PDA

View Full Version : Would you consider Redcloak as being a zealot

Guts
2007-06-08, 07:25 PM
I'm getting tired about all these threads about Miko. I have heard some say that one of Miko's faults is her fervent devotion to her deities which they believe she uses to justify her actions. Would you coinsider redcloak having the same quality of being highly devout? Or it doesnt matter since his god is likely to be evil?
I know he doesnt talk about his god's plan for him all the time like miko, but I assume that he must be trying to carry out his god's plan to some extent since he is high priest and has not lost his powers or noticeably been given
a reprimand. I dont play D&D and im very dumb:smallfrown: , so i doubt im using the right words to express my question, but i would like your input please.

the mysterian
2007-06-08, 07:29 PM
red cloak has a little thing called common sense so i say no.

BRC
2007-06-08, 07:36 PM
Nah, Despite being the high priest, Redcloak dosn't seem overtly religious, he dosnt charge into battle screaming "FOR THE DARK ONE", it looks like he veiws his religious position as just another way to get power.
However, this is a Goblin god we are talking about, so maybe the way you show devotion is by aiding all goblinkind.

Counterpower
2007-06-08, 07:39 PM
I doubt he sees signs everywhere or goes as literally as he possibly can to the tenets of his faith, so, no. Redcloak is not a Miko-esque zealot.

That, however, does not mean he's any better than Miko. Redcloak may be more honest about his position, but he's still evil. (Although Miko IS pushing really hard for that second qualifier.............)

eilandesq
2007-06-08, 07:39 PM
Considering how useful that necrophiliac mystic theurge would have been when he and Xykon were fighting for their lives/unlives against Soon and the positive energy spirits and that they would have lost without Miko's timely blunder, I'd say that he might want to work on that "I hate all humans and won't work with them" attitude, at least to the extent of dropping the last part of that sentence. If he can't, that would have to be considered a rather zealatrous attitude on his part--evil is one thing, but lack of willingness to consider useful and motivated allies is just stupid.

Counterpower
2007-06-08, 07:42 PM
Considering how useful that necrophiliac mystic theurge would have been when he and Xykon were fighting for their lives/unlives against Soon and the positive energy spirits and that they would have lost without Miko's timely blunder, I'd say that he might want to work on that "I hate all humans and won't work with them" attitude, at least to the extent of dropping the last part of that sentence. If he can't, that would have to be considered a rather zealatrous attitude on his part--evil is one thing, but lack of willingness to consider useful and motivated allies is just stupid.

Very true, and I forgot to consider that. Miko hates what she percieves as evil. Problem one is that blind hatred really is a bad idea and problem two is that her perceptions are simply horrible. Redcloak does share problem one with Miko, except directed at humans rather than evil.

Demented
2007-06-08, 07:56 PM
Is Redcloak zealous? Definitely.
Is he a zealot? ...Nooot reaallly...

He'll siege a human city when he gets the chance, but he's not going to go out of his way to do this or that in accordance with his enmity against humans. But whether that makes him less of a zealot, or just a zealot with patience, is tough to decide.

Pyrian
2007-06-08, 08:03 PM
I think anybody who shows so much devotion to their Gods that said Gods actually grant them magical powers is probably a zealot. :smallcool: Miko's not really a zealot at all (at least not anymore) - she's a self-deluding megalomaniac, which is really something different.

Faramir
2007-06-08, 08:30 PM
No, I would characterize him as being devout without being a zealot (of course being the devout follower of a god that wants all non-goblins dead and possibly the entire world destroyed is not really a good thing).

Miko is certainly a zealot, taking all her own opinions and saying (and believing) that they are the gods' will. And of course seeing everything in black and white (only allowable in the prequel books).

TheNovak
2007-06-08, 08:32 PM
Honestly, I don't think Redcloak would even be religious if he didn't know, first-hand, that his god existed and granted him spells. I do think he's driven to exterminate the Sapphire Guard in revenge for his tribe and family, though. His god's probably just happy to see him kickin' some human butt.

Elliot Kane
2007-06-08, 10:25 PM
As Redcloak is the high priest rather than just any old cleric, I think its pretty safe to say he is devout. He certainly seems to take his responsibility as bearer of the crimson mantle very seriously. Even his name - Redcloak - is a clear reference to his office rather than a name as such.

Is he a zealot? Well, that's harder to say, but trying to harness the Snarl is not exactly the act of someone who is wholly sane, as it threatens the world with destruction.

He could be absolutely fanatical in the service of his god without having to mention him every five seconds.

I'd say there's not enough evidence to say for sure if he is a zealot or not, but I'm tending more towards guessing 'yes'...

Haruspex
2007-06-08, 10:30 PM
Fervent devotion is not really a fault, in my opinion. Durkon seems fairly devoted to Thor; he was the one who saw the "sign" in the rain storm when Miko first accosted them. What you do with it is more important. Durkon and Redcloak both seem to have retained their sanity despite their positions as servants of their respective deities.