PDA

View Full Version : Some synad help?

SangoProduction
2015-12-03, 07:11 PM
I'm trying to figure out what are some "Purely mental swift actions" there are, and why having a second one would be useful. I know there's the quickened manifesting or whatever, but you can't quicken two times, so having a second swift action for it is rather pointless. I guess there's the whole concentration thing, if you take that skill trick that makes concentration only 1 swift action, thus letting you quicken an ability while continuing to concentrate, once a day.

IcarusWulfe
2015-12-03, 07:52 PM
I suppose you could use it in an arcane/Psionic theurge build. If I remember correctly, the text states that you can't use the psedo quicken and another Psionic Power , I don't think it says anything about quickening spells. So you should be able to use it to fire off both a quickened power and a psudo quickened spell in addition to your normal casting in a single round

Psyren
2015-12-03, 09:36 PM
There are plenty of powers that are swift actions without being quickened. For instance, you can manifest Defensive Precognition, Dimension Hop, Temporal Acceleration, or Hustle, and then quicken something else.

There are also several class features that are swift (like Lurk Augments) or items that are activated as a swift (focus on psionic items here, as the default activation method is Command Thought, which is purely mental.)

torrasque666
2015-12-03, 10:11 PM
There are plenty of powers that are swift actions without being quickened. For instance, you can manifest Defensive Precognition, Dimension Hop, Temporal Acceleration, or Hustle, and then quicken something else.
Nitpick, Defensive Precognition (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/precognitionDefensive.htm) isn't a swift.

elonin
2015-12-03, 10:34 PM
Aren't knowledge checks swift? Directing spells (assigning new targets) that don't require concentration. Using luck re-rolls?

SangoProduction
2015-12-03, 10:49 PM
Nitpick, Defensive Precognition (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/precognitionDefensive.htm) isn't a swift.

But it can be without the metapsionic.

But there is the problem of you not being able to manifest more than 1 power in a round, so his suggestion of "then quicken something else" isn't helpful.

Andezzar
2015-12-03, 11:41 PM
Aren't knowledge checks swift?Nope:
Action

Usually none. In most cases, making a Knowledge check doesn’t take an action—you simply know the answer or you don’t.

Directing spells (assigning new targets) that don't require concentration.Not generally:
Each round after the first, you can use a standard action to switch the sword to a new target.

Using luck re-rolls?Some of them are.

Psyren
2015-12-03, 11:44 PM

Read the augment.

But there is the problem of you not being able to manifest more than 1 power in a round, so his suggestion of "then quicken something else" isn't helpful.

Where on earth are you getting this rule? :smallconfused:

RolkFlameraven
2015-12-03, 11:51 PM
But it can be without the metapsionic.

You can get around THAT with only using one quickened power, one power that is a swift (either normally or augmented to being swift) and a normal manifestation as a standard action while still moving.

This gets you around the 'one quickened power per round' from the feat. Its a bit limited, and hard on your PP but it would work.

SangoProduction
2015-12-04, 12:10 AM
You can get around THAT with only using one quickened power, one power that is a swift (either normally or augmented to being swift) and a normal manifestation as a standard action while still moving.

This gets you around the 'one quickened power per round' from the feat. Its a bit limited, and hard on your PP but it would work.

Oh, lol. That's where the rule came from. I remember it coming from somewhere. Thanks.

Has anyone actually had a problem with PP? I kinda just spam my abilities for 3 encounters straight and still have more than 75% of them left even at level 5. Perhaps it's because I keep using those utility spells like grease/demoralize/etc, which only cost 1. Of course, when I was done, I did start blasting away with max augment Energy Ray, but it seems really hard to run out.

RolkFlameraven
2015-12-04, 04:40 PM
Oh, lol. That's where the rule came from. I remember it coming from somewhere. Thanks.

Has anyone actually had a problem with PP? I kinda just spam my abilities for 3 encounters straight and still have more than 75% of them left even at level 5. Perhaps it's because I keep using those utility spells like grease/demoralize/etc, which only cost 1. Of course, when I was done, I did start blasting away with max augment Energy Ray, but it seems really hard to run out.

No, not really. A Psi can use as many PP as needed to get the job done. In your case you are only using 1 for the powers you need, but even if you where going all out you've got six to seven powers a day at full even at level 5. So long as you are not going it solo six or seven level 3 'spells' should be more then enough to get the four encounters in a day.

Now you can burn through your PP quickly with things like this trick and using three powers in a round or more with Schism (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/schism.htm) but that should be over kill unless this is PvP or something. All in all a Psi shouldn't run out unless they over channel a heck of a bunch (and your HP might end up running out faster then your PP) and/or go a long time between rests while going all out on every power.

PsyWar's on the other hand...:smallfrown:

Psyren
2015-12-04, 04:53 PM
For Psywars I recommend the Meditant PrC, which is 9/10 manifesting, 3/4 BAB and can more than double their PP. There's a handbook in my extended sig.