PDA

View Full Version : Get Smart

Pink
2007-06-08, 10:46 PM
Okay, first of all, anyone else Like Get Smart? Anyone even heard of it?

Anyway, it seems this classic spy comedy tv show will be soon turned into a movie as well, and I'm worried that it will not be treated correctly. Partly because the batches of movies made from older TV shows just seem to be hit or miss generally.

But mostly, I just don't think they can replace Don Adams with any actor. I mean, He IS Maxwell Smart. While Steve Carell (The 40-Year Old virgin, Evan Allmighty) may bear a resemblance, I don't think he can quite pull of the role of the sophisticated yet bumbling Maxwell smart, nor be able to imitate the legendary voice that's almost just as much a part of the character.

So....anybody other then me have any interest at all in this?

ARMOURERERIC
2007-06-08, 11:12 PM
Hi,

I am a huge fan of the original series, which BTW, is now available on DVD for the entire series, in an excellently done package.

Unfortunately all reports on the filming are leading to a big dissapointment, you can read all the bad news via the message board here:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0425061/

Also check out the bast fan site ever

http://www.wouldyoubelieve.com/index.html

Would you believe that I had to climb a 20,000 mountain to make this post

How about 3 flights of stairs

How about jumping over a speed bump

Eric

Pink
2007-06-08, 11:29 PM
...First of all, thank you for the fan site.

Second of all, curse you for showing me yet more stuff I will have to put my precious spending money towards.

Reading the site's review of the upcoming movie and...oh dear...I was fearing something like Johnny English...

ARMOURERERIC
2007-06-08, 11:37 PM
I have seen broken up DVD sets on ebay, where indivisual year sets are going for around $50

Eric

BTW where are you really in Canada?

Eric

Holy_Knight
2007-06-13, 03:58 PM
I have the same concerns you do, Pink. Do you remember the new Get Smart show that they made in the mid-nineties? The writers went for T&A instead of staying true to what the original show was like, with the result that it sucked, despite even having Don Adams and Barbara Feldon in the cast (albeit not as the main characters). So I'm similarly concerned about the movie, although I'm hoping we'll all get really lucky and be pleasantly surprised.

TheEmerged
2007-06-13, 04:50 PM
I have the same concerns you do, Pink. Do you remember the new Get Smart show that they made in the mid-nineties? The writers went for T&A instead of staying true to what the original show was like, with the result that it sucked, despite even having Don Adams and Barbara Feldon in the cast (albeit not as the main characters). So I'm similarly concerned about the movie, although I'm hoping we'll all get really lucky and be pleasantly surprised.

No, I don't remember it and I'd like to keep it that way :smallbiggrin:

Actually, I have to concur that it stunk, badly. There was one cute sequence with Don Adams in Vegas accidentally avoiding a series of assassination attempts while the singer is trying to warn him, and that's it.

"There's a man, Chief... right behind you... and he's tryyyyyying, to rub, you off, Chief..."

MPHopcroft
2007-06-13, 11:05 PM
The lead actor was quoted as asking the assembled press if they'd seen it, and then when told they had, saying "I'm sorry."

Don Adams and Maxwell Smart were the perfect match of actor to character (not surprisingly, as the role was written with him in mind). The one thing about him that frustrated the directors was, try as they might, they could not get him to botch the hand-to-hand combat scenes -- Adams had been a Marine in WWII, won a Purple heart in Guadalcanal, and then served as a Drill Instructor for the rest of the war, so he just couldn't fake being bad at fighting.

Serpentine
2007-06-14, 10:55 AM
Ugh, a movie? Without Don Adams? Can't they just let them lie in peace?! Ye gods!
Hopcroft, I'm inclined to think that that's part of what made Maxwell Smart so great - he wasn't actually bad at his job just... unlucky... and a little clueless.

JadedDM
2007-06-14, 05:02 PM
I loved that show.

But clearly, Hollywood has long ago run out of ideas.

What's next? F-Troop movie?

Kitya
2007-06-15, 11:22 AM
*chuckles* Eric, Cow Town is the nickname of the city where Pink lives, but probly only other Canadians (yes I am one, even tho I live in Indiana now) know it. It's just like Winnipeg is called Winterpeg, and Saskatoon is called Toon Town. I'm not going to actually name the city, in case Pink likes remaining mysterious about it. :smallwink:

As for making Get Smart into a movie, I expect it to be as bad as the Pink Panther movie was. You just can't replace these amazing actors in a remake.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-06-15, 11:24 AM
I loved it when I was a kid. Haven't seen it in probably 12 years though, so no idea if I'd still find it amusing.

Telonius
2007-06-15, 11:28 AM
I loved that show.

But clearly, Hollywood has long ago run out of ideas.

What's next? F-Troop movie?

Nah, Green Acres. I can see it now, starring David Hasselhoff and Paris Hilton .... :yuk: