PDA

View Full Version : Cool cooking related terms/phrases

Fri
2015-12-03, 08:00 PM
Hey guys, I'm currently mulling about making an rpg about cooking, with "hollywood cooking" tone in the same tone with "hollywood hacking" with the intensity of at least Iron Chef.

Basically about people who know nothing about cooking (the players) pulling cool-sounding cooking terms toward random fantastic ingredients who kinda sound like cooking but anyone with any knowledge about actual cooking will know it's all nonsense. In the line of, in hacking, "I'm tracing his IP using my custom GUI but my RAM isn't strong enough to overcome his processor strength!" but in cooking. So maybe it'll be like "I'm braising this griffin meat in low temperature to overcome its fat marbling with strong wine" or whatever.

What I'm doing right now is collecting cool cooking-related words or phrases. So my question is, do you guys have any cool-sounding cookery related phrases that you'd like to hear shouted in this game?

Just throw as many as your favourite foreign words here for my data collection, and it'll be a help!

I'm not sure where to post this actually. Roleplaying, friendly banter, or media discussion would work. But since I spend more time here, might as well post here.

Thanks before!

Wardog
2015-12-04, 12:57 PM
I'm not sure if these count as "cool" (personally, I think they're more in line with management-buzzwords, like synergising your blue-sky thinking outside the box), but there are certain terms that some UK restaurants like using in their menus, or food companies like to use to describe their products:

"enveloped" or "enrobed" (rather than "covered/coated in")
"jus" (rather than "sauce")
"farmhouse" (adjective meaning "we want to evoke the idea of a traditional, rural idyl", but otherwise meaningless)
"crème Anglaise" / "sauce Anglaise" (because custard sounds too common, and everything is posher in French).
"handmade" (presumably to distinguish it from things made using machines, rather than from things made using other body parts).
"artisanal" (handmade, but posher).
"teamed with" (rather than just "with")
"reinvented" ("our recipe is different").
"molten" (melted - or possibly just liquid).
"luscious", "opulent", "luxurious", "decedant" ("we have a thesaurus, and are not afraid to use it!")

AdmiralCheez
2015-12-08, 09:17 AM
Well, there's broiling, sautéing, searing, pan-searing, making a reduction, glazing, combining with a roux, deglazing, blanching, caramelizing to name a few.

There's a whole list here (https://www.d.umn.edu/~alphanu/cookery/glossary_cooking.html) if you need some more.