PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Would you allow a L3 Lore Bard to take Thieves' Tools as one of their proficiencies?

Shining Wrath
2015-12-03, 09:25 PM
I ask because the bard in question is a DMPC; my little girl and I are playing through HotDQ and I'm running a bard and a life cleric to make her sorcerer, ranger, and monk look good. I don't want to cheat on my own behalf, but no one knows how to pick locks and it keeps coming up.

MightyDog16
2015-12-03, 09:30 PM
It's not game-breaking and it would make the game more fun so why not?

bid
2015-12-03, 09:40 PM
Tools and languages can be learned during downtime, skills cannot. You're downgrading yourself for more fun, it's a worthy goal. :smallwink:

Talyn
2015-12-03, 09:51 PM
Our group considers skills, tool proficiencies, and languages interchangeable. We'd 100% allow it.

Shining Wrath
2015-12-03, 10:26 PM
Our group considers skills, tool proficiencies, and languages interchangeable. We'd 100% allow it.

Yeah, there's a solid feat-based argument for that; Linguist gives you 3 languages, Skilled, 3 feats skill.

If Skilled gave you 3 feats it would be as good as a DM that let you wish for more wishes on a ring of 3 wishes.

"I want Sentinel, Polearm Master, and ... Skilled! Then I want Great Weapon Master, Alert, and ... Skilled!"

2015-12-03, 10:50 PM
Yeah, there's a solid feat-based argument for that; Linguist gives you 3 languages, Skilled, 3 feats.

Skilled gives you either three skills or three tools, so there's precedent there as well.

Shining Wrath
2015-12-03, 10:55 PM
Skilled gives you either three skills or three tools, so there's precedent there as well.

And if you notice, every background gives you a total of two languages and / or tools, so there's precedent there.

Mr.Moron
2015-12-03, 11:00 PM
Why not? Seems fair to me.

coredump
2015-12-04, 12:22 AM
I ask because the bard in question is a DMPC; my little girl and I are playing through HotDQ and I'm running a bard and a life cleric to make her sorcerer, ranger, and monk look good. I don't want to cheat on my own behalf, but no one knows how to pick locks and it keeps coming up.

I think you are looking at this *completely* wrong. You are playing a game with just you and your young daughter. Don't be so concerned about what is exactly RAW or precisely balanced. Its not like you are getting 2 extra attacks and a Holy Avenger. Play, have fun....

djreynolds
2015-12-04, 03:00 AM
Doesn't urchin and criminal give you thieves' tool proficiency. Skilled feat is 3 of your choice, any.

I say just change your background around and go custom.

SharkForce
2015-12-04, 03:42 AM
technically not RAW, but i'd allow it anyways as it is unlikely to break anything.

that said, you don't *need* proficiency (especially as a bard). it just helps to have it.

Shining Wrath
2015-12-04, 07:10 AM
I think you are looking at this *completely* wrong. You are playing a game with just you and your young daughter. Don't be so concerned about what is exactly RAW or precisely balanced. Its not like you are getting 2 extra attacks and a Holy Avenger. Play, have fun....

I didn't think anyone was going to complain, exactly :smallsmile: If it'd been someone else I'd have allowed it, but it's always nice to check yourself from time to time.