PDA

View Full Version : No she's not dead, don't you dare make another thread

Nightmarenny
2007-06-08, 10:58 PM
This is a pre-emptive thread for the eventural "Miko's dead" threads. She's not. She is a higher level than Ochul and even he make it in one peice. Alive or not. But She will be back. You have seen her survive worse.

See (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0374.html)

An no, Paladin powers don't give her more HP

And no she wont die because this is a tramatic moment and the other wasn't

and no, she wouldn't be vaporised by pure Chaos because that was clearly good aligned gate energy which is why O-chul only suffered Explosive damage.

If she is dead she's still appearing again. You know she is.

And yes Im alittle crazy.

Setra
2007-06-08, 11:01 PM
I honestly think she is going to survive.

Now I'm interested in how that changed her... Because I'm starting to believe the silly theory I made up.

SPoD
2007-06-08, 11:02 PM
Well, just to play Devil's Advocate, O-Chul could have a higher Constitution. A level 10 paladin with a 20 Con has more hit points than a level 13 paladin/level 2 monk with a 12 Con (105 vs. 92). Plus, he still has Divine Grace, while Miko doesn't.

Level isn't everything.

kirbsys
2007-06-08, 11:02 PM
Actually we have no idea whether she's alive or dead, but personally, I think that an ENORMOUS explosion would do more damage than the MITD, I mean sure she punched through a wall, but on the other hand the 'splosion destroyed the AC keep.

Bluelantern
2007-06-08, 11:03 PM
there is a little something, above the castle, in the left side, who I think that could be her? anythoughts?

Setra
2007-06-08, 11:04 PM
there is a little something, above the castle, in the left side, who I think that could be her? anythoughts?
Hmm it could be humanoid.

It's possible, though even if it is her it doesn't mean she did (Or didn't) survive. I think she did.

Nightmarenny
2007-06-08, 11:05 PM
Its awefully gray...

kirbsys
2007-06-08, 11:05 PM
I cant see anything...

David Demola
2007-06-08, 11:06 PM
Its awefully gray...

It's probably O'Chul, since he's featured in the later panel.

kirbsys
Although there does seem to be a small chunk of castle...

Poppatomus
That sad thing is it's entirely possible that no one will ever know the truth.

kirbsys
2007-06-08, 11:07 PM
Yeah what if Rich never says one way or another about Miko? That'd suck...

Alysar
2007-06-08, 11:08 PM
No! Wait! She did survive, but only because she's an evil robot from the future....

*SMACK*

I'm ok now. Everything's cool.

Setra
2007-06-08, 11:09 PM
If she never comes back, she died.

If she comes back, and is still living, she is alive.

If she's a zombie, she died.

Alysar
2007-06-08, 11:10 PM
Ok. Once again, people. Rich has stated that Miko will be in the comic all the way through to the end.

Gavin Sage
2007-06-08, 11:10 PM
I'm betting she got umm... sucked in and is going to return sometime later.

Lord Zentei
2007-06-08, 11:11 PM
I honestly think she is going to survive.

Now I'm interested in how that changed her... Because I'm starting to believe the silly theory I made up.

Since I missed it, what silly theory was that?

Poppatomus
2007-06-08, 11:11 PM
I don't mean whether she lives or dies, I mean the manner of it. That she destroyed the gate, that Soon rose, the O-Chul was paralyzed, that Xykon was near defeat.

It may take a very long time before the truth comes out.

Jannex
2007-06-08, 11:12 PM
Monks get Evasion, don't they?

kirbsys
2007-06-08, 11:12 PM
Next comic:
Elan and Haley in a bed
Haley wakes up and goes: "Elan I had the worst dream! Miko blew up Soon's gate!!!"
Elan: Who's Miko?
Dun nuh nuh!!!

Setra
2007-06-08, 11:13 PM
Since I missed it, what silly theory was that?
I only posted it once as a joke.

I said that her killing the Sapphire would somehow turn her into a Blackguard.

I've seen a lot of stories where someone comes into contact with an evil otherworldly entity, and are changed by it. What if, she comes into the contact with the snarl, who makes her his minion on earth, she's probably quite vulnerable to something as such at this point.

CardinalFang
2007-06-08, 11:14 PM
I stand by my statement that she should come back in a parody of the original Dark and Stormy Night comic. A big crash of thunder, a lot of rain, and a bolt of lightning, followed by a loud groan and cries of "not again!" from everyone else. :smallbiggrin:

Dalenthas
2007-06-08, 11:15 PM
Just because the OP didn't put spoiler in the title...

Alright, I'm not going to say 100% that Miko is dead, but she has a shelf life of about 3 comics, and if there's still no sign of her we have to assume she's life-signs negative. Its just good writing, and the story so far shows Rich to be a good writer. There's no reason to explicitly show one character surviving and leave anothers fate to be guessed.
I personally am going to assume she's dead until proven otherwise. If she's alive, then she has to be shown positively alive within 3 comics (probably one), or it'll just shatter my suspension of disbelief. I'm giving 3 comics so the Order has time to go to the castle and start picking through the ruins so we can have Durkon (or I suppose Haley or Elan, not Belkar though) can say "I've found a survivor!" or somesuch. If it takes longer than that to show she's alive, then the story will drag on forever...

Haruspex
2007-06-08, 11:16 PM
Even if Miko is going to be in the strip until the end, she doesn't have to be alive. Roy's dad has been in the strip too, and he isn't living.

That aside, I think the survival of O-Chul is a good indicator that Miko yet lives.

Solara
2007-06-08, 11:18 PM
She's fine. In the next comic she'll hit the ground hard and afterwards a large chunk of castle will land on top of her. She'll then recommend that the castle go on a diet. Also getting squished in this manner is a clear sign that she is the Chosen One and on the right path in her divine mission from the gods.

Nightmarenny
2007-06-08, 11:18 PM
I only posted it once as a joke.

I said that her killing the Sapphire would somehow turn her into a Blackguard.

I've seen a lot of stories where someone comes into contact with an evil otherworldly entity, and are changed by it. What if, she comes into the contact with the snarl, who makes her his minion on earth, she's probably quite vulnerable to something as such at this point.So.. she becomes Kai Wyn?

Alright, I'm not going to say 100% that Miko is dead, but she has a shelf life of about 3 comics, and if there's still no sign of her we have to assume she's life-signs negative. Its just good writing, and the story so far shows Rich to be a good writer. There's no reason to explicitly show one character surviving and leave anothers fate to be guessed.
I personally am going to assume she's dead until proven otherwise. If she's alive, then she has to be shown positively alive within 3 comics (probably one), or it'll just shatter my suspension of disbelief. I'm giving 3 comics so the Order has time to go to the castle and start picking through the ruins so we can have Durkon (or I suppose Haley or Elan, not Belkar though) can say "I've found a survivor!" or somesuch. If it takes longer than that to show she's alive, then the story will drag on forever...

Im sorry I didn't think something this basic needed it. If the mods ask I'll change it. How would your suspension of disbelief die because of this? Curious.

Demented
2007-06-08, 11:21 PM
If O'chul can survive, so can she.

Of course, in her opinion she'll have survived by the grace of the twelve gods, who aren't finished with her yet.

Alysar
2007-06-08, 11:21 PM
Even if Miko is going to be in the strip until the end, she doesn't have to be alive. Roy's dad has been in the strip too, and he isn't living.

That aside, I think the survival of O-Chul is a good indicator that Miko yet lives.

Well, yeah. I wasn't really commenting on her being alive or not. I was responding to the comments that we would never see her again.

mec
2007-06-08, 11:22 PM
There's a little chip up and to the left from the center of the explosion, about 11:00 position. But in color and shape, it looks more like the throne than like Miko.

Setra
2007-06-08, 11:23 PM
So.. she becomes Kai Wyn?
Um.. who is Kai Wyn?

Solara
2007-06-08, 11:24 PM
Um.. who is Kai Wyn?

Google is your friend. :smallwink:

Setra
2007-06-08, 11:26 PM
Google is your friend. :smallwink:
Didn't find much.. is she from Deep Space 9?

Nightmarenny
2007-06-08, 11:37 PM

Yes.

In the Begining of the series the main character becomes the "Emissary the the Prophets(The Bajorian gods)" Kai Wyn is their religious Leader and is jealous of Sisko(main character) for being closer to them and makes every attempt to undermind, control and discredit him. In the end She is tricked by the main villian Dukat into beleiving the Prophets are liers who trapped the real Prophet and claim they were Devils. She wanted any hint of destiny, she could get. So she believes him and goes on to nearly release the Pah-Wraiths(their devils) which would have destroyed and mangled her world.

P.S. Upon further Reflection I believe that I should have said that she can't be out of the comic yet. As she could briefly die and still surve her purpose. Still I doubt she did.

Albonor
2007-06-08, 11:43 PM
People, people! O-Chul was on one side of the throne and landed on the field. Miko was on the opposite side and must have been blown up...into the ocean! You know...right next to Kubota's junk for instance? That would give her quite the ressources and continue to put pressure on Hinjo!

BTW: less falling damage that way so she would have a greater chance of survival!!

Demented
2007-06-08, 11:45 PM
Kubota and Miko.... Not such a bad match, actually.

"Love is in the air..."

Setra
2007-06-08, 11:48 PM
n the end She is tricked by the main villian Dukat into beleiving the Prophets are liers who trapped the real Prophet and claim they were Devils. She wanting any hint of destiny she could get and so believes him and goes on to nearly release the Pah-Wraiths(their devils) which would have destroyed and mangled her world.
Then yeah, something like that.

Nightmarenny
2007-06-08, 11:51 PM
People, people! O-Chul was on one side of the throne and landed on the field. Miko was on the opposite side and must have been blown up...into the ocean! You know...right next to Kubota's junk for instance? That would give her quite the ressources and continue to put pressure on Hinjo!

BTW: less falling damage that way so she would have a greater chance of survival!!

Her falling into the ocean ups her chance of survival alot. Why? Comedy law. She has a chance to sit on Hinjo's Junk, she has to take it. Maybe she'll even take it to the northern port the southern port being in such bad shape after all.

Im sure she's already proficiant at controlling his junk being the highest SG member Shojo must have let her mave it for fun a couple times. Afterall he's old enough i'd be indignant to play with his junk alone.

Setra
2007-06-08, 11:53 PM
:miko: Hinjo! Your junk has given me a chance to survive?

Hinjo: You landed on my junk?

:miko: Yes, I lived there for a period of time. Now then, I can kill you *slash slash*

Hinjo: Wait, you slept on my junk too? *defend*

*more puns*

see
2007-06-08, 11:57 PM
Plus, he still has Divine Grace, while Miko doesn't.

If you're paralyzed, you can't move. If you can't move, you don't get a Reflex save. If you don't get a save, Divine Grace doesn't help.

David Argall
2007-06-08, 11:59 PM
What is this love of the idea of Miko as Blackguard? She makes a lousy blackguard. There is just nothing interesting about her as a blackguard. She is completely dull. I suppose the idea is "I hate Miko. Therefore, she has to be evil." But she is so much more interesting and story useful as on the side of good. The hero you hate is so fitting...

Look, try to suggest some plot that a blackguard Miko is not the same as generic NPC blackguard. She just has nothing that adds to the role. She is a different hero, and can give us a number of different story lines as a hero.

Of course that assumes she is something other than meat. This, after all, is a fairly classic hero death. For all the possibilities, our writer may have decided she is played out, and so out she could go.

Dr'uun Unnh
2007-06-09, 12:07 AM
I hope Miko survives.

I put my browser on 1000% zoom and it looks blue.

::)

What is this love of the idea of Miko as Blackguard?
Evil = better wardrobe?

gooddragon1
2007-06-09, 12:08 AM
I am amazed that o'chul survived the falling damage, but I really hope that miko doesn't make it. She's just annoying on so many levels and that's just my opinion so others my disagree with it as they wish.

Nightmarenny
2007-06-09, 12:12 AM
What is this love of the idea of Miko as Blackguard? She makes a lousy blackguard. There is just nothing interesting about her as a blackguard. She is completely dull. I suppose the idea is "I hate Miko. Therefore, she has to be evil." But she is so much more interesting and story useful as on the side of good. The hero you hate is so fitting...

Look, try to suggest some plot that a blackguard Miko is not the same as generic NPC blackguard. She just has nothing that adds to the role. She is a different hero, and can give us a number of different story lines as a hero.

Of course that assumes she is something other than meat. This, after all, is a fairly classic hero death. For all the possibilities, our writer may have decided she is played out, and so out she could go.Being good doesn't make you a hero and Miko defidently ain't.

As for an interesting Miko Blackgaurd.... eh I'll give it a shot. Granted if Miko becomes evil the class will probably be house-ruled but we will just assume she's got similer style and this change is because of the effects the Snarl(for convienence)

Evil Miko is a God Complex'ed creature who fell not because she's evil but is so prideful that as the Gods seperate their ties with her she disides that the Gods must be wrong as they disagree with her. The Snarl takes advantage of this. Seeing a useful object of control it convinces her that the Snarl has guided her to this point that her true destiny lies in plunging the world in Chaos where only true conrol can exist and she needing a new world view latchs on to this. She becomes the third Faction, one Seeking to Protect the Gates, one to destroy it, one to control it.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-06-09, 12:12 AM
I have but one word:

:miko::Evasion!

Seriously, that ability lets you dodge any "Reflex half" effect while standing still in a 5'x5'x5' cube for no damage. She's fine.

Nightmarenny
2007-06-09, 12:14 AM
I have but one word:

Seriously, that ability lets you dodge any "Reflex half" effect while standing still in a 5'x5'x5' cube for no damage. She's fine.
And you assume that this was a Half damage effect why?

P.S.Proof Id make a terrible lawyer

Jannex
2007-06-09, 12:18 AM
Surprisingly, as much as I dislike Miko, I find myself not cheerleading the possibility of her death. Perhaps it's just because I find it so unlikely from a laws-of-narrative-expectation perspective, but I think it's because she's such a delightful source of shadenfreude for me... I enjoy seeing her screw up. For me, she's always been iconic of everything that can go wrong with the Lawful Good/Paladin archetype, and every time she goes a little bit crazier, or leaps to an absurdly unsupported conclusion, or brings the world a little bit closer to its ultimate destruction, I feel proven right. Besides, if she died, then Belkar wouldn't have the opportunity to mess with her anymore, and that would just be tragic. So no, I don't think Miko's going to die this time around (aforementioned Evasion being put to work--at least she's still got some class features that still function!), nor would I want her to, yet. She's still got so much more crazy left to discover! :smallamused:

Bilgore
2007-06-09, 12:19 AM
Hmm it could be humanoid.

It's possible, though even if it is her it doesn't mean she did (Or didn't) survive. I think she did.

It's pretty clearly a chunk of stone--if you look in the 1:00 position, you can clearly see the airborne figures of Xykon and Redcloak. There are no other humanoid figures in the air.

Jannex
2007-06-09, 12:22 AM
Being good doesn't make you a hero and Miko defidently ain't.

As for an interesting Miko Blackgaurd.... eh I'll give it a shot. Granted if Miko becomes evil the class will probably be house-ruled but we will just assume she's got similer style and this change is because of the effects the Snarl(for convienence)

Evil Miko is a God Complex'ed creature who fell not because she's evil but is so prideful that as the Gods seperate their ties with her she disides that the Gods must be wrong as they disagree with her. The Snarl takes advantage of this. Seeing a useful object of control it convinces her that the Snarl has guided her to this point that her true destiny lies in plunging the world in Chaos where only true conrol can exist and she needing a new world view latchs on to this. She becomes the third Faction, one Seeking to Protect the Gates, one to destroy it, one to control it.

I like it!

And I agree; Miko was never a "hero" in any sense other than by the Classical Greek definition, which essentially amounted to being able to accomplish superhuman feats of violence.

Setra
2007-06-09, 12:23 AM
It's pretty clearly a chunk of stone--if you look in the 1:00 position, you can clearly see the airborne figures of Xykon and Redcloak. There are no other humanoid figures in the air.
I was presuming a view from the back, where you'd see the cloak.

Either way, this doesn't prove, or disprove, her being alive.

Unrepentant
2007-06-09, 12:30 AM
Wow! Look, I don't want to go all forum Nazi and tell people what they can and cannot discuss, but seriously people? Miko dead? Think about it. When was the last time any major character in any comic, television show, movie, novel, etc... actually DIED in an explosion when you haven't seen the body? I don't know where Miko is going in this story - blackguard, redemption, maybe even just becoming a fighter who unclenches a bit...but I do know this. There is no way that we're not seeing more of Miko.

Kamakazee_Gnome
2007-06-09, 12:31 AM
You know, this has already happened, Here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0246.html). I think she might just pull a similar thing to that. Only, you know, crazier.

Corwin Weber
2007-06-09, 12:33 AM

Of course that assumes she is something other than meat. This, after all, is a fairly classic hero death. For all the possibilities, our writer may have decided she is played out, and so out she could go.

They want her in a black leather bustier.

Jannex
2007-06-09, 12:41 AM

I mean, it'd certainly provide plenty of fodder for this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34127).

(Go on. Read it all the way through. I dare ya. :smallamused:)

Nerd-o-rama
2007-06-09, 12:52 AM

Explosion-like effects typically are. Fireball and its derivatives, a Balor's incendiary death throes, etc. I believe in d20 Future, even the damage caused by a nuclear explosion can be Reflex'd for half damage. Or for no damage by a third-level Fast Hero.

Icewalker
2007-06-09, 12:55 AM
Well I dunno, but I think she's probably dead. I think it'd make for a better plot point. I mean what will happen if she lived?

Everybody kills her? She lies her way into their trust by saying she had to do it? Or is deluded into thinking she is telling the truth about it?

I dunno, but I think it'd all work out better if she's dead. The fact that O-Chul survived does somewhat point against it though, yes.

Ampersand
2007-06-09, 01:22 AM
I suppose the idea is "I hate Miko. Therefore, she has to be evil."

She's also mean to the protagonist(s). It's nothing more than the Snape Factor at work, really.

Ermete
2007-06-09, 01:48 AM
I have but one word:

well...evasion and reflex saves assume that you can "dodge" in some way the explosion...but if you're at the centre of it? I mean if you strickly interpretate the rule, you may take no damages...but in this case I think nobody near the explosion (due to the radial effect of the explosion) should take any reflex save...well It's just what I think... everything is in Rich's hands...

PS: I beg you sorry for my poor english... :smalleek:

Nightmarenny
2007-06-09, 01:52 AM
well...evasion and reflex saves assume that you can "dodge" in some way the explosion...but if you're at the centre of it? I mean if you strickly interpretate the rule, you may take no damages...but in this case I think nobody near the explosion (due to the radial effect of the explosion) should take any reflex save...well It's just what I think... everything is in Rich's hands...

Well thats no nulcear explotion but havn't there been stories of people or things standing very near and not recieving any damage?

Ermete
2007-06-09, 02:07 AM
Well thats no nulcear explotion but havn't there been stories of people or things standing very near and not recieving any damage?

I don't know...I think that people who survived in such explosion were shielded by something (for example Hitler survived an explosion because he was protected by a table...)...but of course it's just what I think... but I don't mean that Miko is dead... I think she is survived... I wanna see what will happens (and what Hinjo & co. will do) when they discovered that she shattered the sapphire without it is needed... :smalltongue:

Jannex
2007-06-09, 02:20 AM

I think that, given the nature of OotS as a D&D-based webcomic, when it comes down to tension between real-world physics and game rules, the latter is most likely to win out--resulting in amusing reactions from the characters.

Vaarsuvius: There is no possible way you should have been able to survive an explosion of that magnitude!
Miko: I have Evasion.
Vaarsuvius: Even so, the sheer scope of that blast, and the energy behind it, was so all-encompassing that--
Haley: Unfortunately, she's right, V. I could have done the same thing.
Vaarsuvius: But she had no shelter into which she could have evaded! She would simply have dodged into more of the blast!
Haley: It doesn't matter. If you save, you save.
Vaarsuvius: That's absurd! It violates every known law of nature!
Elan: Um, V? Isn't violating nature one of your class features, too?
Belkar: *snicker* "Violating nature"...

Alex Warlorn
2007-06-09, 02:45 AM
Maybe Miko and Roy can meet up in the afterlife awaiting Judgement and the 12 Gods can finally set their wayward servant straight in the head!
And no, I don't think Vecna is going to show up wearing a bunny mask telling Miko to join team evil.

Ithekro
2007-06-09, 02:57 AM
"Violating nature" :smallbiggrin:

That's about as bad as her landing on Hinjo's junk.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-06-09, 03:58 AM
Well, just to play Devil's Advocate, O-Chul could have a higher Constitution. A level 10 paladin with a 20 Con has more hit points than a level 13 paladin/level 2 monk with a 12 Con (105 vs. 92). Plus, he still has Divine Grace, while Miko doesn't.

Level isn't everything.

O-chul is older though so he'll have lower con, but higher charisma.

Ageing paladins confuzzle me.

Aquillion
2007-06-09, 04:04 AM

There's another likely possibility you forgot to consider: Presumed dead for a while, dramatic return a hundred comics in the future as an antagonist or whatever. Although not presumed dead by the characters, because unless O-Chul finds them and tells them they won't even know she was anywhere near the throne room.

(Then again, this is D&D, so it's also possible for her to be actually dead for a hundred comics and still make a dramatic return. Not that I can think of anyone who would want to resurrect her... an extreme longshot would be Xykon's team, maybe, just because he knows she'll make trouble. Or Belkar, so he can kill her again--the best part is that she'd think she still has a destiny to fufill, so she'd keep accepting resurrections even though Belkar would just kill her again and again.)

Adoniis
2007-06-09, 04:08 AM
Did anyone stop to think that maybe, just maybe, that the thing inside the gate (name escapes me sorry) has somehow escaped and taken over Mikos body and THAT might be how she survives?

Sure I'm just grasping straws, but it is possible, anythings possible eh?

durrem
2007-06-09, 08:15 AM
Wooo Hoooo, she's dead!!! er, I mean...

You totally know she's going to have amnesia when she comes back, right?

LordVader
2007-06-09, 08:18 AM
Monks get Evasion, don't they?

Yes, but she's not a high enough level, and how do you evade an explosion that big?

Admiral_Kelly
2007-06-09, 08:25 AM
Ok. Once again, people. Rich has stated that Miko will be in the comic all the way through to the end.So he will never-ever change his mind? Once he announces something to the public he will never waver on it regardless of how the story grows and changes? I highly doubt that.

Guts
2007-06-09, 08:35 AM
My theory is that miko fell into the city in the midst of the hobbos and is too injured to defend herself and the hobbos decide to unleash their anger on her. They may kill her and mutilate her corpse (impalement preferably since she already has a stick up her ass), sacrifice her as a tribute to the Dark one or knock her up with a half human half hobbo baby.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-06-09, 08:44 AM
Huh, I wonder if I'm the only one who saw the explosion and didn't think a moment on if Miko survived. Until you brought it up she never even came into my mind.

Guess it just shows how much I care for our ex-paladin psycho :nale:

Nerd-o-rama
2007-06-09, 08:45 AM
Yes, but she's not a high enough level, and how do you evade an explosion that big?
1) Sure she is. She evaded V's Fireball in her first fight with the Order (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0200.html), and at least one other time since then.
2) How does anyone? Per the D&D rules, you can dodge any effect that even allows a reflex save, no matter how ridiculous it seems. Thus, it will have happened in the comic, and it will be played for laughs. Rich has been running on character humor for a while now, but I'm sure he wouldn't miss such an obvious potential rules joke.

Sigbru
2007-06-09, 08:50 AM
Well she is going to fall in a ocean of hodgoblins, without weapon(assuming) and no paladin powers, hurt and shocked...
she's not dead YET

Spiryt
2007-06-09, 08:54 AM
She's not Dead! She's just resting!

http://www.rockford.uic.edu/jc/dead%20parrot.jpg

PirateMonk
2007-06-09, 09:02 AM
I like it!

And I agree; Miko was never a "hero" in any sense other than by the Classical Greek definition, which essentially amounted to being able to accomplish superhuman feats of violence.

Sigged. :smallbiggrin:

What would be the DC on dodging this, though? Assuming Pal 13/ Monk 2, she has a +7 base save. Dex may not be high on her list of priorities, so she gets +3 from that at most. This means she can consistently dodge V's Fireballs, but might not be able to Evade the work of two epic or near epic characters, even if this wasn't the intended effect. Still, that just means that she takes full damage. It's possible that the energy was focused towards her, but that's even more of a stretch than everything else. So she's probably alive, though she may not necessarily remain so, as above.

Tividar's Thorn
2007-06-09, 10:45 AM

Well, it looked like a huge blue Fireball, why not allow a reflex save. She is a monk, right?

the_tick_rules
2007-06-09, 10:55 AM
she's totally alive.

SmartAlec
2007-06-09, 11:02 AM
Totally alive and on her way to Girard's Gate with the intention of destroying it.

Nathander
2007-06-09, 11:23 AM
Did anyone stop to think that maybe, just maybe, that the thing inside the gate (name escapes me sorry) has somehow escaped and taken over Mikos body and THAT might be how she survives?

Sure I'm just grasping straws, but it is possible, anythings possible eh?

Possible, but horrifically unlikely. From what we can tell, the Snarl will be unable to enact influence over the world again until all five gates are destroyed. Thus, it's unlikely Miko has been taken over by the Snarl, or that the Snarl even could, since it doesn't appear to possess any actual intelligence and is just an all powerful destroyer.

For the record, I'm thinking she's dead, but this doesn't necessarily mean she's gone for good. I'd second the idea of her ending up meeting Roy in the good-aligned afterlife, if just for the fact that I think THAT would be what would convince her she's fallen. After all, if she went to the same place were the evil Roy Greenhilt went when he died, she certainly must be evil.

Khoran
2007-06-09, 11:37 AM
I'm taking no stance on this, but it is possible that she did die from the explosion. I mean, we know Miko was the highest ranking Saphire Guard, but we don't know if she was the highest level Saphire Guard. The "But O-Chul survived" thing might be all for naught. O-chul could have 4 or 5 levels on Miko for all we know, or even rolled better for HP, or rolled all 1s for falling damage. Of course, this is putting it in game terms alone.

However, I don't really care either way. Really, you can try to logic it either way (Both sides can raise a decent arguement.) but ultimatly, Rich makes the call on wether she lives or dies, and no amount of rules lawyering will help/harm her. :P

I eat Jawas
2007-06-09, 12:09 PM
I am amazed that o'chul survived the falling damage, but I really hope that miko doesn't make it. She's just annoying on so many levels and that's just my opinion so others my disagree with it as they wish.

To say you don't want her to survive because she's annoying is like saying you don't want Team Evil in the comic, because they're the bad guys. If all the annoying, evil, dangerous and silly characters are removed from a story, you're left with a pretty thin plot.

I eat Jawas
2007-06-09, 12:13 PM
Everyone is saying that Miko must have survived because O'chul did. Incidentally, what are the mechanics for paralysis? Does the effect end on the death of the subject, or does it continue for it's full duration, at which point it's victim's corpse will collapse? I'm just saying that it's possible that O'chul did not survive, and when the spell wears off his eyes will unfreeze and become the traditional "X"s.

jindra34
2007-06-09, 12:15 PM
Everyone is saying that Miko must have survived because O'chul did. Incidentally, what are the mechanics for paralysis? Does the effect end on the death of the subject, or does it continue for it's full duration, at which point it's victim's corpse will collapse? I'm just saying that it's possible that O'chul did not survive, and when the spell wears off his eyes will unfreeze and become the traditional "X"s.

dude how many times must we say this.
1. The paralysis is a lich feature ability (not a spell) that has an infinite duration, O-chul will not unfreeze without magical aid...:smallfurious: :smallfurious: :smallfurious: :smallfurious: :smallfurious: :smallfurious:

Gol_Stoan
2007-06-09, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
Google is your friend.

Kai Winn (http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Kai_Winn), spelling is always helpful :smallbiggrin:
She was played by the same woman who played Nurse Ratchet in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

As for Miko, I think that she is still alive. If she did sucessfully "evade" the explosion would she even have been blown anywhere? In cartoon fashion I see her hovering over the explosion crater in mid-air for a second or two before falling in, her face covered in black soot, then going unconcious from the fall damage. Would Rich resist the opportunity to do a rules joke and a comic strip joke at the same time?

Aquillion
2007-06-09, 02:09 PM
This means she can consistently dodge V's Fireballs, but might not be able to Evade the work of two epic or near epic characters, even if this wasn't the intended effect.She was able to dodge V's fireballs so easily because she had Divine Grace back then giving her a big bonus to her saving throws. Not that it's impossible for her to still get a lucky roll and take no damage here, of course... just pointing that out.

Edit:
O-chul could have 4 or 5 levels on Miko for all we knowNope. We've been told that Miko was the highest-level (living) Paladin in the guard, so O-chul must be at least one level below her.

Ampersand
2007-06-09, 02:17 PM
Vaarsuvius: Even so, the sheer scope of that blast, and the energy behind it, was so all-encompassing that--
Haley: Unfortunately, she's right, V. I could have done the same thing.

Haley: And, as a point of fact, I have done the same thing! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0019.html)

You totally know she's going to have amnesia when she comes back, right?

Oh, totally.

:miko: Who is this "Miko" you rant about, and why do you try to hurt me for these crimes you say she committed?

(name here)
2007-06-09, 02:41 PM
I don't think she got a saving throw. In much the same way as someone who detonates a bomb strapped to their chest doesn't get a saving throw. At the least she is out a sword..

Sucrose
2007-06-09, 02:43 PM
If she never comes back, she died.

If she comes back, and is still living, she is alive.

If she's a zombie, she died.

So, until this is resolved, we have a quantum Miko? Half alive, half dead? An uncertainty lich (http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1014)?

Ampersand
2007-06-09, 05:23 PM
So, until this is resolved, we have a quantum Miko? Half alive, half dead? An uncertainty lich (http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1014)?

Schroedinger's Paladin*. To mangle a Terry Pratchett quote somewhat, "Until the box is opened there is no way to know if Miko is alive, dead, or bloody furious."

*Schroedinger's Ex-paladin/Fighter-without-bonus-feats doesn't roll off the tongue nearly so well

Sigbru
2007-06-09, 05:56 PM
To say you don't want her to survive because she's annoying is like saying you don't want Team Evil in the comic, because they're the bad guys. If all the annoying, evil, dangerous and silly characters are removed from a story, you're left with a pretty thin plot.

The evil team are pretty much more popular than the PC's (in some ppl opinion) Miko is just a die-hard fallen paladin hopefully dead super mega extra plus-advanced bitch

David Argall
2007-06-09, 09:21 PM
Miko is just a die-hard fallen paladin hopefully dead super mega extra plus-advanced bitch

But you say that like it was a bad thing.

Kobold
2007-06-09, 09:51 PM
But She will be back. You have seen her survive worse.

See (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0374.html)

And no she wont die because this is a tramatic moment and the other wasn't

I'd say a horse butt in the face would be quite traumatizing actually. Maybe you're experienced worse, but few humans have.

PaladinFreak
2007-06-09, 10:02 PM
I honestly don't know if she is dead or not. I would have said that no one could of survived that, but, seeing that O'Chul did, I wouldn't be surprised if she did.

Ridureyu
2007-06-10, 12:27 AM

She's asian. She won't fill it out.

Imrix.
2007-06-10, 04:06 AM
To me, she undoubtedly is dead, and so is O-Chul (see my post in t'other thread).

The slightly grey bit of rock is not her, to me. With all those tiny-but-recognisable humanoids around, if it WERE Miko, it'd be instantly obvious it was her. It's a piece of debris.

Which leads into my opinion; I don't care how high a level you are. You're at ground-zero of a magical explosion that shattered a CASTLE and most of the inner wall! Miko is dead.

Setra
2007-06-10, 04:12 AM
She's asian. She won't fill it out.
You have obviously not seen some of the asian .. er.. pictures I've seen.

Ps. OHGODWHY.

I was trying to find a picture of a busty (non nude) asian.. somehow the Goatse picture found itself on my screen.

Well at least I have pleasant images to look at too.