PDA

View Full Version : Way to make other undead?

Tvtyrant
2015-12-03, 11:52 PM
Outside of the undead made by animate, create and creat greater undead what ways are there to make undead? I specifically want to know how to make vampires and nightwings with a spell instead of schlepping around looking for one.

MisterKaws
2015-12-04, 12:13 AM
I don't think there's any on Wizards' material, you should have a better chance with third-party or homebrew.

Xar Zarath
2015-12-04, 12:25 AM
Animate Dead has some uses especially on some types of undead which use Animate Dead as the spell to create them. Fast Zombies need Animate Dead and a Haste potion poured over them. Necrosis Carnex need a few bodies, some iron links (if I recall correctly) and Animate Dead for ten minutes.

Create Undead spells can usually make any kind of undead as long as you're DM approves. If your DM gives you the green light, any sort of undead in the books can be made, just exercise some self restraint. If your party members get overshadowed by the bevy of vamps and spectres or famine spirits, then no one is happy. Vamps can be created by a Greater Create Undead spell but that is if your DM approves. It doesn't say it can do that in the spell but there is a little bit of leeway in this thinking so ask for permission first.

As for nightwings and the like, check out the Epic Animate Dead spell. There you can create vamps and whatever undead you feel like, just check HD and stuff. If you're not into epic, maybe try and make it a special 9th level ritual spell? There are a few good 3rd party books with necromancy related spells and undead creating spells.

Maybe check out Secret College of Necromancy, Encyclopaedia Arcane-Necromancy, Hollowfaust, Relics and Rituals maybe, or perhaps look at other editions like 2e's Complete Guide to the Necromancer. That one is good, just update it to the version you like.

That's all I can think of for now.

Seginus
2015-12-04, 12:31 AM
Outside of the undead made by animate, create and creat greater undead what ways are there to make undead? I specifically want to know how to make vampires and nightwings with a spell instead of schlepping around looking for one.

While not exactly "making" undead, the Summon Horror (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/3rd-party-spells/ascension-games/summon-horror) line of spells can conjure a number of undead things; summon horror IX in particular can summon a nightwing. It is 3PP, though, so that may be a no-go at your table.

ShurikVch
2015-12-04, 10:47 AM
Ghostwalk have Flesh of Orcus - when some living creature eat it, will die and turn into vampire; 6000 gp

Shrouds of the Unholy (http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/dx20021031x):
If a dead body is wrapped in the shroud, and the command word spoken, the body will return as undead. The type of undead it returns as is determined by the speaker of the command word.

3.0 version of Create Greater Undead was able to make Vampire at CL 18-19

NorthernPhoenix
2015-12-04, 12:42 PM
With Epic Magic you should be able to make any type of undead, even one you make up, with the Origin of the Species spell, modified with the Animate Dead seed if necessary.