PDA

View Full Version : Kobold minions in Star Wars

RickAllison
2015-12-03, 03:09 PM
Exactly as in the title, I am interested in exploring more tactical and devious enemies for my players in our Edge of the Empire/Age of Rebellion game. Enemies that even my non-combat players can take down so I can have the party be split apart, enemies that challenge them by making the players think and plan. In short, I need kobolds. However, kobolds do not exist within Star Wars canon, and so I am looking for substitute factions, species, archetypes within the universe that can be cast in a similar role.

One idea I have is pit droids, the weird little mechanics who work in groups. They are individually weak, but have the mechanical know-how to implement a cunning series of traps. However, I would like ideas for other groups that are also inclined toward this sort of strategy. Thank you.

BWR
2015-12-03, 03:24 PM
Sounds like an aggressive band of Jawas to me.

Take a look at Blizz from TOR.

Knaight
2015-12-03, 05:06 PM
If Republic Commando is at all indicative of the broader Star Wars canon, Trandoshians work perfectly for this. The Trandoshian elites also let you work in the occasional "boss" type creature.

Keltest
2015-12-03, 05:13 PM
If Republic Commando is at all indicative of the broader Star Wars canon, Trandoshians work perfectly for this. The Trandoshian elites also let you work in the occasional "boss" type creature.

Trandoshans are a bit tough individually for what he's going for, unfortunately.

Spore
2015-12-03, 05:19 PM
Ugnaughts might work as well although they're closer to Tinker Gnomes than Kobolds. Sand People could be the bad-ass version of kobolds (mixed with competent orcs).

RickAllison
2015-12-03, 07:24 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I especially like the idea of the Jawas.

Trandoshans don't work well for this challenge now, but I like the thought. It would be a good ambush for the players once they are stronger so they remain threatened. Might actually be fun to set up an event like that episode in The Clone Wars where Ahsoka was kidnapped... :sabine:

AMFV
2015-12-03, 07:39 PM
To be fair the Star Wars universe is diverse enough, and big enough, that you could directly port the Kobolds. I mean if they can have walking teddy bears. Then evil Lizards (or dog-men, depending on edition) should be fine. The same kinds of the things that make Kobolds so irritating in D&D could certainly still apply, and the addition of better tech for them to scavenge is a big advantage.

RickAllison
2015-12-04, 12:32 AM
To be fair the Star Wars universe is diverse enough, and big enough, that you could directly port the Kobolds. I mean if they can have walking teddy bears. Then evil Lizards (or dog-men, depending on edition) should be fine. The same kinds of the things that make Kobolds so irritating in D&D could certainly still apply, and the addition of better tech for them to scavenge is a big advantage.

Tucker's Kobolds with thermal detonators and light-buzzsaws...

MeeposFire
2015-12-04, 12:42 AM
Noghri? They are smallish characters but are very skilled with ambushes and tools and are probably excellent with traps. Could be a good fit.

Kid Jake
2015-12-04, 02:15 AM
I'd go with Ewoks. They're already vicious, conniving little bastards; give them some time to loot and prepare and they could be terrifying.

Sredni Vashtar
2015-12-04, 06:41 AM

This reminds me of the short Star Wars game I ran where the PCs came across a Beholder ship.