PDA

View Full Version : Question about were____

Dann
2007-06-08, 09:16 PM
In a game I'm DMing the characters recently ran into some lycanthropes. They were fighting a wereboar (in boar form) when the sorceror cast Daze on it. Daze only works on humanoids of 4 HD or less. But the SRD description of a wereboar's boar form calls it a humanoid. http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/monstersKtoL.html#wereboar

I eventually decided to let it work, but I'm not sure if that was a good idea. Polymorphing/Shapeshifting in general is pretty complicated.

The problem is, now the bard, who knows that Daze is only supposed to work on humanoids, is planning on casting charm person on one next time. The question is, should charm person work on a wereboar in boar form (or any other lycanthrope in animal form)? And if not, should Daze similarly not have worked?

I ask now because charming is certainly more powerful than dazing, so I want to make sure I get it right. It won't be game breaking or anything. Thanks for your help!

Jasdoif
2007-06-08, 09:26 PM
Despite their shapechanging ability, lycanthropes retain their type (humanoid or giant) in all their forms. So yes, charm person will work on them, if their type is humanoid. Daze will also work, as long as they have 4 HD or less, as normal.

Dann
2007-06-08, 09:33 PM
Great, glad to hear I was right in letting it work. Thanks for the info!

PinkysBrain
2007-06-08, 09:39 PM
Lycanthropes get iron will as a bonus feat, their will save isn't that bad. Spells can end the threat of dangerous opponent by 1 failed save, better get used it ... that aspect of the game won't go away ;) (You can cheat of course though.)