PM

A MOD HAS SPOKEN ON ONE OF MY THREADS :smallsmile::smallsmile::smallsmile::smallsmile::s mallsmile:

Anyway, that would count too, especially since that's ending a thread
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In one of threads that I started, Sci-Fi Wizard replacement (check it out if something like that interests you guys) and I said something along the lines of "hey guys, this is derailing" and no one has posted, it ususally gets a post every hour or so, but now it isn't so I'm pretty sure I ended it

Unless one of you guys want to say something

8BitNinja
2015-12-04, 01:24 PM
A MOD HAS SPOKEN ON ONE OF MY THREADS :smallsmile::smallsmile::smallsmile::smallsmile::s mallsmile:

Anyway, that would count too, especially since that's ending a thread
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In one of threads that I started, Sci-Fi Wizard replacement (check it out if something like that interests you guys) and I said something along the lines of "hey guys, this is derailing" and no one has posted, it ususally gets a post every hour or so, but now it isn't so I'm pretty sure I ended it

Unless one of you guys want to say something

Look at this, a thread ending comment

Red Fel
2015-12-04, 01:32 PM
Thread-ending comments, eh?

Alright. I'm game. Teach me how. This is a superpower I think I'd like.

Fact is, I don't think any of my comments have ever actually ended a thread. Be nice if they could, though; I can think of a lot of threads that go well past their sell-by date. But for whatever reason, I'm just so brilliantly inspired an individual that whatever I say just seems to make a thread go on for another several pages or so.
Gauntlet thrown. Now we wait.

8BitNinja
2015-12-04, 01:42 PM
Thread-ending comments, eh?

Alright. I'm game. Teach me how. This is a superpower I think I'd like.

Fact is, I don't think any of my comments have ever actually ended a thread. Be nice if they could, though; I can think of a lot of threads that go well past their sell-by date. But for whatever reason, I'm just so brilliantly inspired an individual that whatever I say just seems to make a thread go on for another several pages or so.
Gauntlet thrown. Now we wait.

First, you must empty your mind, but only of the smart things to say
Next, apply the most stupid and not funny comment you can think of onto a post
You have brought a thread down in flames

2015-12-04, 01:44 PM
Sadly I can't claim credit for this line, butI imagine it would end a thread with the right context:

"Yeah? Well that's why your mom's in a wheelchair!"

This is apparently the way some people talk to other people.

Red Fel
2015-12-04, 01:49 PM
This is apparently the way some people talk to other people.

It's funny that you call them "people."

2015-12-04, 02:06 PM
It's funny that you call them "people."

Well, according to the source (who I should mention was a comedian), this was children having a fight, as part of a sketch where he referred to children in general as "tiny little Hitlers".

Red Fel
2015-12-04, 02:08 PM
Well, according to the source (who I should mention was a comedian), this was children having a fight, as part of a sketch where he referred to children in general as "tiny little Hitlers".

See, this is funny, because I have a very young nephew, and that comparison is quite inept.

He is neither tiny nor terribly little. I, however, am a terrible uncle.

8BitNinja
2015-12-04, 02:16 PM
Back from lunch

These are all great examples of thread ending comments, congratulations young padawans, you are taking your first step into a larger world

2015-12-04, 03:30 PM
True enough, true enough.

8BitNinja
2015-12-04, 05:41 PM
There is a faster way to make a thread ending comment, which is to break the rules, however I do not recommend this, since it stirs the wrath of the admins

do NOT do that if you wish to live with all your limbs intact

Red Fel
2015-12-04, 06:32 PM
There is a faster way to make a thread ending comment, which is to break the rules, however I do not recommend this, since it stirs the wrath of the admins

do NOT do that if you wish to live with all your limbs intact

Another way appears to be deliberately making comments after other people have, in a manner that does not invite further discussion on the point, in hopes that no further comment will ensue.

Not that I'd ever accuse anybody in this thread of doing that, of course.

2015-12-04, 08:24 PM
I dunno, sounds almost contrived.

thirsting
2015-12-05, 03:33 AM
Blatant bigotry sometimes does this. If I ever am guilty of it, I wish someone would challenge me for it instead of letting the thread die in awkward silence.

Peelee
2015-12-05, 11:03 AM
See, this is funny, because I have a very young nephew, and that comparison is quite inept.

He is neither tiny nor terribly little. I, however, am a terrible uncle.

Specific beats general. That's, like, the first rule of anything. D&D, card games, science, what have you.

Kids, in general, are like little Hitlers.
Cats, in general, will eat dry cat food.
Fluids, in general, are Newtonian.

There are always going to be exceptions. That's why "in general" doesn't mean "always and in every case."

8BitNinja
2015-12-05, 08:31 PM
Things like, "you know I loved it when Belkar used sexist comments, he was my favorite character then" will probably shut down a forum while not getting you banned

Pyrous
2015-12-05, 11:12 PM
Specific beats general. That's, like, the first rule of anything. D&D, card games, science, what have you.

Kids, in general, are like little Hitlers.
Cats, in general, will eat dry cat food.
Fluids, in general, are Newtonian.

There are always going to be exceptions. That's why "in general" doesn't mean "always and in every case."

Note that Red Fel's nephew are not little Hitlers because they are not tiny, not because they are not evil. Which, coming from Red Fel, I totally believe it.

2015-12-05, 11:31 PM
Explaining the joke is generally considered to ruin it, but this is Red Fel's joke, so it still works.

Red Fel
2015-12-06, 01:18 PM
Explaining the joke is generally considered to ruin it, but this is Red Fel's joke, so it still works.

Still works? Still works?!

http://i.imgur.com/FbY8H6P.gif

2015-12-06, 05:13 PM

Because if the Joker is arguing it, you know it's got to be a flawless, reasonable, logical argument.

Pyrous
2015-12-06, 05:51 PM
Oh, it's thread ending comments. My bad.

I didn't had to explain it, though...

The Succubus
2015-12-06, 06:49 PM
The ultimate thread ending comment is usually Locked as lovingly supplied by our friendly neighbourhood mind contr-, er, moderator team. :smalltongue:

DataNinja
2015-12-06, 07:08 PM

The ultimate thread ending comment is usually Locked as lovingly supplied by our friendly neighbourhood mind contr-, er, moderator team. :smalltongue:

You mean as mentioned above by our friendly neighbourhood... team. :smallbiggrin:

8BitNinja
2015-12-06, 10:26 PM
You mean as mentioned above by our friendly neighbourhood... team. :smallbiggrin:

Remember, the Mods are watching everything you do

DataNinja
2015-12-06, 10:42 PM
Remember, the Mods are watching everything you do

Psshhh, I can't possibly have done any thing to warrant me disappeari

8BitNinja
2015-12-06, 11:08 PM
Psshhh, I can't possibly have done any thing to warrant me disappeari

Solid Snake: Is this conversation being recorded by the Military
Gun Store Owner: It is now

sktarq
2015-12-12, 02:55 PM
Pretty easy and often and almost never on purpose.

Mostly in Roleplaying and Worldbuilding subforums just by asking what the OP was trying to get done with their original idea. The concept of mental work seemed to scare them off.

Mascara
2015-12-15, 08:30 PM
My bad english ended many threads.

8BitNinja
2015-12-16, 09:43 AM
Mea Culpa ends so many threads

I would tell you what that is, but it is against the rules :smallbiggrin:

Don't taze me mods

Domino Quartz
2015-12-16, 02:35 PM
I may have recently ended a thread in the OotS forum with pedantic nitpicking.

8BitNinja
2015-12-16, 02:38 PM
I ended a thread for saying something, someone saying that they were mildly offended, and then I removed it

DataNinja
2015-12-16, 03:49 PM
Mea Culpa ends so many threads

So does thread Necromancy. I don't know why so many people seem to invest in that Prestige Class...

8BitNinja
2015-12-16, 05:32 PM
A good thread ending comment is to just speak about all the people and behaviors you don't like

Fable Wright
2015-12-16, 10:33 PM
I appear to have a habit of these in the roleplaying games forum. In my experience, all you need to do is post a complete idea that answers the OP, but is not what the OP is looking for. Usually 2-3 paragraphs in length, answers the question thoroughly, but is not so long that it invites further discussion nor contains actively wrong facts. Posts die out near-immediately as they wait for the OP to say how well it works, but the OP never replies. Thread quietly passes under the radar unless stubborn individual(s) keep it alive.

Killer Angel
2015-12-17, 07:06 AM
I don't think you can make a comment (within the forum rules) that can effectively stop an active debate.
It simply happens that your comment was the last one in an already dying thread....

Peelee
2015-12-17, 02:42 PM
I don't think you can make a comment (within the forum rules) that can effectively stop an active debate.
It simply happens that your comment was the last one in an already dying thread....

Of course you can. I can think of 2 offhand.

"You're right."
"I quit."

Flickerdart
2015-12-17, 02:45 PM
Of course you can. I can think of 2 offhand.

"You're right."
"Of course I am, and furthermore..."

"I quit."
"You're just leaving because you won't accept that I'm right about..."

Also, arguments on these boards typically unfurl fractally - someone makes a statement, another person takes issue with a part of it, a third person takes issue with a part of the issue, etc. Resolving the current topic just means the argument then skips forward to the next point of contention.

8BitNinja
2015-12-17, 06:07 PM

Also, arguments on these boards typically unfurl fractally - someone makes a statement, another person takes issue with a part of it, a third person takes issue with a part of the issue, etc. Resolving the current topic just means the argument then skips forward to the next point of contention.

Call them a name and you win

DataNinja
2015-12-17, 07:03 PM
Call them a name and you win

You're right. :smalltongue:

Disclaimer: The views held in this post may or may not be the views endorsed by Dark Shadow.

Pyrous
2015-12-17, 07:52 PM
You're right. :smalltongue:

Disclaimer: The views held in this post may or may not be the views endorsed by Dark Shadow.

Of course he is right, how could one possibly disagree with him.

Let me guess, now you're gonna quit. Guess what, you're only quitting 'cause you won't accept that he's right.

@8BitNinja: If you call them a name you lose, by default, you name.

Disclaimer: Blue is sarcasm and may or may not be endorsed by Pyrous.

ben-zayb
2015-12-17, 09:24 PM
Not on this forum specifically, but some threads with a topic of "Rate my <pokemon team / wizard build / etc>" might as well be thread suicide, which is a subset of Beaten-to-death Thread Topics that usually ends by linking multiple previous threads about them.

Also, posts to the effect of "My question has already been answered. Please lock this thread, mods." Also, the 1500th posts or so are often thread-ending in this forum.

8BitNinja
2015-12-18, 09:44 AM
Mention a VERY controversial topics involving both politics and religion is like pouring gasoline on a fire next to 500 lbs C4 combined withabouts 20-30 sticks of Dynamite

It's bad mkay
(Read the last part in Mr. Mackey's voice

Peelee
2015-12-18, 01:40 PM

Yeah, you're right.:smallbiggrin:

8BitNinja
2015-12-18, 04:38 PM
I see this all the time in real life

It's right because I say so

Flickerdart
2015-12-18, 04:49 PM
Yeah, you're right.:smallbiggrin:

And yet the thread goes on. :smallbiggrin:

Amazon
2015-12-18, 09:24 PM
Is it just me or this thread will go on forever since everyone want to do the last comment on a thread about last comments? This is like the opposite of the "first" thing. Hahaha typical.

Killer Angel
2015-12-19, 02:04 AM
Now that i think on it, once i've made a comment that put the thread to end.
It was "we have reached 50 pages. I've opened the new thread here ( link)" :smalltongue:

8BitNinja
2015-12-21, 11:11 PM
I ask people to get back on topic

And it's gone

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2016-01-11, 11:54 PM
My secret is to post on a thread way after all the discussion has been resolved and no one cares anymore.

Fable Wright
2016-01-12, 12:17 AM
My secret is to post on a thread way after all the discussion has been resolved and no one cares anymore.

This can be problematic when it draws new interest, though.

Misery Esquire
2016-01-12, 12:54 AM

~gif~

But now the "explaining the joke kills the joke" joke has been explained, killing it? Or does an explanation on how explaining explaining a joke kills it not loop infinitely into dead jokes?

What has science comedy done.

8BitNinja
2016-01-12, 01:26 PM
I just committed thread suicide

check out my one on artificial intelligence in the Role Playing Game section

Bulldog Psion
2016-01-14, 05:46 PM
My humorous alternate plot for the Force Awakens, ending with a rancor taking a dump on JJ Abrams' cameo-role character, seemed to end the "Who is Rey" thread fairly effectively. And I definitely wasn't intending it to. :smalleek:

Either that, or the thread just ran out of steam at the same time I posted it (the more likely possibility, actually).

8BitNinja
2016-01-27, 01:37 PM
I almost ended this thread

and for some reason, when I say that it might be dead, it comes back

This thread is in a groundhog day loop

2016-01-27, 02:03 PM
We all want to be the one to end this thread...unfortunately, I think the only one who will get that pleasure is one of the mods, even if it takes another 10 years to get that far.

8BitNinja
2016-02-11, 01:27 PM
We all want to be the one to end this thread...unfortunately, I think the only one who will get that pleasure is one of the mods, even if it takes another 10 years to get that far.

You aren't ending this, I just commented

2016-02-12, 01:13 AM
You aren't ending this, I just commented

This is the song that never ends...

8BitNinja
2016-02-12, 09:41 AM
This is the song that never ends...

Can't let you do that Star Fox

2016-02-12, 03:46 PM
Can't let you do that Star Fox

...it just goes on and on, my friends...

Twelvetrees
2016-02-17, 08:34 PM
Speaking of thread-ending comments, I think I'm doing rather well with the Bumpitty Bump thread in Message Board Games. I can't help but feel that this thread shares some familiar traits with that one...

8BitNinja
2016-02-18, 09:44 AM
I think I might have ended my own thread, it was titled I hate Undertale, and it got locked.

I think it was for my hyperbole

2016-03-07, 03:51 PM
Finally found it. It didn't seem that hyperbolic to me...but then, I've never played Undertale, so maybe I'd be more upset by your opinion on it if I had any investment in the game.

Razade
2016-03-07, 04:03 PM
I think I might have ended my own thread, it was titled I hate Undertale, and it got locked.

I think it was for my hyperbole

No it was an extended curse filled rant that closed it.

8BitNinja
2016-03-07, 07:31 PM
No it was an extended curse filled rant that closed it.

So it wasn't me?

*sigh of relief*

2016-03-07, 08:48 PM
So it wasn't me?

*sigh of relief*

Without looking at the thread to check, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it was actually a mod that closed it, rather than a rant. Still not your fault, though.

8BitNinja
2016-03-07, 11:36 PM
I really thought I did something there, I'm glad.I didn't

Roland St. Jude
2016-03-07, 11:41 PM
Sheriff: Okay, this has evolved into a message board game. Please take such impulses over there.