PDA

View Full Version : D&D: PrC dilemma for demon-hunting Wizard

SolkaTruesilver
2007-06-08, 11:55 PM
Hi there. I recently started playing a new group, and I get to play the party's wizard for the first time.

I am about to embark on the 6th level, and I was wondering the PrC choices that were layed out before me (the DM only accept the Complete Books, and the Races of).

My choice was first set on Mage of the Arcane Order. However, the whole game is about hunting demon cultist, demons, and the like. I just read the Rainbow Servant entry in Complete Divine, and it seemed quite nice.. so I just don't know which to take..

Here is our party:

- Duskblade5
- Fighter5
- Ranger2/Druid3
- Cleric of War deity5
- Wizard5 (me)

Thank you for your inputs

kpenguin
2007-06-08, 11:58 PM
Sacred Exorcist might be a good class for churchy demon-hunting wizards. Full caster progression as well, which Rainbow Servant doesn't have.

Call Me Siggy
2007-06-08, 11:59 PM
Demon hunting?

Book of Exalted Deeds is your friend. If your DM can see to it that the restriction does not apply to Evil outsiders, Apostle of Peace is amazing. It even turns them. Exalted Arcanist is also great if you want to retain Wizardyness. Sentinel of Bharrai is interesting as well. Still...even if you don't use an exalted PrC, the feats in there will help greatly.

EDIT:Celestial Mystic is also a great choice, as it allows you to cast spells that you would normally have to be a Celestial to do. On that note, look in, yes, BoED again for Sanctified spells. Those tend to have powerful effects agains evil creatures, and any class can cast them.

SolkaTruesilver
2007-06-09, 02:06 AM
BoED is forbidden. As you can read, my DM only allow Complete books (Complete Warrior, Complete Divine, etc..) and Races of books (The Wild, Destiny, etc..)

oh, and Spell Compendium..

Anyway. I'll have to check that Exorcist, if it's arcane-spellcasting based. Which book?

The_Snark
2007-06-09, 02:15 AM
Complete Divine. It's not limited to divine casters, but you'll need some Knowledge (religion and the planes) to get in, and you can't get in until after 7th level.

Races books might have something too, I don't know. Depends on your race, I suppose.

kpenguin
2007-06-09, 03:37 AM
Wizards generally have a lot of skill points anyway, but you actually have to wait until 9th level to have the requirements for Sacred Exorcist as a wizard.

Anyway, the particulars:

Requirements:
-Good alignment
- 10 ranks in Knowledge (The Planes)
- 8 ranks in Knowledge (Religion)
- Able to cast Dismissal (5th level arcane spell) or Dispel Evil (you can't cast it)
- Church Sanction (RP requirement)

Benefits:
- Full spell progression
- Turn Undead
- Exorcism (You can force out possessing spirits or demons)
- Resist Possession (exactly how it sounds)
- Detect Evil at will
- Chosen Foe (bonuses against evil outsiders or undead)
- Dispel Evil and Holy Aura as spell-like abilities
- Consecrated Presence (Permanent consecrate spell centered on you)

Luircin
2007-06-10, 08:41 PM
If you want to go for the irony, I'd recommend trying the Malconvoker from Complete Scoundrel (If it's arcane, that is. I don't remember and I don't have my book with me...). Summon evil outsiders specifically to fight against evil.

WildBill
2007-06-11, 02:31 PM
Since sacred exorcist gives turn undead attempts, can a wiz/sacred exorcist use divine metamagic or is there some restriction that DMM can only be used on divine spells?

Were-Sandwich
2007-06-11, 02:41 PM
Can't think of any arcane PrCs. Lots of melee ones though.

Like a Lion
2007-06-11, 03:09 PM
I just flipped through the Expedition to the Demonweb Pits book yesterday, and guess what? Right in the back is a PrC for demon-hunting clerics... and an adaptation that makes it for demon-hunting wizards.

Lemur
2007-06-11, 04:27 PM
Since sacred exorcist gives turn undead attempts, can a wiz/sacred exorcist use divine metamagic or is there some restriction that DMM can only be used on divine spells?

...Damn, I never thought about that. You're right, a sacred exorcist wizard could take divine metamagic. And probably should, since the turning ability won't help him much otherwise. Also, it would be fairly easy to have a favorite metamagic feat already picked by level 9, to pick up Divine Metamagic with.

Rainbow Servant kinda looks like a trap to me. My advice would be to take two levels of Fatespinner once you hit level 7, then go into Sacred Exorcist. Both have no feat requirements, so the hardest part qualifying is getting church sanction for Exorcist. In addition to getting anti-evil powers (and the potential for divine metamagic), the exorcist boasts hit die twice the size as a normal wizard, so happy times there.

Matthew
2007-06-11, 08:08 PM
I just flipped through the Expedition to the Demonweb Pits book yesterday, and guess what? Right in the back is a PrC for demon-hunting clerics... and an adaptation that makes it for demon-hunting wizards.
Hah, hah. They just can't resist, can they?