PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Mask, what do?

Abraxis
2015-12-03, 08:00 PM
Mask (the god from forgotten realms) confuses me. How does he have a following? He's not a big bad, he's a neutral cleric friendly deity who is the patron of thieves, i get that. I've read all major publications from wizards and even the erevis cale books. Still, he doesn't have the dramatic draw like other gods i.e. lathander or bane whose clientele are obvious. I don't get how he functions. Can someone help?
how does he work? how does he gain followers? What does he have to offer his subject other than spells? What would be goals suitable to him on the material plane? short and long term?

I guess what I'm really asking is show me the god-fax.

AlanBruce
2015-12-04, 02:36 AM
Mask, in detail. (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Mask)

Oddly enough, he's Chaotic Neutral, but according to that sheet, his worshippers (most likely referring to his clergy), are all shades of evil.

Then again, according to the PHB, you could have a Chaotic Good cleric of Mask as well, since:

Alignment: A cleric’s alignment must be within one step of his deity’s (that is, it may be one step away on either the lawful–chaotic axis or the good–evil axis, but not both). A cleric may not be neutral unless his deity’s alignment is also neutral.

Which would be interesting since most of the people who do follow Mask are thugs and assassins. The guy is a loner, yes, but he's far from detached from what happens in the Realms- he has a vast spy network. For what purpose? We do not know. Maybe he wants to recover some elements of his portfolio, taken by Cyric.

If you're planning to be a cleric of this guy or a devout follower, Secrecy is the name of the game. Not showing off that you even know about him and keeping your agendas to yourself would be a good start (unless you can use your party to help you without their knowledge).

Make sure you can somehow get a few beggars to aid you in some big city- Mask seems to be big among their community and who would suspect a beggar?

ManicOppressive
2015-12-04, 03:11 AM
who would suspect a beggar?

Wait, are there people who don't suspect the beggars of being spies?

AlanBruce
2015-12-04, 04:14 AM
Wait, are there people who don't suspect the beggars of being spies?

Usually, NPCs in big cities, unless they themselves belong to some thief guild, would know what beggar has the info, but the majority of the populace would look at beggars as just that- poor folk that litter the streets asking for a few coppers.

Of course, PCs, on the other hand, tend to be extremely paranoid and suspicious of anything that moves. A lot more of those that do not.

Andezzar
2015-12-04, 04:41 AM
Mask, in detail. (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Mask)

Oddly enough, he's Chaotic Neutral, but according to that sheet, his worshippers (most likely referring to his clergy), are all shades of evil.

Then again, according to the PHB, you could have a Chaotic Good cleric of Mask as well, since:Not quite. The rules from FR supersede those in the PHB. The Forgotten Realms have quite a few deities that do not follow the usual rule.

AlanBruce
2015-12-04, 05:14 AM
Not quite. The rules from FR supersede those in the PHB. The Forgotten Realms have quite a few deities that do not follow the usual rule.

I was not aware of that. Still, very strange that a CN deity would only have evil clerics serving him. They usually allow several alignments to come into play when it comes to their worship.

Maybe the link is old and Mask was changed to Neutral Evil.

Andezzar
2015-12-04, 05:42 AM
I was not aware of that. Still, very strange that a CN deity would only have evil clerics serving him. They usually allow several alignments to come into play when it comes to their worship.It's FR what did you expect? ;)
Sune Firehair for example is CG and has paladins, Chauntea allows TN clerics but is NG herself, Gond allows clerics of all alignments etc.

Maybe the link is old and Mask was changed to Neutral Evil.You are right. The FRCS puts him at Neutral Evil.