PDA

View Full Version : Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice New Trailer

Zmeoaice
2015-12-03, 06:29 PM
I think I'll make this thread to specifically talk about the new trailer for Batman v Superman v Wonder Woman v Zuckerberg v Cave Troll: Dawn of the Justice of the Apes.

Overall I think it looks like garbage. The introduction was just ham-fisted and groan worthy. They have the civilian alter-ego play the superhero alter-ego.

Jesse Eisenberg is just terrible.

They basically tell us the whole story. Act 1- Batman and Superman Meet, Act 2- They fight, Act 2- Zuckerberg creates Zombie Ninja Turtle and Batman and Superman and Wonder Woman (and Aquaman and Cyborg and the Powerpuff Girls) team up to fight it.

Overall I don't mind Battfleck's performance, he had me the most impressed. However the whole "Durr hurr Daily Planet says good things about Superman" is pretty dumb considering Superman doesn't brand his logo on people.

If this doesn't get 80%+ on Rotten Tomatoes, I'll pass.

HardcoreD&Dgirl
2015-12-03, 06:57 PM
I am fan girling so much it isn't even funny... This might just be the best trailer I have ever seen
Overall I think it looks like garbage. The introduction was just ham-fisted and groan worthy. They have the civilian alter-ego play the superhero alter-ego. seemed to me like it was a nice scean.

Jesse Eisenberg is just terrible.
in general, or do you mean as luther?

They basically tell us the whole story. so did the name of the movie... I mean was there ever a doubt that X vs Y dawn of Z meant act 1 intro, act 2 fight, act 3 come togather against the common foe...

Overall I don't mind Battfleck's performance, he had me the most impressed. However the whole "Durr hurr Daily Planet says good things about Superman" is pretty dumb considering Superman doesn't brand his logo on people.
I love some of Ben's more recent roles (Gone girl, and Argo made me think he could be the best batman yet)

I don't go by rotten tomatoes, but you couldn't pay me not to go...

Doomsday looks OKish, I hope that he evolves on screen
Alfried telling bruce it's suicide is awesome...
Wonder woman saving both of them made me jump up and sceam...

The best though was at the party "Maybe it's the Gotham in me, we haven't had a lot of luck with crazy people dressed like clowns"

Marvel is going to make an entire movie out of all the characters going to war, DC is making a movie about two heroes from different worlds having a miss understanding then turning to face the biggest threat we have seen yet...

Anteros
2015-12-03, 07:51 PM

He does write for the Planet, and I'm sure Batman knows that.

Seppl
2015-12-03, 09:30 PM
so did the name of the movie... I mean was there ever a doubt that X vs Y dawn of Z meant act 1 intro, act 2 fight, act 3 come togather against the common foe...

The big difference is: Now we know the why, where, who and how of all these plot points.

Did anyone else think "Look, it's a cave troll!"?

HardcoreD&Dgirl
2015-12-03, 09:38 PM
The big difference is: Now we know the why, where, who and how of all these plot points.

Did anyone else think "Look, it's a cave troll!"?

why... luther
WHere... ok you got me there
how... not seeing it...

and no I saw doomsday

theNater
2015-12-04, 11:42 AM
Marvel is going to make an entire movie out of all the characters going to war, DC is making a movie about two heroes from different worlds having a miss understanding then turning to face the biggest threat we have seen yet...
This kind of crystallizes why I'm more excited about Civil War than Batman v. Superman. In Civil War, there is no misunderstanding. Iron Man and Cap are each fully aware of what the other wants and believes, and they both have all the same information. The have a legitimate difference of opinion that can't be resolved with words, and due to circumstances can't just be ignored.

Batman and Superman, on the other hand, are having a misunderstanding. The world's greatest detective, who has honed his craft through decades of practical experience, and a man who can literally see through things are getting into a big brawl over something that they could figure out if they'd just sit down together and talk it over like grown-ups. It makes them seem stupid and childish.

That's the sense I'm getting from the promotional materials, at least.

HardcoreD&Dgirl
2015-12-04, 11:49 AM
This kind of crystallizes why I'm more excited about Civil War than Batman v. Superman. In Civil War, there is no misunderstanding. Iron Man and Cap are each fully aware of what the other wants and believes, and they both have all the same information. The have a legitimate difference of opinion that can't be resolved with words, and due to circumstances can't just be ignored.

Batman and Superman, on the other hand, are having a misunderstanding. The world's greatest detective, who has honed his craft through decades of practical experience, and a man who can literally see through things are getting into a big brawl over something that they could figure out if they'd just sit down together and talk it over like grown-ups. It makes them seem stupid and childish.

That's the sense I'm getting from the promotional materials, at least.

I am a completely 180 of you there... You think Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent as presented so far in man of steel and the trailer can sit and talk this out, but Steve and Toney who already work together can't? I mean I'm sure cap 3 will be better then comic book civil war, but it's still based on the same idea. That idea being funny because I am pretty sure that no government needs a new law to deal with vigilantes... there are already laws about it.

The death of superman was before I was reading comics...was it before I was born? I know the Dark Knight was 80's so before I was born. Maybe it's just having read one in at the time and not the other? There is just ALOT more up hill struggle in getting me ready for civil war then there is BvS, and I am most likely going to see both.

Right now though, I am hyped for a doomsday fight...

Darth Credence
2015-12-04, 01:02 PM
Love the trailer. I don't generally like Eisenberg, but from what I've seen so far, he could be second only to Clancy Brown as Lex. Loved the interplay between the two. And I would not say that it is necessarily a misunderstanding - it seems like it is a difference in opinion between the two, and they haven't worked together before to build trust in each other.

Saying that Marvel is not as childish seems to ignore the existing movies, especially Avengers. Thor could have certainly stopped to ask what was going on rather than attempting to turn Cap into a bloodstain on his hammer. Hulk could have refrained from punching his teammate in the middle of the giant battle (funny moment, but anyone who complains about the fight in this should have been screaming about that). Those guys fight all the time, for no good reason. I don't think there will be a good reason that people of good faith can have an honest disagreement about in Civil War, either. It will almost certainly have a right side and a wrong side, by the end everyone will be on the same side, and people who love the Avengers will love it and people who don't will ask why they were fighting at all.

The only problem I have with this right now is that Doomsday is the enemy. It should have been Bizarro - unless something changes from what we know right now, the origin of Doomsday in this is one of the comic book origins of Bizarro, and is nothing like any of the origins of Doomsday. While I have no problem with changing things, I wouldn't use the backstory of one villain for an unrelated one. I would either come up with a different back story or use the villain it went with.

Kid Jake
2015-12-04, 02:26 PM
Right now though, I am hyped for a doomsday fight...

Ya see, I think Doomsday actually killed the excitement I originally felt for the movie because it's all just starting to feel way too busy. Unless we're looking at a ridiculous run time then either the Superman/Batman conflict or freaking Doomsday is going to feel like it's just tacked on and that's just disappointing.

I'll admit I was all like https://martuktheholy.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/shocked-face-batman.jpg when I first saw Doomsday, but it was almost immediately replaced with the feeling that they've given up on anything resembling a coherent plot and are banking solely on spectacle and nostalgia; so instead of getting a loose adaption of TDKR we're just getting a handful of famous arcs thrown into a blender to see if something profitable can come out of it.

And that just made me sad.

Dienekes
2015-12-04, 03:09 PM
Ya see, I think Doomsday actually killed the excitement I originally felt for the movie because it's all just starting to feel way too busy. Unless we're looking at a ridiculous run time then either the Superman/Batman conflict or freaking Doomsday is going to feel like it's just tacked on and that's just disappointing.

I'll admit I was all like https://martuktheholy.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/shocked-face-batman.jpg when I first saw Doomsday, but it was almost immediately replaced with the feeling that they've given up on anything resembling a coherent plot and are banking solely on spectacle and nostalgia; so instead of getting a loose adaption of TDKR we're just getting a handful of famous arcs thrown into a blender to see if something profitable can come out of it.

And that just made me sad.

Eh, I can see a coherent plot involving all the pieces they have currently.

Lex is going about being Lex, he has some hair-brained scheme and an obsession with getting Superman out of his hair. He gets Batman and Superman to fight each other all over act 2, when they realize that Lex is the main villain they band together to fight him. Lex realizes that this is a bit hairy of a situation for him, so he releases his fallback plan, Doomsday. Doomsday, who's always been just a big brute really, serves that purpose by making a threat that the heroes have to band together to defeat.

Then Diana appears out of nowhere to save everyone, 'cuz why not? And they go arrest Lex, or he gets away, whatever, in the last scene.

Also, once more to really nail it in, Lex, hair.

Kid Jake
2015-12-04, 03:44 PM
I'm not saying that they can't put together a solid plot with what they've got, I'm just not convinced they will...which is a real shame because when it was first announced I have to say I was more stoked for this movie than the new Star Wars. I really hope I'm wrong, but each trailer just makes it look a little more bloated and squishes a little bit more of my enthusiasm.

I mean I'll probably still see it in theaters, which I've only done with about a dozen movies ever, but it'll probably be late in its run.

Avilan the Grey
2015-12-04, 04:33 PM
Now if only the movie was 90% WW, 9% Aquaman and 0,5% Bats and Supes (respectively) it would be far better.

Zmeoaice
2015-12-04, 04:56 PM
Eh, I can see a coherent plot involving all the pieces they have currently.

it may have a coherent plot, but that doesn't make it a good one. This film is going to be a bigger mess than Spider-Man 3. And possibly TASM2.

Doomsday will be their Venom, showing up at the last 15 minutes to get the heroes to band together.

DiscipleofBob
2015-12-04, 04:59 PM
I had absolutely zero interest in BvS before this trailer. I was absolutely certain it would be every bit as bad as MoS if not worse.

After the trailer, well...

My hope that this movie might actually have some decent aspects and might somewhat redeem the DCCU from MoS is now more than zero? I'm still very skeptical, but I'm no longer absolutely certain the entire movie will be completely terrible, if only because the climax won't be Batman fighting Superman, because that part is rubbish from the concept alone.

So I'm glad they posted the spoilerific trailer, and I think it's probably a smart move overall, since a lot of DC fans had given up on the movies after MoS and maybe this will reassure them that the movie might be worth watching.

I still probably won't see this movie opening weekend, but I'm at least willing to give it a shot.

Dienekes
2015-12-04, 05:03 PM
it may have a coherent plot, but that doesn't make it a good one. This film is going to be a bigger mess than Spider-Man 3. And possibly TASM2.

Doomsday will be their Venom, showing up at the last 15 minutes to get the heroes to band together.

While I agree, I think the movie will be a mess, but at least one that is coherent.

But, comparing Doomsday to Venom is a bit odd. Venom is a character, he has motivation, and desires. Doomsday is a boring brute whose only claim to fame is that he's tough enough to kill Superman. If they're going to turn a big name villain into a final fight cameo, Doomsday's the one to do it with.

Kid Jake
2015-12-04, 05:46 PM
While I agree, I think the movie will be a mess, but at least one that is coherent.

But, comparing Doomsday to Venom is a bit odd. Venom is a character, he has motivation, and desires. Doomsday is a boring brute whose only claim to fame is that he's tough enough to kill Superman. If they're going to turn a big name villain into a final fight cameo, Doomsday's the one to do it with.

True, but he's enough of a brute that I'd hate to see him reduced to a last second cameo. He's like a roughly man-shaped natural disaster, he needs time to mindlessly wreck stuff and make everyone go "Daaamn Clark. You need to go handle that." or he's just an ugly punching bag.

Avilan the Grey
2015-12-04, 06:34 PM
True, but he's enough of a brute that I'd hate to see him reduced to a last second cameo. He's like a roughly man-shaped natural disaster, he needs time to mindlessly wreck stuff and make everyone go "Daaamn Clark. You need to go handle that." or he's just an ugly punching bag.

Never understood the appeal of Doomsday.
I like Vehemence so much more :smallbiggrin: (not the same company).

lord_khaine
2015-12-04, 07:05 PM
I like Vehemence so much more

Well.. Vehemence is also some sort of unholy lovechild between Son Goku, Lex Luther and James Bond, so who can blame you?

Doomsday does have some sort of beastial charm though, in part because he is more a force of nature than anything else. Something that casually stomped the rest of the JLA, and pressed Superman further and harder than just about anything else we had previously seen, giving us a rather epic storyline in the progress.

SaintRidley
2015-12-04, 08:16 PM
Courtesy link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fis-9Zqu2Ro), since the OP never gave one.

theNater
2015-12-05, 02:26 AM
I am a completely 180 of you there... You think Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent as presented so far in man of steel and the trailer can sit and talk this out, but Steve and Toney who already work together can't?
I think Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent, as presented here, won't even try to sit and talk this out, because they(especially Bruce) seem to want to fight. Bruce has Clark right in front of him in a calm social setting, a great place to get his side of the story, and decides he'd rather call him a hypocrite and a clown.

On the other hand, Steve and Tony give the impression that they don't want to fight, and have tried to talk it out, but failed. Steve literally says "...I wouldn't do this if I had any other choice".

Saying that Marvel is not as childish...
Who said that? I'm pretty sure I was the only one in this thread who brought up any Marvel characters, and I only brought up Cap and Tony. Claiming I'm ignoring the other movies because Thor is childish is a bizarre non-sequitur.

The Glyphstone
2015-12-05, 03:24 AM
Great Modthulhu: Just as a note - the Marvel vs. DC discussion should be contained in the other BvS discussion thread. If this thread is specifically to discuss the contents of the new trailer, please stay on topic. Otherwise, both threads will be merged into one as per usual protocol.

Bulldog Psion
2015-12-05, 08:49 AM
Well, my biggest impression from that trailer was, "Gotham leveled, 8 million dead."

Honestly, I think a WW2 carpet bombing does less damage to a city than on superhero...

Kitten Champion
2015-12-05, 09:20 AM
At least it's not pushing "this is deeply super serious with Space Jesus fighting Miller's Battfleck and SYMBOLISM!!!1". In stead it's just run-of-the-mill bad with awful dialogue and direction, which could still be enjoyable though in a watch-it-on-Netflix-8-months-later sort of way.

Though I do give it the Jem Trailer Award for excellence in showing you the entire movie abridged into a few minutes, and Jesse Eisenberg is an awesome contender for next year's Razzies.

Well, I was never going to see it in theatres anyways, I just don't watch that many movies in a single month. Not at these prices at any rate.

Starbuck_II
2015-12-05, 01:24 PM
Are we sure it is Doomsday and not Cyborg Superman?
See if it was Cy Superman, then Batman blaming Superman makes sense. Because as far as Bruce knows it is Supes.

SaintRidley
2015-12-05, 02:28 PM
The bit where Luthor flicks Lois's head while talking about the word "psychotic" was good. So there's that, at least.

Ramza00
2015-12-05, 02:50 PM
I think the only way I am going to like this movie if Lex Luthor is the real main character of the movie, him being an over the top villain that make the superheros look like idiots. The whole point of the movie is not to be taken seriously, while at the same time it creates an aura that you should take it super seriously due to the dark visuals, theme music, etc.

To Channel Spaceballs, Evil Will Always Triumph for Good is Dumb.

------

Make the movie so bad, so out there that it becomes a type of comedic farce that you can eat popcorn too.

GAZ
2015-12-05, 11:35 PM
Lame on the nose jokes from Mark Zuckerberg Lex Luthor. Lame on the nose exchange from Superman and Batman. Batman has a gun! Trailer basically gives everything away. This looks worse and worse the more I see.

Actually, I do like the exchange between Bruce and Clark. But only before Jesse Eisenberg shows up doing a bad impression of himself.

HardcoreD&Dgirl
2015-12-06, 09:15 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1BbyoQQ0kg

Beyond the trailer did a live reaction and a shot by shot review. Grace Randolph pretty much is excited about the movie, and like me sees Doomsday as pretty great.

I love her 'face acting' idea and as much as I disagree with her about the end shot (I do agree about wonder woman pants but I like Superman just standing there).

Fri
2015-12-06, 09:34 AM
Actually for me, after seeing the trailer, the way this movie could be good

Is if all those shown in the trailer is actually at most the first 20 minutes of the 2 hours movie, and the rest of the movie is superman, batman, and wonder woman fighting lex luthor and doomsday.

Imagine that twist. Imagine how good that could be.

Kitten Champion
2015-12-06, 09:54 AM

Is if all those shown in the trailer is actually at most the first 20 minutes of the 2 hours movie, and the rest of the movie is superman, batman, and wonder woman fighting lex luthor and doomsday.

Like, an actual two hour fight scene? Would it be like a shounen battle anime?

Fri
2015-12-06, 10:42 AM
Well, I don't mean literally 2 hours fistfight. Many things can happen in "superhero battle against supervillain."

Like, tracking the supervillain's base, fighting his mooks, saving people, etc etc.

But basically the important thing is, the title is actually bait and switch, and the heroes only fight early on because of misunderstanding, and the movie is actually an awesome superhero team up movie.

Bulldog Psion
2015-12-06, 11:39 AM
Well, I don't mean literally 2 hours fistfight. Many things can happen in "superhero battle against supervillain."

Like, tracking the supervillain's base, fighting his mooks, saving people, etc etc.

But basically the important thing is, the title is actually bait and switch, and the heroes only fight early on because of misunderstanding, and the movie is actually an awesome superhero team up movie.

That would be a fun twist if handled right. Too bad they probably won't do it.

Dienekes
2015-12-06, 12:00 PM

I am not normally gambling man. Wasting my money on chance has always seemed incredibly stupid to me.

But, I'd be willing to bit a rather large amount that this is not what they're going to do.

Lentrax
2015-12-06, 12:20 PM
Honestly, now the only way this could even be remotely good for me is this:

Batman: Supes, you're a bad guy and I am gonna put you down.
Superman: You can try, but you know I am invincible right?

Batman beats the snot out of Superman with some kryptonite.

Batman: Now, we end this, because I am the hero, and you're a villain.

Enter Doomsday, stage right.

Batman: F***
Superman: I got this, yo.

Doomsday kills Superman.

Batman gets the rest of the JL together to have a shot at holding out against Doomsday.

Credits. To be continued...

But I have no faith in DC to do anything resembling that, so.....

I might go watch it. If someone else pays for the movie, pays for my concessions, and pays me to watch it.

Kitten Champion
2015-12-06, 12:27 PM
I am not normally gambling man. Wasting my money on chance has always seemed incredibly stupid to me.

But, I'd be willing to bit a rather large amount that this is not what they're going to do.

It's pretty hard to bet against you when the trailer essentially provides the entire plot structure of the movie.

Legato Endless
2015-12-06, 12:58 PM

I don't really understand the strange devotion we now append to popularity as codified by an arbitrary metric system. Especially as a pretty significant continent of incredible films tend to get polarizing responses by critics too hidebound to see where the medium is going. Granted, I don't think Snyder is capable of anything resembling that, unless by some strange turnaround Sucker Punch becomes this unappreciated in it's time classic in a future society I gag to imagine. But still, if you're going to indulge in listening to the critical community, which has it's advantages I freely admit, you're really better off finding a few critics whose opinions are actually valid for you and touching base with them over a new release, rather than giving all of them their due. Unless your views perfectly aligns with RT's weighted average and well, that's...unique.

That could actually be a lot of fun. The first part makes a brisk push through all the same old superheroes fight rigamarole, then we get Doomsday interrupting the proceedings, and then Act 3 at about the 60 minute mark goes into a completely different direction. It'd be the first Super Hero movie (in...ever?) that you'd honestly not be sure where the movie is going next. Totally not happening considering the director's style, but a great idea.

Zmeoaice
2015-12-06, 01:21 PM
But still, if you're going to indulge in listening to the critical community, which has it's advantages I freely admit, you're really better off finding a few critics whose opinions are actually valid for you and touching base with them over a new release, rather than giving all of them their due. Unless your views perfectly aligns with RT's weighted average and well, that's...unique.

It's a good rule of thumb for deciding where to spend money.

There are a few amateur critics I like, and I'll also be watching their review videos before deciding whether I watch this film. Though my views don't align with them 100% so pooling through RT would be useful. I will probably read the wikipedia synopsis as well.

theNater
2015-12-07, 09:15 PM
Showed the trailer to a friend who hadn't been following it last night. Her first question: "who's that gal at the end?" After I confirmed who she meant and told her it was Wonder Woman, she said "she doesn't look like Wonder Woman". Apparently my friend expects more "pizzazz" from Wonder Woman.

She also wasn't too impressed with Doomsday, saying he reminded her of the monsters from our video games. We recently fought several gronn in WoW; I think that may be what she meant.

I believe these things don't bode well for the impression this trailer will give the casual movie-goer.

Let's go whole hog. Doomsday shows up at the 20 minute mark, Batman hits him with that sonic pulse cannon, knocking him down, Wonder Woman pins him and Superman snaps his neck. Whole thing is over in a couple of minutes. Our heroes look at each other and kind of go "well, that was surprisingly easy". Then a boom tube opens, Darkseid steps out and goes "Indeed. The only reason I gave Luthor the ability to create Doomsday was to see how much of my army I'd need to take over this planet; clearly the answer is all of it." Then boom tubes open across the globe, with parademons pouring forth, and the rest of the movie is the trinity fighting a Darkseid invasion!

HardcoreD&Dgirl
2015-12-07, 09:37 PM
Let's go whole hog. Doomsday shows up at the 20 minute mark, Batman hits him with that sonic pulse cannon, knocking him down, Wonder Woman pins him and Superman snaps his neck. Whole thing is over in a couple of minutes. Our heroes look at each other and kind of go "well, that was surprisingly easy". Then a boom tube opens, Darkseid steps out and goes "Indeed. The only reason I gave Luthor the ability to create Doomsday was to see how much of my army I'd need to take over this planet; clearly the answer is all of it." Then boom tubes open across the globe, with parademons pouring forth, and the rest of the movie is the trinity fighting a Darkseid invasion!

I would prefer at least 1/2hr if not 45 mins with very little superman or batman... just clark and bruce. I really want WW to show up and interact though in a mortal/civilian form with both. I then want at least 20min maybe a half hour of both doing there thing (superman saving people, batman being batman) witch would put us at the 50min- 1hr 15 min mark... then have the fight start... have that take at least 20 mins, maybe full half hr... putting us between 1hr 10 min and 1hr 45 mins... that is when I want to see the big twist start and lex let loose doomsday...

Legato Endless
2015-12-07, 10:47 PM
She also wasn't too impressed with Doomsday, saying he reminded her of the monsters from our video games.

To be fair, that sounds like mostly a lateral move considering his classic look.

HardcoreD&Dgirl
2015-12-07, 11:03 PM
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice New Trailer

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/76/Superman_The_Man_of_Steel_18_(December_1992).jpg/200px-Superman_The_Man_of_Steel_18_(December_1992).jpg&imgrefurl=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doomsday_(comics)&h=302&w=200&tbnid=ql-nTK0HmrI7pM:&docid=JPenAE9ThQNIpM&itg=1&ei=K1ZmVo2zMYKO-QGHlo2QCA&tbm=isch&ved=0ahUKEwjN9PfCsMvJAhUCRz4KHQdLA4IQMwh7KD8wPw

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/superman/images/b/b4/Doomsday.jpg/revision/latest%253Fcb%253D20081007211047&imgrefurl=http://superman.wikia.com/wiki/Doomsday:_Year_One&h=597&w=400&tbnid=pqbQNsaapTgUMM:&docid=Q_XTdPMzXkg8-M&ei=K1ZmVo2zMYKO-QGHlo2QCA&tbm=isch&ved=0ahUKEwjN9PfCsMvJAhUCRz4KHQdLA4IQMwiaASheMF4

tomandtish
2015-12-08, 12:24 AM
Funny thing is: To me it looked less like Doomsday and more like a bad clay version of Darkseid.

theNater
2015-12-08, 03:27 PM
I would prefer at least 1/2hr if not 45 mins with very little superman or batman... just clark and bruce. I really want WW to show up and interact though in a mortal/civilian form with both. I then want at least 20min maybe a half hour of both doing there thing (superman saving people, batman being batman) witch would put us at the 50min- 1hr 15 min mark... then have the fight start... have that take at least 20 mins, maybe full half hr... putting us between 1hr 10 min and 1hr 45 mins... that is when I want to see the big twist start and lex let loose doomsday...
How long do you expect the movie to be? If it's 2hr, and the twist happens at 1hr 45 mins, that's less than 15 minutes of Doomsday fight. Is that enough, do you think?

To be fair, that sounds like mostly a lateral move considering his classic look.
My issue isn't so much whether it's a good look as whether it's a good choice to put into a trailer. Outside of us nerds, I don't think he's going to be widely recognized; what's your average Jimmy Kimmel watcher supposed to think?

Tyndmyr
2015-12-08, 03:56 PM
How long do you expect the movie to be? If it's 2hr, and the twist happens at 1hr 45 mins, that's less than 15 minutes of Doomsday fight. Is that enough, do you think?

My issue isn't so much whether it's a good look as whether it's a good choice to put into a trailer. Outside of us nerds, I don't think he's going to be widely recognized; what's your average Jimmy Kimmel watcher supposed to think?

Revived Zod, presumably. If they saw the preceding video, at which point they probably fall asleep. If not, they probably just see it as another generic villain. Sort of like cloud-galactus or cloud-parallax.

Killer Angel
2015-12-09, 05:02 PM
The trailer is kinda meh.

That said, when I see Batman side by side with Supes and Wonder Woman, facing the end of the world, makes me (almost) the same effect of Black Widow side by side with Thor, Hulk and Iron Man facing the end of the world. Not the same league.

Because Batman is strong, but his strenght lies in preparation and planning... and i don't think he's got a Doomsday repellent bat-spray.

Anteros
2015-12-09, 05:37 PM
The trailer is kinda meh.

That said, when I see Batman side by side with Supes and Wonder Woman, facing the end of the world, makes me (almost) the same effect of Black Widow side by side with Thor, Hulk and Iron Man facing the end of the world. Not the same league.

Because Batman is strong, but his strenght lies in preparation and planning... and i don't think he's got a Doomsday repellent bat-spray.

Doomsday appears to be some sort of Zod clone in this, and he's there to fight a Kryptonian, so he'll be alright.

Also, this isn't directed at you, but just something I've noticed in general. This forum is incredibly negative against anything DC. It's strange, because other places on the internet I've seen are largely positive (or at least not so overwhelmingly critical). I wonder if it's just the echo chamber effect or if there's some other factor at play.

Legato Endless
2015-12-09, 05:44 PM

That one of the Trolls from LOTR/RE 4 is in the crossover too? :smallwink:

I don't think it really matters honestly. Part of the explosion of arc based television and interrelated media the MCU exemplifies is based on how much you can now rely on the viewers themselves to go hunting for information. In fact, Doomsday's identity is kind of pointless. The average viewer will just see, oh, Lex Luthor goes Frankenstein on Zodd's corpse and makes a monster to kill Superman. And oh look, the heroes unite. If Avengers did nothing else, it burned into the public consciousness how quick to anger, quick to forgive the Superhero community is.

Now, whether leaving Doomsday and Wonderwoman as a twist for the film itself to then generate word of mouth, versus laying almost all of your cards on the table for comic fans is good question, and while this isn't my first instinct, I can see why with all the bad press they'd want to double down.

Also, this isn't directed at you, but just something I've noticed in general. This forum is incredibly negative against anything DC. It's strange, because other places on the internet I've seen are largely positive (or at least not so overwhelmingly critical). I wonder if it's just the echo chamber effect or if there's some other factor at play.

It's certainly one of a dozen or so proclivities of the community.

Dienekes
2015-12-09, 06:32 PM
Doomsday appears to be some sort of Zod clone in this, and he's there to fight a Kryptonian, so he'll be alright.

No man, I love me some DC.

Batman, greatest comicbook superhero of all time. Ok, he's a bit overexposed, no argument there. But I don't think it's any worse off than Wolverine was in the 90s or Deadpool is now. And unlike the two I just mentioned, I don't grow tired of Batman and his fantastic rogues gallery like I did with Wolverine and Deadpool.

That said, New52 has been mixed to bad, and the DC movies have been lackluster. Outside of the Nolanverse Batman trilogy, which had 2 really good movies and a third that I still enjoyed a lot but was flawed in many ways.

Man of Steel was them trying to start a DC heroes movie franchise, and kudos to that, because Justice League and eventually an expanded Justice League are just as interesting if not more than the Avengers are (in comic form), but it did some things that were frankly head-scratching. The focused a whole hell of a lot on the destruction and their handling of dealing with Clark struggling under the pressures of being a hero was inconsistent. Some scenes did it great, some, less well. But Superman is an inspiration, and on that grounds he fell pretty flat. And no matter how much Jesus imagery you shove down our throats it doesn't change that.

As to this particular outing. The trailer looks like just another action movie trailer. Which it is, and it seems fine as an action movie. The problems are that it reveals the entire plot, and Lex Luthor is... I dunno what he is. He's unrecognizable from the Lex Luthor I know, and more than that, he seems annoying.

Anteros
2015-12-09, 06:41 PM
Luthor is certainly questionable. It's like they thought "The Joker is really popular, let's turn Luthor into him!" and then found the worst actor they could to portray it.

Honestly the person in charge of casting for these movies in general should probably be fired and never work again. I have come around on Batfleck though. I think he can make it work.

The Glyphstone
2015-12-09, 07:33 PM

Selection bias, perhaps? Most people I've seen in the Playground tend to be generally positive towards DC's TV shows, Animated features, and occasionally their comics (nu52 is very diverse and divisive across its lines, so I can't make a flat statement here). It's only their movies that the Playground tends to universally pile on the negativity towards.

themaque
2015-12-09, 09:25 PM
I honestly hated MoS and this hasn't sold me much on the series. So I admit I'm biased from the start.

But I will say I'm hoping this Lex is pulling a Reverse Mandarin. He comes off foolish and silly but we see that it's a front to how serious and villainous he really is.

Wait... wasn't that supposed to be Bruce Wayne's thing?

Legato Endless
2015-12-09, 09:42 PM
But I will say I'm hoping this Lex is pulling a Reverse Mandarin. He comes off foolish and silly but we see that it's a front to how serious and villainous he really is.

Wait... wasn't that supposed to be Bruce Wayne's thing?

He definitely doesn't seem to be hiding here. Although that's one thing really only the Dark Knight trilogy has bothered with film-wise.

LaZodiac
2015-12-09, 09:45 PM
Selection bias, perhaps? Most people I've seen in the Playground tend to be generally positive towards DC's TV shows, Animated features, and occasionally their comics (nu52 is very diverse and divisive across its lines, so I can't make a flat statement here). It's only their movies that the Playground tends to universally pile on the negativity towards.

It's almost as if those good things you mentioned are good, and that bad thing you mentioned is bad.

Not for nothing, but if it walks like a duck and quacks likes a duck...

Anyway, on the actual subject at hand. The interesting thing about this trailer is that it doesn't actually show us EVERY thing. It shows us that the entire conciet of the movie gets turned around at the end (ie the big twist) and it shows us what Wonder Woman does, and basically shows us how the fight goes.

What it does not show is is Drago Aquaman and his five pronged trident. My guess is that they're saving that for the stinger.

Anteros
2015-12-09, 10:44 PM

The only thing I've really seen positivity towards was the DCAU, which ended 9 years ago. The threads about the comics, movies, and shows all tend to be overwhelmingly negative and nit-picky.

Other places on the internet don't hate the movies so vehemently. They actually enjoy the TV shows! There are tons of people who enjoy the New52! It's just this forum that seems to have some weird hatred for everything DC releases.

LaZodiac
2015-12-09, 11:02 PM
The only thing I've really seen positivity towards was the DCAU, which ended 9 years ago. The threads about the comics, movies, and shows all tend to be overwhelmingly negative and nit-picky.

Other places on the internet don't hate the movies so vehemently. They actually enjoy the TV shows! There are tons of people who enjoy the New52! It's just this forum that seems to have some weird hatred for everything DC releases.

Are you reading the same Flash TV show thread I'm reading? We love it. We don't like Arrow that much but that's okay Arrow's not super great. I can't speak for the comics since I genuinely do not enjoy the comics and as such don't participate in those conversations.

theNater
2015-12-09, 11:52 PM
We're nerds. Nit-picking is a significant part of how we enjoy things. If you're taking that as negativity, I could see how that might cause confusion.

Is it possible that the D&D elements of the site that attract a nerdier(and therefore nit-pickier) crowd than your other internet haunts?

themaque
2015-12-10, 12:44 AM
Are you reading the same Flash TV show thread I'm reading? We love it. We don't like Arrow that much but that's okay Arrow's not super great. I can't speak for the comics since I genuinely do not enjoy the comics and as such don't participate in those conversations.

Gonna have to back up this statement here. We dissect and nit pick but it's a labor of love rather than dismissal.

Love The Flash
Tolerate Arrow
Undecided on Super girl

I have always been a DC guy.

Hopeless
2015-12-10, 04:45 AM
You know what if Lex is behind imprisoning the metahumans and aquaman?

Throw in a mysterious figure reminiscent of Supergirl's version of the Martian Manhunter who recruits the heroes so the primary trio have backup after Lex unleashes Project Bizarro!

Could have the new Green Lantern or Ryan Reynolds turn up because Doomsday threatens Coast City and then have a true hero team up since all 3 will be too busy fighting the resurrected Zod to rescue the civilians Superman couldn't in his movie so making that clear should improve this movie dramatically!

I don't see that happening because the mess of Man of Steel is something I don't think Affleck can overcome but I can and will hope he proves me wrong!

Killer Angel
2015-12-10, 07:43 AM

Speaking for myself.
I love DC... it's only that this particular movie doesn't appeal to me. :smallwink:

Avilan the Grey
2015-12-10, 01:50 PM

Well, there's This (http://hasdcdonesomethingstupidtoday.com/).

On a more personal note though... I am basically done with Superhero comics. I got fed up with the constant reboots, the stupid Dork Ages and the "Grimdark Gothic Crap".

I was mainly a Marvel kid growing up, although that might have something to do with the fact that the only translated DC comic that appeared regularly in Sweden when I was young was Stålmannen (Superman) and for a short while Teen Titans (back when Brother Blood was introduced the first time). Playing for the other team was Spider-Man, X-Men and Fantastic Four and more.

Anyway, I stopped reading Marvel after One More Day made me well... pissed off at them. For a while I got back into it following the Ultimate Universe, but then Ultimatum happened and pissed me off again. I am now considering the Marvel Movie Universe the only canon I care about.

I did start to pick up DC comics in the late 90's however, especially WW. Never been a real fan of Supes OR Bats, actually. The high point for me though was the Powergirl solo series and the version of Bird of Prey that predated New52.

Then New52 happened, and ruined everything.

It doesn't help that DC has a constant rolling Reboot going on, and have been for what? 10 years now? NO continuity lasts more than 5 years, it seems. Ever.

BWR
2015-12-10, 05:51 PM
I keep saying I liked MoS and think it's better than just about everything the MCU and related media has given us (IM and CA:TFA being the only serious contenders).
I'm looking more forward to DoJ and SS than anything Marvel related on the horizon and like Flash better than any Marvel show they've given us, though Agent Carter comes close.

TheEmerged
2015-12-10, 06:47 PM

I've had a pull list at the local comic books store continuously since 1989. The last time a Marvel comic was on that list was back when Kang conquered the world in the Avengers book and it didn't affect any other book Marvel published, despite the fact the story supposedly took place over the course of months. I have picked up a couple of miniseries - I have a soft spot for Modok and Taskmaster, we all have our irrational fandoms. I saw Batman:Mask of the Phantasm in the theatre when it was released, and Batman is one of my least favorite DC characters. So you might say I'm a DC guy.

Have you actually read the thread for The Flash? Most of us like it. Is it perfect? No, it's a bit cheesy (and cheese-cakey) for me to say that. But it's one of exactly two TV shows I watch each week (the other is Agent of Shield\ Agent Carter). As I said on that thread, actually, I wanted to send a copy of Season 1 to the people behind Batman vs Superman vs Anybody Else Who Happens To Show Up so they'd know what a non-trivial part of their fanbase (which is not their entire audience, I know) actually wants. Now Arrow I can take or leave, and I watched Supergirl up to the point where I couldn't ignore the fact that I wasn't the target audience anymore. Tastes vary, insert reference to Baskin Robbins & 30+ flavors here.

Now, as to the New52? My own experience talking to people is that it tends to run hot/cold. The people who do like it seem to REALLY like it. The people that don't are starting to wonder how much longer they're going to keep their pull list going. Fairness in reporting, I'm down to 10 books a month right now & I used to get more than that on some individual weeks.

I know I'm almost certainly going to be seeing this movie, but it's the kind of "know" like the one where you have the appointment with the eye doctor that's going to involve a needle in your eye rather than the "know" of a kid looking forward to Christmas. Even though I fear it's going to manage to be worse than I fear? Hey, I sat through Street Fighter, the second Mortal Kombat movie, and "GINO" Godzilla movie, I can handle a lot. Street Fighter was at least good for a couple of laughs and GINO caused me to start taking my writing more seriously ("Someone got PAID to write that...").

HardcoreD&Dgirl
2015-12-13, 11:52 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/larger-threat-doomsday-teased-batman-001211261.html

There is a new hint that there is way more going on.

LaZodiac
2015-12-14, 12:00 AM
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/larger-threat-doomsday-teased-batman-001211261.html

There is a new hint that there is way more going on.

...why. That seems like a very bad idea. It's...already super bloated already.

HardcoreD&Dgirl
2015-12-14, 12:12 AM

bloated is relative... you have 2 A list heroes as your main. Neither needs a lot of explanation. I would hazard a guess that if they had jumped right to justice league (aka no man of steel at all) and thrown superman and batman not a lot of build up is needed for them. Lex is in what, of the 6 superman moves 5 of them. We can jump right into the action with all three of them. Doomsday himself is not going to need a character arc anymore then an earthquake would. Wonder woman can be played off as masteries... there is ALOT of run time left for one or two bit players still

LaZodiac
2015-12-14, 01:17 AM
bloated is relative... you have 2 A list heroes as your main. Neither needs a lot of explanation. I would hazard a guess that if they had jumped right to justice league (aka no man of steel at all) and thrown superman and batman not a lot of build up is needed for them. Lex is in what, of the 6 superman moves 5 of them. We can jump right into the action with all three of them. Doomsday himself is not going to need a character arc anymore then an earthquake would. Wonder woman can be played off as masteries... there is ALOT of run time left for one or two bit players still

I also think the movie has the problem of "Doomsday is in it at all".

I truly, honestly believe this movie would of been better if it was solely about Batman v. Superman. No outside interferance, no villains getting in the way. Two idealogies facing each other and realizing that no, they're not bad guys, they shouldn't be fighting each other.

Or one of the other many better ideas then what we're getting, like the one pitched by I believe it was Matt Landis o Movie Fights.

Legato Endless
2015-12-14, 04:37 PM

Eh, I am not inspired by what I'm seeing, but bloated is a strange critique based solely on the trailer. The number of cameos look annoying, but bloat isn't a pure numbers game. Fellowship of the Ring has what? 15 major characters? 20? The Fellowship, Saruman, Galadriel, Lurtz as Doomsday fight, Bilbo, Elrond, Arwen, Sauron pops in for a bit, we've got that first subplot with Isildur, the Ring Wraiths will count as one for purposes of economy, Haldir... But the film is pretty streamlined barring the extended version.

There's way more characters there than in Age of Ultron, which was rather bloated and unfocused by the way all the various subplots and mandates combined with each other. Character bloat is much more a matter of how they're handled than their existence. There's War epics with something on the order of 30 or more archetypes that all interact with the plot but it's fine if they're handled correctly. As much as I love things on a more intimate perspective, Film still has room for grandiose scale, and the two really aren't antithetical.

Film plots aren't numerology. There's no precise magic number for a well told story.

I also think the movie has the problem of "Doomsday is in it at all".

I truly, honestly believe this movie would of been better if it was solely about Batman v. Superman. No outside interferance, no villains getting in the way. Two idealogies facing each other and realizing that no, they're not bad guys, they shouldn't be fighting each other.

That said, I can get behind this, as I'm really not convinced everything in this film needs to be here for what we've seen.

Sojobo
2015-12-15, 06:39 PM
I want this to be good, but at the same time, just to save myself from mental anguish, I'm lowering my expectations massively. That way, I'll always be pleasantly surprised?

I have to say though, I'm glad that Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Zuckerberg is only Lex Luthor, Jr... my beloved, ACTUAL Lex Luthor hasn't been touched.

Pronounceable
2015-12-17, 12:51 PM
only Lex Luthor, Jr... my beloved, ACTUAL Lex Luthor hasn't been touched.
But Jr was basically just Sr in a wig? Or was there another Jr I don't remember?

Anyway, this movie is gonna suck because they're trying to ram in every damn DC thing they can think of. Why not stick Teen Titans in there somewhere too, that'd surely drew in more of that teenage audience. And add in a Darkseid cameo in the end, it worked for Marvel (that's probably that "bigger threat" nonsense in that link). Also various shades of Lanterns should crash the party at the big finale, you can't have an EPIC BLOCKBUSTER showdown without armies fighting in the background...

DC is run by idiots, we know this, and what they're doing is the movie equivalent of "WoW-killer MMO". You're not gonna get the same magic again, you can't beat the established pioneering example by being a knockoff.

That said, I think I'll watch it to see how much of a stupid mess they make of it. It promises to be a novel way to fail spectacularly.