PDA

View Full Version : Bladesinger thoughts

Dalebert
2015-12-03, 11:16 PM
So I decided to give one a shot. I like wizards and bladesingers seem like one of the best options for them. As a wizard, I'm not a fan of any level dips. I want access to the highest level spells and more spell slots as quickly as possible. I don't actually care much for being a gish, but the BS offers some survivability with the AC boost and the combat options are nice but just icing. Meanwhile, the boost to concentration is just making me a better wizard so I really like that.

So given those as my motivations, here are a few build decisions I've made but curious what folks think. Oh dear. Careful what you ask for! ;)

Martial weapon: Whip
Bladesinging will mostly be a defensive act. I don't really want to fight much but this way I can use the reach to attack without fully engaging and can still retreat back after attacks. I can throw daggers as a bonus action after attacking. (nope. my bad) For range, I will start with just my longbow. It does more damage than any cantrip (d8+3) and has better range. I don't even have a ranged attack cantrip to start but will eventually take Chill touch.

Cantrips: Minor Illusion, Message, Shocking Grasp, Acid Splash (for heavily armored but not agile opponents)

4th lvl ASI: Int +2
Int has even more bang for the buck for a BS as it gives AC and concentration boost.

8th lvl ASI: Int, Warcaster, or Spell Sniper
Warcaster is always nice, but I don't know yet if it will be that big of a deal for this character's style. I may find I'll be doing fine maintaining concentration with the help of bladesong and maybe I won't be doing much melee. That's kind of the plan, after all. As an 8th level wizard, even with 2 attacks, how often will I want to conserve spell slots and actually go into melee? Just having a whip in hand for AoO would leave a hand free for casting. Someone pointed out that having spell sniper would allow me to use Booming Blade with a whip which would be nice; not justifiable by itself but combined with the other benefits of Spell Sniper could make it worthwhile. I haven't yet played a wizard into high levels yet. Do you find that you cast attack spells into melee a lot?

12th lvl ASI: Int, Warcaster, or Spell Sniper
I definitely want to have 20 Int by now and probably one feat or the other. If I get this far, I'm not sure what to take after. Dex won't hurt. Several skills are dex-based and of course AC and the occasional melee.