PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Channel Focused Cleric Build Advice Wanted

Cranthis
2015-12-03, 05:22 PM
Before we get into this, I want to say that this is more of a fun build. I want to make it as good as possible, of course, but I don't want to compromise the focus of it.
So first, the build, which I will be creating at level 11:

Abilities, 25 point buy: Str: 12, Dex: 10, Con: 13, Int: 10, Wis: 16, Cha: 16
Alignment: Neutral
Race: Aasimar, both by necessity for feats and for great cleric stats. By replacing the spell like ability, I can get an additional +2 to a stat. For this build, its going to be Charisma.
After racial and level adjustments, the stats will be: Str: 12, Dex: 10, Con: 13, Int: 10, Wis: 18, Cha: 20
Class levels in order: Cleric 5, Envoy of Balance 6
Traits will be Exalted of Society, or Sacred conduit, and whatever else I feel like, or you guys recommend.
Feats:
1: Selective Channel
3: Channel Force, you can choose to channel at a single target. A failed save means I get to push or pull them 5 feet for every 2d6 of channeling.
-This means that I can move allies who accept my healing at need. Enemies as well, if moving them is worth healing them. Perhaps off a cliff.
5: Versatile Channeler, Channel both Positive and Negative energy. Whichever you didn't start with is at -2 level.
-And now I can do some damage and move enemies.
7: Improved Channel Force, as channel force, but I can do all creatures in a 60 foot line or 30 foot cone.
-As above but more people.
9: Improved Channel, +2 to dc's for channeling effects. My channel force gets harder to resist.
11: Greater Channel Force, I can now channel force at everyone in the standard 60 foot burst.
-This completes the chain and allows me to affect more people. All of the ways to Channel force start getting really fun with the Envoy of Balance class features.
If the character gets to level 13, I will be taking Fateful Channeler. After that, Extra Channel will probably fill in.

Important Class Features:
Cleric: Spell casting is always important. Most of my spells will be various buffs for the party. My lower-than-normal Wisdom makes debuffing less of an option, unless the spell is a touch, no save, affect. I'll try and find a few of these too.
Channeling is the base of this build, and thus the most important ability. With Envoy of Balance (more about this below) I'll be able to channel Positive and Negative energy.
Envoy of Balance: At second level of this class, I get an ability called Spiritual Equilibrium. Envoy levels count as cleric for all things channeling. It also causes Versatile channeling to let you channel Positive or Negative at full, instead of one at -2. At 4th level of the class, I get Twinned Channeling. This lets you channel Positive and Negative at the same time. Your level counts as 2 lower for damage and DC when you do this. If you have Selective channeling you can choose different people for the Positive than for the Negative. Combine this with the various forms of Channel Force, and things start to get really fun with pushing and pulling.

So that's that. What do you guys think I can do better? Any advice on spells to choose? Constructive Criticism is always welcome.

Geddy2112
2015-12-04, 01:28 AM
Looks solid- I would pick a good selection of buff and utility spells. Never prepare cure spells obviously. Summon spells are always good choices, as well as protection from alignment and blessings of fervor.

Channel surge is a good feat for when you really need to turn on the juice.

What deity are you looking into? Some of the channeling feats are deity specific, and very useful. Fateful channel, forceful channel, liberation channel, seductive channel, siphon channel, and steelskin channel are the best. They are deity specific though, so pick the one that corresponds to your deity. If none do, I strongly suggest worshiping one of those deities, so long as you can get the domains you want.

Cranthis
2015-12-04, 01:47 AM
I was actually picking out spells when I saw your reply. I am indeed going with buff and utility spells. I'm worshiping Pharasma, so Fateful channel will be a feat to take. Channel surge looks great, and I might take it before I take Fateful.

Lemonblu
2015-12-04, 08:30 AM
This looks like a fun build; will have to keep an eye on this thread in case my current cleric kicks it.

Florian
2015-12-04, 08:43 AM
The idea itself is nice and has a good flavour to it. Personally, I wouldn't use it as presented because the cleric has way more options than channeling and I don't see this extreme reliance on a very limited class feature to be good or helpful.

Geddy2112
2015-12-04, 10:09 AM
I was actually picking out spells when I saw your reply. I am indeed going with buff and utility spells. I'm worshiping Pharasma, so Fateful channel will be a feat to take. Channel surge looks great, and I might take it before I take Fateful.

All good choices-a dual energy channeler fits Pharasma very nicely, and she has some decent domains. I would pick knowledge as one of them to give you more utility. Death and repose are similar and a good second choice. Water is not terrible, and healing is redundant in a channel focused build.

Florian
2015-12-04, 10:17 AM
I'd actually switch gods from Pharasme to Nethys. The dual-channeling is much better supported here.

Geddy2112
2015-12-04, 10:34 AM
I'd actually switch gods from Pharasme to Nethys. The dual-channeling is much better supported here.

Mechanically, neither god provides any specific feats, items, etc to better support channeling positive and negative energy. Fluffwise, both gods support channeling of positive and negative energy for various reasons. Nethys could arguably have slightly better domains, but this has nothing to do with dual channeling.

Florian
2015-12-04, 11:11 AM
Mechanically, neither god provides any specific feats, items, etc to better support channeling positive and negative energy. Fluffwise, both gods support channeling of positive and negative energy for various reasons. Nethys could arguably have slightly better domains, but this has nothing to do with dual channeling.

Just came home and have my books at hand right now. Actually, you're right. I missremembered an crucial thing here: The dual-naturwd stuff I was thinking about is mainly geared towards wizards.

Cranthis
2015-12-04, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the support and advice guys.

The idea itself is nice and has a good flavour to it. Personally, I wouldn't use it as presented because the cleric has way more options than channeling and I don't see this extreme reliance on a very limited class feature to be good or helpful.

You say extreme reliance, but there are very few things that are not affected by the channeling. The only thing I can think of is constructs, but I can always get an item to change that. In the case that for some reason I don't want or need to do decent damage, heal the party, and reposition people all at the same time, I still have a whole bunch of utility and buff spells to fall back on. Also, I'm still a cleric. If all else fails, I can poke with a spear.

Psyren
2015-12-04, 01:33 PM
Ability Focus (Channel Energy) will give you an additional +1 DC.

Channel Ray from RTT will focus your channel on one target; despite the name, it doesn't require a ranged touch attack, and it increases the DC by an additional +2.

Improved Channel, Ability Focus and Channel Ray will all stack for a +5 DC against one target.

Cranthis
2015-12-04, 01:52 PM
Ability Focus (Channel Energy) will give you an additional +1 DC.

Channel Ray from RTT will focus your channel on one target; despite the name, it doesn't require a ranged touch attack, and it increases the DC by an additional +2.

Improved Channel, Ability Focus and Channel Ray will all stack for a +5 DC against one target.

The feat description says it requires a ranged touch attack against a single unwilling target. However, if I combine this with channel force, it reduces the range but removes the touch attack.

Florian
2015-12-04, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the support and advice guys.

You say extreme reliance, but there are very few things that are not affected by the channeling. The only thing I can think of is constructs, but I can always get an item to change that. In the case that for some reason I don't want or need to do decent damage, heal the party, and reposition people all at the same time, I still have a whole bunch of utility and buff spells to fall back on. Also, I'm still a cleric. If all else fails, I can poke with a spear.

Don't get me wrong here. I'm actually a big fan of channeling and think it is a thing that ususally gets undervalued due to its unpredictive nature.
Your example build sinks a great deal of ressources (feats and PB) into it, but there are no synergies there that I can see. By your attribute spread, you even stunt your regular spellcasting in favour of channeling and your direct combat values look pretty meh, very uncommon for a PB25 build.
So you have your basic three ressources, channel, spell, weapon and they don't really mesh at all.

Psyren
2015-12-04, 02:13 PM
The feat description says it requires a ranged touch attack against a single unwilling target. However, if I combine this with channel force, it reduces the range but removes the touch attack.

Whoops, sorry, I forgot that it requires a touch attack against an enemy but not an ally.

There are items that boost channeling too, like the Phylacteries.

Cranthis
2015-12-04, 02:16 PM
Don't get me wrong here. I'm actually a big fan of channeling and think it is a thing that ususally gets undervalued due to its unpredictive nature.
Your example build sinks a great deal of ressources (feats and PB) into it, but there are no synergies there that I can see. By your attribute spread, you even stunt your regular spellcasting in favour of channeling and your direct combat values look pretty meh, very uncommon for a PB25 build.
So you have your basic three resources, channel, spell, weapon and they don't really mesh at all.

Well, like I said in the beginning, it is just a fun build I want it to be good, but I don't want to take away from the channeling focus. When I said my spellcasting will be stunted, I mostly meant that my dc's will be lower than possible. But most of my spells are going to buffs and utility, where saves don't come into play.

Florian
2015-12-04, 02:24 PM
Well, like I said in the beginning, it is just a fun build I want it to be good, but I don't want to take away from the channeling focus. When I said my spellcasting will be stunted, I mostly meant that my dc's will be lower than possible. But most of my spells are going to buffs and utility, where saves don't come into play.

How about this: Switch to Human, Oracle (Life mystery), pick VMC Cleric and have a go at it? Double the channeling, better DCs.

Cranthis
2015-12-04, 02:44 PM
Whoops, sorry, I forgot that it requires a touch attack against an enemy but not an ally.

There are items that boost channeling too, like the Phylacteries.
I found those, and I will be buying both, for whichever I feel I need more of for the situation. Or I may convince my dm to let me do them as wrists/ankles. I ran out of money, buying other important things, or I'd get the brick that lets you do constructs. I might lower a couple of +1's on magic items to get it anyways.

How about this: Switch to Human, Oracle (Life mystery), pick VMC Cleric and have a go at it? Double the channeling, better DCs.

The VMC Cleric, which I just looked up and read about, is really neat, it does the exact thing I don't want it to. It takes away from the channeling. I really really don't need great spell saves. I'm going to be buffing and utilitying with spells. I'm not sure how many times we can tell eachother the same exact thing. I do appreciate the advice though.

Florian
2015-12-04, 03:18 PM
We're just focusing on different aspects of the same thing, that's all. I understood you the first time around, not a problem, but my thoughts go on how to squeeze more out of that much needed Cha.

Second Arrow
2015-12-04, 03:23 PM
I found those, and I will be buying both, for whichever I feel I need more of for the situation. Or I may convince my dm to let me do them as wrists/ankles. I ran out of money, buying other important things, or I'd get the brick that lets you do constructs. I might lower a couple of +1's on magic items to get it anyways.

The VMC Cleric, which I just looked up and read about, is really neat, it does the exact thing I don't want it to. It takes away from the channeling. I really really don't need great spell saves. I'm going to be buffing and utilitying with spells. I'm not sure how many times we can tell eachother the same exact thing. I do appreciate the advice though.

Another option would be the Spirit Guide (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/oracle/archetypes/paizo---oracle-archetypes/spirit-guide) Oracle archetype - If you pick up the Life spirit, you get two channel pools at L7 - with no investment beyond the archetype itself. Might be worth considering?

Cranthis
2015-12-04, 03:45 PM
We're just focusing on different aspects of the same thing, that's all. I understood you the first time around, not a problem, but my thoughts go on how to squeeze more out of that much needed Cha.
I understand that. I used to play 3.5, and squeezing the most of things was all I would do. But lately I've become less power gamey, and more trying to make fun ideas work well.

Another option would be the Spirit Guide (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/oracle/archetypes/paizo---oracle-archetypes/spirit-guide) Oracle archetype - If you pick up the Life spirit, you get two channel pools at L7 - with no investment beyond the archetype itself. Might be worth considering?

Take a look at this Florian. This would probably work best as an alternative, but its too late, for today at least. I'm currently sitting down and waiting for the other players to get set up. I'll be able to change the character after the session if I'm unhappy, in which case I'll need to look more closely into what Florian has been saying.